Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,000 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% (15446 Views)

Nnpc’s Unremitted Funds To Federation Account Are N4.9trn – RMAFC / We’ll Cut Costs, Reps Allowances – Speakership Aspirant / A Senator Earns N12m Yearly - RMAFC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by Bontee: 8:47am On May 20, 2012
The allowances and other perks for members of the House of Representatives have been slashed to an all-time low, just within a few months and that is generating rip-ples, Sunday Mirror investigations have revealed.

Besides the whittle in alllowances for the legislators, the lawmakers may not get official cars until the third quarter of 2012, which begins in July and ends in September, this year.

While the gross quarterly allowance package for each of the 360 members was about N42million in the sixth Assembly when Dimeji Bankole held sway as Speaker, it dropped by 80 percent in the 2nd quarter of last year when Aminu Tambuwal took over as Speaker.

But about N27million quarterly allowances were said to be settled for the House members by the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Com-mission (RMAFC) in the First Quarter (Jan-March, 2012), before it was further reviewed downwards to a relatively paltry N17mil-lion.

A member of the House, Hon. Bimbo Daramola (ACN/Ekiti) who spoke with Sunday Mirror last week, said “My brother things are getting worse.” “The allowances have not only been slashed, these days you cannot even nominate your choice Mil-lennium Development Goals Projects (MDGs). Even when you do, you are not sure they will be implemented by the Presidency”.

Another member from Katsina/Logo Federal Con-stituency of Benue State, Hon. Emmanuel Udende, said “Even Directors in the National Assembly service are enjoying bigger allow-ances and other benefits of office than legislators”.

A member, who did not want his name in print, told Sunday Mirror earlier that “on other occasions, we (lawmakers) would have taken it up with the Speaker, but we know it is not re-ally his fault”.

He, however, denied that the falling perks of office have “anything to do with the anger of the Presidency over the manner we voted presiding officers”.

The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN), Mr. Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, have at different occasions called for the slash in the perks of public office holders, including members of the National Assembly.

The calls have since pro-voked the Legislature to commence work on laws that would subject the budgets of CBN and other agencies under the Executive to legislative scrutiny.

The slide in perquisites of office, have also affected House powers over Appropriation as enshrined in section 162 of the 1999 Constitution.

Despite the express pro-vision of that section of the Constitution, members were allowed little or no in-put by the executive arm in the 2012 budget.

Meanwhile, more than 400 cars which were ordered for about N2.5billion as official cars for members of the House of Representatives are yet to be delivered after one year of their order by the leadership of the House at a meeting with the Directors of Procurement and Supplies, and Finance & Accounts of the National Assembly bureaucracy last year.

Chairman of a Committee in a chat with Sunday Mirror, revealed that the Chairman of the House Services Committee, Hon. Yakubu Dogara, said “The cars were yet to be fully delivered for distribution to members”.

The House Services Committee according to the Standing Orders of the House of Representatives, Seventh Edition Ordered to be reprinted 28th July, 2011, the jurisdiction of the committee shall include: “welfare of members, bud-get and appropriation of the House; maintenance of the House Chamber and premises including offices and accommodation; office accommodation for Mem-bers, provision of equip-ment and materials for House premises.

“Provision of utility vehicles for House Committees, monitoring of the Finances of the House, to address such other matters as may in the course of the assign-ment be referred to it”.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/40315.html
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by gulfer: 4:43pm On May 20, 2012
We do not know their original allowances and this certainly does not affect their salaries. Who's fooling Whom?

5 Likes

Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by Nobody: 4:45pm On May 20, 2012
The allowances were just slashed on paper. The looting of the treasury will continue as usual. Business as usual.

Sick country. Thank God I have finally left that hellhole

5 Likes

Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by Mynd44: 4:48pm On May 20, 2012
The real money is in looting. Who cares above their allowance

2 Likes

Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by sholay2011(m): 4:50pm On May 20, 2012
So, are they nw so vexed dt dia allowance was slashd by a percentage (dats if it's true)? And nw dey wanna get back at SLS by subjecting CBN budget to legislative scrutiny?? Fools in corridors of power. Can sum1 sing 'do me i do you,me I no go vex; touch me I touch u,me i no go vex; expose me, i expose u; me i no go vex...'slash' me i 'slash' u cry I go vex die! grin grin

1 Like

Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by peacettw: 4:51pm On May 20, 2012
It is sad that we are this pessimistic. At least something has been done, which to me is far more than doing absolutely nothing

4 Likes

Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by babaowo: 4:52pm On May 20, 2012
tired of all this.....
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by KokoBeware: 4:52pm On May 20, 2012
Mynd_44: The real money is in looting. Who cares above their allowance

If salary is slashed.... we will say salary is not the real thing that allowances are.. now allowances are slashed it is "looting"...... u definately will neva be...

2 Likes

Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by slimming: 4:53pm On May 20, 2012
since we are not sure how much their take is, then the 80% slashes will mean nothing.

Call Your Green World product today

1 Like

Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by Jimkab(m): 4:57pm On May 20, 2012
It's a beta thing to do if it's true, more of this are even still expected, especially the basic salary, may be that can be a solution to the politics of murdering. Most at times serious issues are shelved (forgotten) in that assembly, allowance's issue and throwing of chairs would be the order of the day.
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 20, 2012
peacettw: It is sad that we are this pessimistic. At least something has been done, which to me is far more than doing absolutely nothing

Swerri, what is there to be optimistic about? When was the last time that Nigeria gave you any reason to be optimistic? When they ttold us that Abacha's loot was recovered, we were optimistic. When May 29th 1999 came, we were optimistic. When GEJ won the election we were optimistic. And to what end was it?

