Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,027 members, 7,818,032 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors (20099 Views)

President Jonathan Sacks Striking Doctors - Thecable / Striking Doctors Offer To Treat Ebola Patients / Fashola Sacks Striking Doctors In Lagos- What Is Your View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Okijajuju1(m): 9:14am On May 08, 2012
I am impressed by Fashola!!

Its high time we curtail the power of these associations!!

Labour Union stiffled the subsidy removal that would have opened the door for good sustainable jobs in the country, Teacher Union stopped the sacking of old, redundant, untrainable, unqualified teachers in Rivers State, ASUU is fighting for the increment of lecturers retirement from 60 to 70 (Like WTF!! Those niggars would be 80 by the time they retire... Lecturers would be dying on the job), Now doctors that provide an essential service on an indefinite strike!! Like seriously?!!! Instead of them to be pushing for a reorganization and restructuring of medical practice in Nigeria and encourage an insurance system that would benefit them, they want lasser taxes & more pay... FHUCK EM'.

Sack the b'astards... There are young doctors that would be more than glad to fill their positions, bring in expart doctors to handle surgeries.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 9:17am On May 08, 2012
vitality22: Governor FASHOLA, thank you sooooooooo much. Sack those useless doctors who think they are demi-gods, holding patients to ransome. Let them go and set up their own hospitals or better still go get a job at any FG owned health institutions. Bunch of E.diots
thank u jor. I have someone saying doctors want to do this and do that, pay rent, feed etc. I tell u, for an entry level fella earning around 170k in lagos is quite a fair fee. It's not by force to work in lagos, if u dont like lagos pay resign and seek employment elsewhere. I have long lost my respect for lagos doctors due to their acting godlike and aloof. U'll see one small girl address u rudely as if u never went to school. Good riddance to terrible rubbish!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by tohirah(f): 9:18am On May 08, 2012
If truly Fashola reached an agreement with this people,then he should fulfill his side of the bargain. But even @ that,these doctors dont have to be inhuman and abandon critically ill patients lying helplessly in the hospital leaving to die like that. Its really against their professional conduct. Money has made them forget the oat they swore wheh they were to be inducted. Talking abt EXPERIENCED doctors,LASG will get enough experienced doctors(with the current salary) to fill the empty spaces vacated by these money-driven doctors.

Lawd have mercy!!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by ChiefS(m): 9:22am On May 08, 2012
The disaster of winning 2nd term in office.
The ordinary masses will end up the losers
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Uzoonyibo: 9:25am On May 08, 2012
I understand dat doctors in nigeria might b looking at politician take home monthly or even daily without doing anytin, but they should know dat their profesion is humanitaria as no mount paid wil b equate to what some good ones among them do in saving humans life. Though they re alot of quak who re jus there because of d pristige and money,(it serves dem good). So they should pls stop incsnt strike if they actualy ve pasion abt d job.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by seenoevil1: 9:41am On May 08, 2012
[size=50pt]ACN![/size]

[size=4pt]meanwhile patients dey die for LUTH / LASUTH day and night while waiting for medical treatment . Lagos spent billions on their useless low life EKO black heritage carnival (black heritage carnival where more than 95% of those in the parade where Caucasians ) but dem no fit pay doctors their money lol[/size] grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by KejiOJ(m): 9:41am On May 08, 2012
Correct...
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Wasquad(m): 9:42am On May 08, 2012
[quote
author=texazzpete]Not surprised...too many dumbos in the Lagos State
government.

I cannot understand a Government that claims to have 'no money' yet goes
out and buys TWO Naval vessels for the Nigerian navy...unsolicited!
The same Government can easily justify making huge payments to
contractor cronies, spending crazy sums in celebrating Tinubu's birthday
and put aside millions in nigh useless beautification schemes.

