Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,154 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 (15094 Views)

See The Colourful Suit Timipre Sylva Rocked In Abuja Today. Photo / First Lady Patience Jonathan Campaigns In Lagos(Colourful Pictures) / Jonathan Visits Ogbomoso, Receives Grand Welcome (Colourful Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by mikron(m): 6:51pm On May 10, 2012
Very butuful
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by Fhemmmy: 7:05pm On May 10, 2012
Loving the pix . . .
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by chidexy(m): 7:26pm On May 10, 2012
Carnivals the world over are all about colors - different shades of it. Whether it's taking place in Rio, Nottingham, Tokyo, Berlin, Lagos, Calabar or even in Boko Haram enclave, it's all about the color and beauty of it. Lagos residents do however know how to enjoy themselves. Missed being part of it
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by seenoevil1: 8:24pm On May 10, 2012
[size=20pt]WAS THIS "CARNIVAL" REALLY WORTH IT ? LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT COULD HAVE SPENT THE MONEY ON PAYING THE DOCTORS INSTEAD OF THIS CHEAP "COPY AND PASTE" CALABAR CARNIVAL IMITATION.[/size]
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by jmaine: 8:51pm On May 10, 2012
Cool and lovely Pictures grin. . . .Lagos Fanti festival reloaded in a big way . . .Miss those new year Fanti street carnivals in them times grin . . .

But Calabar festival is still the bomb cool
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by member479760: 9:02pm On May 10, 2012
the world is a mist of happiness and sorrow!

EKO ONI BAJE!
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by MeGaStReEt: 9:43pm On May 10, 2012
Next stop is Jos Carnival. You are welcome.

Remember, come with your family, friends and loved once.
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by NegroNtns(m): 10:23pm On May 10, 2012
. . in what year did carnival start in Calabar?
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by eghost247(m): 10:57pm On May 10, 2012
Eko Oni Baje
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by Abagworo(m): 11:18pm On May 10, 2012
Apart from Calabar, every other rubbish disturbance of public peace called carnival should be banned. These pictures are disgraceful and paints ugly image of Nigeria.
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by freesoul3(f): 11:45pm On May 10, 2012
shameless imitation
drab
boring
fake
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by Nobody: 12:05am On May 11, 2012
Abagworo: Apart from Calabar, every other rubbish disturbance of public peace called carnival should be banned. These pictures are disgraceful and paints ugly image of Nigeria.
u have spoken well!
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by lagcity(m): 12:05am On May 11, 2012
Goddex: Copy Copy.
All states now want to do Carnival.
Why not leave Carnival for Calabar and concentrate
on another area of comparative advantage?

Lagos don't need this, if you ask me.

Have u seen the Calabar one? that shit is boring.
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by lagcity(m): 12:10am On May 11, 2012
Okija_juju:

The sad thing is that the entire SOuth-South and South East hold on to very strong traditional values.

Have you seen the Ofala festival in Anambra State?! Have you seen the New yam celebrations?! Everything is in line with our traditions and customs.. You dont need to look out for light skinned beautiful girls and handsome men to know that this is an Igbo festival..

Look at the pictures on this thread... At first I thought someone was showing us pictures from brazil.. There is nothing Yoruba about those pictures..

Not even a single tribal mark on the faces of the participants which proves that they are Igbos or southerners.

Are Yoruba people ashamed of their culture?! Where is their talking drums? Where are the tribal marked men dancing out of tune and jumping up and down like deranged monkeys? Where are the over-weight & haggared-looking Iyabos and Atinukes?! Out their faking oyinbo and speaking in an accent they got from their 1 week trip to the UK.

Not even a single Aso-ebi or Owambe style party with Amala and ewedu or Efo riro.. Rubbish!!
Bros, why r u getting stomach ulcer now? If u Igbos won't show cannibalism in your festival, then we won't show tribal marks in ours. Thank you.

Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by lagcity(m): 12:17am On May 11, 2012
Abagworo: Apart from Calabar, every other rubbish disturbance of public peace called carnival should be banned. These pictures are disgraceful and paints ugly image of Nigeria.

hey modafoka, we need some beautiful Nigerian images to balance the image of boko haram bombing Igbos in the North. CNN shld show this to the world, instead of showing us Igbo corpses everyday.
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by Nobody: 12:19am On May 11, 2012
Those blessed beautiful faces are the Igbos. Where are the ugly youruba girls with thier tribal marks?
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by lagcity(m): 12:27am On May 11, 2012
^^^^
show us "beautiful" igbos from SE. u want make i show u one video? grin u go fear ibo baboons i swear!
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by london2lasgidi(m): 12:30am On May 11, 2012

Why are you so retarded?

Have you ever heard about Lagos fanti carnival?? Fanti carnival started way before calabar became a state.

By the way, Afro-Brazilians form a good percentage of Lagosians, and I'm happen to be one of them on my paternal side. My surname is Pereira, and I'm from Campos, in Lagos Island.

