Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,145 members, 7,811,219 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2226) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (10446326 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2223) (2224) (2225) (2226) (2227) (2228) (2229) ... (19122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Greatihex(m): 7:14am On Oct 15, 2016
Hazard: I want No 10 role
Eden Hazard does not believe Chelsea will change their style to allow him to play in his preferred No 10 role. The Belgian started both of his country's World Cup Qualifiers in his preferred central position over the international break, scoring in their two fixtures. Antonio Conte has opted to deploy the 25-year- old on the left-hand side for Chelsea though, and Hazard indicated Belgium's set-up is more suited to his playing style. "I like to play as a No 10," Hazard told the Daily Mail . "I think I have more freedom offensively. For Belgium, we have full-backs who run hard and create a lot of space, which is good and I like to play there." Chelsea host champions Leicester City - live on Sky Sports 1 - as the Premier League returns this weekend, and despite Hazard's international success in the No 10 role, he doubts his club side would adapt in order to suit him. "I don't know if I will play there at Chelsea," Hazard added. "You need to ask the manager! I play on the left hand side and I try to do the best I can.
"It's true I like to play as a 10. Sometimes at Chelsea we don't play with system with a No 10, too. I don't think Chelsea wants to change just for me (to play) as a 10. I did well in the past as a left winger and for now, I am trying to get back to that best again."
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 10:33am On Oct 15, 2016
Defensive Saviour
For All His Talents, Kurt Zouma Isn't Chelsea's Defensive Saviour

Kurt Zouma doesn't need pressure at Chelsea; he needs games and time. Yet the days are being counted down until he reaches full fitness and waltzes back into Antonio Conte's side to change their fortunes for good.

With Zouma back in blue, no longer will the goals flow in at the wrong end; defensive errors will be extinct. When the Frenchman returns, Chelsea will be a different team altogether. With Zouma at the heart of defence, Chelsea are going to be unstoppable.

If only it were that simple for Conte and Chelsea. It isn't. The club's problems run much deeper than one promising centre-back being sidelined; the Blues' problems are deep-rooted, and the expectation that Zouma is going to change much of that is alarmingly skewed.
Zouma is just 21 years old. He has played less than 40 Premier League games for Chelsea and has two senior international caps to his name with France. The club's future he may well be; their saviour he ain't.
Yet to complete a full 38-game season in Chelsea colours, Zouma remains a raw talent. There's no doubting that his rapid rise has been a reason for Blues fans to feel positive, although there is a long way to go before he can be commanding the sort of profile that, say, John Terry has at Stamford Bridge.

Indeed, it's mention of Terry that is rather apt here. When we consider what he offered in his peak years to the club, it's that exact quality that is missing from Chelsea now that he has been injured in recent weeks. The Blues have lacked direction, a leader on the pitch to piece Conte's game plan together.

It was no coincidence we saw Chelsea suffer their two worst performances and results under Conte when Terry was missing against Liverpool and Arsenal in September.
In truth, given the performance of both sides on those occasions, Chelsea would have lost those games with or without their talisman. They were second best, beaten by teams who were better equipped and prepared. The question, however, is whether those defeats would have been so damning to their cause were Terry on duty.

Chelsea were completely out of sorts; with their backs to the wall and under pressure, heads were lost, and there was little resembling anything like organisation. For a manager with Conte's reputation and beliefs, it was painful watching him from the sidelines as his team crumbled.
Rarely has that happened with Terry in the team, especially when he was in his prime years. We saw in the manner of how Chelsea's power was eroded last term that the 35-year-old's influence is waning with it, but even still, there isn't another player like him who has such influence from front to back at Stamford Bridge.

A failure to come close to replacing that is what has held Chelsea back in this prolonged transition the club continues to endure. It certainly hasn't been an absence of young players being injured.

A big part of this struggle to replace Terry, though, has been the fact that in order to unearth a replacement for such a significant character and presence, the former England captain has to leave Chelsea. And that's been unfathomable.

Zouma's not at the same level as senior players such as John Terry
It's only by not having Terry around that a new leader is going to emerge. Stamford Bridge isn't big enough for two of them.

The hope is that Zouma will compete for such status at some point in his career, but to expect something of him on that level now is all wrong. And when we talk about him being the missing link for Conte at the back, it's that sort of presence he will have to display.

Terry's been the benchmark for Chelsea defenders ever since Roman Abramovich arrived at the club in 2003. It's players like him that are missed, even if he is 35.

