Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,938 members, 7,952,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:14 AM

Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani (8887 Views)

Kaduna Carnival "Shameful, Irresponsible": Shehu Sani Slams El Rufai / Camel Leads Soldiers Out For Early Morning Exercise In Lagos. / Photos: Gov Okorocha Monitors Sanitation Exercise In The State This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by koruji(m): 1:38am On Apr 12, 2012
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/almajiri-project-an-exercise-in-futility-shehu-sani/

On April 12, 2012 · In News
By Emeka Mamah

KADUNA based rights activist, Mallam Shehu Sani, yesterday, faulted the launching of the Almajiri Boarding Primary Schools by President Goodluck Jonathan in Sokoto State Tuesday as way of curtailing the activities of Boko Haram, saying that the scheme is not only “white elephants,” but “waste of public fund,” as such schools were propagated by the Islamic sect which the Sultan of Sokoto belonged to.

In a statement made available to Vanguard Sani also said such scools would not reduce activities of Boko Haram, as aimed by the Federal Government:

He said: “The Almajiri educational system or tsangaya as it is called is an educational system propagated and encouraged by the Darikas, Tijjaniya and Ahmadiyya sects of which the Sultan belongs. If the aim of the project is not to deceive the president, the Sultan of sokoto and other emirs and religious and political leaders should openly call for an end to the Almajiri school and ask parents to stop patronizing same.

“The attraction to the Almajiri Islamic school is a direct result of the collapse of public schools and the general vandalization of our educational system by successive governments including the present ones at federal and state levels. Without addressing the issue of poverty in northern states it is virtually impossible to stop parents from sending their wards to the Almajiri school simply by building blocks of classes.

“The Almajiri system represent child abuse and the school system is a breeding ground for religious radicalization and will not simply fade away by pumping money into it. Head teachers of Almajiri schools also doubles as spiritual consultants of political elites and traditional rulers.”

’’President Goodluck Jonathan’s Almajiri project will fade into irrelevance like the Nomadic Education programme of the Ibrahim Babangida era as it amounted to superficial intervention in a decadent and menacing system deeply rooted in peculiar beliefs and customs.

’’If President Jonathan is seriously committed to addressing the root causes of poverty and violence in Northern Nigeria and other part of the country, he must demonstrate with the same spirit, zeal, passion,speed and interest as wesee him in action in the Niger Delta states.’’

1 Like

Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:01am On Apr 12, 2012
Sure those are real Almajiri kids in the pic attached? They all look fresh faced and cute undecided.

Check out the [b]little Don [/b]folding his arms in the front row. President or no President, e no concern am. The lil' dude is giving his 'baddest', 'you talking to me angry?' pose for this pic. grin

1 Like

Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by Kilode1: 2:32am On Apr 12, 2012
Why can't these kids be placed in regular muslim elementary schools anyway?

Where are their parents? are they above the law?

If they want muslim schools, we have enough examples of great Muslim Schools in Nigeria to copy from. I.e Ansar ul Deen. These kids can be in regular religious schools if the government is ready to enforce universal basic edcuation laws and put their money and judicial power behind it.

There are good examples of such schools in Nigeria, again, Ansar ul deen is one.

Ansar-ul-deen has been doing a great job educating young and bright muslim minds without losing or violating the tenets of the islamic religion since the 1920's - at least in Western Nigeria.

What are these State Governors doing with UBE money for example? ( http://allafrica.com/stories/201108011750.html ) is it not against the Nigerian UBE act of 1999 to have these so called almajiri chiildren roam the streets with no elementary education in the first place?

Again, this is a Problem with a ready-made and tested homegrown solution, why are we stumbling?

SMH

3 Likes

Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by Kilode1: 2:40am On Apr 12, 2012
“The attraction to the Almajiri Islamic school is a direct result of the collapse of public schools and the general vandalization of our educational system by successive governments including the present ones at federal and state levels.

well put

“The Almajiri system represent child abuse and the school system is a breeding ground for religious radicalization and will not simply fade away by pumping money into it.

Yes

President Goodluck Jonathan’s Almajiri project will fade into irrelevance like the Nomadic Education programme of the Ibrahim Babangida era as it amounted to superficial intervention in a decadent and menacing system deeply rooted in peculiar beliefs and customs.

right.
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by koruji(m): 2:44am On Apr 12, 2012
GEJ is fighting Boko Haram to no avail today, but these were basically the almajiri kids of 20 years ago. What he is missing sorely is that this attempt to garner political favor by pandering to religious zealots is the seed for tomorrow's Boko Haram. He is either deceiving himself or truly naive to not be making the connection or may be he feels really helpless. The way OBJ pandered to sharia apologists is the same way President Jonathan is pandering for political favor.

The aftermath will always be disastrous.

Kilode?!:
Why can't these kids be placed in regular muslim elementary schools anyway?
Where are their parents? are they above the law?

If they want muslim schools, we have enough examples of great Muslim Schools in Nigeria to copy from. I.e Ansar ul Deen. These kids can be in regular religious schools if the government is ready to enforce universal basic edcuation laws and put their money and judicial power behind it.