Abeg.

3 Likes

Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by ebgbest(m): 5:02pm On May 20, 2012
Korect
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by Misterpaul(m): 5:03pm On May 20, 2012
Oh,they are complainin already.I see many of them(legislators) resigning...But unfortunately they don't have the word 'resign' in their dictionary.
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by lacasa: 5:03pm On May 20, 2012
Publish the figures ​ so​ nigerians know Ђδω much of their money is being squandered

2 Likes

Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by jamace(m): 5:03pm On May 20, 2012
While I may not praise this decision until it is implemented, may I ask whether the senators are having similar cut in their allowances too?
RMAC should cut the senate allowances as well if not already done. Afterall, What is bad for the goose should also be bad for the gander.
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by melvournis(f): 5:06pm On May 20, 2012
O miserable.[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by xpagnol: 5:09pm On May 20, 2012
Optimistic my foot. I have given up on the country long ago.Over, over, over.

1 Like

Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by peacettw: 5:09pm On May 20, 2012
pDude:

Swerri, what is there to be optimistic about? When was the last time that Nigeria gave you any reason to be optimistic? When they ttold us that Abacha's loot was recovered, we were optimistic. When May 29th 1999 came, we were optimistic. When GEJ won the election we were optimistic. And to what end was it?

Abeg.
I believe that Nigeria will get better in my life time and it all starts with baby steps. This is one of those steps. Ve a nice week
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by jason123: 5:11pm On May 20, 2012
This is good news, isn't it?! undecided Why are we very pessimistic in Nigeria?!

1 Like

Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by Delafruita(m): 5:11pm On May 20, 2012
if this is true then its a giant step in the right direction.i just hope its implemented properly
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by Biggoozz: 5:14pm On May 20, 2012
You called N17,000,000 P/A a paltry sum? when several MBA holders with over 15years work experience are dying to get such offers.

See them speaking like business men, as if they bought shares in House Of Rep.
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by gbadexy(m): 5:17pm On May 20, 2012
We should be impartial.lets commend good actions.i do not like GEJ administration and support buhari but i laud this move.infact i will love his administration if he pursues people oriented policies.it is nothing personal.just give us good governance

2 Likes

Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by agabaI23(m): 5:22pm On May 20, 2012
peacettw: I believe that Nigeria will get better in my life time and it all starts with baby steps. This is one of those steps. Ve a nice week
Thank you my sister from another mother. During the fuel subsidy saga, people were calling for this cut. Now that it has happened, the same people are still complaining. They played funeral song you complained,. They played wedding song, you wouldn't dance....haba!
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by Hiringu: 5:23pm On May 20, 2012
17 million * 4 = N68,000,000 a year in allowance alone, per person. Yet "things are getting worse" according to the foolish lady.

These are the same crop of people who feel 18,000 or whatever a month is sufficient pay for a fully grown human being.

In other words, her new slashed allowance equates to the household income of 3,777 men and their families on minimum wage.
Considering the condition of the nation, it is not rocket science that these reps etc. are doing absolutely nothing fruitful, so i wonder what justifies the pay.

It is good to see them talk about such cuts. I believe political offices should be made financially unattractive, paving a way for only true nation builders to willingly take the stand.

1 Like

Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by 2sexy(m): 5:26pm On May 20, 2012
pDude: The allowances were just slashed on paper. The looting of the treasury will continue as usual. Business as usual.

so pdude which country are you in now?
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 20, 2012
jason123: This is good news, isn't it?! undecided Why are we very pessimistic in Nigeria?!

Seriously, Do you know how annoying you are?

I'm starting to believe Beaf that you're one and the same as Alh.Harem; either that or both of you are on the same retarded, ignorant and deceitful thinking level.
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by Funkymallam(m): 5:35pm On May 20, 2012
pDude: The allowances were just slashed on paper. The looting of the treasury will continue as usual. Business as usual.

Dr. Where u run go?
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by gogo2479: 5:39pm On May 20, 2012
GOOD MOVE BY MR. PRESIDENT BUT WAHT ABOUT HIS OWN AND OTHER EXECUTIVES ALLOWANCE ARE THEY GONNA BE SLASH AS WELL OR THE PRESIDENT WILL CONTINUE TO MAINTAIN HIS ONE BILLION NAIRA A YEAR FEEEDING ALLOWANCE,GEJ LEAD BY EXAMPLE...
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by ballabriggs: 5:40pm On May 20, 2012
When would Jona slash his own allowance? When would he start paying taxes on the benefits he receives? Would the allowances remain low if they threaten him with impeachment? Till then this is another noise and I am not deceived.
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by Kobojunkie: 5:41pm On May 20, 2012
How true is this story?
Re: RMAFC Slashes Reps’ Allowances By 80% by Smooth278(m): 5:42pm On May 20, 2012
Hmmmm, now that something has been done ppl are still saying its looting thats the main thing.... pls first of all lets commend this one first cos its a step in the right direction!!!

if total emoluments is = salary + allowances + looting it stands to reason that any reduction in any of these variables wud cos a reduction in total emolument!!!! Guy if u commot 80% of my any workers allowance the take home pay wud be greatly reduced!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Anambra State Is Not Imo State, PDP Tells APC. / Sanusi’s Claim That 800 Fulani Were Killed, A Lie – Taraba Govt, CAN / Femi Adesina Insists Security Has Improved Despite Sultan’s Claim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.