Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Henry Okah: I Have Proof To Back My Claims - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Henry Okah: I Have Proof To Back My Claims (602 Views)

I Went To The Future Today And I Have Proof ! (+PICTURES) / Minister Releases Proof To Back Job Provision Claims / Henry Okah Arrested In South Africa For Abuja Bombing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Henry Okah: I Have Proof To Back My Claims by maclatunji: 10:16am On May 17, 2012
I’ve proof of my claims, says Okah

ABOUT a fortnight after the Presidency denied any deal with him, detained Movement for the Emancipation of Niger Delta (MEND) leader Henry Okah yesterday said he has text messages and letters to back his allegations.

Besides, Okah said he is not on trial, but that the South African government and its justice system are being tested.

The MEND chief has been detained in a South African prison since October 2, 2010.

He is on an 18-month trial at the South Gauteng High Court under the Terrorist Act’s Protection of Constitutional Democracy against Terrorist and Related Act, Act 33 of 2004.

Okah, who has been denied bail, is expected to face full trial on October 1.

While he is struggling for bail, an affidavit containing his defence against alleged terrorism leaked. The document indicted some Federal Government officials.

Although the Federal Government denied all the allegations, Okah remained adamant yesterday.

In an e-mail to The Nation, he said he will not wait till October 1 before making his evidence available to the public through the court.

The MEND leader, who denied any link with any terror group, said the evidence will be presented to the South African court for his bail application

He wrote: “Please note that I am not in a tell-all mode and my affidavit was a response to absurd claims made by the Nigerian government which, amongst others, attempted to link me with Islamic terror groups.

“Regarding MEND or its activities, I am unfortunately not in a position to offer any insights not already available in the public domain. I never negotiated nor accepted any financial payments or gifts from President Goodluck Jonathan directly or through his agents. I’m not a thug and have therefore, never offered such services to the President.

“I’ m a soldier for justice, not just to the people of the Niger Delta, but to all oppressed persons wherever I may be able to help.

“I have also never sought nor executed any contracts in Nigeria . I live a simple life devoid of all intrigues speculated in the Nigerian media.”

Asked why he levelled some allegations against some Federal Government officials, Okah insisted that his points have basis.

The MEND leader added: “Regarding my affidavit, anyone who knows me will confirm that I do not say things I cannot prove. Everything in my affidavit is supported by physical evidence, such as text messages, letters etc, quite unlike the bogus claims of the Nigerian and South African governments.

“Most evidence in my possession will be presented at my upcoming bail application so the Nigerian government does not have to wait till October 1 to meet me in court.”

“The lame response of the Nigerian government speaks volumes to the discerning mind.”

On his trial, Okah said: “The South African justice system is slow and, no matter how hard it tries, will be unable to cover up the fraud perpetrated by the South African government in my arrest and persecution.

“I perceive a number of people in South Africa to have been bribed by the Nigerian government which has influenced the decision to persist in this madness. Unlike the magistrate’s courts here which have little credibility, the High Court will not tolerate this nonsense. This explains the evasive tactics being employed by the South African government to delay my bail application and trial.”

Okah went on: “I’m not on trial here. The South African government and its justice system are on trial for allowing the hijack and abuse by a few corrupt South Africans and a lawless Nigerian government.”

In an affidavit filed in a South African court, Okah claimed that early April 2010, after Jonathan became Acting President a ministerial aspirant called him over 20 times for help to become the Minister of Petroleum Resources.

He alleged that the then aspirant urged him to speak to the President and “put a good word for her”, furnishing him with up-to-date information on the President’s availability via calls and text messages”.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/46776-i%E2%80%99ve-proof-of-my-claims,-says-okah.html

(1) (Reply)

Military Rule Is Finally Looking Better Than These Useless Civilians!! / We Will Not Watch Boko Haram Finish Us, Says Gurara Forum / Jonathan Should Become A Ceremonial President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.