Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,248 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? (56450 Views)

FUTMinna Orders 100-Level Students To Withdraw / Nigerian Breaks Academic Record At University Of Manchester!!! Photos / Am I Too Old To Enter 100 Level At 21? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ishmael(m): 5:10pm On Aug 10, 2006
Ayotunde, if you are sure that your HND was as good as a Bsc why then did you go back to repeat (i prefer using this word) doing what you have in hand already? Why did you not continue to get a masters Degree. I have a friend that has a Phd now, and he started from ND - HND- PGD - Msc and now Phd. Please learn from him. And for your information he is a Lecturer in Mathematics Department, ABU zaria - Nigeria. What are we talking about?? Come out rightly and tell us where you belong. You cannot be serving God and satan at the same time.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ify2love2(f): 10:53am On Aug 12, 2006
If i had read this topic and postings before, i wouldn't have gone for my HND programme.

God help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PGD is quite expensive now. cry cry cry
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by Hndholder(m): 10:57am On Aug 12, 2006
Please do not regret your HND. If not because I had HND I would have been jobless. Your HND will take you to places once you are not looking at BSc holders as GOD. Things will change for HND holder, you will see.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ify2love2(f): 11:33am On Aug 12, 2006
@Hnd-holder. Thanks for the encouragement.

What i know for sure is that i will get to the top HND or not. One with God is majority. God will see all HND's Holders through.

By the way why do you use Hnd-holder as your ID. Just curious.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ishmael(m): 7:40am On Aug 14, 2006
My dear no regret why you go for HND oo. Dont worry soonest things will change and you will have every reason to laugh. Its unfortunate that HND holders are given little or no recognition in nigeria, but the truth is that polytechnic education is needed to move nigeria forward whether they like it or not. Have you ever wondered why nigeria at 45 is still behind technologically and economically? The obvious reason is our government and policy makers have failed to give attention to technical and technological education which is what any nation needs to develop technologically and economically. Dont worry the battle will soon be over and the war will be won. Already OBJ have removed the ceiling placed on HND holders in the civil service. The problem now is the private sector. Cheers!!!
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by Hndholder(m): 10:17am On Aug 14, 2006
ify2love2:

@Hnd-holder. Thanks for the encouragement.

What i know for sure is that i will get to the top HND or not. One with God is majority. God will see all HND's Holders through.

By the way why do you use Hnd-holder as your ID. Just curious.

It is because, The first woman I wanted to marry left me, when she told her parent that I am an HND Holder. They denied our relationship.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ishmael(m): 10:54am On Aug 14, 2006
na wa oo, so even in relationships and marraiges there is discrimination against HND holders??
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ify2love2(f): 5:10pm On Aug 15, 2006
@hnd-holder.

Are you serious? What was the girl's qualification? Ma me this is bad news.

I hope you are not heart broken sha?
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ishmael(m): 4:10pm On Aug 30, 2006
Dont be dicouraged in going to do HND. If you get a direct entry to do a Bsc program, fine. But the main thing is to be good in which ever one you choose to do. Be able to defendyour certificate at the end of the day. Bsc and HND are good qualifications, but the most important thing is to be able deliver well when called upon.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by Hndholder(m): 8:58am On Aug 31, 2006
ify2love2:

@hnd-holder.

Are you serious? What was the girl's qualification? Ma me this is bad news.

I hope you are not heart broken sha?

It was so seriuos that I was hospitalised not for the heart that was broken, but the HND that gave money and hope to me. The girl had OND then later Bsc from ABU. Infact I settled with a school cert. holder later but the wound in still there.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ishmael(m): 12:16pm On Aug 31, 2006
Ekpele oo, HND holder.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ify2love2(f): 3:07pm On Aug 31, 2006
SORRY OOOOOOOOOOOO.

That girl was never meant for you. There are some people that despite their school cert. you will still be amazed with how intelligent they are. So upgrade your girl to the level you want her to be.

