Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,712 members, 7,824,022 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism (1876 Views)

Boko Haram Raids Borno Village Of Foodstuffs Then Sets It Ablaze / 'unicorn Woman' Set To Have 'horn' Removed From Head In China (see Photos) / 10 Feared Dead, Houses Set Ablaze As Boko Haram Launches Fresh Attacks On Borno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by edgecution(m): 10:40am On Nov 02, 2007
Na wa o. Wetin be dis kain thing. Na by force make u stay for Europe?? Stupid woman, YOUR ACTION WILL NOT STOP ANYTHING.
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by edgecution(m): 10:43am On Nov 02, 2007
African Woman Sets Herself On Fire To Protest Racism

The horrifying sight which traumatized shoppers and office workers in the centre of Luxembourg City last week has now been labeled as a protest against racism. The Belgian woman of Congolese origin who set herself alight in the middle of Place d’Armes told witnesses that she was! doing it to protest against racism, moments before she carried out th e desperate act which has left her in hospital fighting for her life.

Maggy Delvaux-Mufu, a mother of three in her forties, alerted several national newspapers late on Tuesday morning last week that she would be burning herself alive on place des Martyrs at 12.45 am, before setting out accompanied by her husband to walk through the centre of town to her macabre rendezvous. The police were alerted and officers were deployed to the Rousegärtchen.

But the woman changed her plan when she came across a group of journalists gathered to cover an event organized by the ‘Movement écologique’ on Place d’Armes, opposite the Cercle municipal. She soaked herself in petrol before confronting the members of the press, announcing that she was about to sacrifice her life to protest against racism. Moments later, she struck a match, turning herself into a human torch in front of hundreds of people.

Delvaux-Mufu’ s husband and passers-by jumped on the burning body, attempting to stifle the flames with coats and jackets. The sce! ne made several people feel unwell and many witnesses who filled the square at lunchtime were traumatized by the woman’s shrieking screams of unimaginable pain. The flames were already extinguished when police, rescue services and the fire brigade arrived at the scene. One person is reported to have vomited after seeing the woman being transported into an ambulance. The events in Place d’Armes have also started a controversy regarding the authorities’ lack of psychological support for witnesses
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by Nobody: 11:22am On Nov 02, 2007
hmnn, so sad, maybe she'll be like some martin luther king jnr
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by Carlosein(m): 12:26pm On Nov 02, 2007
maybe she should have thought the thing through first before acting undecided undecided
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by Kobojunkie: 12:34pm On Nov 02, 2007
What she may have needed seems to have been some drugs for her madness!!!
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by Carlosein(m): 12:37pm On Nov 02, 2007
BTW, does anyone have an idea how she's doing now?
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by analyt82(f): 9:23pm On Nov 02, 2007
I understand her cause, but her plan was illogical and idiotic. She tried something that was too drastic and what not many ppl would want to follow through with or participate in. She ends up alone and scared with no support. shocked A less scaring approach would have probably made more sense. Or maybe this was the last straw b/c nothing else was working. . . Who knows why she went so far. . . .
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by YangaRat: 6:30am On Nov 03, 2007
Look how madness dey affect person differrent-different. Instead make the woman go back to dem village for Congo to siddon for ground dey chop Congo-meat there and forget about how white man hate am, this MUMU IDIOT woman go take petrol baf and carry matches come take fire turn herself to roasted Congo-Meat when nobody go fit chop.

Maybe when the woman reach heaven, God go tell am whether white man don stop to dey hate black people for Belgium.
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by bruce(m): 1:51pm On Nov 03, 2007
what amazed most was the fact that the husband was aware of her intended action and that she did not concealed it from others even to the office of the Prime Minister.

They all did not stop her, untill it happened the husband ran to put off the fire. STUPIDITY. I think the cause she is fighting by setting herself ablaze is not justified.
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by KubeSolja: 7:08pm On Nov 03, 2007
Useless woman. White man will NEVER accept the black man, and all y'all in yankee, jans or whatever u wanna call it, know very well how racism is institutionalised in the west. Human rights, equal opportunity is all white man trying to make himself look good and cover up 400yrs of overt slavery.

She's lucky some white supremacists did not add kerosine to help her with the fire, FOOLISH AFRICAN MENTALITY! Does she think that's what will grant her permanent residency 4 europe, idiotic woman.

KubeSolja. OUT! grin
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by ono(m): 12:59am On Nov 04, 2007
Yanga Rat:

Look how madness dey affect person differrent-different. Instead make the woman go back to them village for Congo to siddon for ground dey chop Congo-meat there and forget about how white man hate am, this MUMU IDIOT woman go take petrol baf and carry matches come take fire turn herself to roasted Congo-Meat when nobody go fit chop.

Maybe when the woman reach heaven, God go tell am whether white man don stop to dey hate black people for Belgium.

