Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. (1299 Views)

Buhari’s Budget Fails Integrity Test, Says Senate / Soldiers Arrest Boko Haram Financier (photos) / PHOTO: Former Senate President David Mark's HELIPAD In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. by tyson55(m): 11:27pm On Mar 31, 2012
…Begs aggrieved football administrators to sheath the sword

President of the Senate, David Mark, has stated that it is high time Nigeria used the power and passion of football to fight insecurity and disunity in the country, stressing that even Boko Haram members watch the game.

The Nigerian third citizen, who spoke during the recent public hearing organised by the Senate Committee on Sports at the National Assembly, also appealed to the disgruntled sports administrators to quickly withdraw their cases from the courts in the interest of the game and the country.

“We used to evolve a robust sporting policy to take us where we are. Our young girls and boys need to be encouraged when they do well. There is need to continuation of policy. Today if we change a sports minister instead of continuing from where his predecessor stopped, he would rather start discrediting his predecessor. We must learn to build on what others have done.

“Before I conclude my rather lengthy address for obvious reason that I’m very interested in sports, I want to remind us that the greatest unifying factor in this country is sports. There are talks about religion and regional issues among other differences, but sports is one area we all agree. Once it involves sports, every Nigeria, irrespective of where we come from will agree.

“I believe that even Boko Haram members do watch the game of football. It is our unifying factor and we must begin to look at it from that perspective. If we get it right, we would go a long way in uniting and bringing peace in this country,” he noted. Appealing to the litigants, the former military governor, said:

“Football is only a small fraction of this public hearing, but it is very important. The big question those in court should ask is whether the litigations can help Nigerian football. If it would not help us, they should stop them.

“If they were there just for their personal interest in gains, then they should withdraw the cases from the court. They should take national interest to heart and give Nigerian interest the priority so that it is just a matter of going to win in the court.

If they win in court and it does not help our sporting activities, there is no access for the litigation,” Mark noted. He assured on the outcome of hearing, stressing: “We will follow up whatever comes out of the Senate public hearing because we are not doing it only for the National Assembly, but for the whole nation and we need all hands to be on deck.

“The media should queue up, the parliament and everybody would equally follow up so that we implement the outcome of the deliberation. I’m sure that if properly implemented, it is going to help us. Many Nigerians were truly worried about our declining performance in sports,” he noted.
Re: Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. by jmaine: 11:30pm On Mar 31, 2012
Sheer stupidity
Re: Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. by musiwa46: 11:38pm On Mar 31, 2012
he is just pulling your legs. He knows football can not arrest boko haram..

The reason for boko haram is the satellite pictures, all of the universities and schools have internet. And they are looking at the satellite pictures. And if you look at the age of the people arrested. You will notice they are all young. from Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab

They are all looking at the satellite pictures and doing their calculation about the census figures and the many lies told to them by Nigeria govt.. this is where the problem is.

There is a need to correct this things before it get out of hand.

[img]http://transformationwatch.files./2012/03/kidnapper-killers.jpg[/img]

Nigeria: UNIMAID Students Caught With Rocket Launchers - 50 Ak-47 Rifles
BY ABDULKAREEM HARUNA, 18 AUGUST 2010
Comment
Maiduguri — Two students of the University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) were among five suspects security agents paraded before reporters on Wednesday for allegedly trafficking in arms from neighbouring Chad Republic to Nigeria.

The State Security Service (SSS), which paraded them in Maiduguri, said they were caught with rocket launchers and 50 AK-47 rifles, among other weapons, and with N4.8 million cash.

Mbono Musa, a student of creative arts, and Yakubu Sule, a final year student of sociology, are grinding their noses against the cells of the SSS in Maiduguri, along with Ilesha Emmanuel, Amos Akila, and Daniel Chayi Gyang.

They allegedly trafficked weapons concealed in car doors, packaged stock fish, and other bagged foodstuff.

State SSS Director, Abdullahi Ahmed, said the suspects were caught trying to smuggle over 50 different sets of AK-47 riffles to Plateau and Taraba States.