This is hilarious, though...definitely the NMA won't take this lying
down.[/quote]
i love dis bro, but aou many of us can actually think dis way. some dumbass will be hailing dem, well ti eni to de lari. Acn ma ass birds of d same wings.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by alfablondy: 9:50am On May 08, 2012
Hmmmm, Drs in the house. see batching from the naive Nlanders. grin grin grin[b] @ kobojunkie [/b] are you a doctor? You seem to have better understanding of the issue at hand. 1000 doctors sacked, people claimed they also work in private practice or hospitals, How many of these 1000 drs really have private practice or work in private hospitals. Someone posted they have started recruiting newbies which you cant compare with the experience ones. keep supporting the government when two elephants fight the grass suffers. The issue of better working condition and increament in salary have been a recurring decimal between the medical guild and the LASG, the doctors should have dialogue with their legs cool cool cool and move elsewhere where they will be better appreciated. For those that think they couldnot easily get a job. Doctors are high in demands in most nations what they need is information, take necessary steps and will get employed elsewhere home or abroad.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 10:03am On May 08, 2012
Demdem:

I disagree. they arent selfish. many among them are jobless and just needs something to survive.

Apart from been jobless, it is also well known that most private hospital doctors desire to work with the civil service due to better pay and career progression. Some doctors in private clinics earn less than 100,000 per month. So they would jump on this LASG job opening without a second thought.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by omoeso(m): 10:04am On May 08, 2012
By Mobolaji Sanusi
The Nations Newspaper

Is it right for doctors to be playing activism with human lives? I doubt if anybody in his right senses will answer this question in the affirmative. However, what doctors in public hospitals in Lagos state under the auspices of Medical Guild have been doing with their on-going indefinite strike is tantamount to reducing the worth of human lives to the abysmal level of unreasonable activism.

Bare a month ago, I did a piece titled: ‘Stethoscope without humanity’ in which the doctors in the ‘centre of excellence’ were admonished not to turn themselves into an inhuman, lawless bunch that are out to hold the government to ransom at the expense of human being that need their medical skills to sustain their wellbeing. That was at a time when the doctors were on a three-day warning strike. Now, a full scale strike has been on for weeks and the doctors seem bereft of empathy for mostly the suffering masses in the state and outside it that patronise public hospitals. A close monitoring of the situation has shown that the doctors are as recalcitrant as they are adamant in their bid to continue the strike, insisting that their terms must be fully met without been persuaded by position of government.

Before some people misconstrue my stand to mean a blanket support for the Lagos state government against the doctors, it is pertinent for me to state that it is far from that. If anything, I am an avowed advocate of a better perquisites for professionals especially doctors, lawyers, engineers and pharmacists that toil more than other educated men and women before acquiring their certificates.

This position is further amplified in a country where elected and appointed political office holders (that are sadly in most cases not qualified to be described as lettered), callously fix and pay to themselves outrageous allowances and salaries that show crass contempt for the debilitating plight of the people. While this officially immoral rape on public till remains detestable and condemnable, the fact must however be reinforced that doctors must not because of this consider themselves to be more superior or think themselves as a special breed to other revered professionals that equally contribute meaningfully to the growth and development of the states and that of the nation as a whole.

There is no doubt that doctors’ services are in high demand overseas. This is because they are so crucial an element in the clinical chain but that should not be a ground to make them think that without them, heavens will fall. Nigerian doctors are free to travel to such countries in search of better work environment without stampeding the system here like the doctors employed by Lagos are currently doing.

From the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, LASUTH, Ikeja, to General Hospitals in Gbagada, Isolo, Orile Agege and Ikorodu among others, patients are still left unattended to. The doctors in over 20 general hospitals and a teaching hospital in Lagos are breaching the Hippocratic Oath they took during their induction into the medical profession by engaging in endless strikes that give no consideration to peoples precarious health situations. In the on-going strike leading to paralysis of medical and clinical services, several cases of deaths have been reported. The medical emergency ward and the consulting rooms have either been shut or almost inactive. Unfortunately, the fate of patients in the state is hanging in the balance until the resolution of these avoidable pecuniary doctors’ demands is achieved.

The doctors should forthwith call off the strike because ab initio, the legal requirement as to period of notice of 15 days stipulated in the Trade Union Act was not served on the government before going on the strike. Were the doctors to go to court today, it is almost impossible for them to sustain an action. Then what manner of doctors are these that have no respect for the rule of law and the due process.

