Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,120 members, 7,814,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

The Wedding Cake - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Wedding Cake (5422 Views)

Check Out Dj Xclusive’s Traditional Wedding Cake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Wedding Cake by ATMC(f): 8:36am On May 12, 2012
The cutting of cake is an old tradition at wedding events. Nowadays, its as though no wedding ceremony is complete without d cutting of cake. It recently cut across traditional marriage ceremony. At most weddings, a special time is reserved for d cutting of cake. At such time, witnesses are called to observe d very 'first' task the couple r embarking on. D bride holds d knife while d groom's hand rests atop d bride's nd they cut d cake. This act depicts dt d woman is 'under' the man nd so is suppose to submit to him. But on a second thought, its wrong, because it shows d woman is d one carrying out the first task with d man helping...little wonder most women dt did dt end up being d bread winner at d long run. I think d correct position should be the man's hand on d knife nd d woman's hand underneath his wrist as d help she is...

1 Like

Re: The Wedding Cake by ifyalways(f): 9:46am On May 13, 2012
Chei,theories!
Re: The Wedding Cake by ATMC(f): 8:24pm On May 14, 2012
Talking about submission in marriage, men r quick to say 'my wife does not respect me, yet she claims to be a christian, has she not read it in d bible- wives submit to ur own husband'. Unmarried guys r quick to say 'i want to marry a woman who will respect me' and marriage counselors r quick to tell us that d first need of a man is respect. I once heard someone share dt d reason men sleep with their househelps nd secretaries is because these ones respect them nd so they r attracted to them. Well, i know dt when a man says my wife does not respect me, there is more to dt statement. There was a day i followed a friend to a certain man's house, this man has been complaining to my friend dt his wife does not respect him, so on dt day, as we were in his house, his wife served him food; when d woman left, d man turned to my friend nd said 'u see what i've been telling u, she does not have respect for me' dt left me wondering. What exactly did she do, she served d food with a fine plate in a good tray. There were about 3 piece of meat in d soup. What could be d problem? Could it be dt he told her dt he does not like fufu in d afternoon or is it dt she knows dt he does not like d kind of soup she prepared, yet she cooked it? Or is it dt he wanted her to sit by him when he is eating? What could d issue be? I may not know what d problem really is but i know dt d summary is dt she is NOT submissive according to him...
Re: The Wedding Cake by ifyalways(f): 9:01pm On May 14, 2012
Humor me . . .
Re: The Wedding Cake by ATMC(f): 5:13pm On May 15, 2012
To d unmarried dt want to marry a woman who will respect them, i have this question for u. How will u know this woman respects u nd d other does not? I ask this question cos i know dt what triggers disrespect in this woman may not in another. For instance, 'A' may be d type dt washes clothes nd is in d habit of washing her boyfriends clothes nd d guy concludes dt she respects him not knowing dt she's doing what she loves doing nd not necessarily respecting him. But here is 'B', who likes cooking nd keeping d house neat struggling to wash his clothes...he chooses A over her nd years after their marriage, tries to drum it into her head dt he is D MAN, Dt she must respect him...lol, You see, d choice is not usually based on d real but on d apparent. From d above examples, i can say respect is not measured outrightly cos its relative. What i regard as respect, u may not regard as respect cos of d influence of culture.
Re: The Wedding Cake by Ptolomeus(m): 5:50pm On May 16, 2012
I will not comment on issues of submission and much less religious.
Traditionally, it is for the woman to take the knife and with the help of man (the man's hand on the woman's hand) cut the cake.
She (the woman) will be who distribute food from the family, with the support of man, and that is what is represented in the act, because ultimately the cake is cut by both (man and woman).
Now, that's what make the traditions, and the explanation of why it is that way.
Now if someone sees this as demeaning to women, or man, or that their religion does not allow you to do that because it is sin, there is another possibility:
Let each guest take a piece of cake by hand and enter it into the mouth of the nearest guest ... If you do not have someone close to the cake in your mouth, you can throw at a distance.
This prevents anyone from committing sins, or feel humiliated ... besides being great fun.
Re: The Wedding Cake by Nobody: 6:34pm On May 16, 2012
All of this on top cake? undecided