Besides, we still don't know Zouma's condition after picking up a serious knee injury in early February. There was a time when a ruptured knee ligament would end a player's career, so the 21-year-old still has it all to do in his attempts to recover fully.

Even when fit and showing the potential that has fed this frenzy around his return to fitness, Zouma's effect on Chelsea was never at the level that suggests he will re-enter the fray and transform the team's fortunes.

For instance, looking at the previous campaign right up to Chelsea's last outing without Zouma—a 2-0 victory away to Hull City ahead of the international break—there's not much to work with. We can point to factors where his presence made Chelsea stronger; equally, there were weaknesses. There was nothing that makes a strong argument for his instant inclusion.

Chelsea with Kurt Zouma (since August 2015)
Played 23
Goals against 27
Clean sheets 8
Won 7
Draw 8
Lost 8
Points tally 29
Soccerbase (Premier League games only)

Conveniently, Chelsea's games pre- and post-Zouma's injury total almost the same number. Before February 2016, Zouma played 23 times in the Premier League, and with the couple of games he missed before then and the total since, the Blues have played 22 times without him.

The statistics tell a story that is too close to call when we're determining just how effective he was or will be when he is eventually back in Conte's side.
With Zouma, Chelsea conceded 27 goals in 23 games; without the Frenchman, the Blues conceded 35 in 22. So when he featured, they shipped an average of 1.17 goals per game, and without him, they conceded 1.59 on average.

Either way, for a side that went through the 2014/15 season with an average of 0.82 goals against for the entire campaign, it doesn't make for positive reading. In fact, if we wanted to be overly critical, we could suggest that the more game time Zouma had, the statistics suggest Chelsea were weaker given that he played more in 2015/16 than he did a year earlier.
Of course, we know Chelsea's problems weren't just with the defence last season. They were team-wide, which is why the average without Zouma doesn't really tell us that much, either—especially as there isn't a sudden spike.

Here's the thing: Chelsea picked up just 29 points with the Frenchman in the team last season. Without him present in matches from August 2015 through to October 2016, the Blues have 34 points from their 22 games.

So how do we read it? Do Chelsea want to concede more goals and win more points without Zouma? Or do they want a marginally tighter defence, but pick up less points in the process?
There isn't a correct answer as the debate isn't as black and white as those questions make out. There will have been plenty of factors that render those statistics pertinent by opinion only. We can point to Diego Costa's form being better since Zouma's injury, which has won Chelsea more points; equally, a spate of defensive injuries last season made them weaker at the back, hence more goals being conceded.

The point in it all is that with or without Zouma, Chelsea have endured big problems. It hasn't been about Gary Cahill or Branislav Ivanovic; we've watched a team take a serious nose dive through factors outside of their control.

Looking to Zouma as the answer to Conte suddenly finding a formula to cure the Blues of their ills is folly in the extreme. All it serves is to put more pressure on a player who doesn't need it.
Zouma needs to play games, regain his form and confidence. Only then can we start looking to him being Chelsea's defensive rock.

Let's not kill him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2668164-for-all-his-talents-kurt-zouma-isnt-chelseas-defensive-saviour

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 10:39am On Oct 15, 2016
Ex-Roma director of sport Walter Sabatini is being called to Chelsea by Antonio Conte, according to the Corriere dello Sport.

The chain-smoking transfer guru resigned from his post at Roma last week after months of hinting he was ready to walk away.

He disagreed with Giallorossi President James Pallotta on strategy and became increasingly frustrated at having to sell top players like Erik Lamela.
Today’s edition of the Corriere dello Sport newspaper suggests Sabatini is close to taking on a new job in London with Chelsea.
Conte is said to be pushing hard for Sabatini to join him at Stamford Bridge and transform the way they do business.
Chelsea got a taste of how tough Sabatini can be this summer when trying and failing to negotiate for Radja Nainggolan.

http://app.football-italia.net/?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.football-italia.net%2F92949%2Fsabatini-set-chelsea-job#article/footballitalia-92949
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by gwng: 10:53am On Oct 15, 2016
All matches will be live here: http://www.kwallon.com/sports/live/
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 11:02am On Oct 15, 2016
The Roman Empire in deep waters.

Chelsea's owner, Roman Abrahmovic has lost 2.7 billion dollars in the last three quarters of the fiscal year due to the drop in oil prices. This has led to him listing most of his oil assets in Russia, America and the Caribbean gulf for sale.
Reports say this is to focus on his steel and aluminum businessess coupled with his other real estate ventures.
The Russian oligarch once owned the largest yatch in the world, but it is understood that he has listed the yatch for sale in the region of $400 million.

