Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,884 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? (17589 Views)

Simple Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe / Mallam Sales Vulture In Place Of Roasted Chicken / Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by cold(m): 9:20am On Apr 24, 2012
Nigerian abattoirs are cesspit of diseases- Vet doctors

The Nigerian Veterinary Medical Association (NVMA) has warned that nation is on the verge of a disease outbreak if the deplorable state of operations in the abattoirs and slaughter slabs are not improved.

In a statement signed by the national president of NVMA,c Dr Gani Enahoro, the association said “all the illegal abattoirs including those in a poor state, should be shut down immediately” to ensure a sound public health.

The Nigerian Police force was also urged by the association to provide adequate security for professionals working in all abattoirs and slaughter slabs.

The association also urged the various state governments to embrace the responsibility of sanitizing the abattoir operations in their states to ensure a sound public health for consumers of unwholesome meat from the abattoirs.

The statement further disclosed that a member of the vet doctors association, Dr James Etukudo was attacked in Akwa Ibom while attempting to canvass good hygiene and prevent butchers who sell meat from dead animals.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/04/21/nigerian-abattoirs-are-cesspit-of-diseases-vet-doctors/
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by islamrules(m): 9:23am On Apr 24, 2012
Useless NLs. Where is Job? Ur politicians are busy squandering trillions of nairas. U are here critisizing an innocent poor guy struggling to feed his mouth.

Nigeria will only develop when u eradicate poverty. I dont know how you want to develop Nigeria with 80% poor populace. May be the elite/rich should organize a "KKK" and mass murder these poor people so we can say Nigeria is developed.

Pissed off

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Image123(m): 9:33am On Apr 24, 2012
Is there no lawyer with a conscience to sue this guy?
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by semid4lyfe(m): 9:42am On Apr 24, 2012
Much ado about nothing IMO. . .

Granted it ain't hygienic and all but punching your computer keyboard in anger and shouting yourself hoarse on the web won't change nada

Nairalanders can sabi form. . . .moving on jare
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by bizybrain(m): 9:47am On Apr 24, 2012
I don't get the essence of this thread. Hw does slaughtering animals publicly have to do with mentality or development. Hw does it make us savages hw does it make us bad all around d world people eat meat its all about packaging. So public or private its a thing of the mind.

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by merengue: 10:02am On Apr 24, 2012
While I disagree with Beaf on a lot of issues, he is absolutely on point with his arguments. These displays apart from being a disgrace are unhealthy and an environmental hazard. Poverty is not an excuse for stupidity, there are other ways of going about it.

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by beafroast: 10:20am On Apr 24, 2012
grin @BEAF,
I dey roast BEAF!!
You go buy?!
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by kwajahafiz(m): 12:05pm On Apr 24, 2012
Poster u have sadly chosen the wrong fight for Nigeria. We as a country are not there yet.
Besides,if you have ever been to a southern open cook off or ho down in the south of
The united states you will see something simillar or worse.
Ghana and the rest of the world has street food as street food must be displayed for
The purpose of enticing the senses.
Not a damn thing wrong with street food bro.
Now the inhumanness in killing those Nama , that's another issue, but Nigeria is not there yet.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by antartica(m): 12:52pm On Apr 24, 2012
Sometimes i wonder why there are no chronic asthma epidemics in nigeria,with all the dust people eat and breathe in day in day out.

For real,human bodies adapt to environmental condition.The cleaner one is,the more susceptible one is to diseases when one finds him/herself in an unusual environment like nigeria.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by skirmish: 1:08pm On Apr 24, 2012
Imanuelle: Is dis op not a nigerian??
Dis is very normal...
WTH do nairalanders pretend a lot
I don't c anytin dats a big deal here jare

Seriously? You have gone through all the pictures and have not seen "a big deal" about them? sad sad sad sad sad

Oh, what we see as normal!
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Beaf: 1:13pm On Apr 24, 2012
merengue: While I disagree with Beaf on a lot of issues, he is absolutely on point with his arguments. These displays apart from being a disgrace are unhealthy and an environmental hazard. Poverty is not an excuse for stupidity, there are other ways of going about it.
Thank you jare!

