Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,040 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed (5892 Views)

Why Buhari Had To Abandon His Campaign Promises-lai Mohamed / Elections: I’ll Hold Police Digs, Aigs Responsible For Any Crisis In Taraba, Imo / Nigerian Armed Forces Display Boko Haram Flags Captured During Battle With Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by Dede1(m): 4:34pm On May 18, 2012
andrewza:

Well what about Iraq and afghanistan. The AK47 is not great it not bad either a good weapon for solders of average quality since it can take more abuse. The m16 is better hands down, it is lighter, has greater accuracy, has incredibly low recoil but it needs a solder who will look after it probably.a solder needs marksmanship most trained solders don't even go full auto since they can get 1 shot 1 kill

I can decipher the state of your mind. Even though the firefights in Iraq and Afghanistan were not based on equally matched combat units or armies, few marines have often toss M16 for AK-47 rifles of the Iraqi or Afghan soldiers. It is rather delusional to think M16 won the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. I had rather have Ak-47 as a combat weapon in conjunction with other array of weapons USA brings to battle field than M16.

1 Like

Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 18, 2012
Dede1:

War is not target practice. AK-47 remains the best assault rifle ever produced till date. It has not lost a battle or shootout to any M16 variations. Even the Bullpup assaults rifles have not established the fellowship culture maintained by AK-47.
The 47 varient of the kalashnikoff remains the most used because its the cheapest in its category. It's light weight and favourable recoil makes it the delight of would be child-recruit war mongers . Patent are held by virtually every eastern block countries thus making the Russian version the best ( original) of the lot. Ak-47 has seen several war and so has lost several wars and still loosing wars as we speak. The only thing going 4 it is that any fool with a finger can spray bullets with little or no precision little wonder this weapon is not in service with the developed nations including China that exports large cache to Africa.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by andrewza: 4:48pm On May 18, 2012
Dede1:

I can decipher the state of your mind. Even though the firefights in Iraq and Afghanistan were not based on equally matched combat units or armies, few marines have often toss M16 for AK-47 rifles of the Iraqi or Afghan soldiers. It is rather delusional to think M16 won the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. I had rather have Ak-47 as a combat weapon in conjunction with other array of weapons USA brings to battle field than M16.

Only a few solders used AK 47 in Iraq and Afghanistan. Normally the spec ops type since a M16 and AK47 sound differently so to avoid action they use a AK47 other time it is picked up has a sovenier or trophy. Me i now how to look after my weapon so i will have M16 over a AK any day. I have spoken to members of the American defense force and they would all so choose a M16 none mentioned throwing away there M16 for AK 47 or the thought of it. It is all so a chargeable offense (you sign for YOUR rifle) it is all so dangerous, it could(has) resulted in friendly fire due to the sound. The AK 47 is old and dated now if you talk about the new models of the AK we are closer to the M16. Nigeria should upgrade to the lighter even more rugged AK 100 series of assault rifles.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by andrewza: 4:50pm On May 18, 2012
matify: The 47 varient of the kalashnikoff remains the most used because its the cheapest in its category. It's light weight and favourable recoil makes it the delight of would be child-recruit war mongers . Patent are held by virtually every eastern block countries thus making the Russian version the best ( original) of the lot. Ak-47 has seen several war and so has lost several wars and still loosing wars as we speak. The only thing going 4 it is that any fool with a finger can spray bullets with little or no precision little wonder this weapon is not in service with the developed nations including China that exports large cache to Africa.

Even Russia has upgraded to the AK 100 serries, only the poor choose the AK47
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by DaRapture: 4:50pm On May 18, 2012
andrewza:

It should sen has a good thing. If you loose all the F7Ni jets you can replace them with a real fighter. I recomened the SU 27

That'll be a foolish move for Nigeria, who's alliance is with the Anglo nations (US and UK). What they need to is begin to affiliate themselves with US and UK weapon systems, and this is a perfect time for them to do so. The US and UK both are fazing out very formidable weapons systems like the F-16 and 15, Cobra assaults, Harriers and more.. to make room for a barrage of new stealth designs like the F-22 Raptor and and F-35. Friendlies like Nigeria are being offered F-16's and such at very lucrative deals right about now by the US and UK governments.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by andrewza: 4:59pm On May 18, 2012
DaRapture:

That'll be a foolish move for Nigeria, who's alliance is with the Anglo nations (US and UK). What they need to is begin to affiliate themselves with US and UK weapon systems, and this is a perfect time for them to do so. The US and UK both are fazing out very formidable weapons systems like the F-16 and 15, Cobra assaults, Harriers and more.. to make room for a barrage of new stealth designs lines the F-22 Raptor and and F-35. Friendlies like Nigeria are being offered F-16's and such at very lucrative deals right about now by the US and UK governments.

though the F16 is a good choice i would still say go for a Russian you can get them with less strings attached and and they will sell you the newer stuff. Of course this depends on the price more F16 would be better than fewer (but better) SU27.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by DaRapture: 5:10pm On May 18, 2012
andrewza:

That has nothing to do with the wepaon and every thing to dowith the shooter. A properly looked after AK 47 will hit a mane size target up to 300 away.

