Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,895 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters (13475 Views)

New Electricity Tariff, Without Prepaid Meters?? / PHCN To Import Prepaid Meters / Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by jidsoon(m): 5:53pm On May 18, 2012
Chairman of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Dr. Sam Amadi, says provision has been made for free installation of meters in the new electricity tariff proposed by the Federal Government. The new regime takes off on June 1.

He said the electricity distribution companies have been ordered to provide meters for their customers between 12 to 18 months, starting from June 1. He said only a connection fee would now be paid for meters of N5,000 by customers.

Amadi said this when he visited the customer services centre of the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company.

He said the new tariff was a bitter pill Nigerians should endure for improved electricity supply which calls for better services from the distribution companies and accurate billing system.

According to the NERC boss, customer service is the core of the new tarrif order.

He said: “I think the Nigerian people will understand our predicament if we improve on our customer service. That is why we have made customer care the niche of the new tariff. We can really improve in terms of transparency and accountability especially in billing.

“We (NERC) will be having periodic check on the distribution companies because this is the most important component of the Multi-Year Tariff Order. Every CEO of the companies should ensure they have a forum office where customers’ complaints can be dealt with.”

A forum office constitutes member(s) of staff of the distributor company, NERC and civil society organisation who would address complaints from electricity consumers who did not get satisfactory attention from the PHCN.

He said it was illegal for communities to buy transformers, adding that it was the job of the PHCN to do so. He, however, said governments at all levels could do so to empower the people and upon installation, it becomes the property of the PHCN.

Chief Executive officer of the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, Engineer Abdulganiyu Umar, corroborated Amadi’s position, saying, “It is illegal for communities to buy transformers and it is also illegal for any PHCN staff to collect money from people in the name of procuring transformers for them.

“If anyone has evidence of such incident against my staff, we should be notified and we will deal with it.”

He warned PHCN customers to be wary of crooks who masquerade as community helpers to defraud them of money, insisting that “PHCN has not authorised anybody to collect money on its behalf.”

—Henry Ojelu

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/05/18/electricity-consumers-to-get-free-prepaid-meters/
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by egift(m): 7:07pm On May 18, 2012
Jonathan's Strategy: Promise anything that will help push bad policies through the throat of Nigerians. Those that paid for Metre have not gotten it - Now that he wants to increase the tariff, they are promise Free Pre-Paid Metres. Scam Artists. (Keep your metres and leave the rate where it is OR First provide the metres before any increase - Any other thing, na scam)

8 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by jcube83: 8:48pm On May 18, 2012
wat nonsense.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by ezurus: 8:49pm On May 18, 2012
The idea is good they should keep it on and try much to be transperency in whatever they are doing,we are watching and will not hesitate to expose them whenever they go contrary to what the law says.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by imparable7(m): 8:49pm On May 18, 2012
hmmm
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Nobody: 8:50pm On May 18, 2012
egift: Jonathan's Strategy: Promise anything that will help push bad policies through the throat of Nigerians. Those that paid for Metre have not gotten it - Now that he wants to increase the tariff, they are promise Free Pre-Paid Metres. Scam Artists. (Keep your metres and leave the rate where it is OR First provide the metres before any increase - Any other thing, na scam)
THE METER WILL READ WHAT ? LAST I CHECKED, I HAVEN'T SEEN POWER SUPPLY IN MY ESTATE FOR A MONTH, AND THE GOODNEWS IS, AM PAYING HIGH BILL grin
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 18, 2012
IF THEY GIVE ME FREE METER, I WILL CONNECT IT TO MY GENERATOR AND USE IT TO MONITOR MY FUEL CONSUMPTION shocked shocked shocked cheesy cheesy cheesy

23 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Marramlast(m): 8:53pm On May 18, 2012
jidsoon: Chairman of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Dr. Sam Amadi, says provision has been made for free installation of meters in the new electricity tariff proposed by the Federal Government. The new regime takes off on June 1.

