Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,302 members, 7,860,739 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 03:18 PM

Eternal Security? Free Grace?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Eternal Security? Free Grace?? (612 Views)

Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / Is Eternal Security Biblical? / The Eternal Security Of The Believer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eternal Security? Free Grace?? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Apr 28, 2012
Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip. For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation…?” (Heb. 2:1-3).

“… But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end… [/u]Take heed, brethren, [u]lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end” (Heb. 3:6,12-14).

“Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it… Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief” (Heb. 4:1,11).

“Who in the days of his [Jesus] flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared” (Heb. 5:7 ).

“For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame” (Heb. 6:4-6).

“For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he [the believer] was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God” (Heb. 10:26-31).

“Through faith he [Moses] kept the passover, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them” (Heb. 11:28 ).

“Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears. For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more… See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven: Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven…Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: For our God is a consuming fire” (Heb. 12:14-19,25,26,28,29).

Wow, wow, and WOW! Where on earth is the space to believe “eternal security” or “once saved always saved” in these passages my friend?! Here we see absolutely nothing but a continuing flow of thought in the holy Ghost that signifies nothing but serious warning against the mindset that “being under grace” means that we have some kind of lock on eternal life. No wonder the apostle Paul admonished us to “work out [our] own salvation with fear and trembling” (Philip. 2:12).

These quotes are, as you can see, from one single book in the Bible. And make no mistake friend, this is a new testament book written under the grace dispensation. These kinds of sobering warnings were written due to the same reason that the following passage was written: “What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?” (Rom. 6:1,2).

And be certain that there is no scripture that contradicts the overwhelming evidence of truth that we have seen here from the Bible regarding the reality of the fear of God being very much intact under the new covenant, but rather confirmation. So why would I see fit to write about so much godly terror that we have seen conveyed from these passages from Hebrews? Simple. The fear of God has been more than anything else, eliminated by the cheery Christian gospel that prevails over the minds of God’s people today, not to mention over all of Christianity. There is a very good reason indeed my friend, that the scripture admonishes us to “Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling,” and many, many like admonitions and warnings as well (Psm. 2:11).

In conclusion let me echo the sure words of the great apostle Paul: “Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men” (II Cor. 5:9-11).

That sounds nothing at all like what is coveyed so widely today as “free grace.” And note once again that this passage is from the new testament. For some strange reason most people have been convinced that God has changed who and what he is since old testament times. He most assuredly has not (Mal. 4:6; Heb. 13:8; Jas. 1:17). There simply can be no contradiction of this sobering, powerful truth unless one is willing to make himself look quite foolish trying. May God be merciful to one and all. Amen.

Source
Re: Eternal Security? Free Grace?? by Snowwy: 1:03am On Apr 29, 2012
Indeed this is very sobering.
May we not undermine God's grace in our lives. Amen.
Re: Eternal Security? Free Grace?? by Nobody: 3:33am On Apr 29, 2012
Interesting piece. Question to you fros, have you sin now? If yes, there is NO MORE offering for sin that you committed..
Re: Eternal Security? Free Grace?? by Nobody: 4:00am On Apr 29, 2012
Are this the only scriptures on eternal INSECURITY that you can come up wit? Please add more?
Re: Eternal Security? Free Grace?? by Nobody: 7:36am On Apr 29, 2012
Reading through the post, i came to the conclusion,

1. The "Holy Spirit" is not the object i should look to after my salvation to keep me but rather "I" the miserable "I".
2. Sin is the emphasis to fear which has the power to trip me to hell!
3. Knowing that am forgiven does not have the power to make me Love Him, unlike the prostitute whom Jesus referred - He that knows he/she is forgiven much loves much!
4. And finally, that as He is in Heaven, am not so on earth!
5. You think about the above FROsbel

1 Like

Re: Eternal Security? Free Grace?? by 5solas(m): 4:18pm On Apr 29, 2012
hisblud: Are this the only scriptures on eternal INSECURITY that you can come up wit? Please add more?

grin
Re: Eternal Security? Free Grace?? by 5solas(m): 7:03pm On Apr 29, 2012

13 ¶ But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
@Frosbel
The above is how the Lord would have us comfort fellow believers, who have lost loved ones, who were believers. Any objections, Frosbel?
Re: Eternal Security? Free Grace?? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Apr 29, 2012
5solas:
@Frosbel
The above is how the Lord would have us comfort fellow believers, who have lost loved ones, who were believers. Any objections, Frosbel?

No objections !!

May I make a difference between Christiasn who err and are restored but who hate their sin and mourn over it to repentance , and then those who wallow in it , love it and make no attempts to dissociate from the same vile acts that sent Jesus to the Cross.
Re: Eternal Security? Free Grace?? by 5solas(m): 8:16pm On Apr 29, 2012
frosbel:

No objections !!

May I make a difference between Christiasn who err and are restored but who hate their sin and mourn over it to repentance , and then those who wallow in it , love it and make no attempts to dissociate from the same vile acts that sent Jesus to the Cross.

The latter that you refer to, could they be referred to as 'christians'? 'Saved persons'?

For the former, are they saved the whole time? At what point do they 'lose' salvation, 'regain' salvation?

I am surprised you do not have objections, do you realise that the bible makes no distinctions(in this passage) as you are trying to do here?

This lack of distinction should at least bother you.
Re: Eternal Security? Free Grace?? by Nobody: 12:47am On Apr 30, 2012
frosbel:

No objections !!

Which of the above christians lost the Holy Ghost and need Him to be restored?
Re: Eternal Security? Free Grace?? by Nobody: 5:55am On Apr 30, 2012
[b]Eternal Security must be the main thing, [/b]all the scriptures above you quoted are in the bible but i believe it is taken out of CONTEXT to mean ETERNAL INSECURITY. Thinking through, My Redeemer cannot be a schizoid and therefore this is my conclusion: I would rather believe in Eternal security and ask like paul, in the prayer of the Ephesians that the eyes of my understanding being enlightened to understand the gray "scriptures" than believe in eternal insecurity and have a fear (wrong fear and unbelieving), unloving relationship to God.

Eph 1:15-23
Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to usward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.
KJV

1 Like

Re: Eternal Security? Free Grace?? by 5solas(m): 8:33am On Apr 30, 2012
hisblud: Eternal Security must be the main thing, all the scriptures above you quoted are in the bible but i believe it is taken out of CONTEXT to mean ETERNAL INSECURITY. Thinking through, My Redeemer cannot be a schizoid and therefore this is my conclusion: I would rather believe in Eternal security and ask like paul, in the prayer of the Ephesians that the eyes of my understanding being enlightened to understand the gray "scriptures" than believe in eternal insecurity and have a fear (wrong fear and unbelieving), unloving relationship to God.

So true.
Re: Eternal Security? Free Grace?? by Enigma(m): 8:56am On Apr 30, 2012
hisblud: [b]Eternal Security must be the main thing, [/b]all the scriptures above you quoted are in the bible but i believe it is taken out of CONTEXT to mean ETERNAL INSECURITY. Thinking through, My Redeemer cannot be a schizoid and therefore this is my conclusion: I would rather believe in Eternal security and ask like paul, in the prayer of the Ephesians that the eyes of my understanding being enlightened to understand the gray "scriptures" than believe in eternal insecurity and have a fear (wrong fear and unbelieving), unloving relationship to God.

+1

cool

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Are You Facing Lots Of Problems In Life Call Prophet Daloomomule On 07081883989 / Does This Work / Meditate On God’s Word

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.