Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,716 members, 7,820,499 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism (2180 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by lekkie073(m): 8:19am On May 06, 2012
i have noticed a perceptional view equating atheists and agnostics in most forums. While an atheist disbelieves the existence of a supreme being, an agnostic is a person who is undecided about the existence of a supreme being....in otherwords, if a religioner is on the right and an atheist is on the left, the agnostic is midpoint......
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by ea7(m): 9:31am On May 06, 2012
it doesnt matter. All atheists are agnostic. The word agnostic was coined to avoid discrimination against those who were atheists. It's a distinction without a difference.
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by Nobody: 9:56am On May 06, 2012
ea7: it doesnt matter. All atheists are agnostic. The word agnostic was coined to avoid discrimination against those who were atheists. It's a distinction without a difference.
You're on some good shit, I tell you..

- Theists believe the number above is the solution to a problem.
- Christians believe the problem was 1+1
- Muslims believe the problem was the root of 4
- Others have different questions they believe led to this number.
- Agnostic theists (which closely defines me) believe there was probably a question, but it's impossible for anyone to know what question.

-Non-theists (atheists) believe 2 came about on its own. THERE was no question.

THIS IS MY OPINION. Others may choose to give more indepth explanations.
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by lekkie073(m): 10:09am On May 06, 2012
ea7: it doesnt matter. All atheists are agnostic. The word agnostic was coined to avoid discrimination against those who were atheists. It's a distinction without a difference.
Am trying to show d distinction and u r still confusing urself....
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by mkmyers45(m): 10:15am On May 06, 2012
Yes, there are very diffrent..I think Agnosticism is just bieng confused at a crossroad of belief and non-belief...
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by ea7(m): 1:02pm On May 06, 2012
lekkie073:
Am trying to show d distinction and u r still confusing urself....
i said, you made a distinction witout pointing out a fundamental difference. Let's point out this, are you agnostic to thor? Yes, but you still dont live in his shadow do you. Atheists say that god PROBABLY does not exist or he cannot be proven to exist beyond a reasonable doubt. Besides to the chrissie, hell's for both of us anyway.
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by logicboy: 2:06pm On May 06, 2012
The confusion here is that there are different types of agnostics.

- those who are the crossroads of belief and non-belief.

-those who want evidence before saying there is a god or there is no god. these people are not so different from atheists
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by lekkie073(m): 2:23pm On May 06, 2012
logicboy: The confusion here is that there are different types of agnostics.

- those who are the crossroads of belief and non-belief.

-those who want evidence before saying there is a god or there is no god. these people are not so different from atheists

They r totally different. If i neither belong to pdp now acn, am i not differeng to a pdp or acn follower? Use ur head b4 u vomit....
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by logicboy: 2:30pm On May 06, 2012
lekkie073:
They r totally different. If i neither belong to pdp now acn, am i not differeng to a pdp or acn follower? Use ur head b4 u vomit....

??

Your analogy is quite irrelevant to the topic at hand. Did I say there is no difference between atheism and agnosticism .. They are different but have some overlaps depending on the type of agnostic one is.

You are very dull
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by plaetton: 2:49pm On May 06, 2012
An agnostic is an athiests who still in the closet. For a long time, I called myself an agnostic because, subconsciously, I was afraid to admit or face the facts that god might simply not exist. Over time, I began to accept the the existence of god as a NOTION rather than as a fact.
No disrepect to agnostics, but I think its a state of confusion where one feels safe to be neutral. Once you reject the judeo-christian concepts of devinity, even if you still hold on to the belief in a supreme creator and source of all things,as long as you agree that it is just a NOTION, then we are all on the same side.lol.
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by Callotti: 2:53pm On May 06, 2012
lekkie073: i have noticed a perceptional view equating atheists and agnostics in most forums. While an atheist disbelieves the existence of a supreme being, an agnostic is a person who is undecided about the existence of a supreme being....in otherwords, if a religioner is on the right and an atheist is on the left, the agnostic is midpoint......

