Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,987 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

Cultural-Political Attire From Different States - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cultural-Political Attire From Different States (25943 Views)

Chinese Man Rocking Yoruba Traditional Attire (Photos) / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria / Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 1:06am On May 06, 2012
There are definately stereotypes that arise when dealing with cultural-politcal attire. For example, some may think that every Northerner wears an agbada, or that every Igbo man wears a red cap but this is definately not true.

Let's relax and let the photos do the talking. cool
Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 1:07am On May 06, 2012
Efik, Cross Rivers State.

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 1:18am On May 06, 2012
Urhobo, Delta State.

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 1:23am On May 06, 2012
Hausa, Sokoto State.

[img]http://naijalit.files./2012/01/hausa.jpg[/img]
Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 1:40am On May 06, 2012
Yoruba, South Western Nigeria.

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 1:46am On May 06, 2012
Yoruba, South Western Nigeria.

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by Nobody: 1:51am On May 06, 2012
And P.S, "cultural-politicians" in Ondo do not dress the same as those in Lagos or Osun.

1 Like

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 1:52am On May 06, 2012
Igbo, Abia State.

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 1:55am On May 06, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
And P.S, "cultural-politicians" in Ondo do not dress the same as those in Lagos or Osun.

That's exaclty why I made this thread.

Please just relax and enjoy the photos.
Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by Nobody: 1:55am On May 06, 2012
odumchi: Yoruba, South Western Nigeria.

You can keep deleting. This is not Yoruba political cultural attire.
This is a masquerade performance.

1 Like

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by Nobody: 1:56am On May 06, 2012
odumchi:

That's exaclty why I made this thread.

Please just relax and enjoy the photos.

It doesn't make sense to post a masquerade performance as a political attire. Your motive is quite clear.
A Yoruba person is trying to correct what you incorrectly asserted into the Yoruba political sphere, yet you want to delete because ignorance is bliss.

1 Like

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 2:00am On May 06, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

It doesn't make sense to post a masquerade performance as a political attire. Your motive is quite clear.
A Yoruba person is trying to correct what you incorrectly asserted into the Yoruba political sphere, yet you want to delete because ignorance is bliss.

This thread is for anything article of clothing worn as a political or cultural emblem of these groups. And besides, it was totally uncalled for to call me a tribalist. I'm saying it again, please relax and enjoy the photos.
Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by Nobody: 2:04am On May 06, 2012
odumchi:

This thread is for anything article of clothing worn as a political or cultural emblem of these groups. And besides, it was totally uncalled for to call me a tribalist. I'm saying it again, please relax and enjoy the photos.

So a masquerade performance is the best you could post? Why not just leave Yoruba states alone, I'll post them if you need help since you know nothing about the people. Look at the previous states you posted and the SW ones. I understand that you don't know what you post, but since you're being corrected by a Yoruba person, take heed and don't plead ignorance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 2:06am On May 06, 2012
Tiv, Benue State.

1 Like

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 2:14am On May 06, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

So a masquerade performance is the best you could post? Why not just leave Yoruba states alone, I'll post them if you need help since you know nothing about the people. Look at the previous states you posted and the SW ones. I understand that you don't know what you post, but since you're being corrected by a Yoruba person, take heed and don't plead ignorance.

Take it easy. Not every rubber band has the same elasticity. If you wish to contribute, please do so.
Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by Nobody: 2:16am On May 06, 2012
odumchi:

Take it easy. Not every rubber band has the same elasticity. If you wish to contribute, please do so.

On an ignorant thread like this?

1 Like

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by tpia5: 2:21am On May 06, 2012
odumchi: Yoruba, South Western Nigeria.

kente cloth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kente_cloth

IS GHANAIAN, NOT YORUBA.

3 Likes

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 2:26am On May 06, 2012
Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by tpia5: 2:34am On May 06, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

So it's not even Yoruba.

kente cloth is known everywhere in the world, to be from ghana.

AAs also use it but i assume they know this as well. Bo de wu won kan ma mo.

@ odumchi

any particular reason why you decided to post a photo of a ghanaian juju priest and call it yoruba?

would you be ok with people posting similar pictures and labelling them igbo?

just asking.

1 Like

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 2:40am On May 06, 2012
tpia@:

kente cloth is known everywhere in the world, to be from ghana.

AAs also use it but i assume they know this as well.

@ odumchi

any particular reason why you decided to post a photo of a ghanaian juju priest and call it yoruba?

would you be ok with people posting similar pictures and labelling them igbo?

just asking.

I'm not interested in whether or not the cloth is from Ghana or Nigeria. That photo was taken during a Yoruba festival. You can see it for yourself here: http://www.afritopic.com/gallery/?p=123

I wouldn't like to see this thread derailed, please. Enough of this and back to the topic.
Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by Nobody: 2:43am On May 06, 2012
odumchi:

I'm not interested in whether or not the cloth is from Ghana or Nigeria. That photo was taken during a Yoruba festival. You can see it for yourself here: http://www.afritopic.com/gallery/?p=123

I wouldn't like to see this thread derailed, please. Enough of this and back to the topic.

So a festival is not cultural-political? While the rest of your pictures were something "official"? Does that make sense to you?

Two yoruba ppl corrected you that it's not a Yoruba cultural attire, yet you're still acting ignorant.

2 Likes

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 2:44am On May 06, 2012
Bini, Edo State.

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by tpia5: 2:47am On May 06, 2012
odumchi:

I wouldn't like to see this thread derailed please. Enough of this and back to the topic.

i hope you're mature enough to take to correction.

the fact that you lifted a photo from somewhere which was labelled yoruba, doesnt make it yoruba.

please use your common sense, and if by any chance you have no idea what yoruba is supposed to be, then folks are telling you now.

kente cloth is supposed to have instant recognition anywhere, as being of ghanaian origin.

whoever that babalawo was, the fact that you saw him in a picture at a supposedly yoruba festival, doesnt mean he's yoruba. His kente cloth should have alerted you to this fact immediately, and you shouldnt have waited to be told.

check again- there might be someone dressed in igbo attire dancing at the same festival- does that make them yoruba.

please edit your post and picture and stop annoying people.

2 Likes

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by PhysicsQED(m): 2:49am On May 06, 2012
Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 2:54am On May 06, 2012
Ibibio, Akwa Ibom State.

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 3:00am On May 06, 2012
PhysicsQED: https://www.nairaland.com/158215/pictures-nigeria-traditional-attire

Although these threads are similar, that one is nearly 4 years old. This one is focused on the attire that different groups use to represent themselves, and how such attire differs from place to place. There isn't one solid Northern attire or a solid Easterm attire.

Besides, similar threads can exist as long as they are spaced by a year or more.
Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by PhysicsQED(m): 3:02am On May 06, 2012
Ok.
Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 3:03am On May 06, 2012
Hausa, Kano State.

Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by Nobody: 3:08am On May 06, 2012
odumchi:

Although these threads are similar, that one is nearly 4 years old. This one is focused on the attire that different groups use to represent themselves, and how such attire differs from place to place. There isn't one solid Northern attire or a solid Easterm attire.

Besides, similar threads can exist as long as they are spaced by a year or more.

Are you kidding me? So because it's 4 years old, it's insignificant?
And that thread isn't solidly one one region. . .
Re: Cultural-Political Attire From Different States by odumchi: 3:09am On May 06, 2012
Ijaw, Rivers State.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aminat Abiodun, Iyalode Of Ibadan Is Dead / Traditional Nigerian Wedding. / Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.