Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,898 members, 7,834,981 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti (1621 Views)

Police Disrupts Gay Marriage In Abuja (photo) / 10-year-old Girl Rescued From A Sex Attacker In Ekiti / Lagos Prostitution Camp Where Underage Girls Are Recruited (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti by nanos: 2:19pm On Apr 05, 2012
Underage girl abducted, forced into marriage in Ekiti
From CHARLES ADEGBITE, Ado-Ekiti
Thursday, April 05, 2012

Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

A 16-year-old girl (name withheld) from Kogi State has been abducted and forced into marriage in Orun-Ekiti, Ekiti State, by a traditional chief to mark his chieftaincy installation rite. She was allegedly taken away from her parents under the pretence that the traditional ruler of the Orun-Ekiti wanted to see her.

The girl, now in the custody of the Ekiti State Ministry of Women Affairs and Gender Empowerment, was said to have been kept secretly for seven days by the chief before the state government came to her rescue. Ekiti State Commissioner for Women Affairs and Gender Empowerment, Mrs Fola Richie-Adewusi said the action was against the state Laws on Gender Violence Prohibition and Child Right.

The chief, who allegedly abducted the girl, allegedly approached the parents with a horse tail believed to be an authority from the monarch of Orun-Ekiti, saying the girl was needed in the palace. Speaking on the issue, the Women Commissioner disclosed that the alleged chief only wanted to use his little wealth to oppress the poor and forcefully marry the little girl without the parents’ consent.

The chief, according to the commissioner, has been arrested but released on bail while the government has started the process of legal action against him. When Daily Sun met the Oloja of Orun-Ekiti, Oba Osalusi Oluwasola, explained that the chief came to him that he has gotten an “Abokoaye” (a young girl that a man who is a about to get chieftaincy title must have before the rites could be completed) and that the monarch should give him an authority to bring the girl to the palace.

He explained that he did not know the agreement between the man and the girl’s parents, saying he believed that the man should have consulted the parents and done all the necessary things for the parents to give him their daughter.
The Oloja maintained that it was custom in their community as he did similar thing when he was about to be made a High Chief as Oloja in the 1970s.

According to the monarch, it was his family member who helped him look for his “Abokoaaye” whom he said was an under-aged girl then but emphasized that he sent the girl back to her parents after all the rites had been done and exercised patience until three years when the girl was matured enough to be married before he brought her home as new wife.

He appealed to the government for understanding, saying it was their custom and if it was contrary to the law of Ekiti State now then such a thing would not happen again and that the chief should go and do all he could to appeal to the parents of the girl, and if needed he should wait for the age the law specified.

All efforts to reach the chief on phone failed and the monarch said he had travelled down to Ado-Ekiti and that he did not know when he would be back.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/apr/05/national-05-04-2012-016.html
Re: Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti by Yeske2(m): 3:24pm On Apr 05, 2012
What do we make of this?
Re: Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti by nanos: 3:30pm On Apr 05, 2012
Yeske!:
What do we make of this?

Innit grand to learn that there is officially (culturally)-permissible child robbery in good o'l Yorubaland?
Re: Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti by Almaiga: 4:00pm On Apr 05, 2012
I tought under age marriages are only practiced by hausa/fulani
Re: Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti by Nobody: 5:01pm On Apr 05, 2012
Haha, this one na child's play compared to yerima though.
Re: Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti by Nobody: 5:04pm On Apr 05, 2012
Panzastrip: Na yaruba for u

Atleast better than gang raping young girls and grandmothers like the abia gang rape.
Re: Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti by nanos: 5:52pm On Apr 05, 2012
saxywale:

Atleast better than gang raping young girls and grandmothers like the abia gang rape.

Gang rapists have also been arrested in many parts of Yorubaland. For e.g:

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/04/02/lady-gang-raped-by-10-men-inside-hotel-room/

But this issue of official child molestation by Yoruba big wigs is mind boggling.
Re: Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti by nanos: 5:56pm On Apr 05, 2012
saxywale:

And another

Gang rape: Police arrest LASU student
On October 8, 2011 · In Crime Guard
12:00 am
Email0

By Evelyn Usman

Looking exhausted and pale, apparently unable to fathom how she managed to make it to her Festac home last Friday, after she was gang -raped in an uncompleted building on Ago palace way, in Okota area of Isolo, Lagos, Sandy , as she is fondly called, recalled with pain what she described as the worst experience she has ever had in her 20 years of existence.