The copying is from Calabar and not Lagos!
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by Fhemmmy: 2:27am On May 11, 2012
I wonder why EVERYTHING on Nairaland has to be made tribal . . . .
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by mamagee3(f): 7:04am On May 11, 2012
[size=18pt]Looks amazing!!![/size]
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by jason123: 9:13am On May 11, 2012
Why do people lie so much?! Have you heard of Fanti? How did Brazilians influence get to Calabar when most Brazilians in Nigeria are in Lagos? Have you heard of De-costa family in Lagos? Cooke? Williams (eg Funsho williams)? George?

Lagos carnival started WAY BEFORE Calabar carnival! If anything, Calabar copied Lagos, not the other way round.
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 9:30am On May 11, 2012
I posted this on the carnival thread I made on Easter Monday.

naptu2: Carnival

Carnival is a festive season that occurs immediately before Lent (the last celebration before lent); the main events are usually during February. Carnival typically involves a public celebration or parade combining some elements of a circus, mask and public street party. People often dress up or masquerade during the celebrations, which mark an overturning of daily life.

The Brazilian Carnival is one of the best-known celebrations today, but many cities and regions worldwide celebrate with large, popular, and days-long events. The Carnival in Rio de Janeiro is the largest carnival in the world, according to the Guinness World Records, with two million people per day on the streets. The first festivals of Rio date back to 1723.

During the 1850’s there was a large influx into Lagos of educated Africans who had earlier been sold as slaves, from Sierra Leone, Brazil and Cuba. The Sierra Leonians were known as Akus or Saros, the Brazilians and Cubans as Agudas.

In the 1880s there were four distinct groups in Lagos – the Europeans, the educated Africans (Saros), the Brazilians and the indigenes. The town was physically divided into four quarters corresponding to these groups. The Europeans lived on the Marina, the Saros mainly west of the Europeans in an area called Olowogbowo, the Brazilians behind the Europeans – their quarter was known as Portuguese Town or Popo Aguda or Popo Maro – and the indigenes on the rest of the island – behind all three. By 1888 there were 3,221 Brazilians in Lagos. A prominent member of the Brazilian group was Placido Adeyemo Assumpçao who later changed his name to Adeyemo Alakija.

Fanti Carnival (also known as Caretta) was brought to Lagos Island by these Brazilians who settled around Campos area in Lagos State and on Lagos Island to be specific. The carnival comes up three times in a year, Boxing Day, Easter Monday (the first celebration after Lent and Easter Sunday) and on New Years Day. As time went on, the people living in Lafiaji area, also on Lagos Island, started participating in the carnival. Later still, other areas of Lagos, like Obalende, Surulere, Yaba, etc caught the carnival bug.

The carnival was a time of fun, laughter and merriment. However, from the 1970s to the early 2000s, the great Lagos festivals of Carnival, Eyo and Egungun were marred by violence between youths from different sections of Lagos or groups of masquerades. These festivals became synonymous with injury, destruction and death.

The Lagos State Government, headed by Babatunde Fashola, decided to get involved in organising the Carnival and Eyo Festival in order to ensure that activities are conducted in a safe and secure environment and that it serves as a means to attract tourists to the state. Government involvement has returned the carnival and eyo festival to what they were known for; laughter, music, dancing and merriment.

Government agencies such as LASTMA, LASAMBUS, RRS, Operation Mesa, Neighbourhood Watch, etc are fully mobilised to ensure that the event is hitch free. Corporate bodies are involved in sponsoring segments of the carnival, with some providing free food, drinks and souvenirs for celebrants. There are also open top double-decker buses that give tourists a great view of the festivities. Famous musicians such as 9ice also perform at the carnival.

A new innovation was added to the celebration of carnival with the introduction of the junior carnival. Primary and Secondary schools on Lagos Island are invited to send students to represent their schools at the junior carnival.

The procession usually kicks off at the Tafawa Balewa Square. Some floats then proceed along Awolowo Road up to Falomo Roundabout and back to Tafawa Balewa Square. Another kick off point is Campos Square on Lagos Island. Celebrants parade down Igbosere Road, Broad Street, Catholic Mission Street, Marina Street and on to Tafawa Balewa Square. Some floats go through Ozumba Mbadiwe Road and Ahmadu Bello Way on Victoria Island on their way to the Tafawa Balewa Square.

The Lagos Carnival 2012 will take place on Easter Monday, 9th of April 2012 from 10am till 6pm. Admission into the Tafawa Balewa Square is free. Admission to the VIP stands is strictly by invitation. It is advisable to park your car at the Marina car park and other designated car parks on Lagos Island. Awolowo Road, Bourdillon Road, Igbosere Road, Catholic Mission Street, Bamgboshe Street, King George V Road and the approaches to Tafawa Balewa Square will be closed to traffic. However, BRT buses will be provided to convey members of the public to the TBS for free. Focal points for this year's carnival include Tafawa Balewa Square, Campos Square and Giwa Barracks (Kingsway Road) Ikoyi. Sponsors of the Lagos Carnival 2012 include MTN, Maltina Eko Hotel and Ecobank. Performing at the Tafawa Balewa Square this year are musicians such as 9ice, WhizKid and Eldee.

