Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,129 members, 7,818,386 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami (20359 Views)

Dolapo Osinbajo And Her First Cousin Segun Awolowo / why Igbos In NFF Block Segun Odegbami From Contesting For FIFA President / Segun Adewale Allegedly Fires Shots Into APC Campaign Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Jeel: 2:58am On May 12, 2012
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by naptu2: 5:42am On May 12, 2012
Yekini Was Killed —Odegbami

Former Nigerian international, Segun Odegbami, MON, alleged in a stunning interview Friday on Channels Television that former African Footballer of the Year, Rashidi Yekini might have been killed by those who forcefully took him away from his home.

Odegbami also called on the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar to probe what led to the reasons the late Yekini was chained and taken away from his residence by unknown people.

The former captain of the Green Eagles of Nigeria opined that the former Vitoria Setubal of Portugal striker was sane but depressed after losing a huge sum of money in a business deal.

He opined that the deceased, who scored Nigeria’s first goal at the World Cup in 1994, was a recluse, stating that when some people alleged that he was insane and took him to the police station, they were rebuffed by the Commissioner of Police in Oyo State.

“Is it a hospital or herbal centre? Why did they take him there? There was absolutely nothing wrong with Rashidi. You’ve been hearing stories and all kinds of reports about Rashidi being mad, walking the streets of Ibadan and all those things, saying he was abnormal. Who would have done normal things, if you lost your fortunes the way he did? He suffered huge financial loss, about two years ago and because he didn’t have any friend.”

Odegbami, who has just returned from Harvard University, USA where he had attended a conference, added: “he could not even share his pains and burden with people. He could have committed suicide but he didn’t. Rather, he behaved abnormally for a while and that was the cause of his depression and it was something that time has healed because the Rashidi I saw was okay.”

He further argued: “how could an insane person drive a car? Rashidi and I met at Onireke Guest House. He carried me in his car, just the two of us and we sat for over one hour. He unburdened his challenges to me and he decided that from now onwards that Rashidi was going to get back into the limelight.”

Odegbami also disclosed that plans were in top gear by First Bank of Nigeria to make the late striker of Gateway Football Club of Abeokuta an ambassador, where he would distribute 5,000 balls to young footballers and when the late striker heard that his eyes lit up.

Odegbami, who owns The International Academy, TIA, Wasimi, Ogun State spoke about the planned programme with First Bank. “I was not going to arrange interviews for you, where people will laugh at you. The plan was to make you do what you know how to do best, play football, train with kids, distribute balls to kids,” Odegbami said he told Yekini.

He also disclosed that SuperSport were interested in what was happening to Yekini and when they heard First Bank was about to make him an ambassador they tried to do a documentary on him.

On how he heard of the demise of the former striker, Odegbami said: “I came back from Ethiopia, called his mobile phone but it didn’t go. I called one of his friends, Bayo and he said he too had been calling Yekini but, no response. It was a premeditated death. Who were those that went to take him away? Why did they take him away? If he was ill, who certified that he was ill? He played football on that day, he was driving his car, he was not disturbing anybody. He had his own problem. Rashidi had always been a recluse, even when he was playing for Nigeria and getting all the awards and everything. Rashidi was not somebody that you will find in the party, he never smoked, he didn’t care about material things.”

Odegbami spoke on how Yekini was abducted by some people after he parked his car, arguing that those behind his abduction must be fished out.

“His neighbours said they saw two spiritual people, one was a relative, the other very close to him. They said they wanted to cure him or something and the police had said that when Rashidi had this depressive problem, they took him to the Commissioner of Police and the commissioner told them that ‘it was you people that have problems not this young man that I’m seeing. Nobody should take him anywhere without the presence of the Police,”

Odegbami called on the Federal Government and the National Sports Commission, NSC, to pay closer attention to ex-sports people because a lot of them have been forgotten after winning laurels for the country.

—Adebobola Alawode

3 Likes

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by belovedaja(m): 7:56am On May 12, 2012
Can the police unravel this. Oh what a wicked world.

