Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,197 members, 7,825,756 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) (22134 Views)

Children Playing At The Premises Of Onitsha Mall / Onitsha Shopping Mall Commissioned By Obiano - Photos / Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by Rossikk(m): 4:09pm On May 06, 2012
A booming economy and middle class expansion leads to an explosion of modern retail outlets across Nigeria.

Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (Pics)

Enugu (Polo Park Mall)

LAGOS

[img]http://marcowerman.files./2009/04/cent21mall.jpg?w=495&h=659[/img]

[img]http://2.bp..com/-irMUNPZ3ZH0/Tui12ahFLfI/AAAAAAAABS8/XN05oNwbhPQ/s1600/Ikeja+Mall.jpg[/img]

Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by manny4life(m): 6:07pm On May 06, 2012
WOW grin grin grin grin

Nice, I have to move back to Nigeria in the near future...

1 Like

Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by PhysicsQED(m): 6:17pm On May 06, 2012
2 cities? Hardly a 'revolution'. . .

But I'm glad to see that there is some slight improvement in quality of life going on.
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by PapaBrowne(m): 6:23pm On May 06, 2012
Nice. Funnily there many other malls nearing construction currently especially in Lagos, Abuja and South South where oil money has bred a massive middle class.
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by tayotee(m): 6:32pm On May 06, 2012
Nice one.... but do some of this "shops" use self checkout machines grin grin?
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by manny4life(m): 6:41pm On May 06, 2012
tayo_tee: Nice one.... but do some of this "shops" use do[b] self checkout machines [/b]grin grin?

Really? When did IBM (largest vendor) release self checkout? embarassed embarassed embarassed

Apart from that, there has been several limiting factors with respect to shrink why self checkouts are limited to certain places let alone Nigeria.
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by PapaBrowne(m): 6:42pm On May 06, 2012
tayo_tee: Nice one.... but do some of this "shops" use self checkout machines grin grin?
Why does anyone need that!! Abeg we need the jobs that come with such development.
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by Ufeolorun(m): 7:33pm On May 06, 2012
These relatively no Frills,bargain basement bin stores would be pricey o in Naija and also Mass produced food store in heavily unregulated Nigeria isn't the best. The jobs are important sha.
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by Kobojunkie: 7:39pm On May 06, 2012
IBM is not the largest vendor of self checkout machines in the world. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by sheyguy: 7:48pm On May 06, 2012
Malls filled with imported goods still remains bad to our economy. I don't care how large and beatiful these malls are, what they do basically is sell imported goods that adds little value to our economy. Though they tend to sell goods of higher quality than most small time traders do, i don't see much difference between them.

4 Likes

Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 7:51pm On May 06, 2012
And yet we celebrate CONSUMERISM...

no factories but lots of malls... malls.. and MORE malls..

KEEP spending, it's the AFRICAN way.....

9 Likes

Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by Maxymilliano(m): 7:51pm On May 06, 2012
Guess its part of the promised Foreign direct investment (FDI) by the Governors.

1 Like

Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by kcjazz(m): 7:53pm On May 06, 2012
Coffee shop in Nigeria? Crazy brave business
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by manny4life(m): 8:06pm On May 06, 2012
Kobojunkie: IBM is not the largest vendor of self checkout machines in the world. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Who said in the world? Apparently, I was talking about U.S. and by the way, who is? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by IFEDILIEZE(m): 8:08pm On May 06, 2012
Their clothes are way too expensive. Imagine a pair of levi jeans tagged for 12k. I simply took the next bus to ogbete main market.

6 Likes

Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by tpia5: 8:12pm On May 06, 2012
self checkout machines are being phased out, unfortunately.

some kind of hue and cry over shrinkage is being blamed.

though i, personally cant seem to get the hang of the mini/portable self-scan machines which some stores use.

I'd have thought those definitely needed more attention, but who knows what the security personnel are seeing on their store cameras.

lord have mercy sha.
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by manny4life(m): 8:15pm On May 06, 2012
^^^

Me o, I don't know about them being phased out, but I can imagine they have so much headache, although some people are reluctant to follow simple instructions. when I go into CVS to purchase something, and the scale is off, the machine keeps saying "please place your item in the bag", some stubborn customers just want to argue with the damn machine making it waste my time.
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by cold(m): 8:21pm On May 06, 2012
musKeeto: And yet we celebrate CONSUMERISM...
no factories but lots of malls... malls.. and MORE malls..
KEEP spending, it's the AFRICAN way.....
I wouldn't want to put down this development but I share your sentiments

1 Like

Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by yabadabado: 8:28pm On May 06, 2012
WOMEN/MEN WILL BEGIN TO LOOK LIKE FAT WHITE PEOPLE SOME...i WISH THE TRIBALIST WILL STATE THEIR USUAL WAR ON THIS...NA WE BE MUGUN PASS..PACKAGING>BRANDING >>SELLING FRIED BEAN IN NYLON TO AFRICANS..
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by Bontee: 8:33pm On May 06, 2012
Malls filled with imported products as we do not own enough factories or do manufacturing and even the few ones are owned by these foreigners and surely most of these malls are owned by foreigners.

By the way I went around these malls and found so many business that are not viable due to low customer patronage, misplaced business focus or stocked products in the shops. So much unnecessary security personnel doing nothing basically than opening glass doors that should be left open and i even saw one sleeping inside the shop.

