Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,779 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 (11010 Views)

Full List Of COURSES Offered By FUNAAB- Careerpingger / List Of Courses Done In Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture Umudike / OAU Admission For 2012/2013 Session (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Ghydyon(m): 1:55am On Apr 27, 2012
To all those who seek admission to the great citadel of learning for this year.Below are the top 10 courses that Most candidates apply for;

1.Accountancy=9406
2.Medicine & surgery=9185
3.Law=6043
4.Nursing=4441
5.Economics=4281
6.Pharmacy=2890
7.Political sci=2244
8.Public admin=2216
9.International relations=1688
10.Computer engineering=1590

http://www.jamb.org.ng/unifiedtme/CheckInstitutionStatisitics.aspx
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Ashbaba: 7:22am On Apr 27, 2012
Pls am viewing this on a java fone and i cant access pdf files. Please can anybody check the stats for medical rehabilitation.. Please nd God bless.
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Thorby(m): 11:15am On Apr 27, 2012
som1 2 check 4me plzzzzzzzz,Education & Economics
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by mycito90: 4:59pm On Apr 27, 2012
u c it most of our younger ones lack orientation every body want to become medical doctor nd lawyer...
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Okijajuju1(m): 5:15pm On Apr 27, 2012
mycito90: u c it most of our younger ones lack orientation every body want to become medical doctor nd lawyer...

With the amount of criminals in Nigeria, soon Lawyers would be the wealtiest people in Naija. . . As for med students. . I dey laugh.

I wonder why people dey fer engineering!
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Bontee: 5:20pm On Apr 27, 2012
mycito90: u c it most of our younger ones lack orientation every body want to become medical doctor nd lawyer...

You are right my brother and it is very sad because i am checking more statistics from other schools also. It seems people are focused on anything related to petroleum and banking jobs as well. I don't really know who to blame but i feel if there is a policy direction from the education managers then this trend can be changed.

I am of the opinion that we adopt the Asian option and force students towards fields that are needed and relevant to us as a nation. I read somewhere that the Asians have this policy of 70 percent towards science and technology and the rest to others. So in such circumstance the slots for the other fields gets filled quickly why the others are forced into the science and technology class by or they forfeit their admission for that year. This was done at the secondary school level where the student can still be nurtured after such practice.

I remember in my secondary school days when we were given the choice to choose our future direction after the junior waec exams. Every tom, dick and harry went to commercial class and by the end of the day we had one class for science, one for Arts which swelled up from science dropouts and three classes of commercial students. It was a pity for those arts students as they don't even know what they wanted to study after their secondary school and mostly also in the commercial category with the usual banking and finance or accountancy. Same could be said of the science students too as most were just jumping on medicine and surgery, electrical and electronic engineering ( when they were obvious failures in physics and mathematics ).

We could as well adopt the European or western option and give every students the same unified education and they should only make that final future direction at the time of writing their senior waec. Also i really don't know what the other posters are asking the original poster to check as this is not the admission lists but general statistics about the just concluded or ongoing admission process.

1 Like

Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by passionate88: 6:03pm On Apr 27, 2012
Uniport zoology not up to 50... automatic addmission
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by NewsUni: 6:14pm On Apr 27, 2012
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by OmawumiMegbele(m): 6:35pm On Apr 27, 2012
[size=20pt]Greatest Ife. Oba Awon University in the 90's[/size]
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by agoshofin(m): 6:39pm On Apr 27, 2012
I recommend you all watch this video from TED website http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html and this video from Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

You will get a proper idea of what the reason for the mad rush to Law, medicine and Accountancy!
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by wowo2: 6:46pm On Apr 27, 2012
What happened to Chemical Engineering or Elect/Elect Eng'g?

Those 2 used to be the only ones anybody entering OAU Faculty of Technology ever wanted to study.

Hopefully there is now the realisation amongst secondary school leavers and parents that the Industry in Nigeria is inexistent. Very easy to see that most Chemical Engineering graduates do not end up as Chemical Engineers; ditto Elect/Elect. Most Elect Elect graduates these days end up as Computer salesmen or to sugar-coat it - IT Consultants.

1 Like

Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Ghenghis(m): 7:43pm On Apr 27, 2012
agoshofin: I recommend you all watch this video from TED website http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html and this video from Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

You will get a proper idea of what the reason for the mad rush to Law, medicine and Accountancy!

Thanks for a great link!!! Excellent ....
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by GboyegaD(m): 8:00pm On Apr 27, 2012
See figure. I fear sha ooooo cos how many can they admit per department? Now I see why people do all sort to gain admission.
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by GboyegaD(m): 8:02pm On Apr 27, 2012
Bontee:

You are right my brother and it is very sad because i am checking more statistics from other schools also. It seems people are focused on anything related to petroleum and banking jobs as well. I don't really know who to blame but i feel if there is a policy direction from the education managers then this trend can be changed.

I am of the opinion that we adopt the Asian option and force students towards fields that are needed and relevant to us as a nation. I read somewhere that the Asians have this policy of 70 percent towards science and technology and the rest to others. So in such circumstance the slots for the other fields gets filled quickly why the others are forced into the science and technology class by or they forfeit their admission for that year. This was done at the secondary school level where the student can still be nurtured after such practice.

