Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,668 members, 7,865,696 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 11:44 PM

Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? (13257 Views)

Which Ethnic Do You Love Among The Ethnics Group Of Nigeria? / Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone / Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by Nuzo1(m): 8:02am On Apr 12, 2013
Be it Hausa, Yoruba or Igbo, chances are that over 97 percent of the people who have and will comment on this thread are either slaves to these wayo corperations or just unemployed.

Yet they are here blabbing about how their tribesmen own Morgan Stanley.
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by biafranqueen: 10:57pm On Apr 12, 2013
800 million dollars according to Forbrs the Nollywood business is $$$$$
kettykings: controlling Nigeria's economy simply put is exercising domineering influence over a large part of the economy .
Make no mistakes no group has a 100% control on Nigeria's Generator Economy what some groups do is to exert influence over certain areas of the economy.

based on this the Niger deltans can be said to exert a larger influence over the whole economy of Nigeria
while other groups like igbos , yorubas , hausa/fulani exert some minimal influence.

The Niger Deltans own and control 3 of Nigeria's biggest banks and media houses and some telcos like Etisalat and Visafone
The yorubas own 1 of Nigeria's biggest bank and some smaller media houses and in partnership with the north own Glo
The Igbos own 2 large sized banks and a media house while owning considerable shares in MTN , swift and control Nigeria movie empire worth Billions of Naira

1 Like

Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by macjive01: 12:39am On Apr 13, 2013
Igbos own Houston, South Africa, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Europe except England. .... na joke i dey joke ooh before ikenna ban me yet again
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by macjive01: 12:41am On Apr 13, 2013
kettykings: controlling Nigeria's economy simply put is exercising domineering influence over a large part of the economy .
Make no mistakes no group has a 100% control on Nigeria's Generator Economy what some groups do is to exert influence over certain areas of the economy.

based on this the Niger deltans can be said to exert a larger influence over the whole economy of Nigeria
while other groups like igbos , yorubas , hausa/fulani exert some minimal influence.

The Niger Deltans own and control 3 of Nigeria's biggest banks and media houses and some telcos like Etisalat and Visafone
The yorubas own 1 of Nigeria's biggest bank and some smaller media houses and in partnership with the north own Glo
The Igbos own 2 large sized banks and a media house while owning considerable shares in MTN , swift and control Nigeria movie empire worth Billions of Naira

Please what Banks are owned by Niger deltas ? Zenith and UBA ? anyway , u are right , Niger-deltans but Igbos.

The question was what tribe, niger-delta is no tribe

2 Likes

Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by macjive01: 12:42am On Apr 13, 2013
Hausas own majority of the oil blocks though, and NNPC

1 Like

Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 2:43am On Apr 13, 2013
And u would turn the stores to what? To sell pure water?
musiwa23: if we leave nigeria.. fidelity bank..etc and others will become our own.. Goodluck think he is smart.. ASCON he think he is stealing yoruba people money.. 5 trillion.. using chike obi.. I will see how he would move the asset.

all of the igbo stores. we would take over ...
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by Dawdy(m): 7:56am On Apr 13, 2013
Ijaw
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by badassnigga(m): 5:31pm On Apr 13, 2013
rubbish
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by kettykin: 12:43am On Aug 16, 2015
UncleJJ:

All fingers are not equal - the bigger they are the harder they fall. grin

Yoruba - economy (banking, finance, IT)
Igbo - commerce and trade
hausa - politics

This grouping don't hold any more
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by MrEverest(m): 4:02pm On Sep 05, 2015
macjive01:

Please what Banks are owned by Niger deltas ? Zenith and UBA ? anyway , u are right , Niger-deltans but Igbos.

The question was what tribe, niger-delta is no tribe
He actually missed the point, the Niger delta is not homogenous rather its a conglomeration of different tribes. Zenith bank is owned by Jim Ovia(Igbo from Delta) and UBA is owned by Tony Elumelu(also Igbo from delta) Thisday media house is also owned by another Igbo from Delta(Nduka Irabor) other Igbos from Delta include Ernest Azudialu owner of Nestoil petroleum company and others i cant remember now.
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 05, 2015
Such a stoopid question. How can a particular tribe control the economy of a sovereign state? Is the economy remote controlled? As far as I am concerned, the economy is controlled by the economic policy of the Government.
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by MrEverest(m): 4:16pm On Sep 05, 2015
UncleJJ:

All fingers are not equal - the bigger they are the harder they fall. grin

Yoruba - economy (banking, finance, IT)
Igbo - commerce and trade
hausa - politics
The Hausas control politics, I agree with that but the Yorubas in my opinion do not control either banking, finance nor It, I will give you reasons.
The Yorubas own and dominate First bank, Gtbank, FCMB and wema bank(more or less a regional bank) while Igbos own and dominate Zenith bank, Diamond bank, Fidelity bank and UBA.
While on IT, its kinda 50/50 between them.
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 05, 2015
tomakint:
Personally, I will tell you that two major tribes control and run things as far as the economy is concerned! The Yorubas hold sway in the Oil and Gas sector (which remains the driving force behind our economy), banking and finance, food and beverages and telecommunication while the Hausa-Fulanis command the army, immigration,civil service,oil & gas (with the Yorubas),customs and most government parastatals and agencies! These two major tribes in my own candid opinion are indeed in charge!

How does a waste control telecommunications
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by tomakint: 6:05pm On Sep 05, 2015
chuna1985:

How does a waste control telecommunications
For the mere fact that Mike Adenuga (a Yoruba man) controls a major service provider (Globacom) in this Country then you will understand where I am coming from.
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by Adekagood: 6:37pm On Sep 05, 2015
which tribe do you expect if not the Hausas........ Gabashi

1 Like

Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Sep 05, 2015
tomakint:

For the mere fact that Mike Adenuga (a Yoruba man) controls a major service provider (Globacom) in this Country then you will understand where I am coming from.

That does not mean Yoruba controls the telecommunication sector.
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 06, 2015
Yoruba.
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by QuotaSystem: 9:25am On Sep 06, 2015
It's the Hausa/Fulani (and Yoruba)

They control politics, politics and government policies dictate the economy to a very significant extent.

That is why everyone is blaming PMB for the economy, especially as ministers have not been appointed.

Furthermore they control the institutions of governance, the military, aviation, civil service, oil and gas, cement, agriculture etc.
Re: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? by TheWayToZion: 2:00pm On May 14, 2016

(1) (2) (Reply)

Private Jets Used To Smuggle Cash, Fugitives – FG / Dasukigate Funds Traced To Abati, Okupe, Fadile, And Gula / Full Text Of Buhari's Speech After He Received APC Nomination Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.