Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,783 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

"The Overly Strict Rules In Covenant UniversityMade Me Withdraw From People" Bez - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / "The Overly Strict Rules In Covenant UniversityMade Me Withdraw From People" Bez (1083 Views)

Tiwa Savage Finally Reveals Overly Protected Son’s Name / Uche Jombo Rodriguez And Hubby Are Overly Cute In This Photo / Kim Terrified Over Kanye's Strict Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

"The Overly Strict Rules In Covenant UniversityMade Me Withdraw From People" Bez by Revealedtv(m): 10:02pm On May 09, 2012
See full interview @ www.pressoncampus.com

"The overly strict rules however, made me withdraw from social gatherings and people, making me practice more and improving my skills, but, it killed all enthusiasm regarding school issues..."

Your Alma-mater, Covenant University, placed a high importance on entrepreneurship studies  for its students. At the same time, it enforced some of the strictest rules on social behaviour. How did both factors affect you musically while in school?
 Entrepreneurship to me is the base of existence. What CU taught me was to have a business approach to everything I did and that has really helped me to manage my music career wisely. The business man will ask," How can I reach a lot of people with the minimum cost?" As a musician, I ask a similar question too like, " How can I be successful and reach the world with the least effort?" I think it falls along the same lines. The overly strict rules however, made me withdraw from social gatherings and people, making me practice more and improving my skills, but, it killed all enthusiasm regarding school issues.

When did your big break come, musically?
It was a gradual process into people's consciousness as opposed to a Big Break. In 2009 I participated in the Hennessy Artistry series. That put me on stage in front of a lot of people and that was an introduction. We followed that with the More You video the next year which increased my fans significantly. We dropped the album in 2011 and dropped That Stupid Song in 2012. After each milestone achieved, the number of Bez Music lovers increase significantly.

How important do you think starting early is, for persons hoping to build a career in music?
Starting early in a music career is great and quite important. It gives you time to make your mistakes and grow musically, while you're growing physically, mentally and emotionally too. It sets you apart because you would have had more practice time than someone who decides to start up now. You need to realize though, it always starts as a hobby or discovered as a gift. It is nurtured and later evolves into what you and I enjoy. That takes time.

Having passed through the school phase, how valid is that argument parents make about not letting our passions distract us in school? Is it better, in your opinion, to face your studies while in school and completely ignore your passion until you are done with school?
Don't ignore your passion, don't ignore your studies or academics. When we were in elementary school and high school, we did a lot. We had soccer clubs, basket ball, music, chess, etc. These things build you up into a well rounded individual. It should be the same in University. Participate in your passion and build it, and at the same time give time to your school work. It's all about planning your time wisely. Besides, the brain has an enormous ability to learn a lot of things at the same time, we never just take advantage of it.

How big did you really think you'd become when you consider that fact that even the likes of Asa weren't that prominent during your time in school? What were your aspirations considering the fact that Nigerians were not yet used to 'Afro soul'?
Well, I actually thought I would be the first of my kind of genre and cash out on the monopoly [lol]. I believe in what I do, and I believe there's a market for everything, when done and packaged properly. I'm not even big yet. With more time, more material, more opportunities, I'll become very huge.

Who has had the biggest influence on you musically?
My family has had the biggest influence on me musically. My dad introduced me to the guitar and how to play it. My sisters introduced me to singing and performing on stage, and they introduced me to their friends who were musicians who further had an impact on my music. So you see, my family created this chain reaction that has brought me here and still is taking me through this musical journey.

What is the most difficult thing you've had to go through musically?
The most difficult thing as a musician is wanting a lot like: great shows, great sound, being able to tour, being able to carry your whole band, and a lot of other dreams and not being able to get it at the moment because of lack of finances. But what I did realize is, they all come through eventually, but at moments you can't have them but really want to... It's a difficult thing to go through.

What are you working on presently?
I'm working on new material now. Something different from the first album, but not entirely different. Also I'm getting ready to leave to New York for a mini tour of key venues in the city. I'm really looking forward to the opportunities the gigs will bring.

What would your word of inspiration be to that young person reading this?
Discover your purpose in life, stick to that purpose and have God guide you to fulfilling that purpose. Super Sun.

(1) (Reply)

Bipasha Basu Hottest Pics From Intimate Horror Movie Raaz 3 / 50 Cent To Fight Mayweather Dec 14. / 26 Years Is Now The Minimum Age Required To Become A Driver In Nigeria!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.