Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,219 members, 7,811,607 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS (6135 Views)

I Really Need This West Coast (olamide) Vs East Coast (phyno) Beef / 12.0 Earthquake Anomaly Off West Coast Of Africa! / West Coast University, Panama, Nigeria Campus Is Offering Admissions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by jookco(m): 8:21am On Apr 10, 2012
Magnitude 5.8 Quake Hits Africa –USGS

WASHINGTON (Reuters) –A magnitude 5.8 earthquake struck off the western coast of Africa on Tuesday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. The quake’s epicentre was 471 miles (758 km) north of Ascension Island and it occurred at a depth of 6.2 miles (10 km), the USGS said. Source. EuroNews

http://africagist.com

1 Like

Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by Nobody: 10:20am On Apr 10, 2012
may be its the amphibian section of the bokoharam, lol! and was there a tsunamis? our own african govtmnent neva said anythng o, maybe its american propanganda, dey wan tell us say quake dey here too?

1 Like

Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by Callotti: 10:21am On Apr 10, 2012
I guess God always finds a way huh?
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by jason2010(m): 10:28am On Apr 10, 2012
This goes to tell you that hurricane-corruption is not our only natural disaster. It shows that we are not immune to these types of catastrophes. The more sad thing is that we are not even ready. First of all we are not capable of seeing it coming, and second of all when it comes, we are not capable of mitigating the damages with properly trained response teams (if you doubt me, check the video of the police guy up north that was shed to pieces by the bomb two months ago), and lasty it will take for ever for us to pack up the broken pieces and move the heck on. Since we like to pray in Africa, particularly 9ja, I hope that we are including these sorts of events in our prayers to whatever god we believe in.
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by Okijajuju1(m): 11:01am On Apr 10, 2012
AFRICA dont give a fhuck!!

Our shit is on lock!! As long as that earthquake stays where its supposed to be at, then its aiight!!
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by wesley80(m): 11:38am On Apr 10, 2012
The possibility of an earthquake striking close to home is remote and vitually impossible though we might suffer from minor effect of a tsunami but all in all, even the effect of that should be minimal considering how far off we are except there's one of gargantuan proportion. Eathquakes only occur along well mapped faultlines (see map at 2.bp..com/_ypalM7eSBEQ/SdzT_ajylVI/AAAAAAAAAbM/XNB1-z6lvKg/s1600-h/tectonic_map.jpg) which Ngr and most of Africa are thankfully away from and a number of factors including our soil type reduces our succeptibility to such tremors and ground collapses like we see elsewhere. I guess that's why the Bible mentions such a thing as "Habitable part of the earth"!

Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by Gbanj11: 11:40am On Apr 10, 2012
embarassedAnd yet again we had to wait for a US agency to knw that even happened. A 5.8 may sound small and off the coast, but what happens when its a 7.2 or an 8. NIMA angryor whateva they call themselves shld on alert o, or the poo is going to hit the fan lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by Bawss1(m): 11:52am On Apr 10, 2012
cogitoErgo: may be its the amphibian section of the bokoharam, lol! and was there a tsunamis? our own african govtmnent neva said anythng o, maybe its american propanganda, dey wan tell us say quake dey here too?

Without fail someone has to play the propaganda card.

Typical.
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by Gbanj11: 11:58am On Apr 10, 2012
wesley80: The possibility of an earthquake striking close to home is remote and vitually impossible though we might suffer from minor effect of a tsunami but all in all, even the effect of that should be minimal considering how far off we are except there's one of gargantuan proportion. Eathquakes only occur along well mapped faultlines (see map at 2.bp..com/_ypalM7eSBEQ/SdzT_ajylVI/AAAAAAAAAbM/XNB1-z6lvKg/s1600-h/tectonic_map.jpg) which Ngr and most of Africa are thankfully away from and a number of factors including our soil type reduces our succeptibility to such tremors and ground collapses like we see elsewhere. I guess that's why the Bible mentions such a thing as "Habitable part of the earth"!
if i might cut in. U sound learned, soo let me ask u this...yes we dnt get the earthquakes/tsunamis and so on, but do believe that Africa still gets it fair share of disasters. Look lake Nyos and others just like it, no place on earth is safe.
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by smallboy2(m): 12:01pm On Apr 10, 2012
Is this happening in Africa for real?

Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by okuya: 12:06pm On Apr 10, 2012
[/b]
jason2010[b:
]This goes to tell you that hurricane-corruption is not our only natural disaster. It shows that we are not immune to these types of catastrophes. The more sad thing is that we are not even ready. First of all we are not capable of seeing it coming, and second of all when it comes, we are not capable of mitigating the damages with properly trained response teams (if you doubt me, check the video of the police guy up north that was shed to pieces by the bomb two months ago), and lasty it will take for ever for us to pack up the broken pieces and move the heck on. Since we like to pray in Africa, particularly 9ja, I hope that we are including these sorts of events in our prayers to whatever god we believe in.

Ur rite we might not be able to cope wit a catastrphe of such magnitude if it ever occures (and God will forbid it happening).But as for seeing it coming, we have the capability, it's our pre-emptive response that is doubtful. Unknown to many of us Nigeria has greatly improved in weather and geographic monitoring and forecasting wit d launch of our geographic satelite years ago, which was the even the first to detect the deadly Indonesian tsunami moments before it hit the shores
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by chromatin: 12:10pm On Apr 10, 2012
Are u all stupid or playing dumb... Earth quakes is partly due to rapid contraction of the earth due too reduced cushioning of the heat from the magma of the earth core... No region is exempt from experience an earthquake, it all depends on the level of protection the solid part of the earth has from the hot molten magma in the earth core. A layer of water, crude oil, and gas protects the earth crust from rapidly expanding from the heat of the core such rapid expansion results in earthquakes. Areas with such low levels of protection are very vulnerable that is why the U.S warned the Govt of Haiti at the time before the earth quake hit them to stop all oil drilling and excavation because the solid earth in that country was very thin and reducing the volume of oil layer beneath would result in catastrophic effects which the Haitian Govt proved deaf ear too. Africa or any other region is not exempt from the occurrence of earth quakes...
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 10, 2012
*#Propaganda's# Yawns
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by ebosed: 12:27pm On Apr 10, 2012
Would it affect Lekki-VI-Island?
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by wesley80(m): 1:37pm On Apr 10, 2012
chromatin: Are u all stupid or playing dumb... Earth quakes is partly due to rapid contraction of the earth due too reduced cushioning of the heat from the magma of the earth core... No region is exempt from experience an earthquake, it all depends on the level of protection the solid part of the earth has from the hot molten magma in the earth core. A layer of water, crude oil, and gas protects the earth crust from rapidly expanding
from the heat of the core such rapid expansion results in earthquakes. Areas with such low levels of protection are very vulnerable that is why the U.S warned the Govt of Haiti at the time before the earth quake hit them to stop all oil drilling and excavation because the solid earth in that country was very thin and reducing the volume of oil layer beneath would result in catastrophic effects which the Haitian Govt proved deaf ear too. Africa or any other region is not exempt from the occurrence of earth quakes...

Sorry but you actually sound pretty dumb yourself. Hear this and hear it well
1) Oil extraction has got absolutely nothing to do with earthquakes, that's except perhaps you've got some new research that proves otherwise
2) Molten "magma" have got nothing to do with earthquakes - at least not in the way u put it.
3) And YES some countries and regions are immune from suffering earthquakes.
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by wesley80(m): 1:48pm On Apr 10, 2012
Gbanj11:
if i might cut in. U sound learned, soo let me ask u this...yes we dnt get the earthquakes/tsunamis and so on, but do believe that Africa still gets it fair share of disasters. Look lake Nyos and others just like it, no place on earth is safe.

Well, Yes I do believe that Africa has its fair share of natural disasters but they are limited to floods, droughts and the like but definitely not quakes.
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by abiki(f): 2:56pm On Apr 10, 2012
cogitoErgo: may be its the amphibian section of the bokoharam, lol! and was there a tsunamis? our own african govtmnent neva said anythng o, maybe its american propanganda, dey wan tell us say quake dey here too?
grin grin grin grin grin grin[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by Nobody: 4:15pm On Apr 10, 2012
471 miles north of Ascension island shocked shocked That's West Africa for real. But then again, the article lacks detailed information to come up with a conclusion.
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by TonySpike: 4:24pm On Apr 10, 2012
The mystery of regions prone to earthquakes lies in the stability of the tectonic plates which hold the earth-crust together. Continental drift has been identified as an important factor in the stability of continental shelves and earth crust. It is of general knowledge that all the other 6 continents and other sunken lands were once "glued" to Africa in a configuration known as PANGAEA. The drifted lands and continents (except Africa) are believed to be most affected by the instabilities in earth tectonics. These instabilities are mainly in the form of earthquakes, tremors and tsunamis. Infact, the Japanese archipelagos is the most drifted land from PANGAEA and is believed to be the site of 4 unstable earth tectonic plates. Thus, Japan is a hot-spot (code red region) in the circumpacific ring of fire. I hope geologists on this forum can give us more information on these natural disasters.

