Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Do Nigerians Have A Healthy Reading Culture? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Do Nigerians Have A Healthy Reading Culture? (901 Views)

The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse / What Type Of Magazine Will You Like To Read- National Reading Culture Survey / What Happened To Our Reading Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerians Have A Healthy Reading Culture? by maclatunji: 2:06pm On Apr 04, 2012
I ask this question because browsing through Nairaland, I find people stating that a particular post is too long for them to read, someone else "should read and summarise it for them." I get really angry when I see such comments; I feel it is either you are interested in a write-up or you are not. Either way, it is your choice. However, when you ask other people to read for you, that is just laziness in my opinion and is a very wrong attitude to have especially if you are a youth. How can you learn when you cannot read. Think about it, someone actually wrote that which you seek to dismiss; where do you stand in comparison to that person?

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Have A Healthy Reading Culture? by mute4real: 10:35pm On Apr 06, 2012
It's a very pitiable state we are in. I gave one of my notes to someone to read yesterday, before she got halfway she was already complaining that it was too long. But I know she won't be bored watching one of those stupid Nollywood or is it Nakedwood movies for hours. Yet she could not spend 5mins to read a short article.
Re: Do Nigerians Have A Healthy Reading Culture? by MyneWhite1(f): 5:31am On Apr 07, 2012
The reader has to know that what they're reading is interesting before they keep reading. If you don't hook them in the first few lines or pages, then the writer is just as at fault as the reader.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Have A Healthy Reading Culture? by maclatunji: 6:28am On Apr 07, 2012
^I know of what you speak of. However, we have many lazy people whose refusal to read a story/article or anything else has nothing to do with the abilities of the writer. They wouldn't be asking other people to summarise for them if they didn't have interest, they are just lazy and will hardly improve that way.
Re: Do Nigerians Have A Healthy Reading Culture? by EfemenaXY: 1:39pm On Apr 07, 2012
maclatunji: I ask this question because browsing through Nairaland, I find people stating that a particular post is too long for them to read, someone else "should read and summarise it for them." I get really angry when I see such comments; I feel it is either you are interested in a write-up or you are not. Either way, it is your choice. However, when you ask other people to read for you, that is just laziness in my opinion and is a very wrong attitude to have especially if you are a youth. How can you learn when you cannot read. Think about it, someone actually wrote that which you seek to dismiss; where do you stand in comparison to that person?

Not necessarily though.

Sometimes the writer or poster is equally at fault and I can think of a few examples:

* When the writer / poster on a particular thread simply pastes a link and directs people to click on it. I think this is laziness on the part of the writer and in such an instance it would be a lot better if the writer first gives their views on a particular topic before pasting a link for further information. Just as Myne White mentioned earlier, if the writer captivates my interest within the first few lines - and I mean really captivates my interest, then I'll click on the link to learn more.

* When the writer's language construction is extremely poor. In this instance you find going through the poster's write up really tasking and almost unbearably painful. In such cases I know I'd rather someone else reads it up for me or the poster simply summarizes it, moreso if there is hardly any use of punctuation and the write up seems to go on and on and on. . .

I think it all boils down to how creative the writer is with presenting their arguments / facts. I've seen a couple of topics initiated by the poster and even though these were quite lengthy, boy did they express themselves well and I was truly captivated hook, line and sinker. Here's an example I found a few days ago: A debate on whether we as Nigerians are arrogant or not.

https://www.nairaland.com/898486/hate-arrogance-nigerians
Re: Do Nigerians Have A Healthy Reading Culture? by maclatunji: 4:01pm On Apr 07, 2012
^Okay, I agree with that.

(1) (Reply)

Excerpts From Chinua Achebe's Recently Published War Memoir- There Was A Country / May Your Road Be Rough!!! / >>>>>>>harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.