Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians (1845 Views)

EFCC Set To Arrest Saraki, David Mark, T.Y Danjuma, Others / EFCC Set To Probe Jonathan's Ministers, Aides / EFCC Set To Commence Prosecution Of Subsidy Thieves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by Mamajama(m): 3:54pm On Nov 09, 2007
The Chairman, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, on Thursday said that any Nigerian indicted in the bribery allegation rocking the American oil firm, Wilbros Group, would be prosecuted.

He told the Bloomberg in an interview from Abuja that the US government had requested for proper investigation of the scandal.

“We have evidence that will likely take them to court,” he said, adding that about 10 Nigerians were involved.

Ribadu said the EFCC was investigating one American and that the agency’s investigation would complement those of the U.S. Justice Department and the Security and Exchange Commission.

Jason Steph, 37, a former executive with a unit of Wilbros, pleaded guilty on November 5 in the U.S. federal court for conspiring to bribe Nigerian officials. As part of the plea, Steph admitted that in 2003 he and others agreed to make corrupt payments totalling more than $6m.

Meanwhile, the Action Congress has called for a full investigation into the alleged bribery of government officials, the Peoples Democratiic Party and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.

In a statement in Abuja on Thursday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party said it was necessary to know the officials of the government, the PDP and the NNPC who benefitted from the $6m in bribes from the company.

The party said the affected people should face the full wrath of the law for dragging Nigeria into international disrepute.

The AC said, ‘‘The decision of the Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Chief Michael Aondoakaa, to travel to the US to investigate the matter is a welcome first step.

“We expect that the minister will leave no stone unturned in getting the full details, including whether or not the funds were given to the PDP to use for the 2003 elections, since the alleged bribe was paid by the Wilbros official that year.”

AC said the case presented another good opportunity for President Umaru Yar‘Adua to demonstrate that his commitment to the rule of law, due process and the administration‘s anti-corruption stance, was not a ruse.

It expressed shock that the alleged bribery occurred during the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, who made the fight against corruption a major plank of his government‘s policies.

According to the revelation coming from the guilty plea by Steph, the $6m was given to a senior member of the executive branch of the government, the PDP and officials of the NNPC.

The AC added, “Yet, the eagle-eyed anti-corruption agencies, especially the ever-present EFCC, did not discover this - or if they did, pretended as if it did not happen.

“The case has again exposed the double standard of that administration as well as its attack dogs in their so-called fight against corruption.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2007110914234368
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by almondjoy(f): 4:03pm On Nov 09, 2007
We have heard.  How many have been indicted and prosecuted so far? Was Andy Uba not indicted and prosecuted in America?  Why did we not hear EFCC's voice then?
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by Mamajama(m): 4:16pm On Nov 09, 2007
SO because one escape we should turn the left cheek and let others go without repercussion free?
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by IykeD1(m): 4:34pm On Nov 09, 2007
and when was Andy Uba indicted and prosecuted in the US? How long ago?
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by BigB11(m): 4:48pm On Nov 09, 2007
EFCC = coward, fruitlessness, inadequacy, deficiency, incompleteness, powerlessness, senselessness, stalemate, disproportionate, deadend, preconception, inexperienced, bigotry, visionless and absolutely a nation wrecker
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by debosky(m): 4:53pm On Nov 09, 2007
Andy Uba was not 'indicted' and prosecuted, he broke US law regarding how much cash can be brought into the country without being declared. . .and for breaking that law he was made to forfeit a portion of the funds to the US govt.

The origin of the funds was never investigated and was not an issue in the US case.

Wilbros paying bribes is a totally different case - If it can be traced appropriately, the officials involved should be prosecuted.

@ BigB

because EFCC is not doing things with your espoused 'perfection' eh?

Just wait till they decide to come after daddy IBB grin

Let them go after them one after the other. . .the fact that they are not prosecuting the ones you want doesn't change the fact that all those that have fallen under their spotlight so far and indicted are also corrupt. Let the ICPC handle the cases that EFCC has not touched - they are there to complement each other.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by saintchux(m): 5:05pm On Nov 09, 2007
debosky:

Andy Uba was not 'indicted' and prosecuted, he broke US law regarding how much cash can be brought into the country without being declared. . .and for breaking that law he was made to forfeit a portion of the funds to the US govt.

The origin of the funds was never investigated and was not an issue in the US case.