Doctors anywhere would be infracting on medical ethics when they play politics with human lives just to further their personal ambitions. The leader of the Medical Guild at a time when unruly medical activism in Lagos state commenced, one Dr Olaifa, is now alleged to be a honourable member of the House of Representatives from Oyo state under the platform of the ruling People’s Democratic Party(PDP).

After fomenting medical trouble believed to have been instigated by the PDP, and having garnered enough public visibility, he abandoned the ship of the Guild in Lagos to go and realise his pre-conceived personal ambition. At that period in question also, a deputy to the candidate of the PDP candidate in Lagos during the 2011 governorship election was also a member of the Guild that started this insatiable demand for money by publicly employed doctors in Lagos. Who knows what political ambition Dr Olumuyiwa Odubote, the current chairman of the Medical Guild is nursing to achieve just like others before him in that stable.

This strike is taking heavy tool on public hospitals and without prejudice, it is the doctors that one would humbly call upon to return to their duty posts. It is trite that hardly can we get a situation where all demands of employees would be met by employers. It should be known that employer/employee negotiation is give and take. It is also wrong for the Guild to also erroneously believe that it can compel the government to pay House Officers teaching allowance? What exactly are there for these medical neophytes to teach their seniors under whom they are still learning?  And the most pertinent question to ask at this juncture is: Has the Lagos government met over 90 per cent of the Medical Guild’s requests? If yes, then the doctors if they still love their jobs should return to their duty posts if only to show gratitude to a state government that harbours 70 per cent of the entire doctors in the country.

It is against medical ethics, against morality and professional rationality for doctors under whatever guise to abandon patients they are paid to cure of afflicting ailments while they clandestinely engage in illegal private practice in the process. Nobody should blame Babatunde Fashola, Lagos state governor if he sacks these irritant doctors and replace them with thousands of qualified expectant others languishing in the unemployment market of Nigeria. The time to act officially is now
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by k00lxpert(m): 10:05am On May 08, 2012
weather my opinion count or not, i must say dis & stand to be corrected, the lagos state govt is never the friend of the pple, if they are as they claimed, they shudn't hav sacked experienced Doctors who are been fighting the same cause since years past, & dos causes hav not been met up till today? what shame on Lawyer govnor! we cant be fooled again, they fooled us enough, & i say, enough is a enough! the lagos state action is barbaric, it is illegal, it is also inhuman, it is unfair, it is archaic, it is dubious & evil in nature. my pple, let us always remember, 2 wrongs can never make a right! i rest my case here
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by deoking: 10:09am On May 08, 2012
I think both parties need sincerity........................At the end of the day, the patients will suffer!
Let them sheath their swords and negotiate in fairness, integrity and truth!

Eko o ni baje oooo!......I hope?
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 10:11am On May 08, 2012
see*noevil:
[size=50pt]ACN![/size]

[size=4pt]meanwhile patients dey die for LUTH / LASUTH day and night while waiting for medical treatment . Lagos spent billions on their useless low life EKO black heritage carnival (black heritage carnival where more than 95% of those in the parade where Caucasians ) but dem no fit pay doctors their money lol[/size] grin grin grin

Luth(Unilag) is federal while lasuth is state owned.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by omoeso(m): 10:23am On May 08, 2012
By Mobolaji Sanusi
The Nations Newspaper

Is it right for doctors to be playing activism with human lives? I doubt if anybody in his right senses will answer this question in the affirmative. However, what doctors in public hospitals in Lagos state under the auspices of Medical Guild have been doing with their on-going indefinite strike is tantamount to reducing the worth of human lives to the abysmal level of unreasonable activism.

