Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,068 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:55 PM

A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! (2006 Views)

Keshi Invites 15 Overseas-based Players, Shuns Mikel(list OF INVITED PLAYERS) / Drogba Could Face Manchester Unitedas Chelsea Hit By Injury Crisis / New Manchester Utd Nick Names ;D Add Yours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by Blogicon1(m): 6:53am On Apr 06, 2012
Authoritative word has been going round in the Ghanaian media about EPL's club, Manchester United, Visiting Ghana, S.A and other small Arican countries, but leaving Nigeria out of their itinerary.

Now, this may not be a deliberate action by the English team to make a mockery of Nigeria (I personally don't see it that way), but my problem is the way the Ghanaians are exploiting the situation. They are hammering on the fact that Nigeria is a failure for the mere reason of being 'shunned' by Man U, while visiting them, alongside other 'small' countries. The go ahead to make fun of boko haram bombimg them and all. I don't get1

Here is the news source...

English Premier League giants Manchester United are billed to visit Ghana come April 13th, and I hear they are coming over with the Premiership Cup they won last season, for a showcase.

I am made to understand that the Champions will also be touching other African countries – Kenya, Senegal, and South Africa.

A statement to the media said the purpose is to showcase the Premiership Cup in Ghana, and also to fraternize with their teeming fans in the aforementioned countries. The team will be accompanied by former Manchester United striker Andrew Cole and some officials of the club. The cup will be on display at the La Palm Royal Beach Hotel for three hours on the said date.

This could mean good things to Ghanian football. This is an indication that Ghanaian football has come of age. Oh yes!

Does anyone notice anything weird about this report? Something big is missing in between the report. If you are seeing and thinking what I am thinking, then let us know in the comment section. As for me, I "comment" my "reserve" smiley

source: http://www.ghanacrunch.com/2012/manchester-united-to-visit-ghana-on-the-13th-of-april/

What do you guys think?
Re: A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by MeGaStReEt: 1:21pm On Apr 06, 2012
@Op you have short memory, Manchester United and Portsmouth came to Nigeria a few years back and Arsenal are to visit next

The Red Devils, as Manchester United is fondly called, choose Nigeria as one of their pre-season destinations because of the large crowd of followership in terms of fans the club has in the country.

Besides, if they'd chose to visit Ghana or any other African before coming to Nigeria, I don't see how that is a problem. Una tooo get wahala

2 Likes

Re: A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by ayusman16(m): 3:28pm On Apr 06, 2012
Why making an issue over this? They weree in Nigeria some years ago moreover Arsenal is coming......
Re: A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by MeGaStReEt: 8:27pm On Apr 06, 2012
Its a slap to OP's face not Nigerians

1 Like

Re: A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by deekseen(m): 11:57pm On Apr 08, 2012
Slap ko punch ni. Before and after Man U and Portsmouth we had Brazil and Argentina respectively. Even if they didn't come, i still don't see how it is a 'National slap'.
Re: A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by omar22(m): 1:41pm On Apr 10, 2012
Yeah the last last they came to Nigeria, Rooney had malaria!!!
Re: A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by Olaolufred(m): 3:44pm On Apr 10, 2012
Not at all a slap. Not even a local or National.
Factors are responsible for the Man. U's management's decision.
Nigeria is Terrorist ridden for now. Safety = 0 for nigeria.
MU fc will not play with her resources going into the Lion's den.
However, they can consider Nigeria after Jonah has stamped out BH by june as he declared in Far East.
Let us wait and see.
Re: A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 10, 2012
i really don't see this as an insult at all.
by the way arsenal are going to be coming anyway so it'd not make much sense to have both teams in the same country at the same time.
Re: A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by babs84(m): 6:23pm On Apr 12, 2012
Where were Ɣ☺ΰ wen Nigeria hosted Manchester United in 2010. A deal was struckd btw Man united and Glo. Go check ur history book olodo.
Re: A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by bravozeroone: 1:12am On Dec 01, 2012
Does anyone know which companies or organisations that organise these clubs visit to Africa?

And how much do they have to pay to clubs such as Man U to visit and play in Nigeria

anyone?
Re: A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by miqos02(m): 11:19am On Dec 01, 2012
MeGaStReEt: Its a slap to OP's face not Nigerians
na so e be
Re: A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by babyboy3(m): 10:33pm On Dec 01, 2012
The last time united came, Rooney had malaria
Re: A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by autchman144(m): 7:05am On Dec 02, 2012
Good responses. I wonder what d OP wants to achieve wit this story. Besides european season is still on by April 13th so what'll ManU be doing in Ghana? U jus cull fake stories from speculative Ghanaian & post for us here, which is even a bigger slap.
Re: A Slap To Nigeria's Face: Manchester Utd To Visit Ghana And S.A, Shuns Nigeria! by dominique(f): 11:13am On Dec 03, 2012
baby-boy:
The last time united came, Rooney had malaria

even when they didn't spend more than six hours in the country? I heard they only jetted in to play the exhibition match and jetted out to SA right after. A friend of mine based in abj said they waited for the team for hours and they were totally shunned when thet got there. Hopes for pics and autographs were dashed, all they got was a dry exhibition match after paying huge ticket fees.
Let them go wherever the hell they want to go, its high time we stop Idolising these racists.

(1) (Reply)

Jose Mourinho Hilarious Celebration After The Capital One Victory (picture) / L.MESSI Vs C.RONALDO Which Is Nairalands Best? / How Mikel Obi Ended Paul Pogba's International Carrier

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.