Wilbros paying bribes is a totally different case - If it can be traced appropriately, the officials involved should be prosecuted.

@ BigB

because EFCC is not doing things with your espoused 'perfection' eh?

Just wait till they decide to come after daddy IBB grin

Let them go after them one after the other. . .the fact that they are not prosecuting the ones you want doesn't change the fact that all those that have fallen under their spotlight so far and indicted are also corrupt. Let the ICPC handle the cases that EFCC has not touched - they are there to complement each other.

What Andy Uba did is money Laundary, the same offence that sent Alamasieyea to Prison, the same offence Joshua Dariye is facing, So what made Andy Uba more Nigerian than those guys, that EFCC is looking the other way toward his case.

What spoil a Job is not the job done very well but those Jobs left undone. So EFCC not prosecuting Andy Uba will keep on giving them bad names.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by BigB11(m): 5:10pm On Nov 09, 2007
Excellent Point!

People in Nigeria are just simply immune to habitual failure, this is also why they are so quick to settle for absolutely nothing.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by BigB11(m): 5:11pm On Nov 09, 2007
EFCC

E: Excessive          F: Failure                C: Conation                C: Concept
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by almondjoy(f): 5:20pm On Nov 09, 2007
Big B1:

EFCC = coward, fruitlessness, inadequacy, deficiency, incompleteness, powerlessness, senselessness, stalemate, disproportionate, deadend, preconception, inexperienced, bigotry, visionless and absolutely a nation wrecker

Nothing to add!  Just about sums it up.

Mamajama:

SO because one escape we should turn the left cheek and let others go without repercussion free?

Just one?---Don't forget Ehindero escaped too! tongue  You want me to call more names? undecided

saintchux:

What Andy Uba did is money Laundary, the same offence that sent Alamasieyea to Prison, the same offence Joshua Dariye is facing, So what made Andy Uba more Nigerian than those guys, that EFCC is looking the other way toward his case.

What spoil a Job is not the job done very well but those Jobs left undone. So EFCC not prosecuting Andy Uba will keep on giving them bad names.

Maybe not in Nigeria.  But Andy Uba and his concubine "Ms Bamington"---ended up in a court trial for money laundering charges and it does not matter how long ago it was. EFCC was in control then  Just because he "cupped" a "plea bargain" does not make him less of an "indictee or a prosecutee"!!!!  He was found guilty in America and use the plea bargain option to avoid the humiliations of "jail" time--thanks to OBJ's private jet as the vehicle of "laundering service"!!!

debosky:

Andy Uba was not 'indicted' and prosecuted,

he broke US law regarding how much cash can be brought into the country without being declared. . .and for breaking that law he was made to forfeit a portion of the funds to the US govt.

[b]The origin of the funds was never investigated and was not an issue in the US case.[/b]Wilbros paying bribes is a totally different case - If it can be traced appropriately, the officials involved should be prosecuted.

I see!  How did he end up in court without indictment and prosecution? I wonder why the origin of the funds was never investigated.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm! Perhaps voodoo made it possible.  Or was it because it was OBJ's private jet that was used to commit the criminal act?

Who is fooling who?
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by debosky(m): 5:41pm On Nov 09, 2007
Uba was not prosecuted for Money Laundering, he broke US law by not declaring the cash. . .simple - his offence relates to non-declaration of foreign amounts over a given figure, he erroneously believed he could bring the money in on diplomatic basis.

If he simply told them he was bringing in the money, NOTHING would've happened to him, it was simply an error of judgment.

The source of his money was not investigated further because he held the position as a special assistant in the government - hardly a ministerial or governor position where he would be expected to have access to huge sums of government money. If the US courts accepted his purported source of the funds during the hearings, then I don't know what the noise here is about.

Dariye and Alams cases were obvious and traceable to government allocations of their states - what allocations do Special Assistants receive outside their salaries?

Andy Uba has no budgetary allocation he has access to, so there is no evidence/ even hypothetical link relating the money to any Nigerian government funds, which is definitely NOT the case in Dariye and Alam's cases.

How this compares to the Wilbros case is not clear to me - someone admitted paying BRIBES of $6m to govt officials, and EFCC promises to investigate.

Juxtapose that with a junior govt adviser with a couple of thousands of dollars erroneously brought into the country. How do they compare?
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by McKren(m): 5:48pm On Nov 09, 2007
Let ICPC investigate Andy Uba

That he has not been prosecuted by EFCC is not enough grounds to undermine the organisation.