Bare a month ago, I did a piece titled: ‘Stethoscope without humanity’ in which the doctors in the ‘centre of excellence’ were admonished not to turn themselves into an inhuman, lawless bunch that are out to hold the government to ransom at the expense of human being that need their medical skills to sustain their wellbeing. That was at a time when the doctors were on a three-day warning strike. Now, a full scale strike has been on for weeks and the doctors seem bereft of empathy for mostly the suffering masses in the state and outside it that patronise public hospitals. A close monitoring of the situation has shown that the doctors are as recalcitrant as they are adamant in their bid to continue the strike, insisting that their terms must be fully met without been persuaded by position of government.

Before some people misconstrue my stand to mean a blanket support for the Lagos state government against the doctors, it is pertinent for me to state that it is far from that. If anything, I am an avowed advocate of a better perquisites for professionals especially doctors, lawyers, engineers and pharmacists that toil more than other educated men and women before acquiring their certificates.

This position is further amplified in a country where elected and appointed political office holders (that are sadly in most cases not qualified to be described as lettered), callously fix and pay to themselves outrageous allowances and salaries that show crass contempt for the debilitating plight of the people. While this officially immoral rape on public till remains detestable and condemnable, the fact must however be reinforced that doctors must not because of this consider themselves to be more superior or think themselves as a special breed to other revered professionals that equally contribute meaningfully to the growth and development of the states and that of the nation as a whole.

There is no doubt that doctors’ services are in high demand overseas. This is because they are so crucial an element in the clinical chain but that should not be a ground to make them think that without them, heavens will fall. Nigerian doctors are free to travel to such countries in search of better work environment without stampeding the system here like the doctors employed by Lagos are currently doing.

From the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, LASUTH, Ikeja, to General Hospitals in Gbagada, Isolo, Orile Agege and Ikorodu among others, patients are still left unattended to. The doctors in over 20 general hospitals and a teaching hospital in Lagos are breaching the Hippocratic Oath they took during their induction into the medical profession by engaging in endless strikes that give no consideration to peoples precarious health situations. In the on-going strike leading to paralysis of medical and clinical services, several cases of deaths have been reported. The medical emergency ward and the consulting rooms have either been shut or almost inactive. Unfortunately, the fate of patients in the state is hanging in the balance until the resolution of these avoidable pecuniary doctors’ demands is achieved.

The doctors should forthwith call off the strike because ab initio, the legal requirement as to period of notice of 15 days stipulated in the Trade Union Act was not served on the government before going on the strike. Were the doctors to go to court today, it is almost impossible for them to sustain an action. Then what manner of doctors are these that have no respect for the rule of law and the due process.

Doctors anywhere would be infracting on medical ethics when they play politics with human lives just to further their personal ambitions. The leader of the Medical Guild at a time when unruly medical activism in Lagos state commenced, one Dr Olaifa, is now alleged to be a honourable member of the House of Representatives from Oyo state under the platform of the ruling People’s Democratic Party(PDP).

After fomenting medical trouble believed to have been instigated by the PDP, and having garnered enough public visibility, he abandoned the ship of the Guild in Lagos to go and realise his pre-conceived personal ambition. At that period in question also, a deputy to the candidate of the PDP candidate in Lagos during the 2011 governorship election was also a member of the Guild that started this insatiable demand for money by publicly employed doctors in Lagos. Who knows what political ambition Dr Olumuyiwa Odubote, the current chairman of the Medical Guild is nursing to achieve just like others before him in that stable.

This strike is taking heavy tool on public hospitals and without prejudice, it is the doctors that one would humbly call upon to return to their duty posts. It is trite that hardly can we get a situation where all demands of employees would be met by employers. It should be known that employer/employee negotiation is give and take. It is also wrong for the Guild to also erroneously believe that it can compel the government to pay House Officers teaching allowance? What exactly are there for these medical neophytes to teach their seniors under whom they are still learning?  And the most pertinent question to ask at this juncture is: Has the Lagos government met over 90 per cent of the Medical Guild’s requests? If yes, then the doctors if they still love their jobs should return to their duty posts if only to show gratitude to a state government that harbours 70 per cent of the entire doctors in the country.