I remember in my secondary school days when we were given the choice to choose our future direction after the junior waec exams. Every tom, dick and harry went to commercial class and by the end of the day we had one class for science, one for Arts which swelled up from science dropouts and three classes of commercial students. It was a pity for those arts students as they don't even know what they wanted to study after their secondary school and mostly also in the commercial category with the usual banking and finance or accountancy. Same could be said of the science students too as most were just jumping on medicine and surgery, electrical and electronic engineering ( when they were obvious failures in physics and mathematics ).

We could as well adopt the European or western option and give every students the same unified education and they should only make that final future direction at the time of writing their senior waec. Also i really don't know what the other posters are asking the original poster to check as this is not the admission lists but general statistics about the just concluded or ongoing admission process.

The truth is how many school has the facilities to support sciences at secondary and tertiary levels?
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Excelboi(m): 8:23pm On Apr 27, 2012
And other uni's dey lack candidates... I dnt knw why people cant focus on not so popular school, afterall its just to get a good grade...
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by member479760: 8:30pm On Apr 27, 2012
wetin person wan take engineering do in this country.
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Wemmy6284(m): 9:25pm On Apr 27, 2012
Plz can my cousin be given admission,he scored 200 in jamb..And chose OAU as First choice in Engineering department..
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Felixjude(m): 10:02pm On Apr 27, 2012
well,from my experience i must say that children are not given enough orientation about carreer choice both at home and in school.The wealthy parents want their children to study law,med.surg,,acc,eng..etc,as if they are the ones that would do the reading for the children,forgeting that there is more to that.I will suggest that secondary school children are given carrear talks @least once every term from SSS1 and well guided to make the right descision.gaurdian and councelling unit should be opened too to further tackle this menace.these will go a long way
I wasted 3good years looking for med.surge @OAU,eventually i was given plant science,the following year they gave me botany...i had to live an today am studying petroleum engineering in a diff school.
In all,pple shud knw dat der is mor to law,med.surge,acc,interel and even pet eng.....winks.....
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by imparable7(m): 10:31pm On Apr 27, 2012
nice
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Musiwa49: 3:34am On Apr 28, 2012
when private people are able to do what govt claim to do, does that look to you as if nigeria economy depend on oil

Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Jarus(m): 6:29am On Apr 28, 2012
Despite her challenges, OAU still remains highly sought after, if not the most sought after varsity in Nigeria.

Unfortunately, out of the 4281 that applied for Economics, maybe only the 281 on top will be given admission. In my set(2001), less than 300 got admissin, and less than 200 graduated 4 years later(5 years actually).
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Nobody: 7:03am On Apr 28, 2012
abeg, let them study whatever they like. Nigeria does not have a balanced economy anyway. Everything is upside down. Musiwa is right to some extent. What would someone do with a botany or agric engineering course in Nigeria? despite the fact that Nigeria as so much arable farm land. What would someone do with a transport planning or urban and regional planning degree in Nigeria despite the fact that there are so many problem Nigeria is facing in this sector. The few coy in this field do not encourage present student studying those course at uni with scholarships or job offer. The available jobs are given out to expatriates thereby discouraging students from studying those courses.

1 Like

Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by BLECINS(f): 8:51am On Apr 28, 2012
Wow
Electrical Engineering is not in this list angry
I graduated from elect/elect and i'm so proud of it.
Greatest Ife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by idnole4(m): 8:52am On Apr 28, 2012
I really enjoyed that Ted's video...nice
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by drizzit(m): 8:58am On Apr 28, 2012
Am a prime example of this.after my secondary sch I applied for medicine and surgery in ife and I lost almost 3years because of dis.in d end I eventually studied zoology and doing my masters in ecology now in d same sch.d standard of teachin is top notch though some may disagree.we were almost 120 in my first year but in my final year we were barely 50 out of which only 30 graduated...Wat are we expected to do with a bsc in zoology in naija? Wen even d so called professional can't hold down a job.so wat am doin now is to upgrade and specialize and hope for d best...our orientation needs to be worked upon if there is goin to be a change
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Bontee: 9:03am On Apr 28, 2012
GboyegaD: The truth is how many school has the facilities to support sciences at secondary and tertiary levels?

In reality right now i don't think there is adequate space or capacity for that but with the right direction and policy then this can be developed. We are basically producing too much graduates in fields that they do not need such amount while we are lacking in other important fields.

nakedall: wetin person wan take engineering do in this country.

There is and beyond the country because your skills are needed all over the whole world . . . its a global village my brother. cool

Felixjude: In all,pple shud knw dat der is mor to law,med.surge,acc,interel and even pet eng.....winks.....

same with me as it is noot i was running up and down looking for that i ended up studying and now again am making another change or combination.
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Ghydyon(m): 11:38am On Apr 28, 2012
Thorby: som1 2 check 4me plzzzzzzzz,Education & Economics
for education and economics,376
Ashbaba: Pls am viewing this on a java fone and i cant access pdf files. Please can anybody check the stats for medical rehabilitation.. Please nd God bless.
for medical rehab d total no of 564 candidate are guning for dat dept
Re: OAU Statistics Of Choice Of Courses For 2012 by Ghydyon(m): 11:46am On Apr 28, 2012
Like wat other poster said d problem is lack of orientatn.Wen u ask d JJCs wat course did u chøose?Wat u hear u dem say is medicine,law,accountancy,mass comm,banking nd finance nt knwing wat it take nd dat dere are oda dept wich are nided in d labour market

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Admission Into The National University Of Abomey Calavi, Republic Of Benin / The Korowai People Of New Guinea Who Live On Trees And Eat Human Flesh(photos) / 7 Secrets Of Scoring 280 And Above In JAMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.