Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job In The United Kingdom? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job In The United Kingdom? (6378 Views)

About Relocating To Nigeria From The United States / What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist / What Are My Chances In The Labour Market. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job In The United Kingdom? by PrettyCindy(f): 7:00pm On May 02, 2012
Am asking this on behalf of a friend. She studied Medical Laboratory Science here in Nigeria and wants to go to UK for her Masters in Biomedical sciences (same course). But someone told her that getting a job in UK is extremely difficult now while someone else assured her that since she is in the health line and already have about 4years working experience in her field, she will be able to get a job. Both these persons live in the UK while she is still in Nigeria working out her admission.
Please if you live in UK, KINDLY THROW MORE LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE. She hopes to stay back there after the Masters and work but is a bit confused. Thanks.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job In The United Kingdom? by Coverdales: 9:02pm On May 02, 2012
Those two are both right but it depends on the pros and cons of it. But what I know now these days in the uk is that it is not so easy to get a job in the medical section for foreign doctors like back in five to ten years ago.

Plus, masters alone cannot get you a job in the uk because you still need to do a lot of adaption courses to incline you with medical practices in the uk and that cost a lot of money unless your friend that says you could get a job has a way to find you one.

Goodluck
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job In The United Kingdom? by maryini(f): 11:50am On May 12, 2012
Her chances are non-existent. UK post study work visa has been cancelled. If she still wants to study in the UK, she should do so knowing that she has to go home after.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job In The United Kingdom? by tanimola22: 1:13pm On May 12, 2012
maryini: Her chances are non-existent. UK post study work visa has been cancelled. If she still wants to study in the UK, she should do so knowing that she has to go home after.

After spending over 20k pounds? I will sue Cameron for everything cheesy
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job In The United Kingdom? by Thelonius: 7:59pm On May 12, 2012
I'll advice you come in and face your studies, it's increasingly difficult to get related work experience during your study, the 20 hours/week work limit restricts you to casual shift based jobs that are still difficult to get. You'll be so busy with school work anyway, work will be the last thing on your mind.

The UK government is serious with its move to plug all loopholes in the present immigration schemes, thus students and workers would still come in but their stay will not lead to permanent residency, this implies that the Post Study Work visa 'will' be scrapped.

Gain as much knowledge and skills as you can while you're at it, join professional bodies and do as many relevant certifications as you can and prepare for onward deployment of your skills in Nigeria. We need you here.

1 Like

Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job In The United Kingdom? by PrettyCindy(f): 8:32am On May 13, 2012
My sister said the same thing ooo. Life there is not as easy as we think.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job In The United Kingdom? by 90love(f): 2:27pm On May 21, 2012
If your friend decides to come over I promise it will be nothing but pure suffering. You can barely get work experience let alone getting a job. And in the uk companies are reluctant on employing foreign people because they are not 'eligible to live or work in the united kingdom' most forms you fill up for employment will ask that question first as soon as you tick no your application is automatically denied. Things are not as easy as people think.

Good luck though.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job In The United Kingdom? by Nobody: 10:00am On Jun 14, 2012
After a degree or masters in Biomedical science in the UK, u need to work with the NHS as a trainee for one year before u can practice in the UK.And the truth is at present there is no trainee post out there for even biomedical scientist who are citizens not to talk of u that is a foreigner..Alot of Biomedical scientist have settled for a different career and some have continued for future study. As a British citizen whoo is also a Biomedical scientist, I will advice ur friend to stay back in Nigeria or just come here and studdy and go back. otherwise time wastage..
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job In The United Kingdom? by Steve2farahgma: 7:59pm On Aug 23, 2013
I currently reside in the UK on a post study visa. The truth is that their's too many negativities towards foreigners when it comes to job selection. For me, I came in with three years work experience in IT/Telecom to study a masters degree. I thought it was the right decision for my career and I knew my chances were 50-50 but the decision turned out to be the mistake of my life. If your friend has a good job my advice is simple, tell her to build her career in nigeria and wait for the right opportunity to come. Its good to take risks in life but giving up a certain future for an uncertain one is stupidity and that was what I did because I had it all in Nigeria. Its too late for me to start counting my loses and I only wish others do not make the same.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job In The United Kingdom? by rudian(f): 10:01am On Aug 24, 2013
I'm planning on getting a PHD program in counselling psychology from a Canadian university, does anyone have an idea on what empolyment opporturnities are like after schooling?

(1) (Reply)

ICAN 2014 May Diet / MASSIVE UNEMPLOYMENT LOOMS MTN NIGERIA: 4,500 STAFF TO LOSE THEIR JOBS!!! / Anyone Knows How Much Access Bank Pays Its Front Line Interns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.