Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,882 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins (13556 Views)

NSE Opens Islamic Shares Index / Why Facebook Shares Will Collapse By 85% / Transcorp Po Finally Opens At 7.50! Opinions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by mukina2: 5:13pm On May 18, 2012

Facebook began trading shares on the Nasdaq stock exchange this morning, opening at just over $42, instantly up 10% on the initial offer price, before dropping back to just over $40.

With the initial offer price of $38, Facebook's shares were already set at the high end of a range the company set earlier in the week and values the company at $104bn.

The price makes Facebook more valuable than Amazon, which also trades on the Nasdaq.

Early trading was delayed until 11.30amn by the volume of shares being bought and sold. More than 82m shares were traded in the first 30 seconds.

The first trades were made two hours after Mark Zuckerberg remotely rang the opening bell for the New York-based stock exchange from outside his California headquarters as staff cheered him on.

Source

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by papatosibe: 5:15pm On May 18, 2012
^^^

So what?

Mukina, its not like you understand or wealthy enough to understand what is going on.

3 Likes

Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by Afam4eva(m): 5:16pm On May 18, 2012
Can Nigerians buy?
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by papatosibe: 5:17pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva: Can Nigerians buy?

I bought some and I am Nigerian.
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by Afam4eva(m): 5:19pm On May 18, 2012
papatosibe:

I bought some and I am Nigerian.
I meant: Can Nigerian residents buy?

1 Like

Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by playboy19(m): 5:20pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva: Can Nigerians buy?

I just signed out of my Schwab account now... i bought some. And Yes i'm a Nigerian
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by scopusng(m): 5:22pm On May 18, 2012
The underwriters of the Facebook deal will buy up to 26 mln shares to support the stock at its offering price of $38.
Just to put that into perspective, the offering was for 421 mln shares and the turnover today is already at 254 mln
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by Afam4eva(m): 5:22pm On May 18, 2012
playboy19:

I just signed out of my Schwab account now... i bought some. And Yes i'm a Nigerian
Where do you live?
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by neksummi(m): 5:23pm On May 18, 2012
playboy19:

How did you do that, can you share with us?
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by Nobody: 5:25pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Where do you live?
It dont matter where you live, get a partner in US to set up Fidelity or Charles Schwab for you using their ssn and dl and get online and you can trade using US ip and you can withdraw your earnings.
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by Afam4eva(m): 5:26pm On May 18, 2012
LeoMax: It dont matter where you live, get a partner in US to set up Fidelity or Charles Schwab for you and get you and you can trade using US ip and you can withdraw your earnings.
Sorry for bugging you but do you mind explaining how one can get a US partner.
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by CyberG: 5:28pm On May 18, 2012
I am assuming you mean to BUY from the IPO, not just trade stocks like a professional trader.

The question you need to answer first is: Can you open a brokerage account at Morgan Stanley or Goldman Sachs? Do you even have the access to them, like if you just walked Downtown Lagos or breeze into NY or any of their offices and do that? Answer is MOST likely NO!

Well, if you do the above, then you will need a LOT of money, those banks are selling to people who have hundreds of thousands of dollars or preferred customers who already make several trades per day. If you have the balls for the money, you should be looking at about half a million USD. By now, you should be able to determine if Nigerians in Naija can buy it.

The only people who will qualify are the ones who already control billions of naira in Nigeria. grin grin
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Sorry for bugging you but do you mind explaining how one can get a US broker.
Not hard, if you have a registered financial company registered at CAC, go online and find brokers in any b2b website and sign MOUs; make sure you verify the legitimacy of the US company via bbb and you are good to go, Americans are more truthful than an average Nigerian
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by TheShopKeeper(m): 5:29pm On May 18, 2012
Yes nigerian resident can buy if they have a honest broker.
However enough care must be taken in buying the shares of Facebook.
Only the top dogs like Bono (the Live Aid singer), who invested in the early days will be getting huge returns from their investment.
My advice to anyone planning to invest is to wait until the euphoria has finished, possibly next quarter.
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by amosy007: 5:35pm On May 18, 2012
LeoMax: Not hard, if you have a registered financial company registered at CAC, go online and find brokers in any b2b website and sign MOUs; make sure you verify the legitimacy of the US company via bbb and you are good to go, Americans are more truthful than an average Nigerian
am really interested in this eish... Can we trade emails?
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by Frosti(m): 5:37pm On May 18, 2012
Facebook IPO goes live. Who wants to buy some Facebook IPO Shares?