It is against medical ethics, against morality and professional rationality for doctors under whatever guise to abandon patients they are paid to cure of afflicting ailments while they clandestinely engage in illegal private practice in the process. Nobody should blame Babatunde Fashola, Lagos state governor if he sacks these irritant doctors and replace them with thousands of qualified expectant others languishing in the unemployment market of Nigeria. The time to act officially is now
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by slq(m): 10:42am On May 08, 2012
Demdem:

Seriously..I ve never seen a jobless doctor...He might not be better paid but not jobless.but _y'all shud know u cant raise d standard of ur healthcare by moves like this..the ones u employ wud certainly leave for greener pastures to other federal hospital..n who suffers?the poor man ..n nt Fashola..Nothing u pay a Dr wud be ok but they gotta survive,they dont get no discount for being Drs instead the price is doubled if u pips know u a Dr.its clear the prob in Naija is not only d Govt but majority of d masses too
I disagree. they arent selfish. many among them are jobless and just needs something to survive.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by paradigman(m): 10:53am On May 08, 2012
Fashola men! Chop knuckle. They misbehaved. The issue is that they were sacked for not responding to the query sent to them and in law they erred.
Yeye doctors!
Chop knuckle again cool cool cool
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by ngak: 11:15am On May 08, 2012
I hope the populace realises that fired speccialists for example a heart or a brain surgeon is being replaced by corpers. The medical school will be shut down and the medical students turned out.
Meaning a worse shortage is coming. Well na to sa ve mney fcor emergency and to pray
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by PrettyCindy(f): 12:28pm On May 08, 2012
As far as am consigned this is karma. When Medical Laboratory Scientist embarked on one week warning strike last year, the stupid Medical Doctors in Lagos were against them, they didn't even give them an ounce of support. Instead they attempted to take over their jobs! Human beings!!! Now they have all been sacked for embarking on same strike. I say good for them. Talk about tasting a bitter pill.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by salton: 12:39pm On May 08, 2012
The Doctors' strike this time around is a strike too many. I am even more saddened by the responses of some of the doctors on this post. Like every other aspect of our national life , it shows a country in decay. Though i believe that the doctors like every other proffessional have a right to demand for better working conditions of services and that lagos state doctors (because of the volume of work they done ) need to be well compensated, i do not support the use of incessant strike as a toool for pressing home their demands by the doctors.
Medecine is a noble proffession and proffessionals in the fields should have employed other means of pressing home their demands aside from embarking on an indefinite strike. I am not a government supporter but the fact needs to be stated. you cannot compare any other state in nigeria to lagos state. How many doctors are there in such states as ekiti and osun state as compared to lagos. Want percentage of the state wages do the government in such state pay the health workers as compared to lagos state. You cannot expect a government to use all its resources to pay the health worker. Must other sectors be neglected because doctors are to be paid.
In nigeria , we know that the government are notoriously for not honouring agreements which may be quite painfully, but the use of strike as a tool for making demands especially in the health sector can be come out as mean because it is the ordinary man on the street that suffers. it should only be used when other options have been exhauxted.
I think the doctors should have used other means aside from strike. if other people are going on strike as frequently as the lagos doctors have , then what will be left of the state. if they are not crefully they will lose the support of the masses.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by toyecoach(m): 12:47pm On May 08, 2012
It is a positive development,the doctors have abandoned their profession ethics of saving lifes therefore they're personal non grata to their employer LASG.
This is a strong signal to the loving Nigerian striking workers that that era is over.if you have a grouse with your employer the constitution provides for redress at the industrial courts .
They have a choice of accepting their employer offer and terms,seek employment elsewhere for instance in the UK/USA where less taxes paid but fat wages are received.
Most of them also engaged in private practice any way.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by phantom(m): 1:06pm On May 08, 2012
doctors get up and decide to strike,you get up and decide to sack all of em(ACN rascality style)....what a slowpoke! grin grin grin...i thought this man was wise?its obvious he's just a bufoon like the others
This episode will just put the final dent on the little image he had left from the lekki incident.If he thinks he ll come out of this smelling of roses,then he sure is smoking some serious ish...
You want to build mega hospitals and flash them for all to see,byut you dont want develop the manpower to run these places...clown!
your mates are busy buying brand new cars for their doctors....you are busy sacking yours because you want to use their due salaries to build bridges...
For those of you saying lagos pays its doctors the highest in the country,you need to GET INFORMED....move around!lagos is not the only state in this country....You cannot remain behind your rickety computers in one backward part of that "slum", open your wide mouths and say lagos pays the highest.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by phantom(m): 1:08pm On May 08, 2012
...and for those of you who think this whole thing will end in favour of the state,i hope say you go get liver revisit this thread when your tin-god gets disgraced??Because he sure will.... grin grin
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by allycat: 1:15pm On May 08, 2012
Hey let's call it a truce all we useless doctors have been sacked and new doctors are being employed. So you already have our heads on a platter .the strike is over, sacked staff cannot strike.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by phantom(m): 1:22pm On May 08, 2012
what makes this man even think that the newly employed ones wont get up and strike one day?? grin ;Dbecause it ll happen grin
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by sartorius(m): 1:56pm On May 08, 2012
The whole sack issue is a joke.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by flckr: 2:14pm On May 08, 2012
@ okija-dudu nd valacious.U guys bunch of dunces. Am really lukn frwrd 2 wht ur Ganja smokin guvnor does.He claims 2 av employd docs buh he's bn calln my mates in gidi 2 cme wok for 5k/day tho' sme fools av bn doin dt wok as dy seem 2 forget dt dy selln deir birth rights for pittance.He is a joker 2 d best of m knowledge.
To the best of my knowledge,the issues r:
-Implement CONMESS.
-Reduce abitrary taxatn. Why wld u tax people's allowances.TaX shld jst b on d Basic alone.Does he tax judicial workers like that rather they earn more than federal workers.
Fashola pls keep DREAMING!!
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by ziga: 2:17pm On May 08, 2012
I heard this so many times. . . "Medicine is a noble profession " WHAT DOES THAT SH!T EVEN MEAN.