Good luck. Hmmmmmmm be careful so Bsc holder will not snatch her again so don't upgrade her too much.

okay? wink wink wink
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by Hndholder(m): 7:36am On Sep 03, 2006
Now that I own PhD in addition to my HND, and my lovely wife also had HND +++ we are blessed with children. Thank you it is all over now, things are realy working for the HND holders now
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ify2love2(f): 1:29pm On Sep 06, 2006
Am happy to hear that.
Best of Luck.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by Hndholder(m): 2:39pm On Sep 06, 2006
You are really lovely human benign I appreciate that Never will I send anybody to polytechnic again. Let Government put their own children as a middle level thing. Ah HND!
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ishmael(m): 3:28pm On Sep 06, 2006
With God all things are possible.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by Hndholder(m): 4:28pm On Sep 06, 2006
With GOD HND turns to golden certificate
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ishmael(m): 6:59pm On Sep 11, 2006
If Govt no go make polytechnics attractive like universities then all polytechnic graduates, students and staff should come out and do a peaceful demonstration in every state capital and Abuja asking them to scrap polytechnics and polytechnic education in nigeria. No body should be decieved in going to polytechnic in nigeria. Let all of us go to university and get Degrees, since that is what they want. Infact Technical and vocational schools at secondary level should be scrapped too. NBTE should be be abolished and lets have only NUC and universities in nigeria.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by adeyemi04(m): 2:16pm On May 17, 2007
nowadays people are making d mistake of comparing poly student wit university student what poly student know uni student does not know it.I sugest it is better 4 sm one 2 go back 4 HND dan go 2 university.I don't say 2 go 2 university is not good bt this is my own opinion.Thanks so much
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by zebra(m): 5:46pm On May 17, 2007
adeyemi04:

nowadays people are making d mistake of comparing poly student wit university student what poly student know uni student does not know it.I sugest it is better 4 sm one 2 go back 4 HND dan go 2 university.I don't say 2 go 2 university is not good bt this is my own opinion.Thanks so much

But there won't be polytechnics and HND any more in Nigeria. Have you forgotten that Government have scrapped and abolished HND programs and HND certificate in Nigeria?? No more polytechnics in nigeria again.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by dominobaby(f): 9:43am On May 18, 2007
@ishmael, why are you taking this thing out on B.sc peeps like this. I noticed this in some of your posts.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ishmael(m): 10:24am On May 18, 2007
dominobaby:

@ishmael, why are you taking this thing out on B.sc peeps like this. I noticed this in some of your posts.

Because they make too much noise and claim they know more than HND holders in Nigeria; but they have never done anything to show or prove that their Bsc is better than HND.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by b7slim(m): 4:39pm On May 21, 2007
pls.  somebody tell me if LASU part time forms are out. I've been waiting to register.
mmore so advice if LASPOTECH offers Computer Engineering course and if the form
is available for sale.
HND is not a bad idea in engineering fields, afterall they are better equipped|_than the so-call university graduates who cannot even spell their names,
especially those campus girls. grin
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by Chigotex(f): 10:32am On May 24, 2007
LASU part-time fresh students er yet to resume the session, so I'm not sure the form will be out till later this yr or early next yr.

The issue of Bsc & HND has been raising so much dost not only on naira land but also in the labour market. But I thinks what should be the matter is who can be able to defend his/her certificate.

Yes some campus girls can't spell their names but many know why they er in school.

My humble opinion.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ishmael(m): 8:06am On May 25, 2007
Whether HND or Bsc, be able to defend ur Degree. I know of some Bsc/BEng holders that are dull just as i know of many HND holders in Engineering and Sciences that are incompetent; so the whole thing boils down to the individual and not the certificate or school attended.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by Gamesmart: 3:11pm On Dec 20, 2009
Hnd-holder:

You need to read this [i]A Perspective On The Discrimination Against Nigerian HND Holders[i][/i]By[/i]Christian Dimkpa

