Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,883 members, 7,956,331 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:09 AM

md - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / md (1445 Views)

Winning Formular Md/ceo/business Owners apply! / Oscar Onyeama Emerges Nigerian Stock Exchange MD/CEO / Bank MD Stole Shares Worth 97 Billion Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

md by lotex(m): 11:01am On Nov 09, 2007
j
Re: md by walcolm(m): 11:14am On Nov 09, 2007
Step 1. gather all the share certificates no matter how old
Step 2. get his death certificate ready and with you
Step 3. if he wrote a will, make sure the will states that you are the beneficiary of all those shares (his lawyer should be with you on this one)
Step 4. have your birth certificate or a medical proof that you are his offspring
step 5. approach the registrars of those companies (written on the cert) and present your case

if you have done your home work well, the shares will be transferred to your name in their books\

all the best
Re: md by lotex(m): 11:22am On Nov 10, 2007
je
Re: md by walcolm(m): 12:38pm On Nov 10, 2007
lotex:

Thank you for your advice, but if he doesnt make a will on, what else will i do.

if there's no will and there's no other person in ur family fighting you for the right to those shares, just get the other things on the list i gave you and go to the registrars office.

they dont really need to know if there's a will or not. all they need is a confirmation that your dad is late and that you are the child who can take charge of those stocks
Re: md by olofinjeje: 1:00pm On Nov 10, 2007
The solution given was almost accurate-
1. If your father died and left a Will you must go and obtain probate(that is done in the High Court) and you can only obtain probate if you are named as an Executor to your father's Estate.
Once you obtain the probate documents this proves that your father is dead and that you or who ever is named as Executor/s can actually access and deal in your late father's property and assets which includes all bank accounts and shareholdings.
You can then follow the steps laid out by WALCOLM.

2.if your father died without a Will -you must obtain Letters of Administration also from the High Court-this will be given if there are no disputes or anyone challenging your authority to deal with your father's Estate.

Please note that death duties may be payable on the valuation of the Estate(all your father's assets) and this duty(amount) must be paid before the courts will grant you the Probate or issue the Letters of Administration.

Without one of these documents no broker or Bank will deal with you.Those shares will just remain as is ,and all dividends will be unclaimed.

My advice is to get a good and competent Lawyer to assist you.

An aside to all investors in shares and properties when you are buying them do so in a company name-so that when ever anything happens in the futurethere will be no death duties payable as companies exist in perpetuity(they never die)
Re: md by omogidi234(m): 2:41pm On Nov 12, 2007
olofinjeje:

The solution given was almost accurate-
1. If your father died and left a Will you must go and obtain probate(that is done in the High Court) and you can only obtain probate if you are named as an Executor to your father's Estate.
Once you obtain the probate documents this proves that your father is dead and that you or who ever is named as Executor/s can actually access and deal in your late father's property and assets which includes all bank accounts and shareholdings.
You can then follow the steps laid out by WALCOLM.

2.if your father died without a Will -you must obtain Letters of Administration also from the High Court-this will be given if there are no disputes or anyone challenging your authority to deal with your father's Estate.

Please note that death duties may be payable on the valuation of the Estate(all your father's assets) and this duty(amount) must be paid before the courts will grant you the Probate or issue the Letters of Administration.

Without one of these documents no broker or Bank will deal with you.Those shares will just remain as is ,and all dividends will be unclaimed.

My advice is to get a good and competent Lawyer to assist you.

An aside to all investors in shares and properties when you are buying them do so in a company name-so that when ever anything happens in the futurethere will be no death duties payable as companies exist in perpetuity(they never die)

olofinjeje are you sure you are not a lawyer? Anyway lotex you have heard the truth from competent hands and mouth all I can add to it as a lawyer the practical and action. if you don't mind you can mail me at kleandenation@yahoo.ca and we take it up from there.
Re: md by omogidi234(m): 2:44pm On Nov 12, 2007
olofinjeje are you sure you are not a lawyer? Anyway lotex you have heard the truth from competent hands and mouth all I can add to it as a lawyer is the practical and action aspect. if you don't mind you can mail me at kleandenation@yahoo.ca and we take it up from there.

pardon my slip of tongue!

(1) (Reply)

How To Invest 12K? / List Your Car On Uber / Taxify (amazing Weekly Revenue) / Payment Received From Facebook Research Utest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.