ATMC: Talking about submission in marriage, men r quick to say 'my wife does not respect me, yet she claims to be a christian, has she not read it in d bible- wives submit to ur own husband'. Unmarried guys r quick to say 'i want to marry a woman who will respect me' and marriage counselors r quick to tell us that d first need of a man is respect. I once heard someone share dt d reason men sleep with their househelps nd secretaries is because these ones respect them nd so they r attracted to them. Well, i know dt when a man says my wife does not respect me, there is more to dt statement. There was a day i followed a friend to a certain man's house, this man has been complaining to my friend dt his wife does not respect him, so on dt day, as we were in his house, his wife served him food; when d woman left, d man turned to my friend nd said 'u see what i've been telling u, she does not have respect for me' dt left me wondering. What exactly did she do, she served d food with a fine plate in a good tray. There were about 3 piece of meat in d soup. What could be d problem? Could it be dt he told her dt he does not like fufu in d afternoon or is it dt she knows dt he does not like d kind of soup she prepared, yet she cooked it? Or is it dt he wanted her to sit by him when he is eating? What could d issue be? I may not know what d problem really is but i know dt d summary is dt she is NOT submissive according to him...

My dear, it's still a man's world or preferably let them think it is. grin All you have to do as a woman is to devise means to get your way. grin Use you God given feminine talents to get your way and you'd see yourself smiling to the bank. You see men are very easy to understand, just kiss their egos (that's what they call [i]respect [/i]but we all know they want their egos kissed, hehehe). It is them that have much work to do in understanding the complicated nature of women. Don't worry your head over all these your theories, just channel your energy into what I've said. They can call it pretense, but I call it understanding the system. grin This is how you rule the marriage/family, you can leave all the gra gra at the work place. wink
Re: The Wedding Cake by Ptolomeus(m): 7:36pm On May 16, 2012
Mhhhhh
I instead I rebel against that machismo ...
Women need not be humiliated like that.
I would take the cake, and before the eyes of all the burst in the face of my husband, and the surplus remaining in my hands, so would in the face of my father ...
Then I would stand on the table and break all kicking screaming
"Do not cut the cake with the knife as a simple woman ..."
"Long live feminism!"
Re: The Wedding Cake by ifyalways(f): 7:41pm On May 16, 2012
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Now Ptolemus that was darn funny.thread is getting more "steamy" if I may add. . .
Re: The Wedding Cake by Nobody: 8:10pm On May 16, 2012
Lol at kicking and screaming. grin What a funny sight.
Re: The Wedding Cake by Ptolomeus(m): 9:01pm On May 16, 2012
ifyalways: cheesy cheesy cheesy
Now Ptolemus that was darn funny.thread is getting more "steamy" if I may add. . .
Lol Thanks for the wonderful sense of humor ...
Life without humor would be meaningless.
There is no malice in what I posted, but my desire to laugh a little together.
A big hug!
Re: The Wedding Cake by ATMC(f): 9:10pm On May 16, 2012
Ptolomeus: I will not comment on issues of submission and much less religious.
Traditionally, it is for the woman to take the knife and with the help of man (the man's hand on the woman's hand) cut the cake.
She (the woman) will be who distribute food from the family, with the support of man, and that is what is represented in the act, because ultimately the cake is cut by both (man and woman).
Now, that's what make the traditions, and the explanation of why it is that way.
Now if someone sees this as demeaning to women, or man, or that their religion does not allow you to do that because it is sin, there is another possibility:
Let each guest take a piece of cake by hand and enter it into the mouth of the nearest guest ... If you do not have someone close to the cake in your mouth, you can throw at a distance.
This prevents anyone from committing sins, or feel humiliated ... besides being great fun.
it won't make sense nah...but u know traditions were made by man hence 'd traditions of men' nd this proves it could be faulty atimes cos man isn't perfect so from time to time, there ought to be an upgrading to suit our modern society. Dt's d angle am even coming from- there's something wrong with d woman doing d major part of d first work they 're assigned to seeing dt she's to be a helper...dt's my point, she should help as d man do d cutting, u get me
Re: The Wedding Cake by ATMC(f): 9:12pm On May 16, 2012
Ptolomeus: Mhhhhh
I instead I rebel against that machismo ...
Women need not be humiliated like that.
I would take the cake, and before the eyes of all the burst in the face of my husband, and the surplus remaining in my hands, so would in the face of my father ...
Then I would stand on the table and break all kicking screaming
"Do not cut the cake with the knife as a simple woman ..."
"Long live feminism!"
lol @long live feminism...NO SUCH THING AS FEMINISM ok.
Re: The Wedding Cake by ATMC(f): 9:14pm On May 16, 2012
Take a chill pill...to be continued soon
Re: The Wedding Cake by ATMC(f): 9:16pm On May 16, 2012
ifyalways: cheesy cheesy cheesy
glad to have u on board.
Re: The Wedding Cake by Ptolomeus(m): 5:20pm On May 17, 2012
ATMC: it won't make sense nah...but u know traditions were made by man hence 'd traditions of men' nd this proves it could be faulty atimes cos man isn't perfect so from time to time, there ought to be an upgrading to suit our modern society. Dt's d angle am even coming from- there's something wrong with d woman doing d major part of d first work they 're assigned to seeing dt she's to be a helper...dt's my point, she should help as d man do d cutting, u get me