Found in their possession, according to him, were rocket launchers, ammunition, grenades, and N4,823,500 cash; all concealed in a V-booth Mercedes Benz and a Peugeot 504 wagon taxi loaded with dried fish.

Four of the suspects were going to Jos. One, Emmanuel, was heading to Wukari, Taraba State.

Ahmed said the four travelling to Jos were arrested on July 30 with 31 riffles, two rocket launchers, N4.8 million, computer ware, and assorted ammunition.

Emmanuel was arrested on August 12 trying to smuggle 24 sets of AK 47 rifles and hundreds of ammunition, including a sophisticated rocket launcher.

Akila, 29, suspected to be the kingpin, was arrested in Kaduna in 2009 but was freed, only to be arrested later in Maiduguri.

A native of Taraba, he told Daily Independent that he lives in Cameroon doing business as fish merchant.

Akila confessed that one Yusuf sent the weapons to him from Cameroon to hand over to one Jauro who lives in Jos, but that the weapons were to be handed over in Bauchi, even though he claimed not to know the contact.

Said he: "We were taking the guns to Jauro who was going to come to Bauchi to collect them. We were later going to be forwarded with information about where he was to collect the guns.

"I am not a driver but I was the person to drive the car, which belongs to Jauro. I am from Taraba State, I am a fish farmer in Cameroon. I ply my trade in Cameroon.

"Someone sent the consignment from Cameroon and I went to collect it. I was just arriving at the house with the consignment when I met the security operatives.

"I do not know where the guns are to be taken, but Jauro asked us to meet him in Bauchi. I don't know where Jauro resides; we met at Mararaban Jos in Plateau State."

Gyang, 53, said he is a civil servant in Riyom Council, Plateau

State and that he came to Maiduguri for three days sightseeing when his friend, Abubakar, in Maraban Jema'a in Jos, encouraged him to follow Akila who was coming to Maiduguri with the friend's car, the Mercedes Benz.

He narrated that "on July 30, 2010, Akila picked me up in the hotel and we drove to a house in Maiduguri.

"While in the house, some people came knocking and I asked Akila if he was expecting any one, he said no. I opened the gate and SSS men appeared and began searching the house. I wasn't aware there were weapons in the house.

In his own account, Sule, 25, said he "came to the house last Friday. I am a 400 level sociology student of the University of Maiduguri. I have known Akila for the past three years. We were not going out for robbery.

"I had just had my bath and was going to leave for school. I do not know where they were heading to. Akila called me and I came to the house."

Musa confirmed that he is also from Taraba and a 400 level student of creative arts at UNIMAID.
Re: Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. by Beaf: 11:39pm On Mar 31, 2012
jmaine: Sheer stupidity

Word. cool
It is really out of order to mention boko haram in the same breath as leisure.
Re: Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. by musiwa46: 11:42pm On Mar 31, 2012
Nigeria: UNIMAID Students Caught With Rocket Launchers - 50 Ak-47 Rifles
BY ABDULKAREEM HARUNA, 18 AUGUST 2010
Comment
Maiduguri — Two students of the University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) were among five suspects security agents paraded before reporters on Wednesday for allegedly trafficking in arms from neighbouring Chad Republic to Nigeria.

The State Security Service (SSS), which paraded them in Maiduguri, said they were caught with rocket launchers and 50 AK-47 rifles, among other weapons, and with N4.8 million cash.

Mbono Musa, a student of creative arts, and Yakubu Sule, a final year student of sociology, are grinding their noses against the cells of the SSS in Maiduguri, along with Ilesha Emmanuel, Amos Akila, and Daniel Chayi Gyang.

They allegedly trafficked weapons concealed in car doors, packaged stock fish, and other bagged foodstuff.

State SSS Director, Abdullahi Ahmed, said the suspects were caught trying to smuggle over 50 different sets of AK-47 riffles to Plateau and Taraba States.

Found in their possession, according to him, were rocket launchers, ammunition, grenades, and N4,823,500 cash; all concealed in a V-booth Mercedes Benz and a Peugeot 504 wagon taxi loaded with dried fish.

