Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,792 members, 7,820,785 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:34 PM

The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! (9011 Views)

Congolese Pizza! / If Chimps And Apes Were Declared Persons! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by onila(f): 8:26pm On May 18, 2012
Congolese eat gorillas n apes shocked

Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:38pm On May 18, 2012
poor fellows. its no less than cannibalism. . angry sad
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by Fulaman198(m): 9:17pm On May 18, 2012
Come on sha, na dis lie o. You don't see am eating gorilla ke, they may have killed it, but you don't see am eating

1 Like

Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by odumchi: 9:29pm On May 18, 2012
Lol. They aren't going to eat them. Those apes were probably captured and tranquelized so that they could be sent back to a wildlife reserve park. Those men in uniforms resemble park rangers.

3 Likes

Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by onila(f): 9:29pm On May 18, 2012
everyone knows congolese eat apes
i learnt abt that in my environmental class
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:33pm On May 18, 2012
bush-meat
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by anonymous6(f): 9:36pm On May 18, 2012
disgusting

1 Like

Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:40pm On May 18, 2012
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by Ptolomeus(m): 9:58pm On May 18, 2012
I can be wrong, but ...
The terrible thing of all this is that I do not think that hunger is the reason.

2 Likes

Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by PhysicsQED(m): 10:02pm On May 18, 2012
Primates are the only animals that any group of Africans (Congolese) eat that's "werid" (weird).

Everything else is fair game and perfectly reasonable except maybe some insects if any groups do eat them.

And I suspect that the only reason they eat the gorillas at all is because there isn't another comparable source of protein easily available.

There's no real substitute for the kind of satisfaction that one feels from eating meat.
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by Fulaman198(m): 10:24pm On May 18, 2012
That's disgusting why do Congolese do that if it is true? A lot of images online can be edited, but that is just downright disgusting.
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by PhysicsQED(m): 11:05pm On May 18, 2012
Fulaman198: That's disgusting why do Congolese do that if it is true? A lot of images online can be edited, but that is just downright disgusting.

Yeah. Pretty gross. Worse than eating horse or dog by far.

But the thing is there are quite a large number of primates in that area and humans would at some point end up killing them. Inevitably, someone would try to cook and eat it. Still revolting though.

1 Like

Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by ifyalways(f): 11:13pm On May 18, 2012
Oh jeez.Pagan those pictures are gross.

2 Likes

Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by okwanuzo3(f): 11:14pm On May 18, 2012
indeed, very disgusting..
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by onila(f): 1:49pm On May 19, 2012
ewww
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by khukhi(f): 3:13pm On May 19, 2012
"Come try, it tastes like biltong" said the grinning waiter at the Boma restaurant in Victoria Falls. It was the right enticement, I happen to absolutely love biltong. But chewing on a grub? As fortune would have it, I had been wanting to taste a Mopane worm (Imbrassia belina) for some time, and it looked like the time was now. The mopane worm is not actually a worm, but a caterpillar. It's a delicacy in some parts of Southern Africa and considered a bush food in others. But everyone agrees, it is highly nutritious and some regard it as truly delicious.

What Did the Mopane Worm Taste Like?
The Boma restaurant is a classic tourist venue set in the lovely grounds of the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge. Dinner at the Boma is a legendary affair, with what looks like literally hundreds of local dishes served in buffet style, including impala terrine and sadza. A witchdoctor is available to tell your fortune by throwing his bones; dancers entertain with Shona and Ndebele acts; and then ... there's the vat of Mopane worms.

The worms were fried with tomatoes, onions and garlic, none of which really disguised the black head from the grubby, grey body. I popped it into my mouth and began to chew, and chew, and chew, and chew. The sucker was difficult to swallow and I had forgotten my water. The waiter beamed, his teeth were almost blinding in the light of the big braai fire that was roasting a tasty looking warthog. The initial taste of the Mopane worm wasn't so bad, hidden by the garlic and onions. But as I continued to chew, the real flavor became unmasked and I detected a blend of earth, salt and drywall. It wasn't very good. I did manage to swallow it finally and because this was a touristy affair, I even got a certificate to prove it. I value this certificate above the one I got for bungee jumping off the Victoria Falls bridge.

More Facts and Fascinating Information About the Mopane Worm
Most people who enjoy Mopane worms obviously do not get certificates when they eat a solitary grub. Normally, you'll see huge bags of dried and/or smoked Mopane worms in local markets throughout rural Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, South Africa and Namibia. They're greyish looking when dried (after their green guts have been squeezed out) and at first glance you might think they're a bean of some kind The Mopane worms like the Mopane tree, but they also feed off mango trees and other bushes.

Source : http://goafrica.about.com/od/botswana/ss/Mopane-Worm.htm

Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by odumchi: 3:15pm On May 19, 2012
khukhi: "Come try, it tastes like biltong" said the grinning waiter at the Boma restaurant in Victoria Falls. It was the right enticement, I happen to absolutely love biltong. But chewing on a grub? As fortune would have it, I had been wanting to taste a Mopane worm (Imbrassia belina) for some time, and it looked like the time was now. The mopane worm is not actually a worm, but a caterpillar. It's a delicacy in some parts of Southern Africa and considered a bush food in others. But everyone agrees, it is highly nutritious and some regard it as truly delicious.