People are only confirming the exact thing I'm talking about when I say our society is ill and bestial. Some of those commenting here about poverty will be very quick to slap a poor man for scratching their car and ask "do you know who I am?"; that is just the same rampant mental health issue manifesting on another level; this time by those who are better of.
How can humans see no wrong in existing like animals?

I will repeat it and continue to do so, that nothing good can ever come out of bestial society. It takes entire society to make a transformation; I have been to many much poorer countries than Nigeria and they do not live like us, so what is this daft excuse about povery? Does poverty mean society should lack dignity? Unfortunately, from what I see, many are just happy to continue with the bestial way things are.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Beaf: 1:19pm On Apr 24, 2012
kwajahafiz: Poster u have sadly chosen the wrong fight for Nigeria. We as a country are not there yet.
Besides,if you have ever been to a southern open cook off or ho down in the south of
The united states you will see something simillar or worse.
Ghana and the rest of the world has street food as street food must be displayed for
The purpose of enticing the senses.
Not a damn thing wrong with street food bro.
Now the inhumanness in killing those Nama , that's another issue, but Nigeria is not there yet.
So how is it that Nigeria is not there yet, but Benin Republic is? This is the reason I am asking why we are the way we are.
You've talked about open air cooking in Ghana; have you seen how they wash their pots to the point that they gleam so much you can almost see your reflection in some? Contrast that with our own roadside cooking, with the woman mopping sweat off her brow with a dirty wrapper and the pots looking like they were salvaged from the biblical pits of burning brimstone and sulphur. There is a lot wrong with our society.

Why can't we even wash our pots, while those just across the border always gleam? These things are mostly washed with a mixture of sand and soap. It is a thing of the mind.

Other societies developed through mental discipline. When I see the way things are done on every level in Nigeria, it makes me shudder and wonder how such minds can ever grasp and articulate the tough steps towards developing.

Where are we going?
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by armyofone(m): 2:36pm On Apr 24, 2012
my problem is the one roasting meat with buring tyre shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

what? tyre for roasting meat? Holy Pharaoh shocked shocked king of Egypt shocked
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by occam(m): 2:56pm On Apr 24, 2012
Beaf:
Exactly! Carcinogens spiced and flavoured with e koli and typhus from faecal remains clinging to hands unwashed after a bend down over the nearest secluded drain.

A Nigerian med professional asserted that people have developed immunity against germs, so this practice is not a big deal as I claimed. I simply smiled and walked away; wasn't in the mood to argue. Lack of right information underscores the serious health challenge in Nigeria

Let me say it: A lot of Nigerians are dying as result of poor hygienic practices like cooking red meat over open sewers, not washing your hands after using the washroom etc. The average life expectancy is under 52. Juju, voodoo or curses are not the causes of deaths.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 24, 2012
So much ado about chickens. @op, direct ur complains towards the govt. Let them provide these pple with the enabling environment, then any1 who doesn't abide by the set standards get punished.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Apr 24, 2012
occam: A Nigerian med professional asserted that people have developed immunity against germs, so this practice is not a big deal as I claimed. I simply smiled and walked away; wasn't in the mood to argue. Lack of right information underscores the serious health challenge in Nigeria

Let me say it: A lot of Nigerians are dying as result of poor hygienic practices like cooking red meat over open sewers, not washing your hands after using the washroom etc. The average life expectancy is under 52. Juju, voodoo or curses are not the causes of deaths.

smiley

Granted, immunities have been developed, it still doesn't make it right. If one gets a flu vaccination, he or she should still take precautions as to not catch the flu. Nigerians have immunity, yes, but just as Nigerians are resistant to disease, bacteria and virus will also become more resistant to normal medications and find a way to infect a host. Just like our malaria issue.

