Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,381 members, 7,829,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Is She Married??? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is She Married??? (4257 Views)

Woman Searching For Long Lost Mother Discovers She Married Own Brother / Nigerian Lady Says Its Not Her Duty To Cook For A Man (even One She's Married To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is She Married??? by GinaUkey(f): 8:17pm On Apr 01, 2012
Hi Everyone,

My dear friend went to Nigeria to marry a wonderful man. She was given a marriage certificate by the local Pentecostal church where her husband attends.

They did not do a traditional wedding nor did they do a registry/court wedding.

When she filed for him to come to America, The US Embassy said she is not recognized as being married. The Nigerian laws also do not recognize this union.

She is being told that the marriage certificate she was given by the church is a personal one and not an FRN Marriage license.

Is this true? If she is not married? Then what is she? What did the Pastor perform?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: Is She Married??? by kelz88(f): 8:26pm On Apr 01, 2012
Hope it ain't true cos I don't plan to do traditional or court wedding. Btw, didn't know you get certificate for traditional wedding. Who issues it?
Re: Is She Married??? by GinaUkey(f): 8:31pm On Apr 01, 2012
kelz88: Hope it ain't true cos I don't plan to do traditional or court wedding. Btw, didn't know you get certificate for traditional wedding. Who issues it?

No! You don't get a certificate after you do the traditional wedding. I'm being told you get one after you do the court wedding but the traditional wedding is recognized by the customary laws of Nigeria
Re: Is She Married??? by Dyt(f): 8:33pm On Apr 01, 2012
Yes she s bt nt by law
Re: Is She Married??? by kelz88(f): 8:38pm On Apr 01, 2012
Ah! That means court wedding is even more important than church wedding. Oh dear!! Naija doesn't recognise her church one? Haba. Why didn't someone mention it to your friend?! Annoying.
Re: Is She Married??? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 01, 2012
Yes...most communities now issue certificate for traditonal marriages.
Yes... Catholic and Anglican marriage are the only universally accepted certicate as regard marriages
Yes...Religiously,they are married and bound by the principles and tenets of God and not State.

1 Like

Re: Is She Married??? by kelz88(f): 8:44pm On Apr 01, 2012
Ah!! No wonder my folks have only the church one. (I'm good then. Pheww)
Re: Is She Married??? by nat138: 11:35pm On Apr 01, 2012
Gina-Ukey:
Hi Everyone,

My dear friend went to Nigeria to marry a wonderful man. She was given a marriage certificate by the local Pentecostal church where her husband attends.

They did not do a traditional wedding nor did they do a registry/court wedding.

When she filed for him to come to America, The US Embassy said she is not recognized as being married. The Nigerian laws also do not recognize this union.

She is being told that the marriage certificate she was given by the church is a personal one and not an FRN Marriage license.

Is this true? If she is not married? Then what is she? What did the Pastor perform?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tell your friend to take the certificate given to her by the church to the registry court. The court should be able to endorse it and certify it valid.
Re: Is She Married??? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Apr 01, 2012
Abeg dis thread should be moved to the family section jare
Re: Is She Married??? by LailaIkeji1: 11:58pm On Apr 01, 2012
wt so many churches springing up here n there, anyone can claim he can officiate a wedding. Even banks here dnt accept just church certificates as evidence of marriage oo
Re: Is She Married??? by Rocktation(f): 1:22am On Apr 02, 2012
Yeah, the FRN marriage certificate is the only recognised kind at the embassy. And this is given by only very recognised big churches like the Catholic church, Anglican and maybe the headquarters of some pentecostal churches. This is how it works, the marriage registry gives these churches the right to give out these certificates, but not before a certain kind of permit is collected at the registry by intending couples. That way, they keep records of the number/whatever of people getting married. There's no way you can get that from just any road-side church. I suggest that your friend and her husband (or not?) go back to the headquarter and demand for it or consider re-marriage at someplace more worthy.
Re: Is She Married??? by mogunremi: 8:47pm On Apr 02, 2012
It won't be recognised in the USA anyway and I would ask her not to register it yet even if she can. Are you sure he didn't do this little marriage intentionally? Most Nigerian men who want to be married surely know that this little arrangement wouldn't suffice?
This sounds like a very familiar story. Be careful!
Does the guy have documents in the USA and does he have his proper passport? (even if he has shown her one)
Please make sure you find all that info out before taking further steps in this 'marriage'
Not trying to steal her joy or anything but why don't they get married properly in the USA as well?
You have to have been in Nigeria before the proper wedding takes place as well (is it at least 3/4 weeks?)

