Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,527 members, 7,816,287 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Armed Robbers Take Over Lagos-ibadan, Sagamu-benin Roads - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Armed Robbers Take Over Lagos-ibadan, Sagamu-benin Roads (751 Views)

Lagos police arrests gangsters, murderers & armed robbers / Police Kill 5 Armed Robbers, Arrest 1 In Fierce Gun Battle In Lekki, Lagos / Church Member Petitions Police Over Lagos Prophet Who Defrauded Her Of N5million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Armed Robbers Take Over Lagos-ibadan, Sagamu-benin Roads by White007(m): 12:26pm On Apr 07, 2012
Armed robbers take over Lagos-Ibadan, Sagamu-Benin roads

by Waheed Bakare, Akinwale Aboluwade, Eniola Akinkuotu, Kunle Falayi and Temitayo Famutimi

Nigerians are still in shock following the ordeal of 42 pupils of Holy Rosary College, Enugu, Enugu State. The pupils were attacked by armed robbers and some of them were allegedly raped after the luxury bus conveying them to Lagos broke down at Ogbere area of Ogun State about 11.30pm on Saturday.

The incident further confirmed the fear of those plying the Sagamu-Benin

Expressway that the road had become a den of armed robbers. Equally dangerous is the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. To many motorists and commuters, plying the roads is like "walking through the valley of the shadow of death."

Although there are no available records on the numbers of robberies and cases of missing persons recorded on the roads, many of the residents of the area told PUNCH Metro that such cases are common.

Armed robbers in police uniforms

Mr. Bola Adeko, 70, has lived most of his life with his family in the United Kingdom. At his age, he thought it wise to return home. But barely four weeks after arriving Nigeria, Adeko, who was with two other occupants in a metallic brown 4matic Mercedes 430, with number plate JM 251 EKY, was flagged dow by a group of policemen at the Ososa Junction, Ijebu Ode, Ogun State.

As a law abiding citizen, he instructed his driver to slow down. But unfortunately, the men in police uniforms were armed robbers.

Adeko said, "The incident happened on February 6, 2012¸at Ososa Junction. We were coming from Ijebu Ode. There were three of us in the vehicle: Myself, my younger brother and the driver. We thought they were policemen because whenever I am in Nigeria, I passed that route quite often and I had seen policemen at that junction.

"We were shocked. They took all our phones, money and some documents. They ordered us out of the vehicle and asked us to lie down on the ground. We were thoroughly beaten. That experience was shocking. They threatened to kill us and went away with the vehicle.

"We reported the matter at the Odogbolu Police Division and in our presence, they radioed some police divisions but up till now, the vehicle has not been found."

Asked if he would still go ahead to finally relocate to Nigeria, Adeko, who spoke with one of our correspondents on the telephone, said although he had no other option than to relocate, the incident was discouraging.

A regular commuter on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Ireti Akinsanya, said, "Members of my church in Ogere along the expressway have continued to fall victim to armed robbers. In January, armed robbers in police uniforms went on the rampage.

"Our vehicles almost ran into them. Immediately our driver got the information, everyone on board abandoned the bus and ran into the bush. Some of my church members were, however, unlucky as they ran into the robbers and were dispossessed of their belongings."

Continue reading story here http://odili.net/news/source/2012/apr/6/827.html

(1) (Reply)

How Man Killed Wife Over Facebook Comments / Man Whose Kidney Was Stolen Gets N3.2 Million From Bauchi Governor. / Lagos Poly Student 22 Years Old Girl Beaten To Death By Her Boyfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.