Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori (9045 Views)

London Judge Adjourns Ibori’s Case To June 6, 2016 / Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? / Ibori: Jonathan, Oghara Elders In Secret Talks About Ibori Case - News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by andyanders: 1:27pm On Apr 23, 2012
That man, justice Awokulehin, is a contradiction to human history. He is a disgrace to his family, the legal system and himself.

Compound old useless and undiluted fool
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by ITbomb(m): 1:29pm On Apr 23, 2012
kulutempa:

IT Bomb thanks for your question. I really have to say that your question has made it even clearer that the Judge was compromised. An inference is defined as a rule of logic applied to evidence in a trial. It is the same as saying that there is no smoke without fire. Basically it means a fact which is proved by presenting other facts, which then leads to only one reasonable conclusion. For example if A is in charge of a bank account, and makes a payment into B's bank account and the same payment is then made to C's bank account there is an inference that the payment must have originated from A's bank account and he cannot therefore deny that he was the source of the payment to C because he did not pay him directly. Where the Judge put his foot into his mouth is that establishing a prima facie case against a Defendant is more often than not all about drawing inferences on the available evidence which lead to the conclusion that the Defendant has a case to answer. It is after such inferences are drawn and a prima facie case established that the case then goes to trial and the issue of proving the case beyond reasonable doubt arises. As far as I am aware, there is no need to prove a case beyond reasonable doubt at the prima facie stage. The judge should go back to Law School.
Make some sense , is this the basis of throwing out charges for lack of merit,
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by muyoto: 1:40pm On Apr 23, 2012
kulutempa:

IT Bomb thanks for your question. I really have to say that your question has made it even clearer that the Judge was compromised. An inference is defined as a rule of logic applied to evidence in a trial. It is the same as saying that there is no smoke without fire. Basically it means a fact which is proved by presenting other facts, which then leads to only one reasonable conclusion. For example if A is in charge of a bank account, and makes a payment into B's bank account and the same payment is then made to C's bank account there is an inference that the payment must have originated from A's bank account and he cannot therefore deny that he was the source of the payment to C because he did not pay him directly. Where the Judge put his foot into his mouth is that establishing a prima facie case against a Defendant is more often than not all about drawing inferences on the available evidence which lead to the conclusion that the Defendant has a case to answer. It is after such inferences are drawn and a prima facie case established that the case then goes to trial and the issue of proving the case beyond reasonable doubt arises. As far as I am aware, there is no need to prove a case beyond reasonable doubt at the prima facie stage. The judge should go back to Law School.

Nice expose. But you lost me the last ( bolded part). whose duty is to establish a prima facie case, the judge or the prosecution?
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by Nobody: 1:43pm On Apr 23, 2012
He disgraces the Nigerian judicial system. He's a stinky stigma indeed!
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by adook1: 1:50pm On Apr 23, 2012
This man deserve to be shot death,our time against corruption will come.imagine him still a judge in a political suit.condemning british judiciary
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by krisleonard: 1:58pm On Apr 23, 2012
You should have done change of name by now.To say you are stiil allowed to preside over cases? course it can only happen in a lawless country like Nig.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by Nobody: 2:01pm On Apr 23, 2012
YOUR CONSCIENCE IS NOT CLEAR AND YOU WILL PERISH
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by tchaik(m): 2:01pm On Apr 23, 2012
kulutempa:
The judge should go back to Law School.
Come'on man, do you think he doesn't know the law?
I read the ruling and arrived at the same conclusion above, but chillax, it is not about law; it is about CORRUPTION.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by juman(m): 2:03pm On Apr 23, 2012
The judge is a disgrace to the judiciary and the nation.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by kulutempa: 2:04pm On Apr 23, 2012
ITbomb:
Make some sense , is this the basis of throwing out charges for lack of merit,

No, not at all. On that basis the charges should not have been thrown out at all by Justice Awokulehin, because the Prosecution did not have to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt, and could rely on inferences, such as unusual financial transactions involving transfers from the Delta state bank account to Ibori's account and those of his associates such as his mistress, Udoamaka into whose bank account over N190 million was paid. The Judge said that the payments were not evidence of moneylaundering because she is a contractor for Delta State who had executed many 'contracts' for the State. Strangely enough the Judge did not consider that Ibori's mistress who is the second Defendant in the case, has a case to answer as to exactly what those contracts were for!
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by aljharem(m): 2:09pm On Apr 23, 2012
[size=14pt]Justice Idowu, you did what you had to do. You would forever be vindicated. When someone a justice in Lagos named a murderer guilt, Asari and co called him a tribalist.

If you had convicted Ibori, Ideiots like Beaf and his Igbo cohorts would call you a tribalist that arrested Ibori but could not arrest Tinubu etc.

It is better to play safe and allow the world to see their stu,pidity.[/size] God bless you sir
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by aljharem(m): 2:10pm On Apr 23, 2012
juman: The judge is a disgrace to the judiciary.

How ?
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by kulutempa: 2:20pm On Apr 23, 2012
muyoto:

Nice expose. But you lost me the last ( bolded part). whose duty is to establish a prima facie case, the judge or the prosecution?