1 Like

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by aykabba(m): 11:32am On May 12, 2012
May his soul rest in peace
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by ZUBY77(m): 11:33am On May 12, 2012
Yea, he was in a shirt tussle with osaze odemwingie on who will be leading the Super Eagles attack. He also wanted the captain band from YOBO: all this are enough evidence that motivated his opponents to whisker him away in the middle of the night and murdered him.
Mr Segun Odegbami, havent you heard of autopsy before? What did it say?

1 Like

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by rastamouse: 11:35am On May 12, 2012
naptu2: Yekini Was Killed —Odegbami

Former Nigerian international, Segun Odegbami, MON, alleged in a stunning interview Friday on Channels Television that former African Footballer of the Year, Rashidi Yekini might have been killed by those who forcefully took him away from his home.

Odegbami also called on the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar to probe what led to the reasons the late Yekini was chained and taken away from his residence by unknown people.

The former captain of the Green Eagles of Nigeria opined that the former Vitoria Setubal of Portugal striker was sane but depressed after losing a huge sum of money in a business deal.

He opined that the deceased, who scored Nigeria’s first goal at the World Cup in 1994, was a recluse, stating that when some people alleged that he was insane and took him to the police station, they were rebuffed by the Commissioner of Police in Oyo State.

“Is it a hospital or herbal centre? Why did they take him there? There was absolutely nothing wrong with Rashidi. You’ve been hearing stories and all kinds of reports about Rashidi being mad, walking the streets of Ibadan and all those things, saying he was abnormal. Who would have done normal things, if you lost your fortunes the way he did? He suffered huge financial loss, about two years ago and because he didn’t have any friend.”

Odegbami, who has just returned from Harvard University, USA where he had attended a conference, added: “he could not even share his pains and burden with people. He could have committed suicide but he didn’t. Rather, he behaved abnormally for a while and that was the cause of his depression and it was something that time has healed because the Rashidi I saw was okay.”

He further argued: “how could an insane person drive a car? Rashidi and I met at Onireke Guest House. He carried me in his car, just the two of us and we sat for over one hour. He unburdened his challenges to me and he decided that from now onwards that Rashidi was going to get back into the limelight.”

Odegbami also disclosed that plans were in top gear by First Bank of Nigeria to make the late striker of Gateway Football Club of Abeokuta an ambassador, where he would distribute 5,000 balls to young footballers and when the late striker heard that his eyes lit up.

Odegbami, who owns The International Academy, TIA, Wasimi, Ogun State spoke about the planned programme with First Bank. “I was not going to arrange interviews for you, where people will laugh at you. The plan was to make you do what you know how to do best, play football, train with kids, distribute balls to kids,” Odegbami said he told Yekini.

He also disclosed that SuperSport were interested in what was happening to Yekini and when they heard First Bank was about to make him an ambassador they tried to do a documentary on him.

On how he heard of the demise of the former striker, Odegbami said: “I came back from Ethiopia, called his mobile phone but it didn’t go. I called one of his friends, Bayo and he said he too had been calling Yekini but, no response. It was a premeditated death. Who were those that went to take him away? Why did they take him away? If he was ill, who certified that he was ill? He played football on that day, he was driving his car, he was not disturbing anybody. He had his own problem. Rashidi had always been a recluse, even when he was playing for Nigeria and getting all the awards and everything. Rashidi was not somebody that you will find in the party, he never smoked, he didn’t care about material things.”

Odegbami spoke on how Yekini was abducted by some people after he parked his car, arguing that those behind his abduction must be fished out.

“His neighbours said they saw two spiritual people, one was a relative, the other very close to him. They said they wanted to cure him or something and the police had said that when Rashidi had this depressive problem, they took him to the Commissioner of Police and the commissioner told them that ‘it was you people that have problems not this young man that I’m seeing. Nobody should take him anywhere without the presence of the Police,”

Odegbami called on the Federal Government and the National Sports Commission, NSC, to pay closer attention to ex-sports people because a lot of them have been forgotten after winning laurels for the country.