If u supporting d FG on this on grounds of "the masses are being made to suffer " The FG just cursed d masses by this action.

But I can't blame both parties involved. When u in d jungle, u act and think like gorillas and monkeys.

What type of government does not care about d health of its people? And dat also involves d welfare of d people who are actually doing d job, not d politicians that sit for 5 hours per week and come up with stupid policies.

I swear . . . Naija is dead meat. And I say this because the people to ask for a change are all blind and selfish.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by bigiyaro(m): 4:01pm On May 08, 2012
12 inches!:

And this my friend is one of the reasons why our healthcare sector will never grow.... You should get to understand that there are two kinds of doctors.
1. Those who are in it for humanitarian reasons
2. Those who want to be well paid for their services.

So are you saying we should sack all those who want to be well paid for their services. Are u also saying that a doctor is just a robot and shud jst be saving lives without reward? Are these doctors not rewarded? Of cos they are rewarded. Just like u said, those who want to be “WELL PAID“have been sacked and those for humanity sake r still working.why dont u ask dr chris ngege why he left the hospital for politics, belive me there are still those that are intrested in saving lives without having the govt break the bank inorder to reward them.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Akainzo(m): 4:24pm On May 08, 2012
texazzpete:

'unreasonable strikes'

You see, this is why I tell people that contrary to what their thieving Pastors and Imams tell them, Nigeria will NOT get better any time soon. Even with the horrifying spectre of greedy and demonic leaders, we have a sheepish and foolish populace who still fall for the government propaganda of 'incessant strikes'.

The Doctors in Lagos State have gone on repeated strikes because the Lagos State government has FAILED to implement all the agreements made before. The Doctors have asked for full implementation of CONMESS. Is that really too much to ask? While the Lagos State Government tells you gullible people that Lagos state cannot pay the incremental demands, a simple calculation will tell you all that that is a lie.

Now, we know that 1000 doctors were sacked. Let's assume the incremental demands per doctor boils down to 50K per person. 50,000 * 1000 = 50 million naira. Is this what Lagos State government cannot pay?

