Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? (2591 Views)

Exchanging Food During Christmas: You Like? / How Do You Like Your Bread And Tea / Pictures Of Food You Like (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by PrettyCindy(f): 2:06pm On Apr 15, 2012
The health benefits and wonders of garlic are so much that majority cant do without it but you always find a few who would not eat any food with garlic in it. Some go to the extent of chewing it but the very strong pungent smell of garlic “drives“ people away from you till the smell subsides.
Personally i can‘t chew garlic so what i do is that once in a while i prepare small garlic stew with lots (quite alot)of garlic and ginger in it and though it gives the stew a bit of a strong taste, its still better than chewing it raw and eat with yam, rice, plantain and bread. I also crush a piece or two into egg/tomatoe sauce.
How do you like your garlic in your food and are there other ways to enjoy garlic without chewing?
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by MissyB3(f): 2:54pm On Apr 15, 2012
I can't chew garlic either and I seldom cook with it.
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by bisitunde: 7:15am On Apr 18, 2012
Looooove garlic,even d smell bt not d very pungent one that coms from chewing many o! I can't chew it but dice or mash into almost everything I cook-tastes n smells heavenly.
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by Cuteobi(f): 12:10pm On Apr 18, 2012
I can't stand the smell from raw garlic.I add it to my cooking instead
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by JennyAgun(f): 2:57pm On Apr 18, 2012
Garlic can rightfully be called one of nature’s wonders. It can inhibit and kill bacteria, fungi, parasites, lower blood pressure, blood cholesterol and blood sugar, prevent blood clotting, protect the liver and contains anti-tumor properties. If that wasn’t impressive enough, garlic can also boost the immune system to fight off potential disease and maintain health. Garlic is a broad spectrum antibiotic, killing a wide variety of bacteria. Many pharmaceutical antibiotics kill only a narrow range of these germs. Dr. Tariq Abdullah, a prominent garlic researcher stated in the August 1987 issue of Prevention: “Garlic has the broadest spectrum of any antimicrobial substance that we know of — it is antibacterial, antifungal, antiparasitic, antiprotozoan and antiviral.”
Garlic has the ability to stimulate the lymphatic system which expedites the removal of waste from the body. It is considered an effective antioxidant and can help protect cells against free radical damage. In addition, it nourishes and supports the heart, stomach, circulation and the lungs. Current research suggests that garlic may help prevent some forms of cancer, heart disease, strokes and viral infections.
Garlic alone can provide us with over two hundred unusual chemicals that have the capability of protecting the human body from a wide variety of diseases. The sulfur containing compounds found in garlic afford the human body with protection by stimulating the production of certain beneficial enzymes. Most experts agree that garlic does not have to be eaten in its raw form to be effective. Cooked garlic or various aged extracts and oils can in some cases provide better protection against free radicals and infection than raw garlic.

History Examples
in 1916 the British government asked for tons of garlic bulbs, offering one shilling a pound for as much as could be produced. A great quantity of it was used for the control of suppuration in wounds. The raw juice was expressed, diluted with water, and put on swabs of sterilized sphagnum moss which was applied to the wounds. Where this treatment was given, it has been proved that there has never been one single case of sepsis or septic results. Consequently, the lives of tens of thousands have been saved by this one miraculous herb.
In the olden days, garlic was employed as a specific for leprosy, psoriasis and several forms of exanthematous skin diseases. It was also believed to have the most beneficial result in smallpox applied to the soles of the feet in a linen cloth renewed daily.
Garlic was the principal ingredient in the famous Four Thieves Vinegar which was adapted so successfully at Marseilles for protection against the plague when it prevailed there in 1722.. This originated, it is said, with four thieves who confessed that, while protected by the liberal use of aromatic garlic vinegar during the plague, they plundered the dead bodies of the victims with complete safety.
It is stated that during an outbreak of infectious fever in certain poor quarters of London in the early 1800's, the French priests who constantly used garlic in all their dishes visited the very worst cases with impunity, while the English clergy caught the infection, and in many instances, fell victim to the disease.

