Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? (9620 Views)

See What This Dude Is Giving To God / Dr. Sign Fireman: Man Of God Or Man Of Money? (Video Documentary) / Who Really Rules The World, Jehovah God or Satan?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by Radiant(f): 2:03am On Mar 29, 2006
geeeeeez!!! what kinda lame question is dis from a Nigerian for that matter shocked
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by Zahymaka(m): 2:05am On Mar 29, 2006
Not all Nigerians are christians. I think you meant "what kind of christian. . ."
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by Radiant(f): 2:18am On Mar 29, 2006
lol even muslims know we don't joke with our God and they don't joke with their own Allah talkless of a christian. Man whoever posted this ish shud better wake up! how confused d'u tend to be?
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by welborn(m): 2:28am On Mar 29, 2006
what question?
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by Radiant(f): 2:31am On Mar 29, 2006
lol welbon i guess it's d question u replied to grin
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by welborn(m): 2:35am On Mar 29, 2006
If it wasn't that I'd gained from the inputs, maybe it would've been a little off topic.
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by wiseguy(m): 8:50am On Mar 29, 2006
I am highly tempted to continue this discussion but I can forsee that it will drag to the basest level to which I abhor. On that note, I cease to continue with the discussion for I would not partake in wanton belittling of the Name of the Almighty.
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by welborn(m): 9:14am On Mar 29, 2006
You were only asked to explain a few things, especially how Jesus and the Almighty are vice versa. Hiding behind the excuse of your grammar does not mean you've provided answers.
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by lioness(f): 2:44pm On Mar 29, 2006
The grammarians are here grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by Radiant(f): 11:24pm On Mar 29, 2006
wiseguy:

I am highly tempted to continue this discussion but I can forsee that it will drag to the basest level to which I abhor. On that note, I cease to continue with the discussion for I would not partake in wanton belittling of the Name of the Almighty.

Wiseguy I deh salut o grin grin grin
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by Greatpeter(m): 1:26pm On Mar 30, 2006
We can praise and worship Jesus too for He's God and He accepted worship when He was here on planet earth.
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by larger20(m): 6:30pm On Mar 30, 2006
lioness:

The grammarians are here grin grin grin grin grin
hahahah grammarians , I cant stop laughing, muhahahahha
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by dearzi(f): 2:47am On Mar 31, 2006
I don't believe i'm reading all this. Personally, i didn't have the patience to read word for word what everyone's writing, in my own opinion, it's too much letter, and "the letter killeth" (2 Cor 3:6). It's a simple question, Jesus said, "for I and my Father are one" (John 10:30, John 17:21). This is not a case of synonyms or any more "yms" it's a case of glorification, if you praise the Father--God, Jesus is praised, if you praise Jesus, God is also praised (Matt 10:32). The case of the Christ and God is the case of the Sun and its light, can you seperate the sunlight from the Sun? both are the same, you can't have the light without the Sun as you can't have the Father without the Son. So, when it comes to praising God or Christ, praise as your spirit gives you utterance (Rom 8:26, Acts 2:4), so long as you're not praising anything aside the Father and the son--that's another thing!
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by dearzi(f): 3:05am On Mar 31, 2006
Went back and read what everyone wrote, word for word, this time around. Like i said, too much letter, too much sense knowledge, and that's what's dividing us Christians, we can't have a united front, one question that generated enough heat! it is well o! For the sake of the gospel, let every man study to show themselves, RIGHTLY dividing the word of truth (2 Tim 2:15)
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by mlksbaby(f): 8:04am On Mar 31, 2006
dearzi:

This is not a case of synonyms or any more "yms" it's a case of glorification, if you praise the Father--God, Jesus is praised, if you praise Jesus, God is also praised (Matt 10:32).

Matt. 10:32 - "Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven."

