Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,530 members, 7,850,809 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:27 AM

The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent (27774 Views)

The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market / $1.1b Fraud: British Judge Questions GEJ's Integrity, Stops Etete From Getting / One Of The Paris Terrorists Was Of Nigerian Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Katsumoto: 9:03pm On Apr 22, 2012
naijababe:

And you are also still missing my point! I'm supposed to give a f/uck about what Spike Lee thinks, another random person on TV?! Maybe saying that my parents were all I needed is why you are missing the point, the fact is, it's better for your role model to be someone you know, in your community not some random face on TV who happens to be the same race as you.

Really?! Do you even know how much they already do? It just seem to be so fashionable to express this this simplistic view, why I'd never know? The next time you find yourself in London, pick up a copy of the South London Press.

As for Indians expanding, I honestly can't stop laughing, expanding from where to where? That my friend is another misconception!

Whether you are willing to accept it or not, there are more rich/wealthy indians than there are BLACK people in the UK. I suspect you know this already. There are four indians in top 12 of the 2011 Times Rich List. I will have a quick look to compare numbers.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 9:03pm On Apr 22, 2012
Gbawe:

You clearly don't know what you are talking about and your amiable language does nothing to hide a shallow desire to gain validation through feeling superior to others. You say this should not be "a schlong measuring contest" and then you , in the same post, go on to say this "but we in the U.S. have more opportunities". Come on dude it is not Rocket science. It is obvious your thread is a mischievous attempt at getting folks to massage an ego obsessed with vacuously looking down on others.

Your reply to me I must say was quite amusing. Some of the words you have used, I have not seen since I took the SAT many years ago. Do you really believe I have ulterior motives my friend? Please give me some credit, I am not callous. Yes, I do admit that I have used comparisons, but all I am trying to say that the Nigerian communities in the US and the UK are not very different, therefore, it must be other reasons why young Nigerians in the UK are joining gangs. And I believe that lies with the societal problems found in the UK, such as class, race, education etc. Please stop ignoring the elephant in the room.

2 Likes

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Katsumoto: 9:07pm On Apr 22, 2012
coogar:

by doing better than your white counterpart!! it's so simple.
if you put in the shift, you get appreciated. if you rest your laurels and wait for british manna,
then you have yourself to blame.

i have never been racially abused in britain in my entire life. i have taken more
abuses in nigeria than anywhere i have been. so do you really expect me to take racial
issues serious?

By doing better than your white counterpart!!!!!!! Are you implying that you are doing better than all white people in the UK? Perhaps you should explain the counterparts you are referring to.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

I was born and raised in the United States and I am only half Nigerian. And my analysis about Nigerian Americans is very true.

If you disagree with me, then provide some information that counters my arguments.

When was the last time you heard of any Nigerian Americans living in the United States being involved in gang activity? Why does it seem like there is a crime wave amongst Nigerians youths living in Great Britain?

You would think that Nigerians living in America, would be more susceptible to the "gangsta" lifestyle, since African American culture is the dominant culture in the black community.

I am not trying to be rude, I just want to know what is happening in the UK that is causing many Nigerian youth to behave like this.

I kinda get what you're saying, but on the bolded, You clearly don't get what you yourself are saying.

Dont generalize is all I'm saying. There are American Doctors/Gang members of Nigerian descent in the U.S, just like their British Counterparts.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by coogar: 9:11pm On Apr 22, 2012
Katsumoto:
By doing better than your white counterpart!!!!!!! Are you implying that you are doing better than all white people in the UK? Perhaps you should explain the counterparts you are referring to.

staying ahead of my immediate competition!
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:12pm On Apr 22, 2012
Katsumoto:

Whether you are willing to accept it or not, there are more rich/wealthy indians than there are BLACK people in the UK. I suspect you know this already. There are four indians in top 12 of the 2011 Times Rich List. I will have a quick look to compare numbers.

Jeez! I can't believe you are running around in circles like this! All four men who migrated to Britain after having made their fortunes in India? grin. Heck if Mike Adenuga and Aliko Dangote choose to migrate to the UK, they'll be in the list and we can claim some representation and I can tell you that your Indians are doing better than blacks argument is farcical, no?