Garlic's Properties
Antioxidant: Protects cells against damage by free radicals found in environmental pollutants including heavy metals. Garlic contains the highest level of the antioxidant selenium, which affords excellent cellular protection.
Anti-toxic: Can be considered a radiation antidote in that it stimulates cellular detoxification.
Anti-cancer: Blocks the ability of carcinogens to mutate healthy cells into malignant ones. In some cases, Garlic can even inhibit the early proliferation of cancerous cells.
Decongestant: Helps to rid the respiratory tract of mucus.
Artery Cleanser: Significantly lowers blood levels of triglycerides which have been associated with an increased risk of heart attack.
Anti-artherosclerotic: Promotes the regression of fatty deposits in blood vessels, a major cause of atherosclerosis, and can even help reverse arterial blockages caused by the collection of plaque.
Antibiotic: Works as an immune system stimulant which helps the body fight bacterial, viral and fungal infections. Enhancing immune defenses may also help the body rid itself of cancerous invaders.
Anticoagulant: Reduces the tendency of the blood to clot and helps to dissolve existing clots. Both of these actions are very significant in reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Tonic: Garlic has a positive effect on the heart, stomach, lungs and spleen.
Anti-infection: Externally, garlic can be used as a drawing poultice.
Antiparasitic: Garlic has traditionally been used in enemas to rid the colon of intestinal parasites.
Blood Purifier: Helps to stimulate the lymphatic system to more efficiently get rid of waste material.
Glucose Control: Garlic has been found to be useful in controlling glucose tolerance and is beneficial for both hypo and hyperglycemia. Anyone with diabetes can benefit from garlic as well.
Swelling: Garlic suppositories have been used to shrink hemorrhoids.
Anti-inflammatory: The anti-inflammatory action of garlic makes it a valuable treatment for arthritis. Garlic reduces joint swelling and inflammation
Antihypertensive: Garlic has been recognized by the Japanese Food and Drug Administration as an official treatment for high blood pressure.
Garlic is a “wonder” food that is considered to be one of the most effective natural healing substances in the world.

When eating raw garlic, please be aware that raw garlic can be very irritating to the stomach and could injure the digestive tract. Don't eat too much of it.
Fresh Rub: A fresh clove of garlic can be used directly on warts. When added to the diet, it works as a prophylactic against infection, helps to reduce high blood cholesterol and improves the cardiovascular system. Eating garlic regularly can also help to lower blood sugar levels.
Juice: Garlic juice can be taken for digestive disorders, infectious diseases and for atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).
Capsules: Powdered garlic can be taken in capsules. Garlic capsules are a convenient way to supplement the diet with garlic.
Maceration: Garlic cloves can be steeped in water overnight and taken as a treatment for intestinal parasites.
Aged Oil: Considered by some to be a superior form of garlic.
Storage: Fresh garlic can be stored in a cool, dry, dark place.
Garlic extracts and oils should be kept in dark bottles and can be refrigerated.
Garlic infused wine. Chop or crush garlic, cover with wine, and let it sit overnight.
Garlic vinegar. Same as above, but use vinegar instead of water.
Garlic honey. Same as above, but with honey. No added water is needed. This makes a great antibiotic cough syrup.
Chopped Garlic plus a table spoon of honey daily is very medicinal, if you have fibroid problems and you are trying to get pregnant.

1 Like

Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by lepasharon(f): 11:34pm On Apr 18, 2012
i grind it into my edikaikong wink
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by PrettyCindy(f): 7:20am On Apr 19, 2012
@Jenny Agun, thanks for that wonderful detailed information.
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 19, 2012
Oooh, I love garlic. Sometimes I eat it raw, then drink ten jars of water afterwards cheesy. I love garlic powder for seasoning food too.
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by Detongue: 11:54pm On Apr 29, 2012
Thanks 4 d details. I dice galic EVERY day into my cup of tea. 'Top tea and milk', hw effective is dis. Pls i need a reply
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by PrettyCindy(f): 11:43am On May 03, 2012
Detongue: Thanks 4 d details. I dice galic EVERY day into my cup of tea. 'Top tea and milk', hw effective is dis. Pls i need a reply

Steeping is still ok but you will have to let the garlic pieces stay a little while for the juice to be extracted into the hot water/tea. But if i were you, i would completely crush the garlic and mix with water and then drink it. You can crush it by simply putting it in between two knives and apply great pressure on the knife (or use any other method suitably for you).
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by Detongue: 2:27pm On May 05, 2012
@PrettyCindy, i'm doing just dat. Thanks
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by segunjowo(m): 7:47am On May 13, 2012
This is nice. I am subscribing to garlic from now. Tnx girls..
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by PrettyCindy(f): 10:22am On May 14, 2012
Another better way of extracting juice from garlic and ginger is by simply blending.

1. After peeling both, wash and cut the ginger into small pieces.
2. Transfer into a blender, add water and blend both till smooth.
3. Filter, add more water to the chaff to extract all the juice.
4. Transfer to a bottle, refrigerate for preservation.
5. I drink it once a day with short glass (the type used to measure ogogoro).

I so much love this method because you can enjoy your garlic very well and still avoid the strong smell.
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by Nobody: 11:20am On May 14, 2012
I eat garlic in the raw form. Atleast, once in every 5days.
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by Enkaynwa(f): 11:00am On May 21, 2012
can a pregnant woman tak it?(crushed wit hot tea)
Re: Garlic- How Do You Like Yours? by PrettyCindy(f): 8:19pm On May 21, 2012
Enkaynwa: can a pregnant woman tak it?(crushed wit hot tea)

The smell will first of all be a big turn off. More importantly you should do a little bit of research by googling your question and ask your doctor.

(1) (Reply)

Recipe For Cotton Seed Soup / Viral Video Of A Thin Chinese Lady Swallowing 30 Eggs. / Will You Eat This Chocolate Filled Puff-puff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.