There are good examples of such schools in Nigeria, again, Ansar ul deen is one.

Ansar-ul-deen has been doing a great job educating young and bright muslim minds without losing or violating the tenets of the islamic religion since the 1920's - at least in Western Nigeria.

What are these State Governors doing with UBE money for example? ( http://allafrica.com/stories/201108011750.html ) is it not against the Nigerian UBE act of 1999 to have these so called almajiri chiildren roam the streets with no elementary education in the first place?

Again, this is a Problem with a ready-made and tested homegrown solution, why are we stumbling?

SMH

Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by Kilode1: 11:55am On Apr 12, 2012
We can't continue to make laws we are not ready to enforce though.

2 Likes

Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by richkids1(m): 1:52pm On Apr 12, 2012
I thnink it is not. Maybe bro Jona know that it would be good to start resolving the issue from ground floor up...
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by greall1: 1:57pm On Apr 12, 2012
Weasting of money. I could remember during my service year in yobe state local govt jackusko. During the exam period junior waec,the man came in & asked his son to follow him that's going 2 farm. The boy drop his question paper on a desk shap shap & follow him papa to farm lolz.
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by anonimi: 2:00pm On Apr 12, 2012
richkids1: I thnink it is not. Maybe bro Jona know that it would be good to start resolving the issue from ground floor up...

You don follow Jona miss road finish.
What is needed is formal education that opens the eyes and brains of the kids to possibilities beyond their communities and religion. Not almajiri islamic education that mostly radicalise them as those in Pakistan, Indonesia etc.

1 Like

Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by buJu234: 2:17pm On Apr 12, 2012
THE NORTHERN ELITE ARE THE NO.1 PROBLEM OF THIS COUNTRY...

what are the Northern govt. using their educational budget they collect every yr 4?
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by antartica(m): 2:23pm On Apr 12, 2012
I thought they are real schools.Any school that is based on islamic teachings is not a school,it is a fundamentalist breeding ground like shehu sani rightly said and that is not just a waste of public funds but a way of breeding more advance vipers that will help destroy rational societies.

1 Like

Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by VEE2010(m): 2:30pm On Apr 12, 2012
Kilode?!:
We can't continue to make laws we are not ready to enforce though.

You're right. Our problem is basically the ability to implement the existing laws. We have so many white papers on various projects/concepts that when implemented, Nigeria will be an El-dorado of envy even by the western world. We need to change our approach in tackling most of these avoidable problems we face as a Nation. we don't need any Messiah from external powers to do what I believe, Nigerians can do. We only need visionary leadership.
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by emmatok(m): 2:39pm On Apr 12, 2012
[quote author=koruji][/quote]

So the GOVERNMENT is now officially recognising and promoting ALMAIJIRI.

Tomorrow these ALMAIJIRI will start fighting back.

Why not fix the Educational system and give these children formal education.

Nigeria we hail thee
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by robinhoodd2(m): 2:41pm On Apr 12, 2012
it always amazes me whenever i c anti-north/islam post making it in the front page,now i need nobody to tell me d allegiance of the moderators,una do well?,peace unto us all
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by xtenxive(m): 2:55pm On Apr 12, 2012
Its is completely regrettable that Mr. President, wit all d "technocrats" he has around him, proper assessments,analysis and recommendations are far from him.
What is the function and goal of the present public primary and secondary shools (which are already coiiapsing)
What will happen to these students when they're through with school, are they coming to earn their living from this failed economy.
Why must they go and start building new schools when they could convert the already collapsing existing ones.
This Project is just another means of increasing Govt. expenditure due to incompetence on the part of policy makers in this country.
in simple terms, a suitabble economic environment will directly and indirectly solve a lot of problems in this country and that is where a bulk of our resources should be channeled towards "CREATING AN ENABLING ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT"
After now they'll say Okonjo is the best candidate for world bank job and our economy is flunctuatin, since Jonathan's administratn started with their "economic team", I've nt perceived any policy, strategy etc dat is reflecting a positive move for this economy, all that is happening is the awarding of more contracts with no direct impact and 2015 is here soon
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by Ournaija: 2:58pm On Apr 12, 2012
This was exactly the point I was making yesterday.
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by antartica(m): 3:07pm On Apr 12, 2012
Why must the children be almajirins?Why can't they be normal children like the children of the northern thieving elite?
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by kaiter: 3:18pm On Apr 12, 2012
Weasting of money. I could remember during my service year in yobe state local govt jackusko.[img]http://www.demama.info/hjk[/img]
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by chucky234(m): 3:21pm On Apr 12, 2012
GEF has lost focus and direction,the man is nothing but a confused fellow.
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by Beaf: 3:22pm On Apr 12, 2012
anonimi:

You don follow Jona miss road finish.
What is needed is formal education that opens the eyes and brains of the kids to possibilities beyond their communities and religion. Not almajiri islamic education that mostly radicalise them as those in Pakistan, Indonesia etc.

