Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:43 PM

How Come There Is No Screaming In African Music? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Come There Is No Screaming In African Music? (2036 Views)

South African Music ❤ / The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! / Do You Believe In African Bullet Proof? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Come There Is No Screaming In African Music? by TisaBone: 5:05am On May 10, 2012
What I mean by that is in AA music we always have to belt...think Patti Labelle or Aretha Franklin. I always assumed that style of singing was testament to the fact that the African essence still continues to exist in All Africans in Diaspora. But as I listen to 2face, to p-square, and Wizkid (who sounds like he's trying his best to imitate T-pain) none are belting. Why is this? Don't African singers use the belting technique too?
Re: How Come There Is No Screaming In African Music? by dasparrow: 1:51am On May 12, 2012
TisaBone: What I mean by that is in AA music we always have to belt...think Patti Labelle or Aretha Franklin. I always assumed that style of singing was testament to the fact that the African essence still continues to exist in All Africans in Diaspora. But as I listen to 2face, to p-square, and Wizkid (who sounds like he's trying his best to imitate T-pain) none are belting. Why is this? Don't African singers use the belting technique too?

So you are comparing 2face, p-square and wizkid (all males by the way with a unique music genre of their own) to Patti Labelle and Aretha Franklin who started singing in church where it is customary to belt out tunes as is part of the black american worship style and r & b music genre. How many Nigerian or African FEMALE music artists do you listen to? I guess none because if you did, you will know that OMAWUMI can sing and belts out tunes too and has a nice vocal range. Same can be said for Angelique Kidjo.

On the other hand, maybe most Africans are not just into screaming while singing. For example, I have observed the way most white americans sing and worship. When they sing, most don't scream or belt. Maybe that is why I love to listen to contemporary christian music from artists like Micheal W. Smith, Hillsong, Chris Thomlin and the likes along with African praise worship. All that belting can cause one a headache sometimes when all I want to do is worship the Saviour Jesus in a peaceful and not so loud way.
Re: How Come There Is No Screaming In African Music? by valenlabella(f): 3:52pm On May 12, 2012
TisaBone: What I mean by that is in AA music we always have to belt...think Patti Labelle or Aretha Franklin. I always assumed that style of singing was testament to the fact that the African essence still continues to exist in All Africans in Diaspora. But as I listen to 2face, to p-square, and Wizkid (who sounds like he's trying his best to imitate T-pain) none are belting. Why is this? Don't African singers use the belting technique too?

I understand where you're coming from but this pertains to techniques such as call and response. I think belting is more of an original AA thing. And you can't really use p-square, wizkid and 2face as examples as they're not really 'singers' (in my opinion anyway lol). Maybe artists like Tiwa Savage, Timi Dakolo or Lara might belt from time to time but even still, all these artists have been influenced by American music one way or the other so like I said earlier I don't think belting is a traditional african thing.
Re: How Come There Is No Screaming In African Music? by tpia5: 5:56pm On May 12, 2012
depends on the audience?

or is it the culture.

1 Like

Re: How Come There Is No Screaming In African Music? by Fulaman198(m): 8:04pm On May 12, 2012
dasparrow:

So you are comparing 2face, p-square and wizkid (all males by the way with a unique music genre of their own) to Patti Labelle and Aretha Franklin who started singing in church where it is customary to belt out tunes as is part of the black american worship style and r & b music genre. How many Nigerian or African FEMALE music artists do you listen to? I guess none because if you did, you will know that OMAWUMI can sing and belts out tunes too and has a nice vocal range. Same can be said for Angelique Kidjo.

On the other hand, maybe most Africans are not just into screaming while singing. For example, I have observed the way most white americans sing and worship. When they sing, most don't scream or belt. Maybe that is why I love to listen to contemporary christian music from artists like Micheal W. Smith, Hillsong, Chris Thomlin and the likes along with African praise worship. All that belting can cause one a headache sometimes when all I want to do is worship the Saviour Jesus in a peaceful and not so loud way.

All those artists, 2face, psquare and wizkid don't even sing true African music. It is Western music mixed with some African beats. But for the most part the music they sing is Westernized.
Re: How Come There Is No Screaming In African Music? by tpia5: 8:57pm On May 12, 2012
valen la bella:

I don't think belting is a traditional african thing.

its not.

that's why i pointed out the audience is what dictates the technique.
Re: How Come There Is No Screaming In African Music? by Fulaman198(m): 2:10am On May 14, 2012

What exactly is the belting technique, also those music you mentioned are not traditional African music. Every ethnic group in Nigeria has a different way of singing.

For example this is how the Fulani sing (refer to Baaba Maal as well):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PSh3WuHX84
This is how the Hausa sing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBRWjippzIs
This is how the Igbo sing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCdqGmdW5LM
This is how the Yoruba sing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrbRXaNG6vs
This is how the Edo sing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKd0pSysaf0

That said this is a very limited example as these songs don't really illustrate or come close to all the style used in all the aforementioned ethnic groups.
Re: How Come There Is No Screaming In African Music? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jun 01, 2012

Good question. smiley

I think it could be that many see "screaming" as either unnecessary or vulgar. They more so "drag out" words in high pitch than scream.

As far as "screaming", a lot of it has to do with the fact that western black culture is more "expressive" if you will when it comes to emotion, as opposed to many on the Motherland who are much more reserved than us. But singing in high pitch is definitely something we got from Africa which is a "prelude" in a sense to "screaming". (I hope you understand my point).

(Bassa-Liberian song. Notice the 'high pitch - draw out of words' )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mylWSRzbpwc

(yes she is using "auto tune" but its obvious she has a strong/high pitched tone without it. )
Re: How Come There Is No Screaming In African Music? by TisaBone: 11:01pm On Jun 01, 2012
i see what you mean mzdarkskin. thanks to everyone who answered my question!!
Re: How Come There Is No Screaming In African Music? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jun 02, 2012
cheesy cheesy
Re: How Come There Is No Screaming In African Music? by somegirl1: 12:05am On Jun 03, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRCuKwUCV3s

more accurate Igbo style singing.

stretching, not necessarily belting at the end of some words....

(1) (Reply)

****oyinbo Wey Love Pidgin DIE**** / Help Me Translate This In Yoruba / Meet African King Who Works As Mechanic In Germany And Rule His People Via Skype

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.