The gun is a dinosaur. It's too heavy, too noisy, too sloppy, and extremely wasteful on ammunition. 300yrds in this day and age is a death trap when faced with any formidable force with up to date assault rifles. An M16 and M14 can drop you dead in your tracks at over 500 yards with one shot, and you'll be dead before you hear the shot because the gun fires at a velocity of over 1000fps greater than the AK, and they are up to and above 4 pounds lighter in weight than the AK. The American rifles also fire off much quicker; with an average dispersal ability of about 260 more rounds a minute than the AK. While the American rifles are light and fitted with advance recoil systems to absorb kick, thus keeping the gun on target, the AK just sprays bullets all over the place as it kicks around like a Jackass in heat. cheesy The AK is for amateurs and renegade military's. cheesy
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by andrewza: 5:19pm On May 18, 2012
DaRapture:

The gun is a dinosaur. It's too heavy, too noisy, too sloppy, and extremely wasteful on ammunition. 300yrds in this day and age is a death trap when faced with any formidable force with up to date assault rifles. An M16 and M14 can drop you dead in your tracks at over 500 yards with one shot, and you'll be dead before you hear the shot because the gun fires at a velocity of over 1000fps greater than the AK, and they are up to and above 4 pounds lighter in weight than the AK. The American rifles also fire off much quicker; with an average dispersal ability of about 260 more rounds a minute than the AK. While the American rifles are light and fitted with advance recoil systems to absorb kick, thus keeping the gun on target, the AK just sprays bullets all over the place as it kicks around like a Jackass in heat. cheesy The AK is for amateurs and renegade military's. cheesy

i don't disagree with you. But it is still a deadly weapon in the trained (and even untrained when used in mass) I Think Nigeria should just get the newer versions of the AK. That way no need for a long retraining program.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by Dede1(m): 5:20pm On May 18, 2012
@matify
@andrewza

What a combat soldier needs is a reliable weapon that can stand the test of adverse conditions often encountered in combat. Ak-47 or its variants remains such weapon. The recoil or price of a weapon is not the headache of an infantry man but reliability of such weapon. Even when there is no presence of AK-47, friendly fire injuries are daily occurrence in combat situation.

As for any fool with finger operating AK-47, that remains the beauty of the weapon. It is very simple and practical.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by DaRapture: 5:23pm On May 18, 2012
andrewza:

Well what about Iraq and afghanistan. The AK47 is not great it not bad either a good weapon for solders of average quality since it can take more abuse. The m16 is better hands down, it is lighter, has greater accuracy, has incredibly low recoil but it needs a solder who will look after it probably.a solder needs marksmanship most trained solders don't even go full auto since they can get 1 shot 1 kill

Exactly. The M16 is a REAL soldiers rifle, not amateurs and renegades such as what Nigeria's military is full of. cheesy
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by andrewza: 5:27pm On May 18, 2012
Dede1: @matify
@andrewza

What a combat soldier needs is a reliable weapon that can stand the test of adverse conditions often encountered in combat. Ak-47 or its variants remains such weapon. The recoil or price of a weapon is not the headache of an infantry man but reliability of such weapon. Even when there is no presence of AK-47, friendly fire injuries are daily occurrence in combat situation.

As for any fool with finger operating AK-47, that remains the beauty of the weapon. It is very simple and practical.