Sources say, he is also considering going into the ammunition industry, of recent the industry has risen vastly and the marginal profit in the market is mouth watering, he has approached the government in his native home to get the necessary approvements to begin the manufacture and production of arms and ammunition.

This has put question marks as to if he will indeed continue to bankroll, his beloved asset in London, Chelsea football club. Since 2003, his sub company fordstam has given interest free loan in the region of 1 billion pounds.
With her heavy hits to his pockets, One can only wonder if he will still finance the heavy projects soon to be commenced by the club.

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BossKratos: 11:22am On Oct 15, 2016
grin
donjazet:
The Roman Empire in deep waters.

Chelsea's owner, Roman Abrahmovic has lost 2.7 billion dollars in the last three quarters of the fiscal year due to the drop in oil prices. This has led to him listing most of his oil assets in Russia, America and the Caribbean gulf for sale.
Reports say this is to focus on his steel and aluminium businesses coupled with his other real estate ventures.
The Russian oligarch once owned the largest yatch in the world, but it is understood that he has listed the YATCH FOR SALE in the region of $400 million.

Sources say, he is also considering going into the AMMUNITION INDUSTRY, of recent the industry has risen vastly and the marginal profit in the market is eye watering, he has approached the government in his native home to get the necessary approvements to begin the manufacture and production of arms and ammunition.

This has put question marks as to if he will indeed continue to bankroll, his beloved asset in London, Chelsea football club. Since 2003, his sub company fordstam has given interest free loan in the region of 1 billion pounds.
With her heavy hits to his pockets, One can only wonder if he will still finance the heavy projects soon to be commenced by the club.

Chai!!!!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Chelseafan1: 11:58am On Oct 15, 2016
Lol, no shaking, Dangote will comman buy our beloved club....cheesy cheesy
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 12:03pm On Oct 15, 2016
Official Chelsea starting lineup.

1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 12:03pm On Oct 15, 2016
The teams: Chelsea v Leicester City

Pedro replaces Willian who is on compassionte leave following the passing of his mother.
That is the only change from the starting line-up for the win at Hull so John Terry makes his return from injury on the bench.
Antonio Conte looks set to continue with the three-man defence with Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso as wing-backs.
Claudio Ranieri rings the changes for Leicester. Riyad Mahrez, Islam Slimani and Danny Simpson are on the bench. Luis Hernandez, Jeff Schlupp and Ahmed Musa come in.
Both teams will wear black armbands; Chelsea for Willian and his family and Leicester as a mark of respect for the King of Thailand.

Chelsea are expected to line up in the following 3-4-3 formation:
Courtois; Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Cahill (c); Moses, Kante, Matic, Alonso; Pedro, Diego Costa, Hazard.
Subs: Begovic, Aina, Terry , Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, Solanke, Batshuayi.

Leicester: Schmeichel, Luis Hernandez, Morgan (c), Huth, Fuchs, Albrighton, Drinkwater, Amartey, Schlupp, Musa, Vardy.
Subs: Zieler, King, Simpson, Slimani, Gray, Ulloa, Mahrez.

Today's referee is Andre Marriner
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Leyqute(m): 12:13pm On Oct 15, 2016
3-4-3 ?

Okay o.

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by gwng: 12:17pm On Oct 15, 2016
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 12:22pm On Oct 15, 2016
Mahrez on the bench
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by pamcode(m): 12:24pm On Oct 15, 2016
Match Day. Let us not be put to shame, go Blues
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by pamcode(m): 12:29pm On Oct 15, 2016
Nihilist:
Mahrez on the bench
Havoc on our tired defenders? Or perhaps he isnt quite on form.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 12:29pm On Oct 15, 2016
I see Solanke on the bench too. I thought he was in Holland.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 12:31pm On Oct 15, 2016
pamcode:
Havoc on our tired defenders? Or perhaps he isnt quite on form.

I read on the BBC that Ranieri said he's rotating with UCL fixtures in mind..

