Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. (4473 Views)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / Why You Should Be Careful In Choosing Your Next Of Kin (Photos) / Rude Awakening: I Am Not My Husband's Next Of Kin And Beneficiary!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Moses247(m): 8:01pm On Apr 21, 2012
Pls..help me o..my problem is this...WHEN MY DADDY WAS ALIVE HE PUT HIS YOUNGER BRO..AS NEXT OF KIN....NOW HE IS LATE..( A week ago).... Is younger Brother who is d next of kin...want the documents to be in his care. when my fada is still in d mortuary o can u imagine dat?.......BUT WE NO GREE.....BECAUSE D MAN IS 2STINGY...SO ME AND my 2elder sisters hide d document... PLS i want to know if its possible to change my uncle as d next of kin..to My name WIT D HELP OF A LAWYER? now dat my fada is late...becos am d only son......my late fada is a retired D.s.p of police....and my uncle is so desperate to have d penson document...pls...help o....ur comment will go along way tanks
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by brainchild78(m): 8:19pm On Apr 21, 2012
your next of kin is who ever you elect to be responsible for your well being in the event of any unforseeable emergency. Hence, you are free to change your next of as and when you choooe/elect to.
Cheers
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by ifyalways(f): 8:37pm On Apr 21, 2012
OP,just asking,were ur mom and late dad not legally married or living together prior his death?

Back to your question,did your father leave a will?If he did,it would be a good idea to see what it saya;who gets/inherits what.Again,which kind of NOK did your late dad make his brother? Medical or financial?If its medical,then its easy to contest or challenge it on the grounds that your dad was incapacitated when he made that decision.

I'm not sure you can totally Change NOK.
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Moses247(m): 9:12pm On Apr 21, 2012
@ify no my fada did not write a will o...just next of kin....for example when u open account u must have a next of kin.....dats wat i mean......pls i want to know if i can change it d help of a lawyer...becos i dnt trust my uncle...imagine my fada is still in d mortuary..and all he cares is to keep d document in is care...but Thank God We Hide All D document..now is frustrated....he keep calling my elder sister's line....everyday becos of penson document....so u see why i dnt want my fada benefit to be under his Care...am a jambite..o...if those benefit is been paid to a stingy man like him...hahaha my school don get k leg o....pls advise me o..i jst want 2protect my fada property...dats all...
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by ifyalways(f): 9:28pm On Apr 21, 2012
^So in essence,he used his brother as financial NOK and made no will ?

I don't know the 'right/wrong/legal' thing to say again except:
You and your sis. should handle this with wisdom.Keep the documents safely out of anyones reach,relate to ur uncle and other extended family members amicably.
Look for a very honest family lawyer and seek his counsel.
I don't know if there are lawyers @ Office of the public defender,lagos that might give u free legal counsel.

Btw,where is your mom?
Goodluck.
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Apr 21, 2012
depending on where you live, there is ABSOLUTELY no way you can change the next of kin, now that your father has passed away, NONE!!!! unless you can prove that he wasnt in his right mind when he signed that document.

your father should have changed the papers before his death, if he really wanted to......and if he didnt, you uncle can claim that his brother really didnt want your mother, you, or any of your siblings, to be in charge of his affairs.
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Moses247(m): 10:19pm On Apr 21, 2012
Thanks to u all....well my mother has divorce my Father....since wen i was 8yrs... my step mum has a daughter...which is d first daughter of d family..while my sister is d second daughter and am I 3RD..and d only SON.....so u see?? I cant fold my hands..and watch one greed uncle...take over my fada's benefit.....for d fact..dat he is my uncle...doesnt giv him any LEGAL RITE..to be in position of fada's benefit.....if we d children cant have access to d benefit...i swear..nobody will...becos i will personal burn all d document..then to be giving p.nut ....no hard feelings.....
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Nobody: 10:29pm On Apr 21, 2012
^^^bro, it is sad that you rather burn these papers instead of letting your uncle do what YOUR FATHER believed he could do. on the memory of your father, you should let your uncle have all the papers and let him decide on how to handle your late fathers affairs.

that your uncle is in charge, does NOT means that you will not get what is rightfully yours, HAVE FAITH!
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Moses247(m): 10:38pm On Apr 21, 2012
Hahaha Mrbrown U dont know My Uncle....I KNOW WAT AM SAYING....By d time he collect those benefit....him go begin Nak Story Say ur fada own so so debt..we don pay am...blab blab blab...notin for we d children....ALL THEIR EYES NA DAT BENEFIT O....Thank God We hide d document..sef.......anyway i must meet a lawyer for more info...am sure it can CHANGE.O...BECOS NO BE WILL.....IF NA WILL NA THEIR WHALA DEY
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Nobody: 10:45pm On Apr 21, 2012
lol, funny how you talk about how everybody's eyes being on the benefit, while forgetting that YOURS also are on these benefits. look at what you wrote.