The SANDF has a simple way to deal with the AK 47 wielding rebel. Drop to prone roll to cover wait for the sound of a empty weapon aim from cover fire 1 shot per person. The untrained general shoot high (hence for child solders this means at a adults chest)and over the heads of the SA solder none get a chance to reload.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by hamsky: 5:50pm On May 18, 2012
Who are all these video game players talking about what jet or weapon the Nigeria forces should use. I'm very sure that some of you talking about the avtomat kalashnikov have never carried a weapon before not to talk of shooting blanks. The nigerian defence only have weapons that are up to or more than its potential enemy's capability in there arsenal and nothing more. I once disussed this with my dad who has over 27 years of military defence and security experiance and funny enough what he said was "Is russia or china our enemy" this should give you an idea why america and the other lots have got what they have in their arsenal. I guess if the Nigerian defence decides to use the M4 or M16 which is worth almost $2000 as its flagship weapon you guys will be the first to complain. A british soldier will always tell you behind closed doors that he/she prefers the M4 or SAS demaco, but the question is why don't they use it then? the simple asnswer is that the UK's government can't afford it in dis hard times of economical crunch thats why they decided to revamp the SA80 L85A1 for the A2 in 2001/2002.My advice is shut up and continue playing your xbox cos the nigerian soldiers who won battles in sudan, liberia and sierra leone are not complaining. For you information I'm also in the military.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by Ekowise(m): 5:57pm On May 18, 2012
The Defender: ABUJA—Defence Minister, Dr. Bello Mohammed, said, yesterday, that the Armed Forces were in a state of combat readiness needed to surmount all issues of insecurity, internal or external. He said government has ensured this by funding the requirements of the different arms of the military.Speaking at the ministerial platform organised by the Ministry of Information and Communication in Abuja, the minister noted that the state of combat readiness was achieved following the repairs and upgrading of a number of Armoured Fighting Vehicles and Armoured Personnel Carriers for the Nigerian Army.

He also said the acquisitions of the warship, NNS Thunder, and a number of Shaldag Fast Patrol Boats for the Navy, in addition to existing weaponry for the two services, had made them combat-ready.

The minister said the F7Ni Supersonic Jet fighter had been acquired by the Nigeria Air Force, even as M-35-Helicopters had been retrofitted, while Super Puma Helicopters and Alpha-jets had undergone upgrading and re-inducted.

Mohammed said: “We (Ministry of Defence) have also refurbished some of our C-130H Aircraft in the NAF inventory.”

He noted that the ministry placed great emphasis on the welfare of personnel of the armed forces.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/05/armed-forces-ready-for-any-crisis-minister/combat/
anoda way 2 embezle moni all in d name of WEAPON UPGRADE 2 fight BH. June is just by d corner. Nigerians ar watchin
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by andrewza: 6:02pm On May 18, 2012
hamsky: Who are all these video game players talking about what jet or weapon the Nigeria forces should use. I'm very sure that some of you talking about the avtomat kalashnikov have never carried a weapon before not to talk of shooting blanks. The nigerian defence only has weapons that are up to or more than its potential enemy's capability in there arsenal and nothing more. I once disussed this with my dad who has over 27 years of military defence and security experiance and funny enough what he said was "Is russia or china our enemy" this should give you an idea why america and the other lots have got what they have in their arsenal. I guess if the Nigerian defence decides to use the M4 or M16 which is worth almost $2000 as its flagship weapon you guys will be the first to complain. A british soldier will always tell you behind closed doors that he/she prefers the M4 or SAS demaco, but the question is why don't they use it then? the simple asnswer is that the UK's government can't afford it in dis hard times of economical crunch thats why they decided to revamp the SA80 L85A1 for the A2 in 2001/2002.My advice is shut up and continue playing your xbox cos the nigerian soldiers who won battles in sudan, liberia and sierra leone are not complaining. For you information I'm also in the military.

I am SANDF 2*nd a half years now. I never said get the M16. I did say you should upgrade your AK47s. All so your F7Ni is a poor choice nothing more than a improved Mig 19.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by TheDefender: 6:31pm On May 18, 2012
You guys are not in the position to tell them which weapons they have to use because they know better than you. Infact, how many of you have visited their arsenal to know whether they upgrade their weapons or not. The truth is the Nigeria millitary is strong and respected in africa.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by andrewza: 6:42pm On May 18, 2012
From your post I can say your Aif force needs modern jets. Those F7Ni or Mig 19 where out dated when you bought them. Your new ships are actually pretty good for there intended job. I would add some helicopter operating OPV,s to the list. Your Ground based Air defense is great your. Your front line grunt is still using AK47 witch could use a upgrade if there is cash to spare. I can go on your military is mentioned in a lot of reports and defense journals.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by DaRapture: 6:47pm On May 18, 2012
andrewza: From your post I can say your Aif force needs modern jets. Those F7Ni or Mig 19 where out dated when you bought them. Your new ships are actually pretty good for there intended job. I would add some helicopter operating OPV,s to the list. Your Ground based Air defense is great your. Your front line grunt is still using AK47 witch could use a upgrade if there is cash to spare. I can go on your military is mentioned in a lot of reports and defense journals.