Germany

Dimkpa@uni-jena.de

At present, the average Nigerian graduate, be they of the university or the polytechnic hue, is largely poorly trained and therefore ill equipped to face life’s dynamic realities. On a visit to Nigeria last summer, one of my former lecturers at the Michael Okpara College of Agriculture (MOCA), Owerri Imo State, during a discussion, concluded that the last set of motivated and serious students of his college graduated in 1998. I agreed with him not because I was of that set, but because my HND research project attests to that. However, I remembered that this same lecturer, like several of his peers, rather than engage the students in rigorous academic work, sold plagiarised hand-outs to us like no man’s business. This brings me to the recent directive from President Obasanjo, aimed at ending the discrimination between HND and BSc graduates. Whether employers of labour are heeding this directive or not, is another story. But, tell me, what is there to discriminate against when both qualifications (as obtained from Nigeria in recent times) reek of mediocrity? The truth is, like his BSc counterpart, the present Nigerian HND graduate is a lazy, dependent fellow who would not take his destiny in his hands. Many students attend polytechnics for several reasons. For me, but also, am sure, for many ND students, being from just an average-resource base family, undertaking an ND program was a form of security, since the later is of shorter duration, and there is no guaranteed funding for the longer BSc program. It was reasoned that in the event of loss of sponsorship (from death or loss of job by the sponsor); one can pause after the ND, work for a while and then continue with higher studies. For the much longer BSc program, loss of sponsorship midway could see the individual involved back to school certificate level. Would you blame anyone for reasoning this way? I wouldn’t; with  poverty so palpable in Nigeria.
Although I was fully aware of the discrimination phenomenon, I did not let it be a road-block to my ambition. If you will permit, a brief delve into my career might help to buttress this point. I use to hold (of course, I still hold) a National Diploma (ND) and a HND in Crop Production, both from relatively non-renown higher institutions in Nigeria. However, it is instructive that today, I am pursuing a PhD program at one of the prestigious Max Planck institutes in Germany (best research institute in Europe and eight best globally), and this is in an innovative field of study that perhaps, may never be conducted in any Nigerian university many years from now. This is after obtaining an International MSc degree in Belgium from a university that is listed among the first 300 globally. Note that no Nigerian university is in the first 500, and in the newspaper recently, one Nigerian stakeholder lamented that even if the ranking is extended to the first 5000 best universities, Nigerian universities would still not make the list.
After my HND studies in 1998, I worked with the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) Ibadan, as a Research Assistant. During the interview for that position, several BSc graduate applicants from ‘well-known’ universities such as UI, UniLag, OAU-Ile Ife, among others, were interviewed as well, but the big university names associated with those individuals did not save them from relegation, as they say in football parlance. What I am emphasising here is that it is the intellectual quality of the individual, not the institution attended, that often matters. If you know IITA, then you will agree with me that when it comes to staff recruitment, personal merit is the watchword, not merely possessing a HND or BSc degree.
Afterwards, I applied for graduate studies at the Federal University of Agriculture in Abeokuta (UNAAB). Surprisingly or not, I was not considered suitable for admission either because of my HND (upper credit), or because I do not come from that part of Nigeria (remember that tribalism is another serious scourge in Nigeria). But that is by the way. Nevertheless, I did not relent in my desire to attain the highest academic level possible, so that in spite of possessing a HND and the unexplained rejection by UNAAB, and thanks to hundreds of internet hours, I soon obtained a full scholarship from the Belgian inter-university council (www.vlir.be) in 2003, to study Molecular Biology (Plant Biotechnology) in that country. When I arrived in Belgium for the MSc program, I found out that of 241 Nigerians who applied for scholarship for the course, I was the only one admitted. Remember, I held a HND, not the ‘almighty’ BSc. The curious mind that I am, I inquired more about the unsuccessful Nigerian applicants and behold, they were mostly university graduates (again from UI, UniLag, OAU, UNN, UniPort, etc). Of course, two other students of The Polytechnic Ibadan were also admitted but for a different MSc course. That polytechnic offers only HND and not BSc programs. Such is the power of the individual merit. I have since acquitted myself very well in the Belgian MSc program; hence I was admitted, again on full fellowship, to one of the International Max Planck Research School (IMPRS) of the Max Planck society in Germany (http://www.mpg.de/english and also (http://www.ice.mpg.de) , to study beneficial plant-microbe interaction using modern biotechniques, including proteomics and metabolomics. The other Nigerian scholars, formerly holding HNDs, have since undertaken different higher pursuits here in Europe. This narrative does not by any means attempt to denigrate Nigerian BSc graduates or the universities from which they graduated, but rather to de-emphasise the entrenched segregation. There is even a dichotomy between federal and state university graduates. Wonders shall never end, in Nigeria! From my experience, it can be seen that the senseless HND-BSc dichotomy should have no place in the mind of any serious-minded Nigerian graduate. After all, the HND is fully recognised in the UK and have several equivalents in other European countries. What then is all the fuss about it in Nigeria? My little advice to the Nigerian HND holder who have suffered this discrimination, and who feel qualified enough for certain positions denied them is this: do not let man-made barriers block your ambition, except you have none. Take a cue from others; take time off to do meaningful internet browsing, not using the internet for 419 and other such negative activities. In no time, you too can obtain scholarships to foreign and much better rated institutions of higher learning. By so doing you would have catapulted yourself well beyond any possible academic discrimination if you choose to return to Nigeria to work.