I'm very puzzled that Nigerians, home and away, see nothing wrong with the pictures Beaf posted. Nigerians are some of the most intelligent Africans. Most of us have smelled a burning tire. The chemicals released are very potent and sting the nose, so why anyone would cook meat over it and call it FOOD is beyond me. It's very shameful.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Parnassuss(m): 5:15pm On Apr 24, 2012
Roasted chicken is being riled against Who dares rile against an honest man making an honest living Doesn't the petroleum sector's fraud provide enough disgust that you have to find a real hardworking Nigeria to embarrass? What if he came out to the street and started selling, what of it? Have you lived in his shoes, felt his pain, swallowed the bitter pill that is his life? Every Nigerian with a clean conscious ought to stand in the street and eat, live, sheet and sleep till the dogs that have kept our peace from us are capturedq

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Outstrip(f): 7:01pm On Apr 24, 2012
Someone posts a progressive topic and he gets abused and ridiculed. You can just act like you did not see the thread. I just don't understand how people can be so angry about progress. Those of you fixating on the roasted chicken are deliberately trying to be simple. It is bigger than that and he expantiated in following posts. I know I will get insulted though but I would like to know how many people condemning him live in Nigeria. I am willing to bet that all of them do. I see it all the time. When you say something about deplorable conditions in Nigeria it is usually the ones living there that make excuses for why it is that way. The government might be corrupt but that is not why Nigeria is the way it is. A huge and significant part of it is the mentality of the people. The sad thing is an opportunity to educate yourself is usually scorned by the people that should embrace it

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by antartica(m): 7:23pm On Apr 24, 2012
I wonder how many of the socalled chicken could be young vultures that are still very tender.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by kemmeye: 9:46pm On Apr 24, 2012
I AM GOING TO DIE OF ANOREXIA BECAUSE AFTER LOOKING AT THIS I CAN NEVER EAT AGAIN. GROSS!!!!!!!
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 2:32am On Apr 25, 2012
jason123: In fact, selling chicken openly adds to the "Nigerian" flavor you can't get anywhere in the world! Its our unique style of barbeque.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

flies and their larvae will definitely add some flavor!! grin
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Sike(m): 10:08am On Apr 25, 2012
Rub.bish!!!
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by globalwaly(m): 4:15pm On Apr 25, 2012
wao, who i around there to help me get one...
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Beaf: 8:53pm On Apr 25, 2012
Outstrip: Someone posts a progressive topic and he gets abused and ridiculed. You can just act like you did not see the thread. I just don't understand how people can be so angry about progress. Those of you fixating on the roasted chicken are deliberately trying to be simple. It is bigger than that and he expantiated in following posts. I know I will get insulted though but I would like to know how many people condemning him live in Nigeria. I am willing to bet that all of them do. I see it all the time. When you say something about deplorable conditions in Nigeria it is usually the ones living there that make excuses for why it is that way. The government might be corrupt but that is not why Nigeria is the way it is. A huge and significant part of it is the mentality of the people. The sad thing is an opportunity to educate yourself is usually scorned by the people that should embrace it
I think its just a new craze for people to act silly these days. It leaves a sad feeling when it is realised that these are the people the nations future depends on.

The collective mental state of the country is in no fit state for development. It looks like the entire scope for creative thought has been thrown out the window, even worse, dignity and pride in humanity have been thrown out as well.

How can a nation in this state ever hope to develop? Most people who might not be that bright and who have never ever left their home states or Nigeria (even to Burkina Faso) might not be able to grasp how human society can function at much higher and productive levels than the bestial World that obtains in Nigeria. If anything, this thread shows that the depth of work that needs to be done to raise our people is mind-boggling (though not insurmountable).

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Outstrip(f): 12:37am On Apr 26, 2012
Beaf:
I think its just a new craze for people to act silly these days. It leaves a sad feeling when it is realised that these are the people the nations future depends on.

The collective mental state of the country is in no fit state for development. It looks like the entire scope for creative thought has been thrown out the window, even worse, dignity and pride in humanity have been thrown out as well.

How can a nation in this state ever hope to develop? Most people who might not be that bright and who have never ever left their home states or Nigeria (even to Burkina Faso) might not be able to grasp how human society can function at much higher and productive levels than the bestial World that obtains in Nigeria. If anything, this thread shows that the depth of work that needs to be done to raise our people is mind-boggling (though not insurmountable).