My dear dearzi,

"Too much letter, too much sense knowledge because the letter killeth," and all else you have opined simply don't add up. I patiently read yours because one way or the other everyone learns; but sorry to say that your quote of Matt.10:32 doesn't make sense in the context of praising God. The preceding writeups are not separating between Jesus and God the Father in their essential nature, but show that praise is offered to both the Father and the Son - sometimes, praise is offered to the Father through the Son Jesus Christ. The fact that Jesus is also God should not be lumped up to confuse Him with the Father. In rightly dividing the word of truth, this should not be difficult to see.
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by 4getme1(m): 9:47am On Mar 31, 2006
If you have something to contribute for all to learn, simply do so. It seems to me that some who are complaining about "overzealous Christians of our time" and "too much letter, too much sense knowledge" are just experiencing a complex (inferiority or inadequacy). The Word of God was given to teach, shapen and edify us - and it should be quoted whenever applicable. I enjoyed the comic relief ("The grammarians are here" and the "muhahahahha"wink and others. . . but the complaints about this and that - wetin happen?

Pastors in da house, praise God for all you're doing - keep it up. wink
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by nike4luv(f): 11:33am On Mar 31, 2006
God and Jesus are the same thing, the blessed trinity
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by welborn(m): 6:03pm On Mar 31, 2006
Without the Holy Spirit, you don't have the Trinity. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit - the blessed Trinity. wink
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by mckaycee(m): 6:15pm On Mar 31, 2006
I hope nobody is trying to set up a christain fight here. Jesus even said it that "He and his father is ONE". God and his son is ONE. o jare!
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by welborn(m): 6:30pm On Mar 31, 2006
No one is bringing a fight in here. We all know John 10:30 clearly records Jesus Himself saying that He and the Father are one. This oneness does not mean that Jesus is the Father - does anyone argue about that? I don't think so. Jesus did not say "I am the Father"; His statement is: "I and the Father are one." If we praise the Father, we bring glory to the Trinity - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. If we praise the Son, we still bring glory to the Trinity as well.
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by Johnny(m): 11:10am On Apr 03, 2006
Jesus said 'I am the way, the Truth and Life, no one comes to the father except through me'. Again he said "if you believe, any thing you ask the father in MY NAME, He will do it for you". And again, the bible made us to understand that Jesus and God are one. So we can direct our praises to any of the two without giving thought to which of the names we are using. But prayers can be offered to God IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST.
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by dearzi(f): 4:46am On Apr 05, 2006
@mlks_baby
The point i'm trying to get across is this--whatever you do in the presence of the Son, is done before the Father, i might not have used the right scripture, but that was where i was going. You don't have to appear so confrontational sad--this is a forum for dialogue. When we struggle so hard to make a distinction of the God head, how will a muslim interprete it?? that we have 3 gods cuz in all honesty, maybe that's what some believe, but i have one (1) God, who is expressed in 3 persons, don't make each expression less than the other, also doesn't make each expression 3 different beings such that they cause confusion. As for me, there's only the Godhead--a tripartite being.
***this isn't a case of insecurity or inferiority, it's making the gospel as simple and applicable to everyone, such that a lay person can relate with it and apply it, and not give other religions basis to tear at Christianity--we do a good job of that all by ourselves.
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by mlksbaby(f): 8:33am On Apr 05, 2006
My dear dearzi,

I'm sorry it wasn't my intention to sound confrontational at any level. We all have different understandings of the Bible, and however simply you try to explain it, people are bound to misread you sometimes - as I've been misread on many occasions. That said, I do not debate the fact that there's only one God revealed in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. My point is, we should not confuse the Persons in the one divine Godhead. Jesus Christ is the Son - the Son of God (Luke 22:70); the Son of the Father (II John 1:3). But He is not the Father nor the Holy Spirit. Let me share with you why this is so -

It is the Son that is called Christ, not the Father - (Matt. 1:16 & 16:16).

It was the Son, not the Father, who was tempted by the devil - (Matt. 4:1 & James 1:13).

It was the Son, not the Father, who became flesh (incarnate) and was born of the Virgin (John 1:1 & 14).

By pointing out this, I'm not trying to stretch the distinction to mean that there are three Gods in Christianity; but that does not mean that we confuse between the Persons in the one Godhead. If you really know a Muslim mindset, you'll find that (s)he will taunt you by inferring that 'your God was crucified' or 'your God died' when you assume that whatever you do to God is the same to Jesus and vice versa.