Anyway, provide me with some proportional representation jare
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 9:13pm On Apr 22, 2012
kingoflag:

I kinda get what you're saying, but on the bolded, You clearly don't get what you yourself are saying.

Dont generalize is all I'm saying. There are American Doctors/Gang members of Nigerian descent in the U.S, just like their British Counterparts.

I understand exactly what I am saying, because I would not have made the statement if I didn't understand it. I guess making broad statements hurts people egos?

Answer this question.

Is there a problem facing Nigerian youth in the UK? If so, what can be done about it?
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Gbawe: 9:14pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

I am still waiting for a proper refutation. You have been debating those who currently live in the UK. Who am I suppose to believe? You who make 0.5% of Nigerians living in the UK or the average Nigerian in the UK who does not have it so easy?

What "refutation" does your closed mind want? Your claim you were "overwhelmed" with "gangsta" culture in the "UK" is an outright and ignorant falsification because troubled London boroughs cannot be deemed to be "the UK". That alone means it is pointless showing you that this is a case of you pandering to that flaw in man making him predisposed to focusing obsessively and obdurately on negatives. There is a problem with gang culture in London but it is not as if this is swallowing, wholesale, all Britons of Nigerian origin as you simplistically imply. Indeed the reality could not be more different. Britons of Nigerian origin are still some of the highest achievers in the UK educational system. I won't bother providing proof for you because I doubt it will make a difference.

And I've seen firsthand the "gangsta culture" that is pervasive amongst black youth in the UK.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

I understand exactly what I am saying, because I would not have made the statement if I didn't understand it. I guess making broad statements hurts people egos?

Answer this question.

Is there a problem facing Nigerian youth in the UK? If so, what can be done about it?

Not specifically. The Nigerian youth faces same problem that other British youths face
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Gbawe: 9:20pm On Apr 22, 2012
naijababe:

Not specifically. The Nigerian youth faces same problem that other British youths face

This is precisely what I have been telling him all along. The Briton of Nigerian origin will therefore make mistakes his fellow British compatriots make because they are all subject to the same overaching societal challenges that varies from City to City and County to County.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by coogar: 9:20pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

Your reply to me I must say was quite amusing. Some of the words you have used, I have not seen since I took the SAT many years ago. Do you really believe I have ulterior motives my friend? Please give me some credit, I am not callous. Yes, I do admit that I have used comparisons, but all I am trying to say that the Nigerian communities in the US and the UK are not very different, therefore, it must be other reasons why young Nigerians in the UK are joining gangs. And I believe that lies with the societal problems found in the UK, such as class, race, education etc. Please stop ignoring the elephant in the room.

you sir are too simple-minded to cope in a brilliant discourse such as this.
sadly, you brought it up and you have littered the whole place with conjectures.
oh dear, britain is way smaller than america and crime stories get more coverage. the british media
is one of the best in the world so they tend to cover everything. i don't read about young nigerians
in nigeria joining gangs too. should i then assume it doesn't exist there?

there are gangs everywhere. the attention given to it by the respective news media is the difference here.
fuckin hell, there are more black men in jail than in college in america
and this dude is saying the blacks in the uk have more societal problems?
1 out of 3 black males in america is expected to go to jail at one point in his life.
talk about shooting one's foot.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

Answer this question.

Ok, I was gonna give you the benefit of the doubt against Gbawe's accusations, but now I see where he's coming from. Are you Ok? Why would you "making broad statements" hurt my ego? Of course you'll deny in your next post that you weren't referring to me personally. Yeah, Yeah, we all get it : You're the King of Generalization. Dude, I have no answer for you about the U.K. Like I said earlier though, Stop with the Generalizations.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 9:22pm On Apr 22, 2012
Geez, I wouldn't have posted this thread if I knew the backlash I would get from Nigerians in the UK.

The only reason I created this thread was, because I was horrified that three Nigerian youth, Obi Nwokeh, Christopher Omoregrie & Samson Odegbune were jailed for murder in the UK. That triggered my memory about how young Nigerian was killed a few years ago, because of gang violence.

That is the SOLE reason why I created this thread, because it seems like there is a problem. No need to misconstrue my words.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by coogar: 9:23pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa: Geez, I wouldn't have posted this thread if I knew the backlash I would get from Nigerians in the UK.