That being said, Musa and Vardy dey cho steady too...
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 12:35pm On Oct 15, 2016
Matic no dey ever show for pass sha...
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 12:35pm On Oct 15, 2016
Hazard wtf?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 12:37pm On Oct 15, 2016
Costa!!!!!!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 12:37pm On Oct 15, 2016
Nice flick on from Matic there...
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by pamcode(m): 12:37pm On Oct 15, 2016
Goal. Guvnor costa.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 12:38pm On Oct 15, 2016
Diego. 7 goals
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by chrisley024(m): 12:40pm On Oct 15, 2016
This Ranieri stewped o! No Mahrez No Slimani
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 12:42pm On Oct 15, 2016
Nihilist be like 'I don't see any improvements and it doesn't look like it will happen'

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 12:42pm On Oct 15, 2016
12' Marcos Alonso from Chelsea tries to send the ball into the area but his cross is blocked by an opponent.
12' Wes Morgan relieves the pressure with a clearance
12' Eden Hazard from Chelsea directs a ball squarely in the box, but it's intercepted by an opponent player.
11' Leicester City take a throw-in in the opponent's half of the field
10' Chelsea take a throw-in in the opponent's half of the field
10' Marc Albrighton relieves the pressure with a clearance
10' Eden Hazard from Chelsea swings in the corner from the right.
10' Christian Fuchs makes a clearance resulting in a corner.
10' The home team have had 71% of possession compared to the away team's 29%
10' The game is in a period of relative inactivity, with neither side able to apply pressure.
7' Nemanja Matic provided the assist for the goal.
7' G O O O A A A L - Diego Costa scores.
7' Nemanja Matic from Chelsea makes a great pass.
7' Eden Hazard from Chelsea swings in the corner from the right.
7' Victor Moses has a deflected shot saved for a corner
6' Goal kick for Leicester City
5' Eden Hazard shoots, but his effort was never close to hitting the target.
5' The home team have had 65% of possession compared to the away team's 35%
4' Robert Huth from Leicester City clears the danger with a good tackle
4' Diego Costa from Chelsea passes the ball in the box, but it's intercepted by an opponent player.
3' Chelsea take a throw-in in the opponent's half of the field
3' Cesar Azpilicueta relieves the pressure with a clearance
3' Marc Albrighton puts in a cross
2' Leicester City take a throw-in in the opponent's half of the field
1' The pitch is in fantastic condition today and the players are enjoying the surface.
1' Jamie Vardy is penalised for pushing Cesar Azpilicueta
1' It's a nice warm day for playing football.
1' Leicester City kick-off, and the game is underway.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by pamcode(m): 12:43pm On Oct 15, 2016
Damn the wing movement from marcos is superb. His recovery and take ons gladdens my heart.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 12:45pm On Oct 15, 2016
nateevs:
Nihilist be like 'I don't see any improvements and it doesn't look like it will happen'

To be honest, I don't...

I don't know if you're watching this game on Sky, so maybe you're not listening to the same commentary as I am...but I agree with them when they say we were gifted that goal...
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 12:48pm On Oct 15, 2016
65% possession.

Damn.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 12:49pm On Oct 15, 2016
Hazard why? cry

Kante nice pass
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 12:50pm On Oct 15, 2016
Nihilist:

To be honest, I don't...

I don't know if you're watching this game on Sky, so maybe you're not listening to the same commentary as I am...but I agree with them when they say we were gifted that goal...

If Hazard had not been useless and scored this chance now you will say its player brilliance or Leicester defensive error or just being lucky
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 12:50pm On Oct 15, 2016
20' Luis Hernandez relieves the pressure with a clearance
20' Pedro Rodriguez puts in a cross
19' Kasper Schmeichel comes out and claims the ball
19' Eden Hazard shoots, but his effort was never close to hitting the target.
19' N'Golo Kante from Chelsea makes a great cross.
18' Wes Morgan relieves the pressure with a clearance
18' Victor Moses puts in a cross
17' Thibaut Courtois comes out and claims the ball
17' Marc Albrighton puts in a cross
16' David Luiz from Chelsea makes a dangerous play against Danny Drinkwater.
15' The home team have had 70% of possession compared to the away team's 30%
15' Chelsea take a throw-in in the opponent's half of the field
13' Chelsea take a throw-in in the opponent's half of the field
13' Wes Morgan relieves the pressure with a clearance
13' Pedro Rodriguez from Chelsea swings in the corner from the right.
13' Marc Albrighton makes a clearance resulting in a corner.
13' Marcos Alonso puts in a cross
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 12:51pm On Oct 15, 2016
Chelsea's play is so perfect right now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2223) (2224) (2225) (2226) (2227) (2228) (2229) ... (19122) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: andrewbaba44 and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.