Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,851 members, 7,817,519 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? (8031 Views)

Spectranet 4g Lte And Swift 4g Lte Browsing Free On Pc With Zero Naira (fastest) / Am I The Only One Suffering From Smile 4G LTE. / Does Hibernating A Laptop Diminish Overall Battery Life Over Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by lumzi23: 8:27pm On May 04, 2012
I was in a car on Aminu Kano crescent, passing Libraville Crescent, when I saw the these 4G LTE (Long Term Evolution) ads plastered on the walls of the buliding joining the two crescents. The building whose outside walls the ads are plastered on are rumored to belong to a new telecommunications company entering the Nigerian market (rumor is pretty much confirmed at this point). I will shed tears if it is proper LTE because that will mean we will FINALLY have TRUE broadband performance/speeds at a (hopefully) reasonable price.

I will snap pics and post next time I'm in that area again (or maybe someone else can help and do so).
Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by samir101ng(m): 11:41pm On May 05, 2012
@lumzi23,

My brother, you must learn by now to lower your expectations when it comes to somethings in Nigeria. Hopefully, we pray that we doubting thomases can be proved wrong. As far as i am concerned, true 3G speeds is more than enough for our normal day to day use. HSDPA or 3.5G as offered by MTN and Glo has a therotical speed of 42Mbps (Megabits). Dude, that's roughly closely to over 2MB/s using Internet Download Manager. We are not even talking about Airtel 3.75G or Etisalat HSPA+. If i can get that speed consistently at an affordable price i would be a very happy man. LTE is just hype as far as i am concerned. But lets wait and see and not jump to hasty conclusions yet. Just hope its affordable and won't cost an arm and leg.
Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by lumzi23: 9:18pm On May 06, 2012
samir101ng: @lumzi23,

My brother, you must learn by now to lower your expectations when it comes to somethings in Nigeria. Hopefully, we pray that we doubting thomases can be proved wrong. As far as i am concerned, true 3G speeds is more than enough for our normal day to day use. HSDPA or 3.5G as offered by MTN and Glo has a therotical speed of 42Mbps (Megabits). Dude, that's roughly closely to over 2MB/s using Internet Download Manager. We are not even talking about Airtel 3.75G or Etisalat HSPA+. If i can get that speed consistently at an affordable price i would be a very happy man. LTE is just hype as far as i am concerned. But lets wait and see and not jump to hasty conclusions yet. Just hope its affordable and won't cost an arm and leg.
'

You are right, if the 3G options we received provided true 3G speeds at a consistent performance, it would be okay. Not perfect but okay for the moment. If they provided such speeds with a healthy number of monthly Gigabytes (like 10 - 20 GB) and a decent price, I would be mostly satisfied. I say mostly because this kind of internet should be support (IMO) not the main internet. The main type should be proper wired broadband. The reason I am so over eager for this 4G is because I am thinking that even if the speed is not proper LTE, it should be better than what we have (even if the Nigerian factor affects it).
Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by jjjkkkooo: 12:10am On May 07, 2012
You don't need to post d pix of d building, I pass by it everyday cos its close to my office. Pls don't be too joyous yet. Dat 4LTE may not deliver anything worthwhile. We r still in Nigeria, we r still praying for things to work as they are supposed to.
Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by Djcn: 3:19pm On May 07, 2012
There is great need for LTE in nigeria especially in the big 3 cities. Lagos, Port Harcourt and Abuja. It is true that the 3g network in nigeria is crappy but deploying LTE will have some advantages.........as we should expect an increase in connection speed even with a crappy LTE.

The truth of the matter is that Nigeria telcos are very good at marketing what they dont know, and dont have, as far as i'm concerned there is no 4g network in this country...all the 4g jingles are marketing hype. As Lumiz said we need to develope fixed broadband and complement with mobile broadband, mobile broadband is expensive everywhere.

For those in eko, expect a state-wide wifi coverage soon if all goes well.

