Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,916 members, 7,817,688 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

Mysql And SQL,,any Difference?? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Mysql And SQL,,any Difference?? (2125 Views)

Php IDE And Apache Mysql And Php Stack For Java Phones / Php,mysql And Java Materials Needed Plssss / Whats The Difference B/w Mysql And Sql: Do They Relate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mysql And SQL,,any Difference?? by Nobody: 8:00am On May 19, 2012
Am considering going into database(oracle 11g) bt was advised to learning programming 1st..so,i was told to do php first and i found out i av to know html,css b4 knowing php(i chkd w3schools)but what baffled me most was dat i saw PHP mysql..is der any difference btw mysql and SQL?and do i rilly need al dese before jumping into oracle 11g??pls advice
Re: Mysql And SQL,,any Difference?? by xterra2(m): 9:44am On May 19, 2012
Mysql is a RDBMS database while sql means structed query language- its a language databases such as oracle,mysql,postreSQL uses.
Which ever database you're using,u have to use SQL because that's the language you use to program the database

There's also sql server made by microsoft, maybe you meant that and in that case, mysql is free & open source -it is the database of choice in php while sql server is not exactly free (only the express is) its the databse of choice when using .NET -i.e desktop applications or dynamic websites with ASP

Oh and yeah you need to learn SQL before jumping into oracle because sql is used to program oracle,without knowing it, how can you use oracle ?

1 Like

Re: Mysql And SQL,,any Difference?? by Nobody: 10:32am On May 19, 2012
Okay,thank you so much.is www.w3school.com okay for me to learn SQL and is der anything i av to learn before jumping into SQL?pls advise more
xterra2: Mysql is a RDBMS database while sql means structed query language- its a language databases such as oracle,mysql,postreSQL uses.
Which ever database you're using,u have to use SQL because that's the language you use to program the database

There's also sql server made by microsoft, maybe you meant that and in that case, mysql is free & open source -it is the database of choice in php while sql server is not exactly free (only the express is) its the databse of choice when using .NET -i.e desktop applications or dynamic websites with ASP

Oh and yeah you need to learn SQL before jumping into oracle because sql is used to program oracle,without knowing it, how can you use oracle ?
Re: Mysql And SQL,,any Difference?? by GideonG(m): 11:10am On May 19, 2012
You don't really need them before jumping to Oracle if Database Administration is what you really want to do.
However it's good to know programming or at least the basics, Php/MySQl is very good to start with though
not very necessary. The most important thing you need to learn right now is[b] SQL [/b]because when you learn SQL
you will be able to work in so many DBMS including MySQL, PosgreSQL, SQL Server, Access, Oracle, Sybase,DB2
and others.

As for me, I started with PHP/MySQL from w3schools.com and I had to study HTML/CSS/Javascript for a month before I
delve into my darling PHP. I have nothing to do with Database Management outside Programming.

What I really want to be is a programmer not a Database Administrator. Decide from the onset what you want and start
immediately without wasting time.

Start today! and don't procastinate.
Re: Mysql And SQL,,any Difference?? by Nobody: 11:16am On May 19, 2012
Pls can i have your email cos i have some questions to ask you if you wnt mind..thanks
GideonG: You don't really need them before jumping to Oracle if Database Administration is what you really want to do.
However it's good to know programming or at least the basics, Php/MySQl is very good to start with though
not very necessary. The most important thing you need to learn right now is[b] SQL [/b]because when you learn SQL
you will be able to work in so many DBMS including MySQL, PosgreSQL, SQL Server, Access, Oracle, Sybase,DB2
and others.

As for me, I started with PHP/MySQL from w3schools.com and I had to study HTML/CSS/Javascript for a month before I
delve into my darling PHP. I have nothing to do with Database Management outside Programming.

What I really want to be is a programmer not a Database Administrator. Decide from the onset what you want and start
immediately without wasting time.

Start today! and don't procastinate.
Re: Mysql And SQL,,any Difference?? by GideonG(m): 11:18am On May 19, 2012
Can you sent me a DM on twitter? @GideonGeorge
My Email is georgegideon at gmail.com
Thanks.
Re: Mysql And SQL,,any Difference?? by Nobody: 11:22am On May 19, 2012
I will email you rite away bro
GideonG: Can you sent me a DM on twitter? @GideonGeorge
My Email is georgegideon at gmail.com
Thanks.
Re: Mysql And SQL,,any Difference?? by jazzme1: 7:26am On Oct 30, 2013
u dnt realy hav to know/learn any programing languague b4 jumping to oracle because d hv different packages.... For sql issue it depends on d training center, may b d wnt to mak more money. Oracle fundament 1 vol 1 text book introduces u to sql bfor d administrative workshop.... 4 more infor on centre near u, were u can learn oracle sql nd administration workshop at once using d oracle university text book published by oracle corporation visit http://www.youritforum..com

(1) (Reply)

for beginner C++ Programmers / I Got A Call From A Recruiter / Looking For Information On Fullerene Structure.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.