—Adebobola Alawode

See contradiction grin cheesy
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by onyengbu: 11:38am On May 12, 2012
Yoruba people have just wasted our hero for their stupid juju beliefs!
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Ganiyyah(f): 11:45am On May 12, 2012
rastamouse:

Abnormal behaviour is not a life-threatening illness, that's what Odegbami meant. Get it!

5 Likes

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by naptu2: 11:50am On May 12, 2012
rastamouse:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Rashidi.

Rather, he behaved abnormally for a while and that was the cause of his depression and it was something that time has healed because the Rashidi I saw was okay.”
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by mekulonaire(m): 12:05pm On May 12, 2012
its a pity yekini many problem in 1,
he was rebuffed by our govt, financial loss ,a derelict YEKINI
And finally he is DEAD,wat a pity
may his soul rest in 'p' peace
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by bisiaet: 12:06pm On May 12, 2012
[quote]Yoruba people have just wasted our hero for their silly juju beliefs!

I'm so ashamed of you for what you have just said above. Why do we Igbo people like covering our own a s s and be attacking other people a s s? The kind of evil perpetraited in a day in the East alone is worst than any evil done in any other tribe for a whole year this is honest truth and 'am not afraid to say it because honest ones amongs us know the truth of what am saying.

Yekini death is not issue of Yoruba or juju get that right what I expect a sane person to say is what cause his death and who are those that came to bundle him and what was their mission? And who gave the permission to forcefully evicted him for healing? And not nonsense blablabla Yoruba juju stupid talk. No tribe has the monopoly of evil deed every tribe is guilty of it so get your head in a right place and talk something sensible rather than tribalising a sensitive issue like the death of an hero okay!!!.

16 Likes

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by sleazyrick(m): 12:15pm On May 12, 2012
I agree wit you my brother ..his family should be investigated including the clinic he was taking to,and why was his burial rushed without aautopsy for somebody of his status..cos i hav seen a lot of mad people who sleep on dis cold lagos streets none of dem don die ..for those wey kill am make dey no die again na
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Nobody: 12:17pm On May 12, 2012
"NPF do fish out his killers?"they will set up a committee to look in to the matter,and give up their finding a year later to the legislative,what next
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by honeric01(m): 12:21pm On May 12, 2012
This is not news, i knew right from the onset that he was murdered. Being depressed is an occurence popular in Nigeria, but we dont see it that way. This must be investigated.

1 Like

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by cyril83(m): 12:23pm On May 12, 2012
Wat a wicked world!....
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Whymee: 12:24pm On May 12, 2012
It's unfortunate Rashidi Yekini had to pay with his life.

He was abducted by spiritualist at his residence.

THESE ARE MESSAGES AND IDEA COOKED AND BOXED IN OUR PSYCHOLOGY BY NIGERIAN MOVIE, EXPECIALLY YORUBA MOVIE.

THEY ALWAYS MADE US BELIEVE THAT THERE ARE HEALING THRU SPIRITUAL CRUEL MEANS.

May your soul rest in peace.

We shall surely miss you.
Adieu Yekini.

2 Likes

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Nobody: 12:25pm On May 12, 2012
onye_ngbu*:

did they kidnap him to okija shrine ? Bloody asswipe tongue
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by rastamouse: 12:29pm On May 12, 2012
Ganiyyah:

Abnormal behaviour is not a life-threatening illness, that's what Odegbami meant. Get it!

Did you read stories about the guy's last days? He was a wreck and danger to even his neighbors. Whatever was wrong with him ate his health out and his decision to throw everyone out of his life ended it for him.