I'm not so sure qu and traditions were made by men. In my opinion, the two sexes created. I do not see female submission by cutting a cake, nor to do it with the hand of her husband ...
Honestly, if you look at every act of our life with that vision, we would end up going out naked into the street (just to give an example)
And probably would be fun ...
I also wonder if at the time asking her if "she accepts as her husband" ... it is an invented tradition that men ... if so, probably the most appropriate response is: "and what the hell you care?"
Finally, you made ​​me think that marriage itself is probably a tradition invented by men ...
In that case I think it's best not to marry, that way you avoid the problem of cutting the cake and many other traditions that will surely invented by men.
Just a question:
You wear skirt? I think that's also a tradition invented by man ...
Re: The Wedding Cake by ATMC(f): 10:32pm On Jun 15, 2012
Ptolomeus:

I'm not so sure qu and traditions were made by men. In my opinion, the two sexes created. I do not see female submission by cutting a cake, nor to do it with the hand of her husband ...
Honestly, if you look at every act of our life with that vision, we would end up going out naked into the street (just to give an example)
And probably would be fun ...
I also wonder if at the time asking her if "she accepts as her husband" ... it is an invented tradition that men ... if so, probably the most appropriate response is: "and what the hell you care?"
Finally, you made me think that marriage itself is probably a tradition invented by men ...
In that case I think it's best not to marry, that way you avoid the problem of cutting the cake and many other traditions that will surely invented by men.
Just a question:
You wear skirt? I think that's also a tradition invented by man ...
good thought, but was marriage man's intention or wedding? Yeah i wear skirt then trousers. I doubt skirts were invented by man, this is cos i know god sowed adam some fig nd d style is skirt.
Re: The Wedding Cake by anonymous6(f): 10:39am On Jun 18, 2012
ATMC: The cutting of cake is an old tradition at wedding events. Nowadays, its as though no wedding ceremony is complete without d cutting of cake. It recently cut across traditional marriage ceremony. At most weddings, a special time is reserved for d cutting of cake. At such time, witnesses are called to observe d very 'first' task the couple r embarking on. D bride holds d knife while d groom's hand rests atop d bride's nd they cut d cake. This act depicts dt d woman is 'under' the man nd so is suppose to submit to him. But on a second thought, its wrong, because it shows d woman is d one carrying out the first task with d man helping...little wonder most women dt did dt end up being d bread winner at d long run. I think d correct position should be the man's hand on d knife nd d woman's hand underneath his wrist as d help she is...

