Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

Installing Windows On Acer Travelmate 2413 With Linux Os - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Installing Windows On Acer Travelmate 2413 With Linux Os (2159 Views)

How To Install Windows On Free Dos Hp Laptop / Help Install Windows On Chrome OS / Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Installing Windows On Acer Travelmate 2413 With Linux Os by Farriel(m): 9:54am On Mar 30, 2006
Acer Travelmate 2413 - Linux Os

This might sound a bit dumb, but I'm just curious. I intend picking up the aforementioned notebook but it comes preinstalled with a Linux OS. Fact is, with the Linux, it's 13,000 cheaper than it's Win XP (H) counterpart - so naturally, I shoud be eyeing it.

What I want to find out is, is it going to be a snitchy operation, reinstalling the sh*t with Win XP Pro after purchase? I know it should be fairly easy and straightforward an operation, but I'm just wanting to find out if this singular case of having a presinstalled Linux would cause some problems, since I haven't dealt with such a machine (a one with a preinstalled Linux OS) before.

If it is, I'd forget going for the Linux version and purchase a Win version, but if it would be done easily, I'd be travelling to Lagos fast and picking up the notebook at Gafunk's.
Re: Installing Windows On Acer Travelmate 2413 With Linux Os by jogego(m): 10:52am On Mar 30, 2006
Just out of curiosity, what flavour of Linux is it? In any case, I'd advise you get the Restoraton CD that came with the Laptop originally, if not, if you do a vanilla XP installation, you will end up searching for drivers up and down.
Re: Installing Windows On Acer Travelmate 2413 With Linux Os by Seun(m): 3:05pm On Mar 30, 2006
Since the laptop comes preintalled with Linux, the restoration CD will revert the laptop to the Linux OS when used. Fortunately, this means you can go back to Linux if the (pirated) Windows XP installation fails.
Re: Installing Windows On Acer Travelmate 2413 With Linux Os by jogego(m): 6:04pm On Mar 30, 2006
Am very sure that laptop left the factory with Win XP cos thats what the specs on Acer's website says.

http://us.acer.com/acereuro/page4.do?dau22.oid=11616&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=25&CountryISOCtxParam=US&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=2114447743

You need to confirm iff what you are buying is brand new or second user.
Re: Installing Windows On Acer Travelmate 2413 With Linux Os by timmy(m): 5:07pm On Mar 31, 2006
can u run windows on mac (no) so wats the deal with windowx on a box made for linux
Re: Installing Windows On Acer Travelmate 2413 With Linux Os by Farriel(m): 6:50pm On Apr 01, 2006
Yes, you can run Windows apps on the mac by using VirtualPC, not exactly like running Win XP on your mac, but at least it comes close. Thanks all the same guys. I've just been to Gafunk and have purchased the Win version. Had a terrible time getting to Lagos and back to PH.
Re: Installing Windows On Acer Travelmate 2413 With Linux Os by timmy(m): 9:01am On Apr 03, 2006
sorry man, we never still gotto meet embarassed sad
Re: Installing Windows On Acer Travelmate 2413 With Linux Os by Farriel(m): 1:40pm On Apr 04, 2006
Oh yeah,

(1) (Reply)

Notepad Secret / My Laptop Can't Recognize Any Kind Of Disc. Please Help! / Advertise On Yahoo Login Page Yahoo Mail Page And Yahoo Home Page

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.