The Prosecution. Once their submissions are accepted by the Judge, the case then goes to a full trial.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by NAJALYN: 2:36pm On Apr 23, 2012
He has a clear conscience because he sees everything wrong with convicting a criminal like Ibori. Besides he must have received very handsome reward from Ibori; it is the order of the day in Nigeria. He will convict petty criminals and discharge and acquit dangerous criminals who cannot play ball. What a pathetic situation.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by kinguwem: 3:09pm On Apr 23, 2012
The judge lacks shame. In developed nations he should have apologized to the people and retired voluntarily. He sold his conscience for money. He should pray because the loot may cause confusion in his family when he is no more. The time to repent is now, old folk.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by BlackBaron: 3:21pm On Apr 23, 2012
Our nation's judiciary is a disgrace. It is one whose allegiances belongs to the highest bidder.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by AJpikin: 3:33pm On Apr 23, 2012
Person wey no sabi spell conscience de talk of owning one dis judge na fool! make I no see ur pikin for AJ o!
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by Koolking(m): 3:34pm On Apr 23, 2012
succinctly, the judge committed faux pas. he compromised his integrity. of course it's only a fool that would have thought the judge would admit he erred. Last I checked inference was still not sentiment but reasoning in drawing a conclusion or making a logical judgment on the basis of circumstantial evidence and prior conclusions rather than on the basis of direct observation. As a layman in legal matters I thought inferences were basis for which judgement are delivered? If it is unarguably base on authenticating an allegations then criminals will alwaz go scot free. Either we reform our legal system or we start importing judges from abroad to save us
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by Beaf: 3:48pm On Apr 23, 2012
The most unfortunate aspect of the matter is that the man has shown without doubt that it wasn't even the prosecution that arranged to bungle the case; rather it was he himself.
It is really terrible! Delta state citizens and elders wrote enough petitions and expended monstrous amounts of energy to get Ibori before a judge, yet just one man overturned justice for millions.

There must be some sort of punishment or severe sanction for disgraceful connivers in crime like Awokulehin.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by manny4life(m): 3:55pm On Apr 23, 2012
The judge is a a legal failure, I don't blame him, if it were in the U.S., he would have received pressure to step down, as well as, appear before the Senate Judiciary Committee and explain his decision and opinion. Justice Dept would have been swarming all around him with ethics investigation and indictment, FBI would have launched undercover ops to see if he was compromised.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by mbulela: 4:04pm On Apr 23, 2012
Assuming the silly judge had a conscience in the first place.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by AndroBlaze: 4:23pm On Apr 23, 2012
May the good Lord judge him and may we see a glimpse of his judgement on earth, silly old man.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by yommy2sure(m): 5:26pm On Apr 23, 2012
wonders! What exactly does 'beyond reasonable doubt' mean? Myt be a layman in law but seriously if it is the inference thing that will give us true justice in Nigeria, then we shld adopt it. No wonder our leaders can boldly steal and walk free on the street.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by kay9(m): 6:28pm On Apr 23, 2012
It is really saddening reading things like this about naija; a judge frees a man, and weeks later another judge finds same man guilty of SAME CRIME, and the ''compromised'' judge boldly comes out to say his conscience ''is clear''. I mean, its not even his concern whether or not the convicting court had more evidence (than he did) to convict the man. As far as he's concerned, the guilty fella was ''innocent'', and thats that! Shame. sad
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 23, 2012
I actually don't think the judge should be blamed. The EFCC people should be blamed because they were not able to handle the case properly. No way the judge would have set him free if there was substantial evidence against him.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by Nobody: 7:28pm On Apr 23, 2012
I will reiterate:

Nigeria's problems is the Old generation of citizens. A majority of them are just very corrupt and are bigots angry How can a matured/sensible man use these statements as an argument He should be probed!
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by Nobody: 7:30pm On Apr 23, 2012
nwanna89: I actually don't think the judge should be blamed. The EFCC people should be blamed because they were not able to handle the case properly. No way the judge would have set him free if there was substantial evidence against him.

What evidence did the court in England use undecided what do you mean by EFCC's fault? na juju Oyibo use catch Ibori? Mtcheew angry
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by busybee24: 9:10pm On Apr 23, 2012
kulutempa:

I couldnt have said it better.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 23, 2012
ekwah:

What evidence did the court in England use undecided what do you mean by EFCC's fault? na juju Oyibo use catch Ibori? Mtcheew angry

There was always evidence. But the EFCC was bribed as usual, and they didn't produce this evidence. They only brought him to the court to fulfill all righteousness. However, in England they had the evidence of the houses, cars, and other things he bought in the UK using Delta State money.
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by tchaik(m): 10:32pm On Apr 23, 2012
alj harem: [size=14pt]Justice Idowu, you did what you had to do. You would forever be vindicated. When someone a justice in Lagos named a murderer guilt, Asari and co called him a tribalist.

If you had convicted Ibori, Ideiots like Beaf and his Igbo cohorts would call you a tribalist that arrested Ibori but could not arrest Tinubu etc.

It is better to play safe and allow the world to see their stu,pidity.[/size] God bless you sir

Are you okay? You need psychiatric help, Ewu hausa.
(Ur BB no get spell check? Abi u just enrolled in the Al-majiri ultra-modern school of Boko-Harram Trainees)
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by mannyU: 11:29pm On Apr 23, 2012
quote author=9jadelta]

haaa 5 is too much.. Just 3 and d nation will be on fire.. Buh 5 the nation will sink[/quote]

But Nigeria is survivin wiv 00s of his kind nt only in d judiciary but also in d executive n d legislature.
We really do nid divine help.

As 4 d judge, a lot has bin said already.hope he reads n bows his bald head in shame.
#dnt knw if he has bald head o bt I guess he does.they usually do#
Re: Ibori’s Case: My Conscience Is Clear —justice Awokulehin, Who Cleared Ibori by NAJALYN: 7:35pm On Apr 24, 2012
What is Justice Awokulehin supposed to say, that his conscience is not clear? If he has any conscience, which I doubt, he will carry the shame he has brought on our nation's judicial system on his conscience. I will be surprised if he has not been relieved of his duty.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sit-at-home Order: Igbo Lawyers Task South-east Govs / A Plea To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Company- Natasha Akpoti / How Dino Melaye Misled The Senate On TSA, Remita

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.