1 Like

Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:05pm On May 07, 2012
Djcn:

For those in eko, expect a state-wide wifi coverage soon if all goes well.

by whom? public?

the way dem go take kill the thing ehn grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by COMPAQ(m): 10:52pm On May 08, 2012
LTE!! That would be a tall order. By the way HSDPA from MTN has a theoretical max speed of 7.2Mbps, likewise Glo. HSPA+ has a theoretical max of 21Mbps, while DC-HSPA+ (Dual Channel)has a theoretical max of 42Mbps. For now, only Airtel and Etisalat operate HSPA+. MTN and Glo still operate HSDPA. If they had stepped up, I'm sure they'd let people know about it. Besides we should also realise that we are all still limited by the hardware that we carry!!
Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by samir101ng(m): 10:14am On May 17, 2012
COMPAQ: LTE!! That would be a tall order. By the way HSDPA from MTN has a theoretical max speed of 7.2Mbps, likewise Glo. HSPA+ has a theoretical max of 21Mbps, while DC-HSPA+ (Dual Channel)has a theoretical max of 42Mbps. For now, only Airtel and Etisalat operate HSPA+. MTN and Glo still operate HSDPA. If they had stepped up, I'm sure they'd let people know about it. Besides we should also realise that we are all still limited by the hardware that we carry!!

Dude, am rocking an unlocked Huawei E367 Modem (28.8Mbps) for my laptop and using the HTC One X (21Mbps) as a wireless hotspot when i need wifi connection. Lets just say am blazing on any network with a good 3G signal. wink wink However, i do agree with you, many people are limited by their hardware. I had to shell out some dough to get these hardware but as a download freak its worth it.
Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by igmata: 1:35am On May 18, 2012
I JUST DROVE ROUND THE BUILDING LIKE 5 TIMES TRYING TO GET THE OFFICIAL NAME OF THE COMPANY BUT COULDN'T SEE ANY COMPANY NAME OR LOGO... THROUGH AM GOING THERE 2MOROW TO INQUIRE..GENERALLY YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT, WITH THE WAY INTERNET IS IN NIGERIA, OUR HOPES SHOULDN'T BE AT THAT HIGH, EVEN AFTER THE SERVICE LAUNCHES CAUSE THEY ALWAYS CRANK UP THE SPEED DURING LAUNCH TO GET GREAT REVIEWS, THEN THEY SLOWLY SLOW YOU DOWN TO THE POINT YOU CAN MAKE TIE BEFORE A VIDEO FINISHES BUFFERING.
Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by jdoss: 9:51am On Jun 03, 2012
I found this article, not sure if same, but it talks about Abuja. Never heard of Zoda Fones:

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=216497
Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by samfibby(m): 2:37pm On Jun 03, 2012
Folks in abj, why are u so in a hurry to have LTE deployed. For your information, LTE 4G has a difficult network archiecture to inplement, this xplains why most telcos around the world shy away from it. Maybe you guys should crave for WIMAX 4G instead which is widely been deployed by wisps in lagos. In countries where fibre already exists and widely deployed, they dont touch these technolologies, except when deployed in rural areas where there is less market and absence of fibre connectivity. Just to noe, both
Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by samfibby(m): 2:39pm On Jun 03, 2012
Folks in abj, why are u so in a hurry to have LTE deployed. For your information, LTE 4G has a difficult network archiecture to inplement, this xplains why most telcos around the world shy away from it. Maybe you guys should crave for WIMAX 4G instead which is widely been deployed by wisps in lagos. In countries where fibre already exists and widely deployed, they dont touch these technolologies, except when deployed in rural areas where there is less market and absence of fibre connectivity. Just to note, both WIMAX 4G and LTE 4G are widely accepted 802.16 IEEE standard. Either of the two is acceptable, we have 802.16e already on ground and we s till dont get to browse at faster sppeed, why then ask for a more complicated technology.
Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by igmata: 4:48am On Jun 05, 2012
We dont have any 4g lte in Nigeria, glo just lied... 4g lte services are restricted to certain frequencies on for the network and phone.. 4g operates in the US under 700mhz and the ipad 3 is locked to that frequency, this is why 4g services dont work on the ipad 3 in any other country besides the US, not even in Europe ( i think they use 2.3ghz for their 4g lte frequency)... I dont know what this company is truly gonna offer but time will tell.
Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by SirOkonzy(m): 5:50am On Sep 29, 2012
This is d pix......

Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by orgasticdance: 3:50pm On May 06, 2013
Still has not opened to customers, just checked at their office today. Coming soon for over a year? SMH
Re: 4G LTE Network Coming Abuja (and Maybe Nigeria Overall)? by itsmaleekbaby(m): 1:35pm On Aug 14, 2017
A new Banner has just been mounted called ZODAFONES 4G/TDD+. Maybe they are ready for operations now..

(1) (Reply)

SOLD SOLD Asus Notebook, I7, 2gb Nvidia, 8gb Ram, 1tb HDD, Keyboard Light SOLD / Computer Hangs At "Verifying Dmi Pool Data" / Apple To Launch 'iPad Mini'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.