He said the electricity distribution companies have been ordered to provide meters for their customers between 12 to 18 months, starting from June 1. He said only a connection fee would now be paid for meters of N5,000 by customers.

Amadi said this when he visited the customer services centre of the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company.

He said the new tariff was a bitter pill Nigerians should endure for improved electricity supply which calls for better services from the distribution companies and accurate billing system.

According to the NERC boss, customer service is the core of the new tarrif order.

He said: “I think the Nigerian people will understand our predicament if we improve on our customer service. That is why we have made customer care the niche of the new tariff. We can really improve in terms of transparency and accountability especially in billing.

“We (NERC) will be having periodic check on the distribution companies because this is the most important component of the Multi-Year Tariff Order. Every CEO of the companies should ensure they have a forum office where customers’ complaints can be dealt with.”

A forum office constitutes member(s) of staff of the distributor company, NERC and civil society organisation who would address complaints from electricity consumers who did not get satisfactory attention from the PHCN.

He said it was illegal for communities to buy transformers, adding that it was the job of the PHCN to do so. He, however, said governments at all levels could do so to empower the people and upon installation, it becomes the property of the PHCN.

Chief Executive officer of the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, Engineer Abdulganiyu Umar, corroborated Amadi’s position, saying, “It is illegal for communities to buy transformers and it is also illegal for any PHCN staff to collect money from people in the name of procuring transformers for them.

“If anyone has evidence of such incident against my staff, we should be notified and we will deal with it.”

He warned PHCN customers to be wary of crooks who masquerade as community helpers to defraud them of money, insisting that “PHCN has not authorised anybody to collect money on its behalf.”

—Henry Ojelu

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/05/18/electricity-consumers-to-get-free-prepaid-meters/
EASIER SAID THAN DONE WE ARE WAITING TO SEE GOOD AND EFFECTIVE THE IMPLEMENTATION WILL BE
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 18, 2012
jidsoon: Chairman of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Dr. Sam Amadi, says provision has been made for free installation of meters in the new electricity tariff proposed by the Federal Government. The new regime takes off on June 1.

—Henry Ojelu

Nonsense. It should be a direct swap without charging a kobo
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Nobody: 8:55pm On May 18, 2012
LeoMax: IF THEY GIVE ME FREE METER, I WILL CONNECT IT TO MY GENERATOR AND USE IT TO MONITOR MY FUEL CONSUMPTION shocked shocked shocked cheesy cheesy cheesy
buhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Abaykf: 8:57pm On May 18, 2012
DR Amadi only mentioned Abuja! what of ogbomoso? grin

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by ReLaTE(m): 8:58pm On May 18, 2012
Pre paid meter or post paid meter,what we need is steady power supply. The meter wl stil be useless wen there is no power supply so, Jboy and is co.,shuld stop all ths nonsense.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Mynd44: 8:59pm On May 18, 2012
LeoMax: IF THEY GIVE ME FREE METER, I WILL CONNECT IT TO MY GENERATOR AND USE IT TO MONITOR MY FUEL CONSUMPTION shocked shocked shocked cheesy cheesy cheesy
Cos that's the only thing it will be useful for
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by sonyjacobs(m): 9:04pm On May 18, 2012
why dem go let me buy prepaid meter for 40k before dem com turn am 2 free. Na NEPA staff go stil hoard d free prepaid meter den later go de sell am 2 d public
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by WhoIGoAsk: 9:23pm On May 18, 2012
what will the meter read? lol
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by worldman(m): 9:31pm On May 18, 2012
Useless people biggest Boko haram wat did this stupid people want the meter to read they want the meter to read darkness useless government
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by tashanja(m): 9:31pm On May 18, 2012
So what about those who have not out-rightly bought their meter but still paying it off by monthly deductions, what will be their status be come 1st June when the new rule comes into effect, would they still be expected to continue paying while others are getting the same meter free or their unpaid balance written off, or even get refunds for the amounts already paid so as to bring them in line with everybody who would be getting theirs for free?
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by scopusng(m): 9:43pm On May 18, 2012
God punish all of una. Yeye ppl, who una think say una dey deceive?
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by benedicts(m): 9:44pm On May 18, 2012
NONSENSE WONT STOP IN THIS COUNTRY, FIRST, IT WAS SUBSIDY ROVAL THAT ENDS UP IN THEIR POCKET, NOW PHCN BILLING INCREASE THAT WILL PUSH THEIR KIDS BANK ACCOUNT UP. THERE IS GOD IN HEAVEN OOOO, BONBOKLAT.................. cool
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by scopusng(m): 9:48pm On May 18, 2012