Does anyone really think that 175k per month is adequate remuneration for a medical doctor...barely over $1000 per month? And that's before the crippling taxes the doctors are complaining about.

Are we so blind that we do not see the folly in keeping our doctors demotivated and unhappy?

People here say truly IDIOTIC things like 'most of these doctors have their own hospitals'. Which kain hospital will a married doctor build on 175k per month?

The Lagos State government is simply following the script used by the FG in turning the populace against ASUU...enter agreements and fail to honor them, then use their financial clout to inundate the media with stories about 'incessant strikes'. And the foolish people lap it up! How many of you folks know that up until now, GEJ is yet to sign the agreement finalized with ASUU to extend retirement age of lecturers to 70, even after an 'agreement' was reached?

It is said that the average Lagos state doctor sees up to 50 patients daily. How many of you here work that hard in such a risky environment?

I do not understand you o! Lagos State tax max is 20%, Delta is 22%, Rivers is 25%, Ekiti is 18%, Ondo is 17.5%; So where is the crippling taxes that Lagos state doctors are being subjected to?

Also, you assumed that a 50K increase per month just translates to 50 Million shocked, realise that their allowances are based on their basic, thus ALL their dependent allowances would also increase: terminal benefits, pension, etc.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by ABS1(m): 4:43pm On May 08, 2012
From This Day News

Lagos Fires 788 Doctors over Strike, Recruits 373

08 May 2012

By Omololu Ogunmade, Gboyega Akinsanmi and Steve Dada

Lagos State Government Monday fired 788 medical doctors following their refusal to suspend their 13-day-old industrial action.

The government simultaneously employed 373 fresh ones “for immediate deployment in the public hospitals while recruitment continues”.

The Head of Service (HoS) of Lagos State, Mr. Adesegun Ogunlewe, said in a press statement that the dismissed doctors were axed by the “Lagos State University Teaching Hospital Board and the State’s Health Service Commission (HSC) following an illegal strike embarked upon by the doctors since April 16, 2012”.

He also said the two bodies attributed the sack to the refusal of the doctors to answer to queries issued to them to explain why they were absent from work without leave and without the due observance of the rules and regulations guiding strikes and industrial actions in the state’s public service.

According to Ogunlewe, 316 of the doctors were working with the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital while the remaining 472 were from other hospitals in the state.

Explaining the acts leading to the sack of the doctors, the HoS said: “Resulting from the contemptible act of the Medical Doctors LASUTH Board and HSC, the two bodies that appointed them in line with subsisting statutes, served those who were ‘Absent without Leave’ (AWOL) with queries”, adding that while a handful of them responded, a majority of the doctors shunned the query.

He maintained that the strike came as a rude shock to the state government “since the leadership of the medical guild still met during the week preceding the illegal strike with top government officials in charge of health and establishment sectors”.

On what made the strike illegal, the statement said, among other things, that the doctors only gave the state government 24 hours notice “as against the time-tested and statute-bound processes and procedures for declaration of industrial disputes”.

THISDAY also gathered from the Special Adviser to the Governor on Information and Strategy, Mr. Lateef Raji, that the doctors’ decision to stay away from work, despite government efforts to revamp the state's health sector, was regrettable.

He alleged that “the strike was politically motivated", adding that it was curious that "the doctors could abandon their jobs at such a critical moment like this, when the state government is investing heavily in the sector”.

Raji insisted that the need to replace the doctors was aimed at saving the state’s health sector from total paralysis.

The state government also alleged that the doctors consume 60 per cent of its total annual recurrent expenditure, disclosing further that an average house officers earns as much as N173,927.33 monthly, while a consultant takes home as much as N801, 985.09, excluding the teaching allowances.

Raji rejected the doctors' claim that the government had been adamant on its demands, explaining further that the government expends nothing less than N20 million on the training of each of its 339 resident doctors at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH).

Raji, who further said only Lagos State competes with the Federal Government on the payment of its doctors, added: “We match the Federal Government naira-for-naira. We don’t short change our doctors.”