Couldn't have expressed it better.
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by chuckdee4(m): 12:59pm On Nov 05, 2007
How stupid if her, i understand the point she was trying to make but that was just stupidly extreme
To think that she has 3 kids, was she thinking who would take care of them in her absence.
Rasicm is something that will alwyas be here, is it worth u killing urself over?
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by btayo1(m): 6:12pm On Nov 05, 2007
I do agree that her actions is a drastic; but we should not forget the issue she is highlighting; we should also consider and try to find out what sort of situations that she must have been subjected to; being tormented and subjected to inhumane situations could lead even the most sane of us to take actions that we wouldnt normally do. Am not justifying her actions in any way. We could liken this to our brothers in the niger situation taking up arms and sorts; if they have not been deprived for so long; most of these our would not be engaging in such.
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by Kobojunkie: 6:14pm On Nov 05, 2007
btayo1:

I do agree that her actions is a drastic; but we should not forget the issue she is highlighting; we should also consider and try to find out what sort of situations that she must have been subjected to; being tormented and subjected to inhumane situations could lead even the most sane of us to take actions that we wouldnt normally do. Am not justifying her actions in any way. We could liken this to our brothers in the niger situation taking up arms and sorts; if they have not been deprived for so long; most of these our would not be engaging in such.

No matter what she was subjected to, her action was STUPID and IMBECILIC. Why do we not get the same from the many slaves who live today in Africa in Appalling situations, doing the same? We do not see people in Darfur burning themselves up cause of what they are being put through. Some idiot in Europe does it?? How appalling!!
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 05, 2007
I'm sure it's the same white men treating her for 3rd degree burns.
She needs to be deported let them use juices from awolowo leaves on her healing wounds.
ewu congo brazaville grin
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by grafikdon: 11:19pm On Nov 05, 2007
The woman is the king of idiots and imbeciles. Ewu
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by folahann(m): 12:15am On Nov 06, 2007
The sad story is that this will not change the situation of Racism.
Another thing is that, she would got the chance to come and see people suffering in Africa, then she will be to chose between racism and poverty.
Some people will even contest to be racially abused, she absolutely stupid
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by chuckdee4(m): 12:06pm On Nov 06, 2007
They are so many other ways she could have made a statement, rather than inflicting this pain upon herself, after all she did how much public press did she generate - NOT MUCH -
For crying out loud she's got kids and nothing is worth u taking ur life over especially when u got kids
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by JustGood(m): 3:43pm On Nov 06, 2007
Kobojunkie:

No matter what she was subjected to, her action was STUPID and IMBECILIC. Why do we not get the same from the many slaves who live today in Africa in Appalling situations, doing the same? We do not see people in Darfur burning themselves up cause of what they are being put through. Some idiot in Europe does it?? How appalling!!

It seems you believe that her situation in Europe has to be better than if she were in Africa. You're mistaken.

Situations get worse when you see things around you that you cannot aspire to for certain reasons depending on how you percieve those things. If she was in Africa, she may be poor without feeling as bad as she felt in the midst of white people who (probably) made her feel less human simply as a result of her skin colour. I'm not saying this is exactly the case but it is wrong for you to assume that she cannot be in a worse state than she could have been in Africa.

Think about it

Hope I did not come across as justifying her action
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by Kobojunkie: 4:26pm On Nov 06, 2007
JustGood:

It seems you believe that her situation in Europe has to be better than if she were in Africa. You're mistaken.

Situations get worse when you see things around you that you cannot aspire to for certain reasons depending on how you percieve those things. If she was in Africa, she may be poor without feeling as bad as she felt in the midst of white people who (probably) made her feel less human simply as a result of her skin colour. I'm not saying this is exactly the case but it is wrong for you to assume that she cannot be in a worse state than she could have been in Africa.

Think about it

Hope I did not come across as justifying her action

I believe you misread my post there @JustGood. I did not say anything about her being in Africa. I said If she felt it is her place to burn herself in the name of RACISM, what then should the African Slaves who to this day in Africa suffer at the hands of their masters do?? You do know that Slavery and Racism exists in Africa? There are slaves to this day in Africa who get their limbs chopped off or are dealt terrible punishments because they are considered second hand citizens of this planet due to their skin color.

By the way, if Living in Europe is so bad, why did she not choose to move back home to suffer that instead?? Whichever way you slice and dice it, what she did is still stupid and imbecilic and I hope she regrets it for the rest of her life and people learn from her stupidity to stop being stupid.
Re: African Woman Set Herself Ablaze Over Racism by Stardust(f): 5:12pm On Nov 07, 2007
I was so shocked  shocked to hear about someone trying to take her own life just to prove a point. Though, I can see her point of view, however, is this a cause worthy of killing one's self? Ok, It may not be the best of feeling when someone looks down their nose at you (for whatever really - race, gender, size etc), but is it really that bad that you'll want to kill yourself. Considering that she has 3 kids and a husband, she should consider herself lucky, for there are many people suffering with no one to share their burden with.

I love the Nigerian mentality, 'cos I know no matter what, a typical Nigerian will always choose life. However, not everyone has been programmed that way; and it is a shame   cry.  On a serious note, I think we as proud, strong Blacks should understand that not everyone is as strong or sensible as we are, hence, we should be more accomodating. However, this doesn't change my opinion that what she did is wrong. But more importantly, it is a sad and desperate cry for help. And i do hope she gets the help needed.

(1) (Reply)

Was Bakassi Sold Or Just A Gift To Cameroon ? / Member Of Parliament Resigns For Admiring Woman! / Revenue Mobilization Allocation & Fiscal Commission - The Constitution In Breach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.