BigB1
If you are undertaking a mission which the combination of Micheal Aondoakaa and Olisa Agbakoba failed to deliver, I can only wish you goodluck with you ambition.

FYI: The court in Benin has thrown out Ibori's case and reverted themselves in terms of the exparte order they granted. That is how massive the Anti-Corruption wind is?
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by BigB11(m): 6:34pm On Nov 09, 2007
The fact that you've recommended ICPC to go after Andy Uba also shows the level of defectiveness of this organization called EFCC. War against corruption must be treated equally under every circumstance.

FYI: Ribadu's house in Asokoro is confirmed to be more than 300M.
How would you explain that? I guess he used the same strategy OBJ used to turn 20,000 Naira into $10B in 8 wonderful years .

Dude, nothing personal, but fight against corruption in Nigeria is not balanced and extremely selective. Till we purely understand fair justice and advance our retarded leadership skill in Nigeria, the country will continue to lose incredible bids; just like they did few hours ago.

I will fight to the end (my background doesn't permit me to give up like a hopeless coward).
There is no way EFCC will ever recover, they fell many months ago and will continue to fall and fall (they've been designed to retain this awful status).

Save us some money, time and foolishness; EFCC must be replaced immediately.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by Mamajama(m): 6:42pm On Nov 09, 2007
@almondjoy (f) May SHANGO strike you for calling EHINDERO.

@saintchux you can not classify ANDY or compare what he did to what ALAM or DARIYE did. The territory and location of the crime was different.

They were apprehended and litigation was filed against them in London. ANDY was never indicted in USA. his accomplice was indicted and she took a plea bargain.

@BIGB1. EFCC was the best thing that ever happened to Nigerian until they went after your brother. It amazes me that you can change over night like a Carmeleon just because they went after your brother.

What company or how did Muhammad become overnight celebrity without a source of income?

MY ONLY REGRET for OBJs administration was that he protected IBB and his accomplice from prosecution.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by presido1: 6:46pm On Nov 09, 2007
debosky:

Uba was not prosecuted for Money Laundering, he broke US law by not declaring the cash. . .simple - his offence relates to non-declaration of foreign amounts over a given figure, he erroneously believed he could bring the money in on diplomatic basis.
When did Andy Uba become a Nigerian Diplomat?
debosky:

If he simply told them he was bringing in the money, NOTHING would've happened to him, it was simply an error of judgment.
Why did he not tell them? Cos the money was gotten !!!!! u know the rest.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by presido1: 6:52pm On Nov 09, 2007
Mamajama:

@almondjoy (f) May SHANGO strike you for calling EHINDERO
Protect some and prosecute some. Nigeria will remain stagnant with this formular.

Mamajama:

What company or how did Muhammad become overnight celebrity without a source of income?
Have you ever asked this question in Andy Ubas case? i think NO

Mamajama:

MY ONLY REGRET for OBJs administration was that he protected IBB and his accomplice from prosecution.
Protecting a criminal? he must be part of the gang then. Thank God is a regret at last.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by BigB11(m): 6:55pm On Nov 09, 2007
It was also confirmed that the money had something to do with OTA farm; and infact this was investigated for many months by FBI; but of course this is absolutely nothing to the almighty EFCC.

For FBI to investigate you for many months and then release an unfavorable result without any hesitation; trust me, it means you've screwed up.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by BigB11(m): 6:57pm On Nov 09, 2007
Just one?---Don't forget Ehindero escaped too!

Don't worry, Ehindero's balls will be cut off when the time is right.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by Mariory(m): 6:57pm On Nov 09, 2007
Long live the EFCC. May they continue to cause some people (criminal supporters) on this forum severe and extremely painful heart ache. Let it hurt guys, let it hurt really well. grin
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by Mamajama(m): 7:26pm On Nov 09, 2007
Big B1:

The fact that you've recommended ICPC to go after Andy Uba also shows the level of defectiveness of this organization called EFCC. War against corruption must be treated equally under every circumstance.

FYI: Ribadu's house in Asokoro is confirmed to be more than 300M.

This is How shallow minded you are MR BIGB1 and misleading. Do you know the house you are talking about belong to the Nigerian police force?

