Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,203 members, 7,953,749 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:11 AM

45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • (1347 Views)

Bomb Discovered At INEC Office In Owerri / Undetonated Civil-War Bomb Discovered In Imo / Bomb Discovered In Abuja Catholic School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by tyson55(m): 10:19pm On Apr 16, 2012
45 Years after civil war: Russian bomb discovered in Anambra • Experts say 50,000 landmines were laid in the state

Forty-five years after the Nigeria/Biafra civil war ended, pandemonium erupted yesterday at Idemili North Council Headquarters, Ogidi, Anambra State, as experts excavated an undetonated Russian made object suspected to be bomb, apparently dropped during the war.

Sunday Sun reporter, who visited Ogidi, headquarters of Idemili North Council, saw the level of uneasy calm as experts worked carefully to excavate the bomb so as not to detonate it, while security agents cordoned off the major road leading to the area, which many believed was a major war-front during the Nigeria/Biafra war.

The bomb, which looked like an oblong sharp metal object, was discovered a week ago by a security official attached to the council secretariat. It was lying about two inches on the earth’s surface at the new council secretariat still under construction, which led to invitation of experts from the Nigerian Mine Action Centre (NMAC), Enugu.

According to the security man that discovered the bomb, who pleaded anonymity, the discovery prompted the council officials to invite the NMAC for its excavation and possible detonation, adding that the scene had been cordoned off to avoid any ugly incident.

During the excavation exercise yesterday, which was supervised by leader of the NMAC, Dr. Emeka Uhiegbu, residents trooped to the council secretariat to watch the exercise. Speaking with Chairman of Idemili North Council, Chief Ralph Nnabuife, whose office was near to where the object was discovered, shortly after the excavation exercise, Dr. Uhiegbu said the NMAC acted on the United Nations (UN) resolution that all countries that fought wars should de-mine all landmines buried or abandoned in the cause of war.

Dr. Uhiegbu added that his team was working in collaboration with the Ministry of Defence in de-mining the entire South-East and South-South states, where about 50,000 landmines were suspected to have been laid during the 30-month-old war.

He therefore, advised people to always report to security agencies any suspicious metal found in their areas of habitation so as to avoid explosion that could lead to casualties, adding that undetonated bombs were scattered in several locations in the South-East and South-South zones where soldiers used as camps during the civil war.

He also advised those erecting new buildings to be meticulous about the possible existence of explosives lying below the earth.

Responding, Transition Committee Chairman of Idemili North Council, Mr. Ralph Nnabuife, expressed shock at the discovery of the bomb, adding that such weapon in the area was a testimony that serious battle was really fought between the Nigerian and defunct Biafran troops at Nkpor and Abagana sectors.

He warned residents to report any suspicious object to law enforcement agents for prompt action.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/apr/15/501.html
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by OneNaira6: 10:26pm On Apr 16, 2012
undecided Imo, they should sweep the entire eastern region to clear out all this. One of this days, the hidden bombs would explode.
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by tyson55(m): 10:39pm On Apr 16, 2012
Dr. Uhiegbu added that his team was working in collaboration with the Ministry of Defence in de-mining the entire South-East and South-South states, where about 50,000 landmines were suspected to have been laid during the 30-month-old war.

Damn!!!
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by dasparrow: 11:14pm On Apr 16, 2012
tyson55:

Damn!!!

I know. That's alot. They just wanted to wipe out a whole group of people. The more I think of it, I think the war was genocide. The government should try to peruse the area and dig out any hidden bombs that are left so that no one get's hurt. Sigh Nigeria!
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by BlackPikiN(m): 11:48pm On Apr 16, 2012
50,000 landmines.
This is massacre!
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by Nobody: 11:54pm On Apr 16, 2012
BlackPikiN: 50,000 landmines.
This is massacre!

Sure, "Genocide". What did you expect them to lay in wait for their enemies, candy and cookies?

Rubbish! By the way, the Ogbunigwe thats oft boasted of wetin e be? T shirt? Ol boy, make una sharrap and get it in your head that it was a war that the weaker side lost. All these attempts at unnecessary sympathy are starting to irritate.
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by BlackPikiN(m): 12:09am On Apr 17, 2012
kingoflag:

Sure, "Genocide". What did you expect them to lay in wait for their enemies, candy and cookies?

Rubbish, by the way, the Ogbunigwe thats usually boasted of wetin e be? T shirt? Ol boy, make una sharrap and get it in your head that it was a war that the weaker side lost. All these attempts at unnecessary sympathy are starting to irritate.

Lol..So you acknowledge ogbunigwe abi?