your father had many heirs from different wives, and by the way you THINK right now, i certainly understand why he may not have wanted YOU to be in charge of his affairs.
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Moses247(m): 10:48pm On Apr 21, 2012
Hahaha Mr brown u got it all Wrong o...LOL
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Nobody: 10:55pm On Apr 21, 2012
^^ dont get me wrong bro, i am only looking at the evidence: you want to go against you late father's wishes, simply because you do not like his choice. not only is that VERY disrespectful, it is also very sad. at least, let your uncle do wrong before you can judge him like that. your uncle is in charge and therefore he needs all the papers, how hard is that to understand? why wait next week to do something that can be done TODAY?
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Moses247(m): 10:59pm On Apr 21, 2012
Dnt get it twisted ok ...am d önly son so i must cofirm everything.....my sister 2 sisters one is married d second one will graduate dis year...4rm N.c.E..While me na jambite...o hoping to gain admission dis year by God Grace.. u dnt expect me to fold my hands and watch......if i quiet and my uncle embezze d money... U go pay my bills@brown...am not dat desperate o but my uncle is so desperate simply becos he is d next of kin....na my fada benefit o..i must do am till d END...

1 Like

Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Nobody: 11:16pm On Apr 21, 2012
so no we are getting somewhere, lol!
so na paid bills (aka money) you want out of all this.....and yet you are here claiming that "others" are greedy. no wonder you were the only son, yet overlooked as the NEXT OF KIN. i hope you will be able to live with yourself.

i only hope that you would FOLLOW YOUR FATHER'S WISHES, nothing more.
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Moses247(m): 11:21pm On Apr 21, 2012
Wateva....ALL I KNOW IS DAT..WE D CHILDREN..MUST TAKE WAT RIGHTLY BELONGS TO US..!!!....@brown...lol....pls anyone wit USEFUL INFO?!
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Nobody: 11:36pm On Apr 21, 2012
^^ you must take what you "believe" is rightfully yours BY FORCE, even if your father had other plans for his affairs?! funny how you never even mentioned you and your half sister's mothers, lol!

you are currently in a LOSE LOSE situation, and would probably gain nothing, thanks to your greedy nature.
all the best of luck!
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Moses247(m): 11:48pm On Apr 21, 2012
Mr Brown do me a favour?!...start frm d top read my comment b4..u pass any judgement here....anyway is none of ur business. I wnt blame u....and secondly u nor Be GOD.. SO U DNT KNW MY FATE..OK. Shikena
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Nobody: 11:58pm On Apr 21, 2012
Moses247: Mr Brown do me a favour?!...start frm d top read my comment b4..u pass any judgement here....anyway is none of ur business. I wnt blame u....and secondly u nor Be GOD.. SO U DNT KNW MY FATE..OK. Shikena

when your bring your matter to a public forum, then you make it everyone's business, and therefore everyone has the right to give you their perspective on the issue at hand. i am sorry if you dont like what i said and would have preferred that i tell you that what you did is right OR that you shouldnt do what YOUR FATHER WISHED.

as for what you wrote, it is as clear as day:
GREED is the main issue here as money is the only problem.
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Moses247(m): 4:00am On Apr 22, 2012
@brown ..u are Ignored...!!
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Moses247(m): 4:04am On Apr 22, 2012
Anyone wit use Information......??...ify were have u been??
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Moses247(m): 4:17am On Apr 22, 2012
!

Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Busybody2(f): 10:14pm On Apr 22, 2012
Moses247: Pls..help me o..my problem is this...WHEN MY DADDY WAS ALIVE HE PUT HIS YOUNGER BRO..AS NEXT OF KIN....NOW HE IS LATE..( A week ago).... Is younger Brother who is d next of kin...want the documents to be in his care. when my fada is still in d mortuary o can u imagine dat?.......BUT WE NO GREE.....BECAUSE D MAN IS 2STINGY...SO ME AND my 2elder sisters hide d document... PLS i want to know if its possible to change my uncle as d next of kin..to My name WIT D HELP OF A LAWYER? now dat my fada is late...becos am d only son......my late fada is a retired D.s.p of police....and my uncle is so desperate to have d penson document...pls...help o....ur comment will go along way tanks

RIP to your Dad.

Your Dad died interstate, but you, your Mums and your Sisters are still the compulsory beneficiaries, regardless of who the next of kin is. Your Uncle is not entitled to a penny, he is just playing the role of the executor.

By the term "jambite", i believe you are still a minor aged 15/16/17 or thereabout, so it is your older relatives who should be doing the running around, so you are better off getting in touch with International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) to take on the case on behalf of your widowed Mothers. They could take out an injunction to stop the next of kin from disposing your Dad's properties behind your back and stop him cashing in on any death benefit.
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by moremi2008(m): 10:33pm On Apr 22, 2012
This post is probably more appropriate in the law section (if there is one). Please keep the documents hidden until you have had the chance to consult a lawyer! Your wicked uncle should have absolutely no rights to your father's estate. Good luck!
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Moses247(m): 10:55pm On Apr 22, 2012
Thanks to u all.. @ Moremi and Bussy Body...thanks for ur understanding Bro...am 22yrs nw lol
Re: Can Next Of Kin Be Changed!!!?.. by Kewtt: 5:51am On Jul 03, 2023
Moses247:
Thanks to u all.. @ Moremi and Bussy Body...thanks for ur understanding Bro...am 22yrs nw lol
How did it go?

(1) (Reply)

A Girl I Met Today At The Hotel / Before You Hire That Maid! / At Last, A Woman Accepts Responsibility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.