That was the same house that Ehindero Occupied as a DIG. Who sold the house to RIBADU? where are the documents?

Did you get your facts from suns news paper that stated Ehindero spent 400 Million to buy the IGPs residence?

Dude get your ducks in line before you start preaching to the masses.
I guess we will never know what damage your father did to Nigeria until the NIGER DELTA MILITANT KIDNAP him or your for a ransom. LOL grin grin
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by McKren(m): 7:56pm On Nov 09, 2007
BigB1

Acusing Ribadu of embezzlement is the lowest point on your fruitless attempt to blackmail him.

Dont give up just carry on, this is the beauty of the internet. Ability to make spurious and irrational claims without incuring the wrath of vexed Nigerians.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by BigB11(m): 8:03pm On Nov 09, 2007
Mckren:
Don't you sound like a real soldier? Very interesting!

Calm down, my man.
Ribadu has been asked for many months to present his assets to Nigerians just like the rest.
Do you know what he did instead?
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by McKren(m): 8:14pm On Nov 09, 2007
Just like which rest?

Show me any newspaper links showing declaration of assets by the following people and tell me why Ribadu is your priority

1. Inspector general of police

2. Chief of Defence Staff

3. Chief of Army staff

4. Chief of Naval Staff

5. Head of customs

6. National security adviser

7. Head of NDLEA

8. or Other DIGs and AIGs

Do you know what it means telling a security operative to declare their assets
BigB1 do not allow your hatred for Ribadu introducing ethusiasm and radicalism in his service to this nation becloud your reasoning.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by Mamajama(m): 8:20pm On Nov 09, 2007
Thank God someone can reason and see the sensitivity of decalring assest by law enforcement agents or affiliates.

If the militant in Niger can blow up a VP official residence. Imagine what they will do if they know where RIBADU parents or sisters are located?

IBB will start sending letter bomb again
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by BigB11(m): 8:29pm On Nov 09, 2007
Do you know what it means telling a security operative to declare their assets
BigB1 do not allow your hatred for Ribadu introducing ethusiasm and radicalism in his service to this nation becloud your reasoning

Mckren:

This is why we fight.

How could you come out like that and say such a terrible statement regarding my hatred for Ribadu? This is inaccurate under every single circumstance.

I will never hate anybody, especially someone like Ribadu. Regardless of what he may be going through, I still admire his uniqueness and dedication. Infact I was one of the first supporters to come out vigorously to embrace his priceless effort. The man is still one of my favorite Nigerians.
I will never hate anybody, that's absolutely not me.

Hating failure and how war against corruption is being operated is totally different from hating an entity. You should change that statement; it is absolutely offensive and inappropriate way to describe me.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by BigB11(m): 8:33pm On Nov 09, 2007
Show me any newspaper links showing declaration of assets by the following people and tell me why Ribadu is your priority

1. Inspector general of police

2. Chief of Defence Staff

3. Chief of Army staff

4. Chief of Naval Staff

5. Head of customs

6. National security adviser

7. Head of NDLEA

8. or Other DIGs and AIGs

I can careless about the listed names, do you want me to start listing folks who have responded to Ribadu's request (presentation of assets)?
If you call yourself a cook, you must also be willing to taste the food you've cooked without any hesitation.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by debosky(m): 8:44pm On Nov 09, 2007
presenting his assets for declaration is side-stepping this issue . . .if it is required from him, let the comparison be made between when he got into office and when he leaves. The issue here is not Ribadu's assets.

BigB if there was no functional role/duty for the ICPC to perform why would it have been created?

I don't know where you got this misconception that each and every case of corruption MUST be investigated by the EFCC - Is it the only law enforcement agent in the land? If the EFCC has its hands full chasing governors and 419 kingpins all over and prosecuting them, why can a sister agency not also play its role?

The 'incredible' bid we lost has nothing to do with corruption or otherwise - we were not prepared and would not really have reaped anything from that event. it would be another government drain pipe.

The EFCC has prosecuted cases that it deems fit and capable to pursue to a logical conclusion. For all you know, there may be no evidence to show that Uba's funds were illegally acquired. Do you want them to lock him up simply due to an allegation?

That does not show 'bias', a specialized agency like the EFCC MUST of necessity select cases that most closely tie to its mandate and that will serve as the suitable deterrent to others. It is the job of the other agencies such as ICPC and the NPF as well as the AG's office to complement these efforts.

