Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,312 members, 7,819,065 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

How Can I Get A Teaching Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can I Get A Teaching Job (962 Views)

8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job / Get A Lucrative Teaching Job (Salary between N100,000-N350,000) / Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Get A Teaching Job by negosus: 3:39pm On Apr 08, 2012
Someone should please help a weeping soul.
After my NYSC last year at a private school, i was retain. Earlier this year i moved to Lagos Island but to my surprise, it has been difficult getting a new teaching job. Some employers will say ''you don't have any experience or you don't have any certification''.

I then begin to wonder, if am not being employed HOW WILL I HAVE EXPERIENCE. I have B.Ed in History.
Re: How Can I Get A Teaching Job by tanimola22: 6:47pm On Apr 08, 2012
negosus: Someone should please help a weeping soul.
After my NYSC last year at a private school, i was retain. Earlier this year i moved to Lagos Island but to my surprise, it has been difficult getting a new teaching job. Some employers will say ''you don't have any experience or you don't have any certification''.

I then begin to wonder, if am not being employed HOW WILL I HAVE EXPERIENCE. I have B.Ed in History.

I was told the same thing by one mushroom private school during my teachings days. I didn't let that deter me at all at all. I continued searching until I became very successful in the teaching business.

One way or the other, you need to try to meet people who are already established in the subject(s) you want to teach. Anyhow you want to do it, just try to meet people that are already teaching in the schools you want to teach. You have to document on your CV any and every teaching experience you have had in the past, be it private tutoring, freelance, teaching friends, assisting a neighbor's child etc. Then you have to continue searching. You have to visit all the schools of your choice, including the ones in Ikeja (Vivian Fowler, Grange, etc), Magodo (Caleb and co) and elsewhere. I envisage your visiting about 150-200 high quality private schools. You also have to learn how to sell yourself by highlighting how well you can teach and then buttressing your points using your success stories. In a nutshell, you just have to keep on pressing.

But, another thing could be restricting them from hiring you. Let me ask you a couple of questions. Is history still a compulsory subject for all Arts students? Besides history, which other subject(s) can you competitively teach?

Most people who are rejected are usually rejected due to their lacking university degrees in Education. You have a degree in Education. You just need to spread your nets wider.

T22.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Get A Teaching Job by negosus: 10:39am On Apr 10, 2012
tanimola22:

I was told the same thing by one mushroom private school during my teachings days. I didn't let that deter me at all at all. I continued searching until I became very successful in the teaching business.

One way or the other, you need to try to meet people who are already established in the subject(s) you want to teach. Anyhow you want to do it, just try to meet people that are already teaching in the schools you want to teach. You have to document on your CV any and every teaching experience you have had in the past, be it private tutoring, freelance, teaching friends, assisting a neighbor's child etc. Then you have to continue searching. You have to visit all the schools of your choice, including the ones in Ikeja (Vivian Fowler, Grange, etc), Magodo (Caleb and co) and elsewhere. I envisage your visiting about 150-200 high quality private schools. You also have to learn how to sell yourself by highlighting how well you can teach and then buttressing your points using your success stories. In a nutshell, you just have to keep on pressing.

But, another thing could be restricting them from hiring you. Let me ask you a couple of questions. Is history still a compulsory subject for all Arts students? Besides history, which other subject(s) can you competitively teach?

Most people who are rejected are usually rejected due to their lacking university degrees in Education. You have a degree in Education. You just need to spread your nets wider.

T22.

T22 Thanks so much for your candid advice and motivational suggestions. i will adhere to your all the instructions.

(1) (Reply)

Should He Go For INTERNSHIP Or JAMB? / Confidential Private Tutoring On Aptitude Tests SHL Kenexa Saville Talentq Cubik / How Nairaland Can Make You A Millionaire.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.