Those schools will provide what you call "formal education." They are almajiri schools that follow the normal primary school curriculum (with Islamic studies tagged on).

I don't see why people are against this thing.
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by Nobody: 3:23pm On Apr 12, 2012
kaiter: Weasting of money. I could remember during my service year in yobe state local govt jackusko.[img]http://www.demama.info/hjk[/img]

Woow. You actually graduated College?! undecided
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by Polalowo: 3:33pm On Apr 12, 2012
They are building schools but where are the qualified teachers to teach them or would they import teachers from Yobe
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by Koolking(m): 3:33pm On Apr 12, 2012
Ofcourse no, boys who are loyal to the power that be are rewarded. Don't forget, this is a national contract. Succinctly, the project objective is D.O.D. Not only the Almajiris that need education, in fact the 90% population who does not feel the impact of govt needs education as against the 10% that holds the entire national resources for personal aggrandizement. The project looks noble but is the govt sincere over this project? There are schools scattered all over Nigeria, have they been able as citadels of transformation through learning change the status quo of Nigeria? Are these special schools really panacea to the problems of the north and Nigeria as an entity? Is the problem of the north politically and religiously motivated? Has similar projects in the recent past like the amnesty to Niger Delta militants brought succor to the embattled regions? Methinks, this is another white elephant project. Not solely based on patriotism but a misplacement and a benchmark of a failed and confused govt. Pls, permit me without sounding pessimistic, this is another failure in the offing.
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by amtheone(m): 3:34pm On Apr 12, 2012
So many projects in Nigeria are just for waste of public money. History bears record to what am saying.
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by Kolababa: 3:42pm On Apr 12, 2012
More Almajiris to be produced.
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by cute08: 4:25pm On Apr 12, 2012
Sory 4 u shehu sanni..u n ur fore fadas were once almajiri o! Remember.
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by sallybonne(f): 4:37pm On Apr 12, 2012
In the land of strike,and in a time of boko haram,a destiny of a confused kingdom lays on the shoulder of a stupid president his name jonathan. Seriously this man has lost focus that is if he had one,I don't have a problem with d almajiri school but before u start creating more schools put the one you have in order,so after the primary school or wateva it is called won't they move into d university, forgetting that he also has problems wit ASUU toomput your house in order and stop going about looking for unnecessary favor u won't get,I won't be surprised if he is not doing all this 4 a second tenure bid,dis guy is just a disgrace to the south south after making everybody go out in mass and vote you ,u go to aso rock and start to misbehave,no light still,every day strike,if it is not labour is ASUU or even doctors now,came 2 d east and fooled everyone 2 vote 4 u,using d inlaw bull shit how ur moda abi wifes mother whieva is frome d east. Hmmmmmmmmmm, like my friend would say leadership is an attitude and jonathan lacks that, let's discuss the so called amnesty bullshit that's makin dis boko haram ppl want d same thing,even the amnesty is flawed,.jona u beta wise up o,a friend of mine a northerner said and I quote "u easterners and southerners have been cryin marginalisation now it has been given 2 u wat have u done wit it" I would not blame him cos he is rite,during the presidential elections jona jona jona wat has he done nw,is now almajiri school he is commissioning mtcheeeew,I jst tire
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 12, 2012
I think this is a breeding ground for scientific bokso
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by nduchucks: 4:40pm On Apr 12, 2012
Shehu Sani is simply drawing more attention to the plight of the youths of Nigeria and in particular, the Almajiris. He is very passionate about the urgency with which we need to deal with any issue, as a matter of fact.

The fact remains that this step by GEJ will achieve much more than those of others Presidents before him, if the program is actually carried out and 400 of those schools are established as promised by GEJ. The most important element of Shehu Sani's statement is below:

If President Jonathan is seriously committed to addressing the root causes of poverty and violence in Northern Nigeria and other part of the country, he must demonstrate with the same spirit, zeal, passion,speed and interest as wesee him in action in the Niger Delta states.

He is simply keeping the heat on the President to make sure that he fulfills his promise completely. I cannot fault the man for that, the heat is necessary.
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by emsquare(m): 5:06pm On Apr 12, 2012
richkids1: I thnink it is not. Maybe bro Jona know that it would be good to start resolving the issue from ground floor up...

Hmmm!!!
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by lionshare: 6:12pm On Apr 12, 2012
stories....See fresh kids...? Almajiri? is that new name for rich kids in Nigeria?
Re: Almajiri Project An Exercise In Futility – Shehu Sani by feelamong(m): 6:31pm On Apr 12, 2012
I want to know how many children from the Sultan's Household are in that Almajiri school......Also let them tell us how many influential politicians in the North have their children in the Almajiri schoool

Who is fooling who??...Malam Shehu Sani has siad it all...it is another place for the Northen Elites to chop their own share of the National cake through over ploted contracts to construct schools....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo Of 200 Year-old Sefer Torah Arrived Igboland From Israel After Kanu Arrest / APC Postpones Taraba State Presidential Rally / Nigeria Once The Richest Nation On Earth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.