Four of the suspects were going to Jos. One, Emmanuel, was heading to Wukari, Taraba State.

Ahmed said the four travelling to Jos were arrested on July 30 with 31 riffles, two rocket launchers, N4.8 million, computer ware, and assorted ammunition.

Emmanuel was arrested on August 12 trying to smuggle 24 sets of AK 47 rifles and hundreds of ammunition, including a sophisticated rocket launcher.

Akila, 29, suspected to be the kingpin, was arrested in Kaduna in 2009 but was freed, only to be arrested later in Maiduguri.

A native of Taraba, he told Daily Independent that he lives in Cameroon doing business as fish merchant.

Akila confessed that one Yusuf sent the weapons to him from Cameroon to hand over to one Jauro who lives in Jos, but that the weapons were to be handed over in Bauchi, even though he claimed not to know the contact.

Said he: "We were taking the guns to Jauro who was going to come to Bauchi to collect them. We were later going to be forwarded with information about where he was to collect the guns.

"I am not a driver but I was the person to drive the car, which belongs to Jauro. I am from Taraba State, I am a fish farmer in Cameroon. I ply my trade in Cameroon.

"Someone sent the consignment from Cameroon and I went to collect it. I was just arriving at the house with the consignment when I met the security operatives.

"I do not know where the guns are to be taken, but Jauro asked us to meet him in Bauchi. I don't know where Jauro resides; we met at Mararaban Jos in Plateau State."

Gyang, 53, said he is a civil servant in Riyom Council, Plateau

State and that he came to Maiduguri for three days sightseeing when his friend, Abubakar, in Maraban Jema'a in Jos, encouraged him to follow Akila who was coming to Maiduguri with the friend's car, the Mercedes Benz.

He narrated that "on July 30, 2010, Akila picked me up in the hotel and we drove to a house in Maiduguri.

"While in the house, some people came knocking and I asked Akila if he was expecting any one, he said no. I opened the gate and SSS men appeared and began searching the house. I wasn't aware there were weapons in the house.

In his own account, Sule, 25, said he "came to the house last Friday. I am a 400 level sociology student of the University of Maiduguri. I have known Akila for the past three years. We were not going out for robbery.

"I had just had my bath and was going to leave for school. I do not know where they were heading to. Akila called me and I came to the house."

Musa confirmed that he is also from Taraba and a 400 level student of creative arts at UNIMAID.
Re: Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. by MeGaStReEt: 12:48am On Apr 01, 2012
lol
Re: Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. by Nobody: 4:49am On Apr 01, 2012
Why is Nigeria stuck in April 1st throughout the whole year?
Re: Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. by musiwa46: 4:52am On Apr 01, 2012
blind govt , see some of your universities

In a civil war, they will be gone. you have so many thing to loss.
Re: Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. by Nobody: 5:10am On Apr 01, 2012
Musiwa!!! lol
Re: Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. by MrGlobe(m): 6:11am On Apr 01, 2012
why do we have these kind of useless, primitive and clueless people running this country?? With this, I declare Nigeria shall NEVER be great. Nigeria will remain a third world country because we have third world leaders
Re: Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. by MrGlobe(m): 6:30am On Apr 01, 2012
I will gladly retract my statement above if this turns out to be an April fool joke grin grin
Re: Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. by White007(m): 2:55pm On Apr 01, 2012
^^^ it is not an April fool...the Mofo actually uttered those Balderdash. The story was culled from the vangurd of yestarday.
Re: Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark. by antartica(m): 3:17pm On Apr 01, 2012
The nigerian senate kingpin forgot that the islamists hates football just as much as they hate western education. David west is an uninformed thieving zombie,totally oblivious of reality. To animals like reality is just about sharing nigeria spoils and using conniving agents to hide it away in some crooked european,american and caribbean banks.

(1) (Reply)

Biafra Declaration: Biafra Zionist Movement (BZM) Is Childish, Says MASSOB / £365,000 Detached House Of Nigerian Terrorist's Father , Raided And Sealed Off / Ado Ekiti Has The Worst Light Situation In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.