On closer observation, the Anambra state- born bar attendant in a popular hotel in Festac Town was discovered to have visible mark of bite on her right shoulder and chest,coupled with bruises on other parts of her body, an injury she reportedly sustained in her bid to free herself from the rapists.

Unfortunately, her strength could not match those of the two men, as one of them reportedly pinned her two hands down while the other pinned her two legs to the ground as he unfastened her belt. At a point, she became weak and watched helplessly as one of the men had carnal knowledge of her against her will.

As if that was not enough , the principal perpetrator, a 200 level student of the Lagos State University, identified as Olushola Owolabi , took some photographs of Sandy in her nude , threatening to paste it on her facebook for the whole world to see if she revealed what transpired to anybody including the Police.

the suspects

Narrating her four hour-ordeal in the hands of Olushola and his alleged accomplice, Tayo Adewale, Sandy said, “ Shola happens to be a casual friend and we have been discussing on phone before he took advantage of me. He is not my boyfriend and the relationship is just a platonic one.I had problem in my place of work because I did not show up owing to my father’s illness and I was sacked.

In the course of my looking for a job , I went to Surulere last Friday and on my way back home, Shola called me on the phone and invited me over to Century hotel, Ago. I went because I needed someone to pour my heart out to. But when I got there, he asked me to follow him to his house for him to change into another cloth and I did, unaware that he had something else up his sleeve.

On reaching his house, he started delaying and before I knew it, he approached me, wanting to handle me but I refused. Then all of a sudden, he started hitting me and dragging my cloth while his friend, Tayo started unzipping my trouser.

He has never asked me out before, neither have I collected money from him. He usually comes to buy drink from the hotel I work.

He started right from 3pm and ended at about 7pm non stop . All my plea fell on deaf ears. He even brought out a knife and threatened to kill me saying nothing would happen at the end of the day.

When he was done, I could not wear my cloths because they were in shreds. He gave me his to wear home and warned me not to tell anyone threatening that if I did, he would paste the picture of my nude in my face book for all to see.

I can not tell how I managed to get home because before then, I was sick . But I summoned courage and told my cousin and together we went to the hospital where I was given some medication.

Policemen from Festac division were reportedly contacted , consequent upon which the Divisional Police Officer, Mr Usman Ndanbabo, a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), detailed some of his men to effect the suspects arrest. But only one of them, Tayo was arrested on Sunday while the principal suspect, Olushola reportedly fled his home.

But the DPO, as gathered, directed his men to keep watch over the premises , until Olusola surfaced Wednesday , only to be arrested. Olushola who admitted to have actually forced Sandy against her will, claimed he did it out of love for her.
Re: Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti by Yeske2(m): 9:19pm On Apr 05, 2012
saxywale:

Same as they did to high school students in Ogun state on their way to Lagos, not forgetting the poor corp member in Osun state, fool.
Re: Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti by Nobody: 7:27am On Apr 06, 2012
Yeske!:
Same as they did to high school students in Ogun state on their way to Lagos, not forgetting the poor corp member in Osun state, fool.

Bas.tard, if you lot have stayed in your damned landlocked land, your sisters wouldn't have been r.aped.
Re: Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti by Nobody: 8:04am On Apr 06, 2012
nanos:

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/04/02/lady-gang-raped-by-10-men-inside-hotel-room/

But this issue of official child molestation by Yoruba big wigs is mind boggling.

Child molestation is not peculiar in nature to SW alone, I was jus trying to let the ediot that mentioned Yoruba as Yoruba people know that.
Re: Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti by Nobody: 8:07am On Apr 06, 2012
nanos:

Re: Underage Girl Abducted, Forced Into Marriage In Ekiti by Yeske2(m): 8:08am On Apr 07, 2012
saxywale:

Bas.tard, if you lot have stayed in your damned landlocked land, your sisters wouldn't have been r.aped.
Obviously, i can see it's in your DNA from so many posts above so no big deal.

(1) (Reply)

5 Most Evil Women In History Of The World. / See Photos Of What SARS Did To A Boy at Agbowa / 1st Black Death Row Prisoner Executed Under Donald Trump’s Presidency (photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.