It also means that because the marriage is not recognised nor will a divorce be recognised in any eventuality.
If Nigerian law does not recognise it or USA law doesn't then I would smell something dodgy there.
Has the woman met his family?
Re: Is She Married??? by GinaUkey(f): 1:50am On Apr 04, 2012
Rocktation: Yeah, the FRN marriage certificate is the only recognised kind at the embassy. And this is given by only very recognised big churches like the Catholic church, Anglican and maybe the headquarters of some pentecostal churches. This is how it works, the marriage registry gives these churches the right to give out these certificates, but not before a certain kind of permit is collected at the registry by intending couples. That way, they keep records of the number/whatever of people getting married. There's no way you can get that from just any road-side church. I suggest that your friend and her husband (or not?) should go back to the headquarter and demand for it or consider re-marriage at someplace more worthy.

Thanks Rocktation,

She will take the marriage certificate to the courts and see what they can do.

The Pastor never asked the couple for their permit, he just married them with no license or anything.
Re: Is She Married??? by plaetton: 3:57pm On Apr 04, 2012
Although our laws recognize tradional marraige,the court wedding supersedes it in legel matters. The church wedding is mostly ceremonial and does not carry much legal weight outside the country except if it is accompanied by wedding certificate from a court or local governtment registry.
Re: Is She Married??? by GinaUkey(f): 3:48pm On Apr 05, 2012
plaetton: Although our laws recognize tradional marraige,the court wedding supersedes it in legel matters. The church wedding is mostly ceremonial and does not carry much legal weight outside the country except if it is accompanied by wedding certificate from a court or local governtment registry.

So in essence all she had was a ceremonial wedding.
Re: Is She Married??? by ayemko: 11:44am On Mar 06, 2013
can churche in the uk conduct marriage blessing with just a church certificate and not a registry certificate?
Re: Is She Married??? by coldgate(f): 9:06pm On Mar 06, 2013
She needs to do a registry wedding. I would also recommend she watches the old movie:' Why do fools fall in love' for a better understanding.
Re: Is She Married??? by Mrsmansson(f): 8:43am On Mar 07, 2013
kelz88: Hope it ain't true cos I don't plan to do traditional or court wedding. Btw, didn't know you get certificate for traditional wedding. Who issues it?
You get a certificate for traditional marriage from my place.I have one,signed by my hubby and I.it is issued by one of the council men in the village.
Re: Is She Married??? by chioma134: 12:20pm On Mar 09, 2013
pls those who know should explain further. I have an Anglican marriage certificate,and one day I went to do something in court. I made enquiries about registry marriage and was told I did not need it since I already wedded in one of d recognized churches. However,I'm still confused. Why don't I need it?
Re: Is She Married??? by GinaUkey(f): 2:33pm On Mar 10, 2013
chioma134: pls those who know should explain further. I have an Anglican marriage certificate,and one day I went to do something in court. I made enquiries about registry marriage and was told I did not need it since I already wedded in one of d recognized churches. However,I'm still confused. Why don't I need it?

It means that your marriage is legal.

You do not need a registry license because your church is a church that is licensed to perform marriages (by law) and is therefore recognized by the country.
Re: Is She Married??? by ayemko: 4:21pm On Apr 08, 2013
nat138:

Tell your friend to take the certificate given to her by the church to the registry court. The court should be able to endorse it and certify it valid.

also i wish i was married that way a cermonial wedding
Re: Is She Married??? by uchbabybaby: 5:24pm On Apr 08, 2013
This is to teach people to mind the churches they go to wed

1 Like

Re: Is She Married??? by GinaUkey(f): 1:19pm On Apr 09, 2013
uchbabybaby: This is to teach people to mind the churches they go to wed

Pastors whose churches are NOT licensed need to inform their congregation that marriages performed in their churches are not legal but only ceremonial.

(1) (Reply)

Married To A Spoilt Child / My Aunty's Husband Wants To Marry Me, Should I Tell My Aunt? / Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.