Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

What Will You Do? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Will You Do? (1204 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Will You Do? by lurkee(f): 11:07pm On May 02, 2012
**Hypothetical situation**

Say you are about to graduate in Electrical Engineering and you have a job offer from a top multi-national engineering company in the UK.

Will you accept the job offer and stay in a country where your chances of being wealthy is small but you get an easy stable life

or

move to Nigeria to do an NYSC and hope to start a career that will potentially generate a lot of wealth and opportunities for wealth later on but deal with boko haram and other instabilities in the economy ?

What will you do undecided?
Re: What Will You Do? by yamakuza: 11:37pm On May 02, 2012
lurkee: **Hypothetical situation**

Say you are about to graduate in Electrical Engineering and you have a job offer from a top multi-national engineering company in the UK.

Will you accept the job offer and stay in a country where your chances of being wealthy is small but you get an easy stable life

or

move to Nigeria to do an NYSC and hope to start a career that will potentially generate a lot of wealth and opportunities for wealth later on but deal with boko haram and other instabilities in the economy ?

A bird in hand, in a country where your chances of being wealthy is small but not nil, is worth 2 in the bush called Nigeria.

*Hypothetically*
Re: What Will You Do? by tanimola22: 12:19am On May 03, 2012

or

NYSC is not a good reason to substitute certainty with uncertainty. I must be insane, inane and inept to leave a sure job in the UK for NYSC in naija. There are for sure other ways of doing the NYSC thingy without actually being there physically. This is no news.

The companies that make it possible for their staff to 'generate a lot of wealth' in naija are essentially the MNCs that have their roots in the UK and other developed countries in Europe and North America. If I am so bent on coming to naija, I will simply get employed by one of those companies in the UK and then force them to transfer me to naija, or stay there and apply to one of their naija offices.

Anybody that accepts option B is someone who is so risk loving that his/her coefficient of risk aversion is essentially -∞. cheesy

T22

2 Likes

Re: What Will You Do? by AjanleKoko: 8:17am On May 03, 2012

or

Highly improbable and illogical situation.
What would you do in Nigeria, join the Peace Corps?
Re: What Will You Do? by lurkee(f): 8:52am On May 03, 2012
Thank you all for your inputs.

The point of coming back to do NYSC is that it is a necessary evil to begin a career in this country as an employee. After NYSC, I, hypothetically, will be looking for a "good" job.

Lets also assume there were 2 friends in a similar situation in the 1980s when it was relatively easy to cross the pond. Let's name then A and B.

Mr A got the opportunity to move to the UK and started a career in the medical field as a nurse.

Mr B (lets assume he is my father) stayed in Nigeria chose to start his career there.

At the beginning of their careers, Mr A had a nice flat and a car and moved his whole family abroad to meet him later on. While Mr B lived in a face-me-I-face-you with his unemployed wife and their first child.

Many years later, Mr A has managed to buy a house in London but he is stuck in London till he finishes his mortgage and his kids got sent to university through the government student loan process. Mr B on the other hand, went on to become the CEO of a successful company, managed to send 3 of his children abroad for their universities and has retired from a corporate job and he his now working for himself.

Would a fear of ending up like Mr A compared to other peers that chose to stay in Nigeria be a logical one? undecided
Re: What Will You Do? by AjanleKoko: 8:59am On May 03, 2012
lurkee: Thank you all for your inputs.

The point of coming back to do NYSC is that it is a necessary evil to begin a career in this country as an employee. After NYSC, I, hypothetically, will be looking for a "good" job.

Lets also assume there were 2 friends in a similar situation in the 1980s when it was relatively easy to cross the pond. Let's name then A and B.

Mr A got the opportunity to move to the UK and started a career in the medical field as a nurse.

Mr B (lets assume he is my father) stayed in Nigeria chose to start his career there.

At the beginning of their careers, Mr A had a nice flat and a car and moved his whole family abroad to meet him later on. While Mr B lived in a face-me-I-face-you with his unemployed wife and their first child.

Many years later, Mr A has managed to buy a house in London but he is stuck in London till he finishes his mortgage and his kids got sent to university through the government student loan process. Mr B on the other hand, went on to become the CEO of a successful company, managed to send 3 of his children abroad for their universities and has retired from a corporate job and he his now working for himself.

Would a fear of ending up like Mr A compared to other peers that chose to stay in Nigeria be a logical one? undecided

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
What kind of elementary school folk tale is this?
Re: What Will You Do? by yamakuza: 9:01am On May 03, 2012
1. Like you said, that was in the 80s. Things must surely be different now!

2. Luckily, you have the experience of Mr A to guide you, so you wont necessarily make the same mistakes and get trapped like he is.

3. I say pick the fine points from both stories. Go over there, get citizenship/visa for your family, make money, send money home, build a country home, retire in style or start a business in naija and use it to pay off your UK loans.
Re: What Will You Do? by jaybee3(m): 9:01am On May 03, 2012
lurkee: Thank you all for your inputs.

How many Mr B's do you think you'd be able to find in Nigeria these days?
In the current worldwide state of troubling unemployment figures, it had be suicidal for a graduate with no experience to live certainty for uncertainty.
The only sane way to go about it is follow Mr Tanimola's suggestion. Get the necessary experience then move back as an experienced employee with loads to offer.

1 Like

Re: What Will You Do? by lurkee(f): 9:15am On May 03, 2012
jay bee:
How many Mr B's do you think you'd be able to find in Nigeria these days?
In the current worldwide state of troubling unemployment figures, it had be suicidal for a graduate with no experience to live certainty for uncertainty.
The only sane way to go about it is follow Mr Tanimola's suggestion. Get the necessary experience then move back as an experienced employee with loads to offer.

The problem with starting and moving back for me is that it will probably not happen. Once I start work here, I will probably get too scared to move back after a number of years. Also by then I will be married probably to someone in the UK so that is that. If there is a time make a decision it is now. I wanted to hear from people who might have experienced something similar either themselves or through someone else.
Re: What Will You Do? by jaybee3(m): 9:26am On May 03, 2012
lurkee:

The problem with starting and moving back for me is that it will probably not happen. Once I start work here, I will probably get too scared to move back after a number of years. Also by then I will be married probably to someone in the UK so that is that. If there is a time make a decision it is now. I wanted to hear from people who might have experienced something similar either themselves or through someone else.
If you have set goals the I'm afraid you have to motivate yourself and stay determined to actualise them. It's really that simple to be honest.
Nothing stops you from accepting the job and immediately start with applications to the mnc as an experienced graduate.
Do you have a BEng or MSc in Engineering?

Another thing I'm worryingly getting is the fact that you have conveniently eliminated the risk of not actually getting a job in Nigeria. How would you go about managing that should in case that materialise?
Re: What Will You Do? by lurkee(f): 9:31am On May 03, 2012
jay bee:
If you have set goals the I'm afraid you have to motivate yourself and stay determined to actualise them. It's really that simple to be honest.
Nothing stops you from accepting the job and immediately start with applications to the mnc as an experienced graduate.
Do you have a BEng or MSc in Engineering?

Another thing I'm worryingly getting is the fact that you have conveniently eliminated the risk of not actually getting a job in Nigeria. How would you go about managing that should in case that materialise?

I will graduate with an MEng. which is on the same level as an MSc here.

I am certain of a job in Nigeria. The thought of being unemployed has not really entered my head. I suppose it is possible but I think eventually I will get something in Nigeria if I choose to start there.

(1) (Reply)

Short Service Commision: Nigerian Military / If You Don’t Do These Now, You’ll Regret 10 Years Later. / When Your Employer Owes You Salary. What Do You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.