Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,657 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa (4219 Views)

PICTURE: Jonathan Campaign Team Buying Petrol In Blackmarket / FG Reduces Price Of Petrol To 87 Naira Per Litre / 2015 Presidency: Buhari Laments High Cost Of APC Nomination Form (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by jason123: 5:07am On Apr 11, 2012
By Samuel Oyadongha

Yenagoa—The Rawls Centre, a Niger Delta-based advocacy group for social justice and development, has decried the high cost of petrol in Bayelsa State, as the product goes for between N120 and N130 per litre.

It was gathered that only the NNPC mega station was selling at N97 per litre in Yenagoa metropolis while the NNPC mega stations in the hinterland were not functioning, leaving the locals and boat operators at the mercy of black marketers, where a litre is sold for between N350 and N400.

Country[b] Director of the Centre, Mr Ekiyor Welson, yesterday, blamed the situation on what he described as the docility of residents to resist the high prices and their refusal to join the other parts of the country in the protest against the removal of fuel subsidy.
[/b]
The centre noted with sadness that even the palliatives introduced by the Federal Government to mitigate the negative effects of the high fuel price were not being felt in the state due to its riverine nature.

He said: “Three months after the new price, petrol sells for between N120 and N130 a litre across the state except at the NNPC mega stations where you have to spend between one to five hours to buy at N97.

“When on January 1, the pump price of petrol was increased from N65 to N147, little did residents of Bayelsa imagine the irony of of the situation. While the product is selling less elsewhere, it is selling for more in Bayelsa. As a predominantly riverine state, it is a nightmare travelling across the state in boats and other motorised river crafts as you have to pay through your nose.”

[b]The events that greeted that jolting action are now history but refreshing them in our mind highlights once again the place of human agency in the enthronement of change and progress in society. As most parts of the country were engulfed in protests and rallies, Bayelsans, in solidarity with President Goodluck Jonathan stood aloof.”

The group noted with sadness that even the labour leaders in the state designed what it described as a softer version of the national strike called by the central labour centres; Nigerian Labour Congress, NLC and Trade Union Congress, TUC with members of the Ijaw Youth Council and the elders turning the entire agitation into a renewed call for resource control and ‘occupy your resources.

The Centre decried the attitude of Bayelsans to the subsidy protest, adding “the people of the state must realise that issues of justice remain the best guarantee for progress and growth in any society” and pleaded with the state governor to work round the clock to bring down the price of petrol to the approved N97 pump price.[/b]

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/group-laments-high-cost-of-petrol-in-bayelsa/
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by jason123: 5:10am On Apr 11, 2012
Was this not the reason people protested. Well, this is the effect of tribalism. . . .hope they will be able to cope . . .
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by adook1: 6:54am On Apr 11, 2012
Pure water -20naira,bread(small agege)150,coke 80naira,na so o
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by Demdem(m): 8:11am On Apr 11, 2012
Foools. This was one of the reason why the people came out early this year to protest but foolish ijaws think it was a yoruba agenda to bring down their son the retardeen. Abegiii, make dem enjoy their fresh air jare.
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by beafroast: 8:49am On Apr 11, 2012
i dey laff with subsidy!
grin
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by Kx: 9:22am On Apr 11, 2012
Good for them.
Na them get oil
Na them get the president
Na them nor gree protest subsidy removal on account of supporting their son.
Na them dey suffer am most,
Good for them.
Ntooooooor!
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by Kx: 9:24am On Apr 11, 2012
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by babaowo: 9:29am On Apr 11, 2012
good for them.
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by ochukoccna: 9:34am On Apr 11, 2012
Are Bayelseans already tired of fresh air in under 12 months?
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by Nobody: 9:34am On Apr 11, 2012
An adage says "work for the rainy season",when others were protesting,u were behind and prtecting your son,i hope your "SON" will come to your rescue,cos he's engrossed in BH affairs,enjoy your suffering.
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by stillme(m): 9:39am On Apr 11, 2012
Ijaw are ignorant people. They know less and talk too much. Mr President has gone astray yet they are still they pampering him.
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by doctokwus: 9:40am On Apr 11, 2012
Maybe callous of me,but I don't av one ounce of pity for any bayelsan;let dem reap evrytin they sowed.
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by stillme(m): 9:41am On Apr 11, 2012
Ijaw are ignorant people. They know less and talk too much. Mr President has gone astray yet they are pampering him.