Corruption investigation does not start and end at the EFCC. Ribadu and his staff have performed excellently (if not 'perfectly' like BigB wants)

Let the other agencies achieve a similar level of efficiency and prosecution rates and watch if the corruption rates will not drop.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by buluti(m): 9:58pm On Nov 09, 2007
Well said debosky, well said. Funny that those that are always against the EFCC are the ones that shout "rule of law" what an irony.

They refuse to acknowledge the fact its not the EFCC's respnsibility to do everything, while the other agencies do nothing. The question they should be asking is before the EFCC what was the position of the country, what success rate did the anti corruption agencies then record?
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by IykeD1(m): 10:02pm On Nov 09, 2007
This BigB1 guy is one character. Just saying, some people really hate the EFCC,
no matter how they try to hide it. Go EFCC!!!!!!!!!!! Go EFCC!!!!!
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by IykeD1(m): 10:09pm On Nov 09, 2007
Hen hen hen, one of them is pre-sweating already. . .

They want to smear my name again - Atiku

The Tribune

FORMER Vice President Atiku Abubakar has alerted the public to an organised and orchestrated campaign to shoot down his rising political profile by linking his name to a series of shady deals allegedly contracted by former President Olusegun Obasanjo and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The former vice president drew attention to a court case in the United States where a former official of Willbros, an international oil servicing company, is engaged in a plea-bargain to extricate himself from an admission that he bribed top NNPC officials in 2003 in order to obtain government contracts, and that the money was used to fund the PDP election campaigns post-2003.

“Attempts to link my name with mobilisation of funds for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), or with any government contract after the 2003 elections, cannot be anything other that a smear campaign,” Abubakar said in a statement.

“I have given evidence in the past and Nigerians are well aware, showing that I had been schemed out of the affairs of both the PDP and the government shortly after the 2003 elections. Those who ran the PDP and controlled the former petroleum ministry after the 2003 elections should be in a better position to answer query pertaining to the payment of any bribe by Wilbros or any other company.

“Information made available to me suggests that a US attorney, currently defending a man who pleaded guilty to bribing top NNPC officials, has freely submitted my name as one of the government officials allegedly bribed in 2003 or thereafter, alongside former NNPC boss, Funso Kupolokun and other top officials of the corporation. I understand that the said defence attorney claimed to have been verbally advised of the names by the prosecutors, even though they (prosecutors) did not post any names in their own documents.

“This is the height of mischief, because it is common knowledge that Kupolokun was hired in 2003 at the time that I had lost favour with Obasanjo, and the former NNPC boss is known to have worked closely with Obasanjo, Andy Uba, and other acolytes of the former President who set out to destroy me politically.

“How could my name feature in alleged deals by these same people?

“This allegation, if true, must be another smear campaign designed to cripple me politically, ahead of an adverse verdict against the Obasanjo people on the sham 2007 elections.”
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by buluti(m): 10:15pm On Nov 09, 2007
My brother the thief runnet when no one pursuet.
Re: Wilbros: Efcc Set To Prosecute Indicted Nigerians by BigB11(m): 10:32pm On Nov 09, 2007
Up EFCC, long life failure. We shall all see as usual.

I'm used to this type of mass rejection. It is absolutely not a big deal to me anymore.

Just like before the presidential election, many of you guys crucified me, just because I was recommending the Fed Govt. to spend more on upgrading the election process, educating the voters and spend less on stopping Atiku.
infact, Mckren was the main class captain that bashed me for many days for this sensible recommendation.

Guess what? Atiku participated, election process failed and dead heads cried like pussy cats for many months.

We have to understand the true meaning of success before we start making unnecessary noise.
In my eyes, EFCC still represents the main major obstacle preventing a successful war against corruption. What sense does it make when the biggest thieves are walking around freely and flexing their muscle? It makes absolutely no sense to me.
I repeat: War against corruption will never be a successful war as long as EFCC stays around. It will be waste of time, money and will further disunify the entire nation.
The Next 4 years will be rat race with a BIG ZERO, the Nigerians favorite number when it comes to Federal Gov accomplishment.

(1) (2) (Reply)

36 Year Igbo Man Swallow A Wrap Of Cocaine That Had Got Stuck In His Stomach. / Nigeria- A Recent Corruption Timeline / Failed Bomb Attempt On Cbn Building At Broad Street, Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.