Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,673 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

Help! Don't Know Wat Career To Choose. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help! Don't Know Wat Career To Choose. (1981 Views)

Pls Wat Should I Do? I've Been Compelled Into A Serious Oath / He Became Victim Of #betrayal. He Lost His Career To #trust / Aviation: I Have A Dream 2 Go 2 Ncat 4 A Pilot Lisence But I Don't Know Wat 2 Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Don't Know Wat Career To Choose. by jonath0012(m): 1:07am On Apr 29, 2012
Hi nairaland land users,
I'm a physics education, final year student from a reputable university in Nigeria. My current cgpa is 4.02; hope to graduate with 4.20.

Originally, i chose Elect/elect as my first choice of course; physics science as my second choice, but was admitted to study physics education. I did not want to lose that opportunity because i had already spent four (4) years at home looking for admission; so, i accepted it.

Naturally, I'm good at teaching (some people have told me so.), but there is a problem; I do not want to teach at secondary level, but tertiary, particularly a university. I know i cannot afford to further my education after my first degree because i do not have a sponsorer, and that is more reason I'm confused about what to do after graduation.

I want to know if there is anything i can do with my B.sc(ed), aside from teaching, after graduation. What other career can suit my kind of background?

please i seriously need everyone's advice on this as i think about it every second of my life. All contributions are welcomed.
Re: Help! Don't Know Wat Career To Choose. by tanimola22: 1:35am On Apr 29, 2012
jonath0012: Hi nairaland land users,
I'm a physics education, final year student from a reputable university in Nigeria. My current cgpa is 4.02; hope to graduate with 4.20.

Originally, i chose Elect/elect as my first choice of course; physics science as my second choice, but was admitted to study physics education. I did not want to lose that opportunity because i had already spent four (4) years at home looking for admission; so, i accepted it.

Naturally, I'm good at teaching (some people have told me so.), but there is a problem; I do not want to teach at secondary level, but tertiary, particularly a university. I know i cannot afford to further my education after my first degree because i do not have a sponsorer, and that is more reason I'm confused about what to do after graduation.

I want to know if there is anything i can do with my B.sc(ed), aside from teaching, after graduation. What other career can suit my kind of background?

please i seriously need everyone's advice on this as i think about it every second of my life. All contributions are welcomed.

I can assure you that you are wasting your time thinking about an irrelevant thing 'every second of your life'. Besides working as a doctor, an engineer or a lawyer, you can do the same thing- or even better- that almost every other young graduate can do. That you studied physics education does not mean you will end up teaching simple pendulum and equations of motion at Ajangbadi High School, Okokomaiko.

If it is further studies you want to pursue, then start getting yourself familiar with scholarship application process so that you will hit the ground running after graduation. If it is job you want, then acquaint yourself with job sites so that you may know when suitable jobs become available.

Maintain or increase that your GPA and then get in touch with us 5 months before you graduate. If your aim is to pursue further studies, we will take it from there.

Until then, remain strong and blessed, and please think about more important things.

T22.
Re: Help! Don't Know Wat Career To Choose. by jonath0012(m): 2:19am On Apr 29, 2012
tanimola22:

I can assure you that you are wasting your time thinking about an irrelevant thing 'every second of your life'. Besides working as a doctor, an engineer or a lawyer, you can do the same thing- or even better- that almost every other young graduate can do. That you studied physics education does not mean you will end up teaching simple pendulum and equations of motion at Ajangbadi High School, Okokomaiko.

If it is further studies you want to pursue, then start getting yourself familiar with scholarship application process so that you will hit the ground running after graduation. If it is job you want, then acquaint yourself with job sites so that you may know when suitable jobs become available.

Maintain or increase that your GPA and then get in touch with us 5 months before you graduate. If your aim is to pursue further studies, we will take it from there.

Until then, remain strong and blessed, and please think about more important things.

T22.
Thanks for your timely response; it's very heartwarming. I will do all i can to maintain my present GPA , or even increase it if possible. We are in rain (2nd) semester at present, and my final exams come up by June 11th; and, convocation may hold between Nov/dec, 2012.
once again, thank a million time!
Re: Help! Don't Know Wat Career To Choose. by GboyegaD(m): 2:37am On Apr 29, 2012
If you are thinking about further studies because you want to pursue an academic career, I would suggest you start preparing for the GRE cos with it you may be fortunate to get a right school who has wonderful funding options (i.e. full tuition waiver and some stipends) in the US. However, the onus lies on you to start preparing yourself for the GRE and searching for schools and the funding options available. This would require much sacrifice on your end but truthfully, the reward worths the pain.
Re: Help! Don't Know Wat Career To Choose. by deenee: 11:46am On May 09, 2012
Excellent feedback from T22 and others. May I also add that there are a lot of grammatical lapses and weak sentences in your posts, that should not be tolerated from a potential graduate especially one along the lines of what you are studying(education). You might need to work on this because it raises a RED FLAG and could be a potential set back in the near term. All the best!
Re: Help! Don't Know Wat Career To Choose. by jonath0012(m): 12:08am On Aug 04, 2012
tanimola22:

T22.
First of all, i want to express my heartfelt grattude to you for the advice you gave when i came here the other time. I must confess i left nairaland a happy person that very day.

Now, i've graduated with CGPA of 4.12.; i still need your help to guide me in choosing a good career path.

Thanks
Re: Help! Don't Know Wat Career To Choose. by yemmyma: 11:54am On Aug 04, 2012
I am sure experienced people will come to your aid soon.

But one question is, before graduation, have you considered what you would actually want to do? or to better rephrase, what career path you want to continue to?

If you have an answer to the above, you make it easier for others to give you concise feedback.

Good luck,
Re: Help! Don't Know Wat Career To Choose. by Wondakid15: 3:30pm On Aug 10, 2012
cool coolphysics degree will probably lead u 2 teaching.....company job might b possible but lets b pratical who chooses a physics major over an engineer?
Re: Help! Don't Know Wat Career To Choose. by mackengift: 7:10pm On Aug 10, 2012
Having a certificate in education doesn't limit you to that field alone, because in the society today, your certificate gives you entrance into any other field or career. If you intend to go into the area you want, then try taking a vocational course in a training institution which wouldn't be expensive compare to a university, you will get a certificate of training and field experience which is an added advantage. With this you can build your career to the height you dream of.

(1) (Reply)

Hot Careers In Finance And Investments: Learn Major Intermediate Skills / Effective Communication Skills And Communicating Efficiently,professionally / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.