1 Like

Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by T4taiwo(m): 9:41am On Apr 11, 2012
what worth doing.worth doing right.
stillme: Ijaw are ignorant people. They know less and talk too much. Mr President has gone astray yet they are still they pampering him.
what worth doing.worth doing right.
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by Gudme: 9:42am On Apr 11, 2012
Currently d price of petrol everywere in bayelsa is #97
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by lacasa: 9:56am On Apr 11, 2012
Leave the illiterate people, demm neva see anytin

Una go hear am, fresh aiiiiiiirrrr
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by Silva79(f): 9:59am On Apr 11, 2012
Fresh air
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by sheyguy: 10:18am On Apr 11, 2012
While on visit to warri last two month. I went to buy petrol in a filling station in warri with jerry can and they sold a litre which normally cost N97 to buyers with jerrycan for N130 while those buying it in their car on thenext fuel pump, just about 4m away, paid the normal N97. The marketers, filling station owner along with the ever cooperative govt agencies are our bane in this oil industry saga. The people of BAYELSA shld have known this months earlier. Too late now.
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by OtunbaMurphy: 10:44am On Apr 11, 2012
FRESH AiR CONTINUES, WHY COMPLAINinG?

That really show the law of kama in folds, after all they were in support of their so called brother, even the Nlc and Tuc in the state, I knew this type of hike will occur not only in bayelsa but south south at large, I was there sometime ago, I knew what it takes when talking about petroleum product, infact it is too early for them to complain, let their brother rule for more years and see maybe they will be more comfortable with the hike in price at their region and more hike is still yet to come, they should be able to bear with it after all na their brother wake up on Jan 1 and decided to removed subsidy that wasn't there at the first place and they were fully support of him because he is from their region, it's very simple matter, Occupy resources not Occupy Nigeria as they called it then..... Bunch of N.D harams, Another face of B.Haram......... FoooooooLs

Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by nuclearboy(m): 10:55am On Apr 11, 2012
Tribalism only brings pain & trouble. Hunger will bring them to their senses.
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by mizne1: 11:30am On Apr 11, 2012
Good for them.[img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by member479760: 11:48am On Apr 11, 2012
grin grin grin
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by clemmonce(m): 11:55am On Apr 11, 2012
what is the NDDC doin
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by amosy007: 12:19pm On Apr 11, 2012
What is the so called "IJAW nation" doing about this?
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by stone07(m): 12:21pm On Apr 11, 2012
That is very good for them.Are they not the people surporting GEJ on subsidy removal.Useless hyprocrates.Do not worry d price wll get to 200 naira.
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by blacksta(m): 12:27pm On Apr 11, 2012
i pray hungers finishes the whole lot?
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by Zainaby: 12:52pm On Apr 11, 2012
grin
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by gentleoyink: 1:03pm On Apr 11, 2012
@ those of you talking

For your information, the high price of petrol in the riverine areas is not because of the increase in pump price.
Do your research and you will find out that even during Obj and Yaradua's time, fuel has been selling btw N120 to N150 in Ijaw villages.

The person who started this thread is proud because of the less informed responses he has gotten so far from those who would not just accept that GEJ is their president.

Pray, tell me why I should join SNG and Boko Haram to protest fuel price of N1149 when I have been buying it for N150 when it was N65, knowing that if it eventually returns, it will still not affect how much I buy it?
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by kokoA(m): 1:10pm On Apr 11, 2012
Who cares about bayelsa? mtcheeww!
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by Baawaa(m): 1:21pm On Apr 11, 2012
They will soon denounce GEJ!
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by Akshow: 1:21pm On Apr 11, 2012
Na God catch dem. Mumu people.
Re: The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa by Baawaa(m): 1:25pm On Apr 11, 2012
gentleoyink: @ those of you talking

For your information, the high price of petrol in the riverine areas is not because of the increase in pump price.
Do your research and you will find out that even during Obj and Yaradua's time, fuel has been selling btw N120 to N150 in Ijaw villages.

The person who started this thread is proud because of the less informed responses he has gotten so far from those who would not just accept that GEJ is their president.

Pray, tell me why I should join SNG and Boko Haram to protest fuel price of N1149 when I have been buying it for N150 when it was N65, knowing that if it eventually returns, it will still not affect how much I buy it?

Listen to yourself!!You are duller than your brother GEJ

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Government Has Taken Over Radio Biafra / Cabinet Reshuffle Imminent;Fashola Adeosun Ngige Out, Oshiomole Pauline Talen In / Before You Go To Saraki's House: Our Tin God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.