The only reason I created this thread was, because I was horrified that Obi Nwokeh, Christopher Omoregrie & Samson Odegbune were jailed for murder in the UK. That triggered my memory about how young Nigerian was killed a few years ago, because of gang violence.

That is the SOLE reason why I created this thread, because it seems like there is a problem. No need to misconstrue my words.

you would find the same story everywhere be it nigeria, usa, uk, russia, canada, brazil.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 9:25pm On Apr 22, 2012
coogar:

you would find the same story everywhere be it nigeria, usa, uk, russia, canada, brazil.

That is a blatant lie and you know it. Now I would ask you for proof, but I know you do not have any.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:25pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa: Geez, I wouldn't have posted this thread if I knew the backlash I would get from Nigerians in the UK.

The only reason I created this thread was, because I was horrified that Obi Nwokeh, Christopher Omoregrie & Samson Odegbune were jailed for murder in the UK. That triggered my memory about how young Nigerian was killed a few years ago, because of gang violence.

Can you at least get rid of this "I'm American, so I feel I'm mightier than thou" mentality you got going on here? You've put it in my face (and in others) that you're American and was born here bla bla bla. . . . So was I!

Dude, just stop generalizing.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:26pm On Apr 22, 2012
coogar:

End of story.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 9:27pm On Apr 22, 2012
kingoflag:
Can you at least get rid of this "I'm American, so I feel I'm mightier than thou" mentality you got going on here? You've put it in my face (and in others) that you're American and was born here bla bla bla. . . . So was I!

Dude, just stop generalizing.

Now making comparisons between two communities is a problem? I am starting to think some people suffer from a serious inferiority complex.

Now show me where is the generalization?
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:29pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

Now making comparisons between two communities is a problem? I am starting to think some people suffer from an inferiority complex.

Your silly tone is the problem. And quite frankly, you seem to be the one suffering from an acute case of inferiority complex.

Dude, I'm out. Got a date with the wifie. I'll check up on your replies later and reply accordingly.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by coogar: 9:30pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

That is a blatant lie and you know it. Now I would ask you for proof, but I know you do not have any.

where in this world you won't find nigerians committing crime?
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 22, 2012
coogar:

where in this world you won't find nigerians committing crime?

On the moon perhaps grin
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 9:32pm On Apr 22, 2012
kingoflag:

Your silly tone is the problem. And quite frankly, you seem to be the one suffering from an acute case of inferiority complex.

Dude, I'm out. Got a date with the wifie. I'll check up on your replies later and reply accordingly.

Am I the one doing the attacking? I simply asked a few questions and some of you went on the attack. No need to attack the messenger.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by room702(m): 9:34pm On Apr 22, 2012
Gbawe and others like him/her leaving comment only see things from one side and has no idea what is really going on in the UK. the UK is institutionally racist and the majority of Nigerians who migrated to the UK within the last 20yrs are affected by this. Generally speaking, the Asians are also affected by racism when it comes to getting jobs etc but they have alternatives like, their own businesses to build their community and provide for themselves and they support each other. the Africans/black (especially Nigerians) on the other hand have very little entrepreneurship skills and the worst part is we don't even support each other.

2 Likes

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by coogar: 9:38pm On Apr 22, 2012
room702: Gbawe and others like him/her leaving comment only see things from one side and has no idea what is really going on in the UK. the UK is institutionally racist and the majority of Nigerians who migrated to the UK within the last 20yrs are affected by this. Generally speaking, the Asians are also affected by racism when it comes to getting jobs etc but they have alternatives like, their own businesses to build their community and provide for themselves and they support each other. the Africans/black (especially Nigerians) on the other hand have very little entrepreneurship skills and the worst part is we don't even support each other.

and we should blame that on institutionalised racism? grin grin grin grin
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by igbo2011(m): 9:39pm On Apr 22, 2012
room702: Gbawe and others like him/her leaving comment only see things from one side and has no idea what is really going on in the UK. the UK is institutionally racist and the majority of Nigerians who migrated to the UK within the last 20yrs are affected by this. Generally speaking, the Asians are also affected by racism when it comes to getting jobs etc but they have alternatives like, their own businesses to build their community and provide for themselves and they support each other. the Africans/black (especially Nigerians) on the other hand have very little entrepreneurship skills and the worst part is we don't even support each other.
Check out my site: www.nigerianedp.com I am trying to get us to support each other in the diaspora and in the country. If millions follow these rules then we can see Nigeria prosper.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:41pm On Apr 22, 2012
The thread is not about: Nigerians in the UK Vs. Nigerians in America. The OP created the thread to understand "The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent."