Christian Dimkpa, a PhD fellow of the International Max Planck Research School, writes from Jena, Germany (cdimkpa@ice.mpg.de)

Discrimination! This man go dey bitter with his papaland.
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ikelowa(m): 8:54pm On Dec 20, 2009
HELLO NAIRALANDERS!!! AM FRANK FROM LAGOS.PLZ I WAS SENT A LETTER OF OFFER FOR AN ADMISSION INTO OSISATECH POLY AT ENUGU TO STUDY ACCOUNTANCY.I HAVE GONE TO THE SCHOOL ,I WAS GIVEN AN APTITUDE TEST WHICH I DID.BUT WHAT I WANT TO ASK IS THIS:
> IF EVENTUALLY I GRADUATED FROM THE SCHOOL AS OND2 STUDENT IN WHICH I WILL TAKE A DIRECT ENTRY TO A BETTER SCHOOL (UNIVERSITY) TO START FROM YEAR 2,WILL I BE ACCEPTED BY THE SCHOOL?.LIKE UNN FOR INSTANCE OR ANY FEDERAL UNIVERSITY.
>IF YES,PLZ CAN YOU LINK ME UP WITH YOUR CONTACT EFFECT.
>IF NO,CAN YOU ADVISE ME ON WHAT TO DO.
MY INTENTION NOW IS TO BE ADMITED INTO THE SCHOOL WITH THE HOPE OF TAKING JAMB NEXT
YEAR,CHOOSE SCHOOL LIKE UNN OR OAU AND PREPARED FULLY FOR THE APTITUDE TEST, AM TIRED OF BEING AT HOME.AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHICH FEDERAL UNIVERSITY IS ACCEPTING DIRECT ENTYR FROM OSISATECH POLYTECHNIC.THANKING YOU
FOR UR REPLIES.GOODDAY
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by guru02(m): 7:48am On Jul 27, 2010
Who knows about Osisatech Polytechnic.
How is there cert accepted
Thanks
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by poshebony(f): 2:59pm On Jul 22, 2015
PLEASE I WANT TO KNOW IF UNIVERSITY OF UYO RECOGNIZE OSISATECH POLYTECHNIC FOR PGD AS IN IF UNIUYO WILL GRANT ADMISSION INTO PGD FROM OSISATECH POLYTECHNIC. THANK YOU
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by ikediashi01: 10:15am On Oct 19, 2016
please guys i have just one question to ask,
how long does it takes a polytechnic to release their OND diploma result, having finished ONDII?
Re: ND Holder: HND or 100 Level at University? by xtien40: 4:08pm On Nov 02, 2016
It all depends on the school in question, Most schools release results in couple of months while others release after a month, the thing is it all balls down to administrative setting of the school management!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Nairalander Visits The World's Coolest Library In China, Shares Her Experience / 18 foreign Universities Banned By The NUC (see Full List) / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.