It is good though ( these malls )but i think we should get the fundamentals right unless we will always get ripped off because of our focus on spending and consumerism. We just lack so much government policies and our local companies just do not know how to fight these types of foreign invaders. I think people should go study the history of Walmart and problems they faced trying to expand around the world.
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by deols(f): 8:33pm On May 06, 2012
were they on sales the day you took this picture??

When is one going to open inIbadan grin grin
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by igbo2011(m): 8:34pm On May 06, 2012
We must understand that this i good news but we have to have the upplier be from Nigeria (or Africa). We cannot keep on importing thing from other places, we needt to create product and then supply them in Nigeria. Then also export the product to other countries. Let's tart a movement. We need to support more African supplier: www.nigerianedp.com
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 8:34pm On May 06, 2012
You have seen how we celebrate failure, we celebrate when foreigners come to Nigeria to do retail business. We celebrate when Lebanese, South Africans, and Indians take over our retail market. We celebrate when they import most of their products. We celebrate when they do not add any value to the economy. We celebrate in Nigeria what Indians resisted, Wallmart came directly to India but they met stiff opposition. Tomorrow we will cry over millions of dollars these foreign nationals send back to their countries.

1 Like

Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by manny4life(m): 8:41pm On May 06, 2012
Some comments on here make me question how people think... Seriously, mall or no mall, won't people still import product? For crying out loud, a mall is a glorified "Marketplace", period. Without these malls, people will still import junk from China, people will still import whether raw materials or finished goods, it will not stop them, what we have just created is an avenue to expand competition.
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 06, 2012
Any news on the Lekki Free Trade Zone? Am far more interested in that.
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by Goshen360(m): 8:56pm On May 06, 2012
OmG. This is home away from home. Great!
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by nep2ra(m): 9:03pm On May 06, 2012
Na this one Nigerian girls like. It's time for mugu to start paying.

grin grin grin
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by tpia5: 9:09pm On May 06, 2012
Me o, I don't know about them being phased out, but I can imagine they have so much headache, although some people are reluctant to follow simple instructions. when I go into CVS to purchase something, and the scale is off, the machine keeps saying "please place your item in the bag", some stubborn customers just want to argue with the damn machine making it waste my time.

it takes a while to get the hang of it, not to mention some machines work more smoothly than others, but in general, if someone attempts to remove a bag from the holding area or scale before paying for the items, the machine will shout that error message. It calculates by weight or something, so the scanned items have to match the total projected weight it has in its system.

I've only seen self checkout machines in the downtown DC CVSes, and they worked great. But CVS has always had shrinkage problems regardless. I think stores with big shrinkage issues should consider tagging all items they sell, and see if that will make a difference. Not sure if it can be stopped in any case.

i may go back to using regular staff anyway- dont like all this wahala and to do. And besides, not all stores have self checkout so its not like they're used everywhere.
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by babaowo: 9:11pm On May 06, 2012
Nigerians have been longing for this since.......kudos to the firm behind this.
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by member479760: 9:20pm On May 06, 2012
I thing we have to start having private jail in this country, with private jail the government will save some tax payer money.

If you are send to jail, you don't wanna go kirikiri, if you have money to pay for yourself in private jail then the go ahead should be granted.
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by olajide8(m): 9:21pm On May 06, 2012
Nigeria needs development but rather then forward movement we have gone 30years backwards to the days of UTC(united trading company) with the largest retail network these things are not sustainable and their is a lot of capital flight our government need to close our bloody porous borders and stop importation of everything to build this economy for at least 10years rubbish! Nah, glass building and escalators we never see when even the maintenance of these escalators are done by foreign firms nigerian's how can WAMPCO compete with an imported diary when its the excess they can't consume that's deposited in these so call malls, what's the difference between buying a tin of Nestle Milo from any of these malls and buying for a nestle wholesale distributors store and let the vulture capitals indirectly reap our economy though the sales to us of foreign products while our products are termed sub-standard and not well package for the international market just my point of view sha! The structures are cool all the same it adds to the architectural space of our skies
Re: Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) by manny4life(m): 9:36pm On May 06, 2012
tpia@:

it takes a while to get the hang of it, not to mention some machines work more smoothly than others, but in general, if someone attempts to remove a bag from the holding area or scale before paying for the items, the machine will shout that error message. It calculates by weight or something, so the scanned items have to match the total projected weight it has in its system.

I've only seen self checkout machines in the downtown DC CVSes, and they worked great. But CVS has always had shrinkage problems regardless. I think stores with big shrinkage issues should consider tagging all items they sell, and see if that will make a difference. Not sure if it can be stopped in any case.

i may go back to using regular staff anyway- dont like all this wahala and to do. And besides, not all stores have self checkout so its not like they're used everywhere.

I could begin to give you detail by detail for the reasons of your concerns, but then I will derail the thread...

Btw, who told you that shrink occurs at the store level? LOL... No matter how much you tag, or laser tag or whatever, shrink will ALWAYS occur. In the budgeting and financial aspect, its coded as "shrink reserve", because it's bound to ALWAYS occur, besides, EAS tagging is very expensive that is why Walmart is using a new technology - RFID initiative.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Brother's Shop Was Robbed In Port-Harcourt / FOREX Crisis: Naira Plunges To 1,025/$, Job Losses, Factory Shutdown Loom / Is Gtbank Really The Best Bank In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.