Strong? Compared to who? Egypt, SA, Algeria.. would all kick Nigeria's azz with the weapons they have. The only thing Nigeria has going for it is numbers.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by ak47mann(m): 6:57pm On May 18, 2012
Nigerian military cannot boast of any sophisticated weapons they have enough foot soldiers but less efficient in military weaponry .Corruption will not let Nigerian government to fully empower their military might cool
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by escobar07(m): 7:03pm On May 18, 2012
ak47 is still popular because it cheap, easy to use and very rugged. In d area of ruggedness, it beat m16. Of course , we have other variants in d ak serieseg ak74.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by andrewza: 7:52pm On May 18, 2012
escobar07: ak47 is still popular because it cheap, easy to use and very rugged. In d area of ruggedness, it beat m16. Of course , we have other variants in d ak serieseg ak74.

The 74 is a 5.56mm of the AKM. The AKM is the modernized(well modern when put in to serves) 47. I have not heard of the AK 100 series in main stream use. They are a good price and if you can handle a 47 or 74 you can handle them.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by andrewza: 7:58pm On May 18, 2012
DaRapture:

Strong? Compared to who? Egypt, SA, Algeria.. would all kick Nigeria's azz with the weapons they have. The only thing Nigeria has going for it is numbers.

Those countries could not get there forces to Nigeria In large enough numbers to be a threat. So yes if the two army's used magic to get to the same place yes Nigeria would be in trouble. But in real life they don't need to worry. Not unless they joined together with your neighbors there is no way they could threaten you with invasion.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by andrewza: 8:02pm On May 18, 2012
ak47mann: Nigerian military cannot boast of any sophisticated weapons they have enough foot soldiers but less efficient in military weaponry .Corruption will not let Nigerian government to fully empower their military might cool

On paper your ground based Air defense is better than ours. Of course when once our new GBAD are in use we will have evened the playing field. And in any case our Air force will sweep the sky's clear.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by joeyfire(m): 8:34pm On May 18, 2012
The ak47 is indeed the weapon of choice for third world armies because of its popular pros like its simple design and durability in extreme conditions but if you can afford to splurge I'd prefer the nigerian army equipped with the heckler & koch g36 or m4 carbine.

Dede1: @matify
@andrewza

Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by joeyfire(m): 8:38pm On May 18, 2012
But wait o ! The airforce is still using the alpha jets The most recen of those things were made in 1984
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by Fhemmmy: 8:40pm On May 18, 2012
I hail the nation . . .
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by andrewza: 8:44pm On May 18, 2012
Alpha jets are still good enough for light ground attack work. The targets have not changed.

HK over prices all there weapons so the G36 is out. M4 is a nice weapon maybe you get the USA to gift or reduce the price for you. But I doubt it. I would stick to a AK platform though less retraining needed.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by omodada1: 10:18pm On May 18, 2012
Mumu, who u go fool? ‎​₪☺ bi τ̅☺ go pack the̶̲̥̅̊ dead bodies una sabi afta the̶̲̥̅̊ bombin? the̶̲̥̅̊ disday paper @ jabi, the̶̲̥̅̊ second day at night, dem D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ der D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ colect N50 JU̶̲̥̅̊§τ̲̅ a day afta the̶̲̥̅̊ bombin. Always on top of the̶̲̥̅̊ situation.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by Nobody: 10:35pm On May 18, 2012
The Defender: We are really in crisis but our armed forces are getting stronger.

Because they're next in the line of power. All the "Zoning"/No-Zoning proponents asre just fooling themselves.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 18, 2012
DaRapture:

The AK is a wasteful second hand weapon, a poor man's M16/M14. It just sprays bullets, with maybe every 5 out of 30 bullets hitting the target.

Clearly, you don't know your weapons.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by healthexpert: 11:57pm On May 18, 2012
Korrection: this tells you that soonest the military will take over...read it very well

Though the statement might point that way but i don't see the possibility of the military taking over.
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by Nobody: 12:27am On May 19, 2012
All imported, no kudos for YOU!
Re: Armed Forces Ready For Any Crisis - Defence Min. Mohamed by GAR3TH(m): 12:57am On May 19, 2012
DaRapture:

The AK is a wasteful second hand weapon, a poor man's M16/M14. It just sprays bullets, with maybe every 5 out of 30 bullets hitting the target.

Time out, the AK47 is waaay more of a better weapon than the M16. The Ak47 uses a Larger round than the m16, is not prone to Jamming like the m16, Extremely easy to field stripping, fires at a higher rate and is cheaper than the M16. Statistically speaking the AK47 is better than the M16. There is a reason why the ak47 is the most used assualt rifle in the world. Yes it may be "outdated" compared to other rifles but its still one of the best assault rifles used today.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

$1.1bn Malabu Scandal: Italian Prosecutors Request Trial Of Etete, Shell, Eni, O / Osun Rerun: See All The Atrocities APC Is Doing At Polling Units / Rotimi Amaechi Breaks Down In Tears As Supreme Court Sacks His Faction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.