Silly Nigerians, fighting over the opportunities, and lack thereof - in two countries, where they're not stake holders.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:43pm On Apr 22, 2012
@naijababe

Don't EVER compare Asian success in the UK, to BLACKS - those guys are at least 60 years ahead of blacks in the UK. I went to Uni in Birmingham, and Asians are far ahead of us in everything, except football.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 9:43pm On Apr 22, 2012
shymmex: The thread is not about: Nigerians in the UK Vs. Nigerians in America. The OP created the thread to understand "The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent."

Silly Nigerians, fighting over the opportunities, and lack thereof - in two countries, where they're not stake holders.

Thank you for bringing sanity back to this thread.

I am guilty of some of these comparisons, but you are right, we are not stakeholders in either country. But that should never be an excuse not to succeed.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by coogar: 9:44pm On Apr 22, 2012
shymmex: The thread is not about: Nigerians in the UK Vs. Nigerians in America. The OP created the thread to understand "The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent."

and how can we critically analyse the topic without looking at the roots and causes of this crime wave?
the social, economic and the political indices have to be discussed at length.
guess who's silly now?
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Katsumoto: 9:44pm On Apr 22, 2012
naijababe:

Jeez! I can't believe you are running around in circles like this! All four men who migrated to Britain after having made their fortunes in India? grin. Heck if Mike Adenuga and Aliko Dangote choose to migrate to the UK, they'll be in the list and we can claim some representation and I can tell you that your Indians are doing better than blacks argument is farcical, no?

Anyway, provide me with some proportional representation jare

This is a list of Asian folks, mostly Indians, please find a list for BLACK folks in the UK.

01 Mike Jatania and family
Worth £850m

Uganda-born Jatania and his three brothers, George, Vin and Danny, run the cosmetics giant Lornamead. The Lornamead Group is a privately owned international manufacturer and marketer of cosmetics brands.

It specialises in purchasing under-used brands and companies, re-energising management and reinvigorating the organisations.

Its portfolio includes big names such as Yardley, Lipsil, Body Mist, Sara Lee, Bristol-Myers Squibb and Henkel Schwarzkopf.

The company has its international headquarters in the UK but maintains offices in the Middle East, America and Germany, and distributes brands in more than 50 countries.

In February 2007, Lornamead established new offices in India, as it starts significantly to increase its business in this market, with a particular focus on Yardley and Finesse.

02 Lord Swraj Paul and family
Worth £750m

India-born Lord Paul, chairman of the Caparo Group, is a leading businessman and an active member of the House of Lords. [b]He came to the UK in 1966 [/b]and founded Caparo, a private diversified, UK-based group specialising principally in the manufacture and supply of steel and engineering products for industry.

03 Vijay and Bhikhu Patel
Worth £500m

The Patel brothers arrived in the UK from Kenya when Vijay was just 16. They now head up Waymade Healthcare, a wholesale pharmaceuticals business. In an attempt to build the Asian Glaxo, the brothers have created a subsidiary, Amdipharm, which aims to develop and launch new drugs.

04 Gulu Lalvani and family
Worth £450m

Karachi-born Lalvani is the founder and chairman of Binatone, one of the world's largest manufacturers of digital cordless phones. Lalvani founded Binatone in Britain in 1958 with his brother Partap, naming it after their sister, Bina.

05 Jasminder Singh and family
Worth £360m

Tanzania-born luxury hotel boss Singh is chairman and chief executive of one of the most successful hotel chains in Britain, the Edwardian Radisson Group.

06 Tom Singh
Worth £350m

Singh founded New Look in 1969. It is now the third-largest womenswear retailer in Britain behind Marks & Spencer and Next, and the second-biggest women's footwear retailer.

07 Ramesh and Pratibha Sachdev
Worth £350m

Sachdev formed Life Style Care with his wife Pratibha in 1987. He sold it 11 years later, making £25m from the family's 85pc stake. Having recently sold his second company, in nursing homes, he is now planning a third.