The guy was just sick and what the mathematician is saying does not hold. What prevented him from helping Yekini if he really cared that much about him?
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by shadrach77: 12:34pm On May 12, 2012
the situation is very clear. He was murdered. He had been depressed for two years but never died. How come he only died after his family members took him away? Even on the day they came to take him away, he had just driven himself into his compound when they arrived and chained him. Is it possible for a mad man to drive? The truth of the matter is that his family were after his wealth and they knew the only way thy could gain access to it was to kill him angry sad sad

1 Like

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by naptu2: 12:38pm On May 12, 2012
rastamouse:

Did you read stories about the guy's last days? He was a wreck and danger to even his neighbors. Whatever was wrong with him ate his health out and his decision to throw everyone out of his life ended it for him.

The guy was just sick and what the mathematician is saying does not hold. What prevented him from helping Yekini if he really cared that much about him?

Did you read the article? Did you see where Segun said he had gotten him deals with First Bank and Super Sport? (Segun wrote about the deals earlier this year, but didn't name the companies cos they were still negotiating).
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by IYANGBALI: 12:38pm On May 12, 2012
onye_ngbu*:
must you tribalise the issue?if you do not have anythn meaningful to contribue to the thread STFU,oponu ode.

1 Like

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by baslone: 12:56pm On May 12, 2012
rastamouse:

Didn't you read him also saying Rasheed was okay!
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Dede1(m): 1:00pm On May 12, 2012
God, please forbid the bad thing. Yoruba peep’s hunger for money had led to the death of a MON. After watching the Yoruba people denigrate others on the love for money, I am stunned to read that Yoruba can not only run mad but kill because of money (owo).
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by espn(m): 1:01pm On May 12, 2012
Anytime ders a thread dats connected to yorubas or hausas..one fin dats certain is dat igbos here on nairaland wld say sumfin negative abt it..whether its gud or bad..buh if its a thread abt igbos..al dey do is to praise der people..buh u wld neva see any yoruba or hausa to say sumfin bad..u guyz v a big prob..even wen it cums to religious issue..u wld hardly see a yoruba guy or ga who is a xtainl say sumfin abt d opposite religion..buh u can be sure of gettin negative comments frm igbos(xtain)..I guess dis is mere infiriority complex..nonsense!

2 Likes

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Abagworo(m): 1:03pm On May 12, 2012
The genesis of Yekini's problem is the genesis of our downfall in football as a Nation. The super eagles mafia. Because of envy, they frustrated Yekini out of football and got him isolated. It was not only Yekini but many other footballers of that time. They hand picked those that would feature for super eagles and could make a player helpless on the pitch. Our Government didn't even help matters by joining in this neglect.
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by rastamouse: 1:03pm On May 12, 2012
naptu2:

Did you read the article? Did you see where Segun said he had gotten him deals with First Bank and Super Sport? (Segun wrote about the deals earlier this year, but didn't name the companies cos they were still negotiating).

Do you think Yekini's problem was money? The guy withdrew all his lifetime savings and threw then in the street for people to pick. He was just plain crazy and there is no conspiracy
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by utimayor(m): 1:08pm On May 12, 2012
@bisiaet, shatap
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Nobody: 1:28pm On May 12, 2012
[quote author=bisiaet][/quote] c u n ur grama. U nobe igbo pesin stop pretending 2 be one. "Death of an hero" waz dat al u learnt abt d relationship btw vowels n d alphabet h? Go bak 2 ojota primary skul jor.
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by bknight: 1:32pm On May 12, 2012
I saw him once in d 90s and looking back now, there really was something weird abt him.

RIP Yekini. So long as we remember that tournament in our history, u'll always be remembered.
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Onyenna(m): 1:34pm On May 12, 2012
onye_ngbu*:

Bros, why are u talking like this?.... It's your kind that cause hatred between yorubas and igbos.....abeg, mind how you talk....wetin yorubas do you?....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Just In: Gunmen Abduct Ribadu’s Brother / Eye-Witness: AGIP Oil Company Port Harcourt Barricaded- Pictures / SKC Ogbonnia: How Oshiomhole Will Cause Buhari's Defeat In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.