In the recent medical/officers’ salary regime published by the state government, doctors on level 12, step two, earn 207, 629.75; level 12, step three officers 213,784.00; level 12 step 4 N219,938.30 while level 12, step 15 officers earn N226,092.42.

In the same vein, doctors on level 15, step six earn 408,387.50; medical officers on level 15 step seven, earn N420,375.50, while those on level 15 step eight earn N432,363.50.

On the other hand, senior medical doctors at the consultant cadre of level 17 step 4 earn 703,390.50; level 17 step five officers earn 723,109.25; level 17 step six officers earn N742, 828.33, level 17, step seven officers earn N762,547.25, level 17, step eight doctors earn N782,266.17 while level 17 step nine officers earn N801, 985.09.

The doctors had, on April 24, embarked on an indefinite strike following the expiration of their initial three-day warning strike between April 11 and 13. Key on their demands’ list is that the state government should effect a 100 per cent implementation of the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure (CONMESS).

In September 2010, the doctors had also embarked on a three-month strike to press home its demand for payment of 100 per cent CONMESS.

However, after three months of fruitless negotiations, Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola approved 75 per cent salary increase, prompting the doctors to suspend the strike.

The ongoing action is aimed at compelling the state government to implement the entire CONMESS.

Meanwhile, the state Chairman of Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), Dr. Edamisan Temiye, after an emergency congress, said the association described the government's action as draconian, undemocratic and most uncalled for.

“If they do this to the doctors and they survive, they will do it to the other workers in the health team. They have turned everybody to their slaves because they think they are so big now that people should become their slaves.”

He explained that last week, at its 52nd Annual General Conference and Delegates' Meeting, the decision-making body of the NMA had reviewed what was happening in Lagos State and were very disturbed and arrived at the decision to set up an elders’ committee to meet with the state government.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by aletheia(m): 4:43pm On May 08, 2012
By SaharaReporters, New York

The Joint Action Front (JAF) a pro-labour welfare organization, has described the action of the Lagos State Government in the sacking of 788 doctors in its employ as ‘a grave violation of labour laws and international conventions’, citing the 661, 662 and 663 mandates of the International Labour Organization (ILO) laws.

In a press statement signed by its secretary, Abiodun Aremu, today, the group heaped responsibility for the casualties in the state’s hospitals on the Raji Fashola’s Administration in Lagos State for his refusal to implement the Consolidated Medical Salary (CONMESS), which is the approved basic minimum wage for all the doctors across the federation.

On Monday, the Lagos State Government, through its Head of Service, Adesegun Ogunlewe, announced that it had sacked 788 doctors, 316 of whom were working with the Lagos State Teaching Hospital and another 472 in other hospitals in the state. It also announced that it had employed 373 new doctors, while advertisements have been placed inviting more applicants to fill the remaining positions of the sacked doctors.

Also reacting to this development, the President of the Resident Doctors, Lagos State Teaching Hospital, LASUTH, Dr. Saheed Babajide, said in a phone conversation that the Lagos State Government was only on a mission to increase the rate of casualties in the state by employing inexperienced graduates to handle critical health issues while being insincere with the agreement it had signed with the employed doctors on the CONMESS.

The doctors commenced their indefinite strike on 16th of April, 2012, following the refusal of the Raji Fashola administration to fulfill its part of the CONMESS agreement with them.

In a recent conference in Lagos, JAF had said that the Lagos State Government was on an anti-human mission to silence all groups from challenging its move to turn government affairs into a private business for himself and those whose interest it is serving, citing the examples of the recent Lagos State University, crisis and the use of party thugs to confront and battle with those challenging the imposition of the unpopular Toll on Lekki residents in the State.
“They have now turned Lagos State University into a private school”, some members of the group said during the last conference by JAF.
Joint Action Front supported the striking Lagos Doctors and had called a conference recently to that effect

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Steps To Getting The COVID-19 Vaccine In Lagos, Phase 1 & List Of Those Eligible / Final Year Student Of IMSU Slumps And Dies Few Months To His Graduation(photos) / Yeast Infection: Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.