Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,088 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Automatic Transmission Fluid Change - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Transmission Fluid Change (1566 Views)

Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria / What Kind Of Transmission Fluid (ATF) Should I Use? / ***how To Check Automatic Transmission Before Buying A Used Car*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Automatic Transmission Fluid Change by snthesis(m): 12:18pm On Apr 12, 2012
when is the right time/distance to change a car's Automatic Transmission fluid. i checked online and found out conflicting suggestions, one states that its safer not to change it at all, while another other opinion states you should change at regular intervals. which of the suggestions is valid in preventing damage to the gear box.
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid Change by Austino2955: 7:06pm On Apr 12, 2012
Change transmission fluid after every five thouosand mile so as to keep the life of the gear longer, and against tear and wear. That is the proper thing. At this level the fluid is now lighter and lost vescosity after a lot of labour base on the distance. Good luck.
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid Change by snthesis(m): 4:03pm On Apr 19, 2012
Austino2955: Change transmission fluid after every five thouosand mile so as to keep the life of the gear longer, and against tear and wear. That is the proper thing. At this level the fluid is now lighter and lost vescosity after a lot of labour base on the distance. Good luck.
thanks
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid Change by nissparts(m): 9:47am On Apr 20, 2012
^^Wrong completely.
No vehicle manufacture recommends anything close to 5000mile intervals for ATF change and rightly so.
Your question is best answered based on the actual vehicle you are referring to.
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid Change by oscartawn1: 4:39pm On Apr 20, 2012
Transmission fluid change intervals depends on the type of car you use. Best advice is to check what is specified in the owners manual. Some cars can drive up to 30,000 - 60,000 miles between fluid changes. Just check the manufacturer's recommendation. You may also want to google it if you do not have a manual for your car. Fluid change is not a function of viscosity!
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid Change by snthesis(m): 8:49am On May 02, 2012
thanks for d replies guys.

my friend actually changed his ATF for a rodeo jeep- unfortunately his mechanics did a bad job and he ended up buying a new gear box.
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid Change by kanny1(m): 9:58pm On May 09, 2012
I guess we should answer dis questn based on wat we ve in our local mkt. In naija, u 'll diff brands of atf. I changed my atf, filter & engine oil in december for corolla, reset d maint reqd indicator 4 it and waitin 4 d light 2 cme on again b4 i changed them. Just last wk, one driver told me i nid to change evrytin. Imagine for a car i barely rid!:-O
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid Change by snthesis(m): 12:00pm On May 11, 2012
kanny1: I guess we should answer dis questn based on wat we ve in our local mkt. In naija, u 'll diff brands of atf. I changed my atf, filter & engine oil in december for corolla, reset d maint reqd indicator 4 it and waitin 4 d light 2 cme on again b4 i changed them. Just last wk, one driver told me i nid to change evrytin. Imagine for a car i barely rid!:-O
i think the right brand of ATF IS SPECIFIED IN THE maintenance/owners manual

(1) (Reply)

Pls Advice: Infinity QX4, Honda CRV and Toyota Rav4 / See What Nearly Ran Me Wild / Fuel Consumption In Camry 1996 Canadian Built

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.