08 Sir Anwar Pervez and family
Worth £250m

Sir Anwar began his career in the food business in 1963, when he opened a mini supermarket in Earls Court. He has since built an empire to become the "Cash and Carry" king with Bestway, a 50-warehouse operation in Britain, which employs around 4,500 people.

09 Firoz Kassam
Worth £240m

A hotels and leisure magnate, and the former owner of Oxford United FC, Kassam is famous for his eponymous stadium, a 12,500-seater on the edge of Oxford, which includes a hotel, cinema, bowling alley, gym, and restaurants.

10 Navin and Varsha Engineer
Worth £220m

Engineer and his wife Varsha already have succession planning in place for the family's pharmaceuticals business Chemidex, with both children studying medicine.

11 Bharat and Ketan Mehta
Worth £200m

The Kenya-born Mehta brothers are proof that a low profile is not the same as low achievement. Their fortune is built on their business, Necessity Supplies, which specialises in parallel importing.

12 Abdul Alimahomed and family
Worth £150m

Birmingham-based Alimahomed recently sold his packaging company Europackaging to MidOcean Partners in a deal thought to be worth £170m-£190m, netting the family a tidy £100m windfall.

13 Nat Puri and family
Worth £130m

Said to be Nottingham's richest man, Nathu Puri has built Melton Medes Group into a business empire in packaging, paper, engineering, textiles and plastics, in Germany, China, Poland and Hungary.

14 Dinesh Dhamija
Worth £120m

After a spell at IBM, Dhamija started in business with a small stall in west London selling cheap flights to budget travellers. He founded Dabin Travel in 1980 and Flightbookers in 1983. He has headed ebookers.com since June 1999.

15 Shami Ahmed and family
Worth £115m

Ahmed started out as a market trader in Burnley and went on to found the Joe Bloggs brand, which employs more than 2,000 people. Outside fashion he invests in properties across London and companies such as Austin Reed.

16 Rajan and Sanjay Kumar
Worth £100m

The Kumars' Manchester-based business has grown from an initial investment of just £33 to an international multi-million-pound fashion distribution empire, Rajan Fashions. The company supplies chains from Zara to JC Penney.

17 Harpal Matharu and family
Worth £100m

Harpal remains one of the top 20 hoteliers in the country with his Global Grange business. He incorporated the company in 1980 and it has been resilient despite fluctuating conditions over the years. Its latest London project is a 200-bed hotel converted from a Ministry of Defence building.

18 Surinder Arora and family
Worth £95m

One of the top hoteliers in the country, Surinder opened the Arora International at Heathrow in 1999, the first hotel in Britain purpose-built for airline crew. He and his family own hotels near Heathrow and Gatwick airports and their businesses have survived well despite difficult times in the travel and property industries.

19 Rita and Rahul Sharma
Worth £95m

Rita Sharma started her own business to escape a job that bored her. She built Worldwide Journeys from a tiny Oxford Street office and is now one of the richest women in London. Her accountant husband, Rahul, quit his job to join her and the business now employs more than 100 staff.

20 Iqbal Ahmed and family
Worth £90m

After arriving in Manchester with his family in the early 1970s, Iqbal and his brothers, Kamal and Bilal, set up Iqbal Brothers to sell tropical fruit to wholesale caterers. They diversified into frozen fish and now run Seamark, best known for the Mr Prawn brand.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

Thank you for bringing sanity back to this thread. I may be guilty of this comparison as well, but you are right, we are not stakeholders in either country. But that should never be an excuse not to succeed.

That's the funniest apart of the whole back and forth on this thread. You don't need to argue about the success rate of Nigerians in America, it's already glaring that they're better off than the ones in the UK - and definitely more educated. Only insecure people won't accept that.

Back to the topic.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Sagewood: 9:50pm On Apr 22, 2012
Why are the African American and Black British families so "troubled?"
Broken families? Absentee fathers? Lost in the cultures of the "white man?"
Unable to find their "true" identities?
Unable to integrate proper African family values in the "white man's land?"
Trapped in the so-called welfare system?
The answers lie in some or above of the above.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Thread To Monitor 6-Week War To Crush Boko Haram / Buhari And Osinbajo Meet With Members Of House Of Reps(photos) / Fayose's Stomach Infrastructure Hits The Streets (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.