Seun, we need a science section!!!
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by Iskra: 4:26pm On Apr 10, 2012
I find this interesting but not much of news.Thats the fact that an earth quake could occur off the coast of west africa and be reported to us by Americans.I understand that they have got all sorts of assets lining the ocean bed but it should tell you aboput the state of affairs of our nations preparedness for anything good or bad.It should not be miscontrued as a recent thing,its the rot that has existed from repeated mismanagement and lack of directional focus on where the nation should be headed.
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by michylabo(m): 4:54pm On Apr 10, 2012
Wow... Its expected though... Keep in mind guys that earthquakes and tremor are not only a result of fault lines but also any tectonic activity from sliding,converging to diverging plates. From volcanic to other orogenic processes. Signs of end times.
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by michylabo(m): 4:59pm On Apr 10, 2012
chromatin: Are u all stupid or playing dumb... Earth quakes is partly due to rapid contraction of the earth due too reduced cushioning of the heat from the magma of the earth core... No region is exempt from experience an earthquake, it all depends on the level of protection the solid part of the earth has from the hot molten magma in the earth core. A layer of water, crude oil, and gas protects the earth crust from rapidly expanding from the heat of the core such rapid expansion results in earthquakes. Areas with such low levels of protection are very vulnerable that is why the U.S warned the Govt of Haiti at the time before the earth quake hit them to stop all oil drilling and excavation because the solid earth in that country was very thin and reducing the volume of oil layer beneath would result in catastrophic effects which the Haitian Govt proved deaf ear too. Africa or any other region is not exempt from the occurrence of earth quakes...
U ve a point but u went off key at some point
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by gigabytes: 5:35pm On Apr 10, 2012
Wow, I love this Island, it used to be my online surfing destination via Google earth. I posted something about them last year on Nairaland showing the rocks around them pix below. Its about 2,750 kilometers from Lagos.

Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by Henry40: 9:11pm On Apr 10, 2012
This is VERY highly unlikely! Do a little research online to find out the causes of earthquakes. Earthquakes are the result of the ficton that occures when two of the earth's tectonic plates rub eachother on their edges as they move. That's why THEY ONLY HAPPEN IN REGIONS THAT SIT ON THE EDGE OF THEIR TECTONIC PLATES. The entire continent is right in the middle of its plate, no part of it is on the edge, that's why we don't and WILL NEVER experience them. If the Americans gave such an info, I wonder what their aim is.
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by wesley80(m): 9:45pm On Apr 10, 2012
^^ You r right but also wrong. Recently, some new faultlines were discovered off the Nigerian coast and i recall a professor of geology from one of our universities predicting some kind of quake in the future. But what is clear is that what ever fault line that exists can only lead to minimal effects as those lines are not a part of the original tectonic plates which triggered the continental drift.
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by lilkech(m): 11:01pm On Apr 10, 2012
hmm

this is serious

do you know that if a 1 magnitude quake strikes 9ja no single housing structure will survive ?
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by executinal(m): 11:38pm On Apr 10, 2012
Oya Musiwa come with Searchlight picture let see if it is true grin grin grin
Propaganda at the highest level
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by juman(m): 10:50am On Apr 11, 2012
If we have taste (effect) of tsunami in our major cities, probably millions of people would die.
Re: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Off West Coast of Africa: USGS by ignis: 4:54am On Apr 12, 2012
Which country is that?

(1) (Reply)

JTF Uncovers Another Bomb Factory In Kano / Breaking News..abuja High Court Removes Adamu Muazu As PDP National Chairman / Controversy Trails Death Of World’s Biggest Snake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.