Exactly! kiss
More so. . . an Agnostic believes WHATEVER he or she wants to believe ACCORDING to his or her comfort zones.
Agnostics can change to suit his or her environment. I LOVE IT! kiss
My own God exists o.
My own God is created in my own image and likeness. One of tolerance and no bull-shyting!
It is MOST DEFINITELY not a CHRISTIAN one.
Hallelujah! cool

1 Like

Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by logicboy: 2:55pm On May 06, 2012
Callotti:

Exactly! kiss
My own God exists o.
My own God is created in my own image and likeness. One of tolerance and no bull-shyting!
It is MOST DEFINITELY not a CHRISTIAN one.
Hallelujah! cool

Amen
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by Callotti: 2:59pm On May 06, 2012
logicboy:

Amen

X100 kiss
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by Callotti: 3:03pm On May 06, 2012
As an Agnostic. . . I am NOT an Atheist in the closet o!
I just love the freedom of being a 'FREE THINKER'!
I don't wanno be restricted in a box or to one label.
I LOVE TO THINK WHAT I FEEL. . . SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND DYNAMISM!

I hate a 'follow-follow' life or existence WITH PROPHETS AND SUCH SHYTTY CONCEPTS! kiss

MOST IMPORTANTLY. . . I DETEST GROUP-THINK! kiss

I love individualistic sets of beliefs. An Agnostic is a FREE THINKER.

Yeah. . . my husband and kids have gone to church. . . AND MOMMY STAYS HOME. . . FREEEEEEEEEE TO THINK! No stress!cool
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by lekkie073(m): 3:04pm On May 06, 2012
logicboy:

??

Your analogy is quite irrelevant to the topic at hand. Did I say there is no difference between atheism and agnosticism .. They are different but have some overlaps depending on the type of agnostic one is.

You are very dull
I may be dull to a level but definitely i know am wiser than u and ur siblings put together!
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by lekkie073(m): 3:11pm On May 06, 2012
Callotti: As an Agnostic. . . I am NOT an Atheist in the closet o!

I hate a 'follow-follow' life or existence WITH PROPHETS AND SUCH SHYTTY CONCEPTS! kiss

I love an individualistic sets of beliefs. An Agnostic is a FREE THINKER.

Yeah. . . my husband and kids have gone to church. . . AND MOMMY STAYS HOME. . . FREEEEEEEEEE TO THINK! No stress!cool
U surely know urself. Unlike Someppl who cannot really fathom who they are. U can name urself 'wise' and still be a foolish person.
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by Nobody: 3:26pm On May 06, 2012
Callotti: As an Agnostic. . . I am NOT an Atheist in the closet o!

I love an individualistic sets of beliefs. An Agnostic is a FREE THINKER.

Thank you... may your GOD image bless you grin grin grin
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by logicboy: 3:39pm On May 06, 2012
lekkie073:
I may be dull to a level but definitely i know am wiser than u and ur siblings put together!

you sound hurt

[img]http://britfa.gs/101/src/132743288451.jpg[/img]
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by lekkie073(m): 3:49pm On May 06, 2012
logicboy:

you sound hurt

[img]http://britfa.gs/101/src/132743288451.jpg[/img]
Am never hurt.....i just give it back the way its given to me
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by DeepSight(m): 4:09pm On May 06, 2012
plaetton: An agnostic is an athiests who still in the closet.

Oh no no, the Agnostic says he cannot know and does not know: and indeed the matter remains unknowable. That is not atheism.

For a long time, I called myself an agnostic because, subconsciously, I was afraid to admit or face the facts that god might simply not exist. Over time, I began to accept the the existence of god as a NOTION rather than as a fact.
No disrepect to agnostics, but I think its a state of confusion where one feels safe to be neutral. Once you reject the judeo-christian concepts of devinity, even if you still hold on to the belief in a supreme creator and source of all things,as long as you agree that it is just a NOTION, then we are all on the same side.lol.

Oh no no no again, you are no atheist: you are well known to be a breed of pantheist.
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by plaetton: 4:15pm On May 06, 2012
But i do not ,with certainty, believe in a creator like all thiests. i believe that the universe most likely did not need a creator. Doesn't that make me an athiest?
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 06, 2012
Deep Sight:

Oh no no, the Agnostic says he cannot know and does not know: and indeed the matter remains unknowable. That is not atheism.