Please feel free to post pictures of your carnival experience and tell us what’s happening where you are.

The costumes were made by people from the Lagos State Skills Acquisition Centre.

Unemployed people can apply to attend the centre. Area boys and girls (now called good boys and girls) are rehabilitated and tested for drugs. They are detoxified if they've got drugs in their system. They are then sent to the skills acquisition centre to learn a trade.

Destitutes and the unemployed also attend the centre.

The costumes are given to the participants for free (sponsors take care of the costs). http://www.lagosindicatoronline.com/Fashola_commissions.html

They've also been able to attract more sponsors (MTN, First Bank, Maltina, etc for the carnival and Glo and others for Eyo festival).

Government involvement includes planning the routes the procession will take and deploying agencies such as LASTMA, LASAMBUS, RRS, etc to ensure that the violence and disorderliness of the past does not return.

However, some people do not like the fact that the TBS is now the focal point for the Eyo Festival. It used to be the Eyo Arcade @ Idumota.
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 9:36am On May 11, 2012
naptu2:

It was a mixture of everything. I've already posted the Gelede (Yoruba) and Fulani groups. I couldn't get a pic of the Igbo group (I wasn't fast enough) sponsored by MTN. There were more masquerades both at the carnival and the boat regatta on sunday. But remember, carnival was brought to Lagos about a hundred and fifty years ago by the Brazilian returnees who had assimilated Brazilian culture. You've got to have some of that culture to make it complete.
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by Abagworo(m): 9:56am On May 11, 2012
london2lasgidi:

Why are you so retarded?

Have you ever heard about Lagos fanti carnival?? Fanti carnival started way before calabar became a state.

By the way, Afro-Brazilians form a good percentage of Lagosians, and I'm happen to be one of them on my paternal side. My surname is Pereira, and I'm from Campos, in Lagos Island.

You are not getting my points. That environment is too damn dirty and ugly to showcase to me. It makes me not want to visit Lagos. Take a look at the Calabar carnival pictures and you will feel like going for the next Calabar carnival. I invited some foreigners for the Port-Harcourt carnival and was ashamed at the end of the day. I'd rather go for something more traditional like the Osun festival or Argungu fishing festival than to waste my resources on this.
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by Abagworo(m): 10:15am On May 11, 2012
london2lasgidi:

Why are you so retarded?

Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by Nellioo(m): 10:34am On May 11, 2012
I don't like "τ̣̣ђё " people comments here at times
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by kemisuga(f): 11:12am On May 11, 2012
Nice One.
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by Nobody: 9:06pm On May 11, 2012
Brazilian? No.

Trinidadians started carnival and introduced it to Brazil.
Let's get it right.
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by Nobody: 9:07pm On May 11, 2012
alj harem:

Errmmmmm wrong ma, When brazilains adopt our culture (Yoruba) we did not complain, what is wrong in adopting theirs as well.

Cultures change very day, that is the way life is

Also we have a significant population of Brazilians in Lagos as Indigenes, thus it is show casting their culture as well.

lol.

i wont even bother...
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by aljharem(m): 9:21pm On May 11, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

lol.

i wont even bother...

My sister don't bother because......
MsDarkSkin: Brazilian? No.

Trinidadians started carnival and introduced it to Brazil.
Let's get it right.

Hmmmmm, you people don start again o !

Oya my sister what year did trinidadian get to brazil not to even talk of introducing a culture to them ?

According to this link, it start way before 1840

http://www.afropop.org/multi/feature/ID/33/

BTW, you no be jamo again ?
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by aljharem(m): 9:23pm On May 11, 2012
For those that don't know fanti. Here are the Brazilian communities explaining things to you all

"In a bid to improve cultural and tourism potentials of Lagos, the Lagos State Government is hosting a series of cultural festivals and competitions, these reaches a climax with the Lagos Brazillian Fanti Carnival which holds on April 5, 2010... Event Village is hereby partnering with the Lagos State Government in hosting people for the Carnivals. Please be informed that the Fanti Carnival is the premier carnival procession in West Africa, it started in 1891 and this year's is going to be bigger and better because it is been sponsored by Unity Bank, Lagos State Government and other private individuals."

http://fr-fr.facebook.com/events/367404202438/
Re: Colourful Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by jambogini: 6:21am On May 12, 2012
Am so much happy to see this innovation, i hope one day the ibos wold emulate such carnival to the south east, it is very fresh and unique and attractive. I love lagosians although am ibo. More grease to ur elbow

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2015: Only God Will Decide My Fate —fintiri / Pdp’ll Win Over 90% Votes -akpabio / Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.