Nowadays I am mostly frustrated with Nigeria. Nigeria has truly broken my heart. You almost wonder if people just like it the way it is. Nobody wants to make the small sacrifices not to talk of the big ones. Honestly mostly I don't care. Not for me anyway. I just cannot deny my children that part of them. When they are old enough they can decide how Nigerian they want to be. With Nigeria for me right now it is just observing.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Abbeypremium(m): 12:56am On Apr 26, 2012
occam:

A Nigerian med professional asserted that people have developed immunity against germs, so this practice is not a big deal as I claimed. I simply smiled and walked away; wasn't in the mood to argue. Lack of right information underscores the serious health challenge in Nigeria

occam:

occam:

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Abbeypremium(m): 1:16am On Apr 26, 2012
It is unfortunate that Public Health Department in LGs are no longer functioning. This is the department that was saddled with the responsibilities of seeing to the safety and hygenic state of our food and drinks as to preparation, vending and storage. Many agencies like this are either moribound or ineffective due to govt neglect. The 'wolewoles' and veterinaries, these days are more of a revenue department in LGs, they are only after how much they can rake in daily for themselves. They no longer care even if you cook and dine by the soak away of the public latrines.

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by lillaowow(m): 7:07am On Apr 26, 2012
*waka pass-ing*
Subscribe
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Parnassuss(m): 7:19am On Apr 26, 2012
Beaf:
Development comes from state of the mind. If the mind has no standards, how is it ever going to be creative and focused to precision?
I wonder what you think comes out of the minds of those who sell roasted chicken skewered in the open by the roadside? Advanced algorithms? High tech? What? angry

If you want to promote standards go and measure those in classrooms, public n private. Go and survey the standards in hospitals, then go and compare them with the average Nigerian family and you will that the only side not keeping its end of the bargin is the weak-assed Fed Govt. And 2 you, u the twerp loud mouthing an honest guy trying to feed himself in NO way detrimental to anyone, you need to come face to the truth that we all know: you are a mypic nutcase.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Parnassuss(m): 7:30am On Apr 26, 2012
Outstrip: Someone posts a progressive topic and he gets abused and ridiculed. You can just act like you did not see the thread. I just don't understand how people can be so angry about progress. Those of you fixating on the roasted chicken are deliberately trying to be simple. It is bigger than that and he expantiated in following posts. I know I will get insulted though but I would like to know how many people condemning him live in Nigeria. I am willing to bet that all of them do. I see it all the time. When you say something about deplorable conditions in Nigeria it is usually the ones living there that make excuses for why it is that way. The government might be corrupt but that is not why Nigeria is the way it is. A huge and significant part of it is the mentality of the people. The sad thing is an opportunity to educate yourself is usually scorned by the people that should embrace it

I am numbed by your stunning ignorance. U bastion of enlightenment please bless us with ur knowledge n wisdom, tell us the morals we should draw from this Beafy tale!
Damn, everywhere I look I see delusion and blindness, if that's what it means to live outside Nigeria it seems so people leave their brains in boxes at the airports.
Ghana for all her stability n progress did not have to ban Kebab sellers to reach where they are. And for all those health morons, tell me if Malaria, cancer, aids, diabetes, or other heart diseases (which are most common killers today in Nigeria) are caused by roasted meat? Get a life, one with lots of brains in it preferably too.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Apr 26, 2012
Parnassuss: I am numbed by your stunning ignorance. U bastion of enlightenment please bless us with ur knowledge n wisdom, tell us the morals we should draw from this Beafy tale!
Damn, everywhere I look I see delusion and blindness, if that's what it means to live outside Nigeria it seems so people leave their brains in boxes at the airports.
Ghana for all her stability n progress did not have to ban Kebab sellers to reach where they are. And for all those health morons, tell me if Malaria, cancer, aids, diabetes, or other heart diseases (which are most common killers today in Nigeria) are caused by roasted meat? Get a life, one with lots of brains in it preferably too.

I think you should look at all the pictures Beaf posted, go and research risk factors of the ailments you just listed, and then return to this thread with your findings.

Just as Americans who say they have the best health care in the world have never left their soil, Nigerians who chop meat roasted on burning have probably never left Naija.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Muniratu Abubakar Emerges ‘the King’s Chef’ / Transport Fare Terrible, Garri No Longer Snacks’- Nigerians Weep, / Task Force Intercepts Expired Seasoning In Ogun State (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.