Facebook has now gone public and its shares are going for a cool $38 for a share. That leaves Facebook with a valuation of $100 billion. Facebook stands to make at least $16 billion on its initial public offering (IPO). This will effectively make Mark Zuckerberg, facebook founder, one of the worlds richest people at the young age of 28.

Facts and points about the Facebook IPO you should know
1. Facebook wants to sell 421,233,615 shares of Class A common stock at an opening price of between $34 and $38, with a valuation somewhere around $100 billion.

2. Facebook shares will be listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange under “FB.”

3. Facebook Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg will be worth around $16.86 billion at the close of the IPO and when all the shares have been sold.

4. Facebook’s board is made up of seven directors: Mark Zuckerberg, Marc Andreessen, Jim Breyer, Peter Thiel, Donald Graham, Reed Hastings, and Erskine Bowles.

5. There are 12 lead underwriters: Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan, Goldman, Sachs & Co., Bank of America, Merrill Lynch, Barclays, Allen & Co., Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank Securities, RBC Capital Markets and Wells Fargo Securities.

6. Facebook had 3,539 full-time employees.

7. Facebook is headquartered in Menlo Park, California.

8. Facebook now has 901 million monthly active users. These users have made more than 125 billion friend connections and are responsible for generating 3.2 billion likes and comments and uploading 300 million photos a day.

9. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg’s earns a $500,000 salary, COO Sheryl Sandberg’s $300,000 and CFO David Ebersman $300,000.

You can check out more facts about the facebook IPO.

Will you be getting for yourself some facebook shares?

Source

Facebook IPO against other tech giants IPO.

Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 18, 2012
amosy007:
am really interested in this eish... Can we trade emails?
No biggie
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by buzugee(m): 5:46pm On May 18, 2012
*cough* scam *cough*

1 Like

Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by buzugee(m): 5:47pm On May 18, 2012
so what product does facebook make apart from their website ?
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by Nobody: 5:47pm On May 18, 2012
FaceBook offer will be based on speculative trading. I have to watch before putting my money on it. Gonna give them 3 months to stabilize
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by pistol: 5:54pm On May 18, 2012
Am not buying.

Due to the constant and ever changing dynamics of the internet,todays crish will b 2moro's junk

Ask yahoo if u doubt me.
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by Afam4eva(m): 5:55pm On May 18, 2012
buzugee: so what product does facebook make apart from their website ?
Do you mean a website that is has a net worth of over $86 Billion?
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by buzugee(m): 5:58pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Do you mean a website that is has a net worth of over $86 Billion?
86 billion net worth based on what ? speculations ? what assets do they have ? what products do they make ? . you are drunk on that babylon juice
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by stagger: 6:01pm On May 18, 2012
I am not interested in buying Facebook shares, but I want to look at ways to monetize my business using Facebook.

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by olempe(m): 6:01pm On May 18, 2012
Damn!! :oDamn!!
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by Afam4eva(m): 6:03pm On May 18, 2012
buzugee: 86 billion net worth based on what ? speculations ? what assets do they have ? what products do they make ? . you are drunk on that babylon juice
Must they produce bags of rice like dangote before you know that they have a product? See MUMU.
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by buzugee(m): 6:06pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Must they produce bags of rice like dangote before you know that they have a product? See MUMU.
like i said, you are drunk off that babylon juice
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by k10: 6:06pm On May 18, 2012
facebook don yahoo yahoo everybody, dey guy wan make him money fast fast before anything happens....

1 Like

Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by buzugee(m): 6:07pm On May 18, 2012
k10: facebook don yahoo yahoo everybody, dey guy wan make him money fast fast before anything happens....
exactly wink
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by Bawss1(m): 6:07pm On May 18, 2012
Facebook has gone public making it's founder Mark Zuckerberg one of the richest people in the world today.

Let's hope Nairaland doesn't undergo another theme change as Seun begins preparing to tow the facebook line. grin grin
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by moderattor: 6:11pm On May 18, 2012
Time i have to invest in facebook smiley
Re: Facebook Shares Opens At $42 As Trading Begins by EPOMA(m): 6:12pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva:
he is not Mumu, you may probably be the Mumu at last , this is just over the top ask yahoo share buyer. the earlier you know that this is a junk, the better. Humans always change

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Warren Buffet Joins Twitter, Gains 100,000 Followers in a couple of Hours. / Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? / FG's Savings Bond September Offer Closes 7th September

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.