You all damn lazy bastarrrds who couldn't crush "tiny" Biafra without the help of world power.
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by OneNaira6: 12:46am On Apr 17, 2012
tyson55:

Damn!!!

SMH. How did I miss that quote. Nigeria biko continue to suffer, Boko Harem continue bombing. Karma is biting una in the @ss.
What goes around, must surely come back around with pride and in Nigeria sake, it came back in full force.
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by Nnenna1(f): 12:55am On Apr 17, 2012
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by Nobody: 2:34am On Apr 17, 2012
BlackPikiN:

Lol..So you acknowledge ogbunigwe abi?

You all damn lazy bastarrrds who couldn't crush "tiny" Biafra without the help of world power.

Aren't you a mor*on. Who are the "lazy bastarrrds"? Can you tell my tribe just from my post u I'm*becile?
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by BlackPikiN(m): 2:36am On Apr 17, 2012
kingoflag:

Aren't you a mor*on. Who are the "lazy bastarrrds"? Can you tell my tribe just from my post u I'm*becile?

I give no rat f0rk about your goddamned tribe.
Get lost loser!
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by Nobody: 3:27am On Apr 17, 2012
BlackPikiN:

Get lost loser!

What a fu-cking Lo*ser! I guess growing up with no electricity would screw anybody's brain up.
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by Katsumoto: 3:39am On Apr 17, 2012
dasparrow:

I know. That's alot. They just wanted to wipe out a whole group of people. The more I think of it, I think the war was genocide. The government should try to peruse the area and dig out any hidden bombs that are left so that no one get's hurt. Sigh Nigeria!

BlackPikiN: 50,000 landmines.
This is massacre!

Sometimes it pays for one to engage one's brain before making a comment.

The Nigerian forces were trying to subdue Biafra, so at what point would Nigerian forces have laid the mines? Before they marched into the territory they wanted to subdue or after they subdued it to ensure that their own troops were killed?

Landmines are used as a defensive strategy.

SMDH
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by oduasolja: 4:04am On Apr 17, 2012
how do we know its not biafra that laid those land mines.

after all , land mines are defensive armaments.

used to prevent invasion.
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by Obiagu1(m): 4:40am On Apr 17, 2012
Katsumoto:

Sometimes it pays for one to engage one's brain before making a comment.

The Nigerian forces were trying to subdue Biafra, so at what point would Nigerian forces have laid the mines? Before they marched into the territory they wanted to subdue or after they subdued it to ensure that their own troops were killed?

Landmines are used as a defensive strategy.

SMDH

Land mines are not used only for defensive purposes sad

And by the way, you don't need to walk around to lay mines! It can be spread aerially!
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by Katsumoto: 5:06am On Apr 17, 2012
Obiagu1:

Land mines are not used only for defensive purposes sad

And by the way, you don't need to walk around to lay mines! It can be spread aerially!

Please explain to us how the Nigerian forces would have laid mines before advancing into Biafran territory. Please explain that strategy.

What does how the mines are laid have to do with who might have laid the mines? If you spread the mines aerially, it will not kill the advancing forces?? shocked

The only reason Nigerian forces would have used mines would have been if it wanted to restrict Biafrans to Biafran territory and since we know that Nigerian forces were advancing into Biafran territory, they couldn't have used mines.
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by Nobody: 4:23am On Aug 14, 2013
d last time i checked,russia was an ally of nigeria during d war nt of biafra.and since it seems dat most of u er underinformed wen it comes to millitary armaments,landmines er used as both defensive and offensive weapons.in dis case,my guess is dat d where either used to discourage a biafran counterattack or since they werent laid in a field where meant for civillians.i might b wrong but 1 tin am sure of is dat biafra didnt hav d resources to lay 50,000 russian mines in dir zone
Re: 45 Years After Civil War: Russian Bomb Discovered In Anambra • by brownlord: 4:41am On Aug 14, 2013
BlackPikiN:

Get lost loser!

Chibueze, na u dey speak america english so? go see your kins men won die finish for russia

"Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Chrisabig: 3:43am From ASUU thread posted by Chrisabig

Abeg nigeria guys don die finish for china, mostly ibo, uli and iheala guys doing drug business in dragon hotel. Yesterday morning 300 police with dog suround the hotel and many guys jump from 5 story and skater there legs while 7 die at a spot, up to 100 where cash, no bi small thing, if you have brother here pls call to know if his alive. Ibo gov should fast do someting about ibo guys if not they will all die looking for fast money."

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS!!!!! Suicide Bomber Blows Up Church In Bauchi / Who Will U Vote For Presidency? / Army’ll Resist Move To Divide Nigeria – Ihejirika

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.