Why is it difficult for people to understand this?
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by lekkie073(m): 4:39pm On May 06, 2012
musKeeto:
Why is it difficult for people to understand this?
Som ppl understand but always feel like adding or removing from laid down facts....a syndrome refered to as over-sabi..
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by Avicenna: 4:48pm On May 06, 2012
Left to me, I don't really see much difference. There are subtle distinction tho. I m a freethinker too but I still accept the possibility of a God( not the religious version anyway).
All these atheists,agnostic and so on, I believe are in same boat. Different but still very similar. The little distinctions notwithstanding.
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 06, 2012
Avicenna: Left to me, I don't really see much difference. There are subtle distinction tho. I m a freethinker too but I still accept the possibility of a God( not the religious version anyway).
All these atheists,agnostic and so on, I believe are in same boat. Different but still very similar. The little distinctions notwithstanding.
And by the world's system of giving tags to everything, that makes you an agnostic theist...
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by 2good(m): 5:03pm On May 06, 2012
plaetton: An agnostic is an athiests who still in the closet. For a long time, I called myself an agnostic because, subconsciously, I was afraid to admit or face the facts that god might simply not exist. Over time, I began to accept the the existence of god as a NOTION rather than as a fact.

I disagree with you. I am agnostic and completely debunk all religious gods because they are illogical to accept based on rational reasoning. However, I have no proof that there is no possibility of a supreme being out there and if he exist, I don't give a damn. So because I refused to accept religion as a possible solution to something I'm not 100% sure of, I am an agnostic or better still, atheistic agnostic.
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by 2good(m): 5:05pm On May 06, 2012
Avicenna: Left to me, I don't really see much difference. There are subtle distinction tho. I m a freethinker too but I still accept the possibility of a God( not the religious version anyway).
very true. We reason in the same direction except the atheist is a little bit to the extreme
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by Avicenna: 5:08pm On May 06, 2012
musKeeto:
And by the world's system of giving tags to everything, that makes you an agnostic theist...
Na jus possibility o. That's the problem, every distinction no matter how subtle, people must have a word for it. I still maintain my atheism. Some may think I'm confused about their meanings but I'm not the type to sweat irrelevant distinction.
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by Nobody: 5:12pm On May 06, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nice one.. I hate tags also.. can't people just be? grin
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by Avicenna: 5:13pm On May 06, 2012
2good:
very true. We reason in the same direction except the atheist is a little bit to the extreme
Most atheists hold that view. Since its not possible to disprove the existence of a God( whether particle,equation or even a indifferent conscious being),you cannot scientifically completely discard the possibility.
Atheism covers all of the distinctions. That's why I am one. If you ignore the distinctions, they are basically almost the same. (All of the distinctions disagree with the religious Gods)
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by AlvinPlantinga: 5:15pm On May 06, 2012
Throughout history the distinction between Atheism and Agnosticism has been very clear.But in the recent past, subcategories of have emerged.for example Strong Agnosticism and Weak Agnosticism.A strong Agnostic does not know whether the God exists.But, he goes further and says no one can ever know.It is indeed a confounding position since it lays claim a fact or knowledge of facts that renders any quest to prove the existence or non-existence of God to be futile.

A weak Agnostic on the other hand simply says he/she does not know whether God exists or not.Unlike a strong agnostic, the weak agnostic does not take on any unnecesary burden of proving why the existence of God is unknowable.
Re: Confusing Atheism And Agnosticism by AlvinPlantinga: 5:20pm On May 06, 2012
Avicenna:
M[b]ost atheists hold that view. Since its not possible to disprove the existence of a God( whether particle,equation or even a indifferent conscious being),[/b]you cannot scientifically completely discard the possibility.
Atheism covers all of them. That's why I am one. If you ignore the distinctions, they are basically almost the same.

It is possible to show with argumentation that the existence of God is highly unlikely.Absolute Certainty is not a prerequisite for proving the truth or falsehood of a claim.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastor Makes Congregants Suck His P.enis In Church, Says His S.perm Is Holy Milk / Satan Wishes You All A Merry Xmas / Incantation For Prosperity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.