I don laugh die. lol
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by topeantony(m): 9:51pm On May 18, 2012
my observation PHCN officials do parade for disconnection of wires in the middle of the month for usage of the same month why not end of the month they will soon make it pay before you use
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by otokx(m): 9:59pm On May 18, 2012
Sam Amadi and Barth Nnaji are some of the people that should be tried for high treason against the Nigerian state and its people. What is the point of prepaid meters or do they prepay and dispense darkness in totality? So they have now got meters that we also charge us for the hours of darkness encountered? These people are very wicked.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by andyanders: 10:13pm On May 18, 2012
PHCN official collected N35,000.00 and another 7k from me for the new meter for over 7 months. Brought the meter last month without the Card. When I asked the PHCN staff, he said they have not been issued the card.

Want to make case with them.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Maranzano(m): 10:13pm On May 18, 2012
It would ve been a cheerful news to hear that the government will switch on some of the powerplants on or before June 1st to restore the confidence of the teaming populace in the power sector.Unlike fuel which has been imported for years now to meet national demands,it is not easy to award frivolous contracts on 'POWER IMPORTATION' from neighbouring countries since they depend on us for their power needs.If the power plants are not ready to add to the nations power generation before the stipulated date for the increase in tarrif, it will be another wrong policy by the govt to stretch the Nigerian worker beyond the limits of his income. People may be tempted to cut corners if they dont get value for their money.Nigerians ve paid for darkness for too long. It is time they got reward for their patience by steady power supply not in free meters that will not serve their purpose.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by DrugDoc: 10:20pm On May 18, 2012
I thank the NERC Chairman and Prof. Nnaji and GEJ for hammering on the power issue. I hope Nigerians have learned their lesson from the fuel subsidy saga to support the privatization of PHCN. It may be expensive, but it will be available once the private sector takes over.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Uchem1(m): 10:26pm On May 18, 2012
if in nija, all d so many empty promises made are actualised i tink nija wuld hv bin beta dan wat it is, but d leadas now knw dat we live comfortably on sweet empty promises and d broadcast dat over d media for us. am neva going to belev any leada again until i c ACTIONS nd datz wat we nid.....wat a nonsense!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by texazzpete(m): 10:27pm On May 18, 2012
'Free meter' yet you'll pay 5k as 'connection fees'. Then they'll charge you an illegal monthly 'meter maintenance fee'.

Nonsense!
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by armadeo(m): 10:35pm On May 18, 2012
laughing in the darkness. Are these people really this dumb. What do they take us for.

Free metre my foot. They themselves Will hoard and start selling.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Nobody: 10:46pm On May 18, 2012
People stop the negativity. We all know PHCN must be completely privatized if we ever want better service. And the tariff will increase, but it'll still be way cheaper than running generators. This govt has been useless, but they got this spot on. Everyone must have prepaid meters. If they don't give u electricity, then it's their loss too because they'll only make money when u use electricity.
At N11/kwh ( 6.8cents/kwh) our rate is likely too cheap to be profitable for investors, compared to other countries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_pricing.

The NLC should chill. We need power and will pay slightly more for it.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by kingsyiyke: 11:03pm On May 18, 2012
NA FOR THEIR BROKOS DEM GO CONNECT THE METER...YEYE PEOPLE

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Farida Waziri Denies Writing Obasanjo, Threatens Legal Action / Court Refuses To Restrain Tambuwal From Acting As Speaker / MEET THE FAMOUS AFIKPOCHIC (Her pics & Info)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.