I don't think any of this has to do with the cake, maybe wedding vows when they say women have to obey and all that you have a point, which is being corrected now a days but a cake, I don't think so; many women are smashing cake in their mens faces after cutting it so I don't think so.
Re: The Wedding Cake by ATMC(f): 12:56pm On Jun 18, 2012
anonymous6:

I don't think any of this has to do with the cake, maybe wedding vows when they say women have to obey and all that you have a point, which is being corrected now a days but a cake, I don't think so; many women are smashing cake in their mens faces after cutting it so I don't think so.
lol @ ur last statement. It's not about d cutting of d cake but d positions of their hands during d act. U get? Something is not right like i said before because it leaves d bride with d main task during nd afterwards in most cases.
Re: The Wedding Cake by anonymous6(f): 1:08pm On Jun 18, 2012
ATMC: lol @ ur last statement. It's not about d cutting of d cake but d positions of their hands during d act. U get? Something is not right like i said before because it leaves d bride with d main task during nd afterwards in most cases.

well I never thought of it that way, any way to me it is just for show or display, I don't think for the most part it is setting up the bride to be beneath the husband
Re: The Wedding Cake by Ptolomeus(m): 4:45pm On Jun 18, 2012
Let's see.
Beyond the cutting of the cake ...
In a wedding party,
1. is celebrated with joy the event. Dance, and music.
2. Food is consumed, which is also a desire of abundance for the new couple.,
3. At the end of the holiday sweet foods are consumed ... This expresses the desire for sweetness ... always firing someone with a sweet food is a desire for sweetness.
They are a series of symbolic acts, desires are expressed through acts ...
Honestly I do not see any of that macho ... anything that denigrates women, on the contrary!
But also ... us analyze a little ... We are judging the cutting of the cake, and no one has asked "why is there a cake?"
Warm greetings to all, dear friends!
Re: The Wedding Cake by ATMC(f): 6:27pm On Jun 18, 2012
Ptolomeus: Let's see.
Beyond the cutting of the cake ...
In a wedding party,
1. is celebrated with joy the event. Dance, and music.
2. Food is consumed, which is also a desire of abundance for the new couple.,
3. At the end of the holiday sweet foods are consumed ... This expresses the desire for sweetness ... always firing someone with a sweet food is a desire for sweetness.
They are a series of symbolic acts, desires are expressed through acts ...
Honestly I do not see any of that macho ... anything that denigrates women, on the contrary!
But also ... us analyze a little ... We are judging the cutting of the cake, and no one has asked "why is there a cake?"
Warm greetings to all, dear friends!
lol, take ur time o. Must u make a joke outta every. I go punch u o! I'm talking of something serious nd u r jonesing. On top every every, u still dey ask y cake is there...ha'ba! It's representing nah, a symbol of many tins such as d sweetness of marriage, d bitterness, unity in performance of task: d cutting. Nd this is where d issue lies...whose hand should be atop nd y. U already saw my take on dt. I wan hear ya own
Re: The Wedding Cake by Ptolomeus(m): 9:24pm On Jun 18, 2012
ATMC: lol, take ur time o. Must u make a joke outta every. I go punch u o! I'm talking of something serious nd u r jonesing. On top every every, u still dey ask y cake is there...ha'ba! It's representing nah, a symbol of many tins such as d sweetness of marriage, d bitterness, unity in performance of task: d cutting. Nd this is where d issue lies...whose hand should be atop nd y. U already saw my take on dt. I wan hear ya own

Wow, my English is so bad ... I almost do not understand hahahaha!
But I know that yours is a joke. Me too I love jokes!
I liked the idea of ​​throwing the cake in the face of the groom!
Funny things can happen in a marriage ...
Perhaps the funniest thing that can happen is that a cake of multi-storey fall at the time of cutting! ...

One thing you could invent, to prevent discrimination against women is that men marry skirt, pants and women ...
But ... women do not want to change back then?
(This is a joke)
It is pleasant to talk (or write) with you.

(1) (Reply)

Far East Asian Languages Are Near African Languages / Osun Police Not Aware Of Bench Warrant Of Arrest Against Oluwo / Gift For Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.