Please understand that no matter how you describe or explain it, a Muslim or other non-believer will interpret and believe whatever they want - unless you want to deny the Trinity so that 'it is easier for them to understand' - which, in fact, they will not - because they choose not to. I was a Muslim, and the way many Christians tried to explain the Trinity did not make sense indeed; until I was challenged by my dad and brother who had only been saved a few months earlier. They pointed out that Allah in the Qur'an does not appear to be a singular being. An example:

But does not man call to mind that WE created
him before out of nothing. (Koran 19:67).

"WE" in that verse points to Allah, and as you can see, that does not sound like a singular being speaking in that verse. Yet, the Muslim (unless he/she is willing to be open minded) will NOT choose to believe in Christ even if you preach only one God without the Trinity. Most Muslims even think that the Trinity is the Father, the Son, and Mary the mother!

I agree with you: let's make the Gospel of Christ relevant, easy enough to be understood and applicable to the lay man - but let's not sacrifice the revelation of who God is just for the sake of this easy application. No matter how simple you present your case, people will always want to tear at Christianity with any excuse; whether or not they can understand the Trinity, salvation, heaven or hell.
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by MP007(m): 7:52am On May 05, 2007
jesus is lord
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by Bobbyaf(m): 7:26pm On May 05, 2007
@ KImba

The Bible was not written and given to man for the purpose of Argument. It is meant to be believed and to serve as a guide, leading immortal man to the Eternal God.

True, but one has to be able to prove "all things" according to the apostle Paul. The admonition to prove all things has an element of debate in it. One should be able to use the bible to prove the truth seeing that there is so much deception in the world. Listena s Paul makes it clear as to one of the functions of the word.

2 Timothy 3:16, All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by MP007(m): 12:35pm On Jun 24, 2007
any ,, both
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by seunfunmi4(f): 6:46pm On Aug 16, 2008
God through Jesus Christ
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by Kobojunkie: 6:07pm On May 17, 2023
Posh:
Hello fellow nairalanders.THis question has stirred up an argument between some guyz and girls and i need to sort them out.PLease who should we direct all praises to?God or Jesus ur.
Jesus Christ said in John 5 vs 41 that He does not desire praises from men so it, is it God we are to direct our praises. However, the praises of an unrighteous man are an abomination to God as are all the works of his hands, his offerings, prayers, etc., so it is best to only do as God has commanded in His Law with obedience as the goal until one eventually, through continuous obedience, is approved righteous by God. undecided
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by Kobojunkie: 10:12pm On May 19, 2023
mlksbaby:
Welcome anytime, nicetohave. cheesy Praise is offered indeed to the Trinity - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. (compare Matt.28:19 and Rom.8:15). However, since the question was with regards to praise being offered to either the Father or Jesus the Son, I sought to stay within that context. Thanks for bringing that to our notice, jogego. wink
See what Jesus Christ said of your praises
41 “I don’t want praise from you or any other human.
42 But I know you—I know that you have no love for God.
43 I have come from my Father and speak for him, but you don’t accept me. But when other people come speaking only for themselves, you accept them. - John 5 vs 41 - 43
Re: Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? by Kobojunkie: 2:13am On May 23, 2023
camara:
■ it doesn't matter who's name u call when givin praise.if u say praise God or praise Jesus,the praise goes to the same person. i don't know exactlly the verse or chapter in the bible,but it say"in the beginin was the word and the word was with us and that word was God". in another verse it say"and the word was made flesh and dewelt amongst us".
so if u read the bible with understandin 4rm the holy spirit,u'll see that God and Jesus r 1 and the same person.
It actually does matter given that Jesus Christ made clear He does not want praises from humans. Equally, God said that the praises of an unrighteous are an abomination to Him. So, not only does it matter who you say it to but it also matters the state of the heart of the one saying it. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It True Dat God Does Nt Hear D Prayer Of A Sinner.... / Is It A Sin To Give Offering And Tithe With Old Money? / Pray For Erastus Akingbola Of Intercontinental Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.