What Did the Mopane Worm Taste Like?
The Boma restaurant is a classic tourist venue set in the lovely grounds of the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge. Dinner at the Boma is a legendary affair, with what looks like literally hundreds of local dishes served in buffet style, including impala terrine and sadza. A witchdoctor is available to tell your fortune by throwing his bones; dancers entertain with Shona and Ndebele acts; and then ... there's the vat of Mopane worms.

The worms were fried with tomatoes, onions and garlic, none of which really disguised the black head from the grubby, grey body. I popped it into my mouth and began to chew, and chew, and chew, and chew. The sucker was difficult to swallow and I had forgotten my water. The waiter beamed, his teeth were almost blinding in the light of the big braai fire that was roasting a tasty looking warthog. The initial taste of the Mopane worm wasn't so bad, hidden by the garlic and onions. But as I continued to chew, the real flavor became unmasked and I detected a blend of earth, salt and drywall. It wasn't very good. I did manage to swallow it finally and because this was a touristy affair, I even got a certificate to prove it. I value this certificate above the one I got for bungee jumping off the Victoria Falls bridge.

More Facts and Fascinating Information About the Mopane Worm
Most people who enjoy Mopane worms obviously do not get certificates when they eat a solitary grub. Normally, you'll see huge bags of dried and/or smoked Mopane worms in local markets throughout rural Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, South Africa and Namibia. They're greyish looking when dried (after their green guts have been squeezed out) and at first glance you might think they're a bean of some kind The Mopane worms like the Mopane tree, but they also feed off mango trees and other bushes.

Source : http://goafrica.about.com/od/botswana/ss/Mopane-Worm.htm

Those are delicious when fried. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:16pm On May 19, 2012
Pleeeese and pleeeeese guys take those pix down! I couldnt eat the meat in my breakfast this morning!

1 Like

Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by Fulaman198(m): 4:58pm On May 19, 2012
I don't know if any of these are true or not, but apparently East and Central Africans eat some weird things.
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by khukhi(f): 8:30am On May 20, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Pleeeese and pleeeeese guys take those pix down! I couldnt eat the meat in my breakfast this morning!

Lol! Yeah it is quiet groase. I'm terribly afraid of worms personally so I know exactly what u mean?
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by Freesia(f): 8:06am On May 21, 2012
I could be wrong but aren't there some tribes in Nigeria that eat dogs??
Odenigbo Aroli: Pleeeese and pleeeeese guys take those pix down! I couldnt eat the meat in my breakfast this morning!
Meat in the morning?
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:11pm On May 21, 2012
^there are some that even eat human. .
so i am not surprised. tongue
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by khukhi(f): 9:42pm On May 21, 2012
Freesia: I could be wrong but aren't there some tribes in Nigeria that eat dogs??
Meat in the morning?

gringringrin perhaps it was a sausage or bacon grin
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by Fulaman198(m): 3:52am On May 22, 2012
Freesia: I could be wrong but aren't there some tribes in Nigeria that eat dogs??
Meat in the morning?

Tribes Are you white or something....

We are not tribes, we are ethnic groups.

1 Like

Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by Freesia(f): 4:30am On May 23, 2012
Fulaman198:

Tribes Are you white or something....

We are not tribes, we are ethnic groups.

My apologies!
This PC stuff is something that keeps changing.. last I heard Ethnic groups was questionable too
No I'm not white but African As they come
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by Fulaman198(m): 4:48pm On May 23, 2012
Freesia:

My apologies!
This PC stuff is something that keeps changing.. last I heard Ethnic groups was questionable too
No I'm not white but African As they come

I don't know how ethnic groups is questionable, here is the definition of an ethnic group:

pertaining to or characteristic of a people, especially a group (ethnic group) sharing a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like.

I don't know what ethnic group you are, but my ethnic group is Fulani or Fula. Our language is Fulfulde, most of us are Muslim, and the culture we share is called Pulaagu.
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:13am On May 25, 2012
Meat in the morning?

I 'do sink a large plate of rice at 5am in the morning!!!
Secondly,I am Igbo and we do not eat dogs!!

1 Like

Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by onila(f): 5:24pm On Jul 10, 2012
grin
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by Nobody: 12:20am On Jul 11, 2012
Lmfaooo@Onila...
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by tpia5: 3:41pm On Jul 11, 2012
Onila are you sure you're not rwandan?
Re: The Congolese Eat Gorillas And Apes!! by Blyss: 4:36pm On Jul 11, 2012
PhysicsQED: Primates are the only animals that any group of Africans (Congolese) eat that's "werid" (weird).

Everything else is fair game and perfectly reasonable except maybe some insects if any groups do eat them.

And I suspect that the only reason they eat the gorillas at all is because there isn't another comparable source of protein easily available.

There's no real substitute for the kind of satisfaction that one feels from eating meat.

F-uck that; there's no excuse for being a premitive heathen in this day and age. They're just illiterate, backward worthless pieces of flesh.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Eat Your Meat Before, During, or After a Meal? / What's Your Best Food Combination? / Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.