Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,214 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola (10196 Views)

Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors / Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. / Lagos Government Willing To Negotiate With Sacked Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by kay9(m): 10:58am On May 24, 2012
LAGOS State governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola, on Wednesday gave reasons why he may not recall the 788 doctors sacked last month by his administration.
According to him, the only condition for their recall is if advised to do so by the appropriate authorities.
Speaking on a special interview programme on Murhi Intenational Television monitored in Lagos, Fashola said he lacked the power to eithersack or reinstate the doctors unilaterally.
The doctors were sacked after refusing to respond to queries issued to them by the state health ministry for proceeding on strike.
Fashola said the doctors were employed by the state health commission and were answerable toit and not the governor.
“If I receive advice that I can do so, I probably would. The problem there is that the law does not give me a role to play except in appointment.
“No matter how aggrieved we fail, we must allow institutions to work.”
He said if the parties “genuinely seek a solution, there will be away out,” he said.
“People have failed to recognise that governments are institutions. I don’t have the power to sack doctors. Doctors are employed by the state health board.
“The law does not give the governor any role to play in that process except the appointment of the chairman and members of the board, on the recommendation of the commissioner for health.”
Source: http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/41426-why-sacked-doctors-may-not-be-recalled-fashola
-
-
Gov. Fashola, i must admit, is one helluva smart politician.
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by Tolulop001(f): 12:16pm On May 24, 2012
said as a true lawyer. . .
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by Paentera(m): 12:18pm On May 24, 2012
What's smart about people dying all over Lagos state? Negotiations should have continued. I know he wanted to spite the doctors but hey, his actions smack of some insensitivity.
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by chuks49(m): 12:26pm On May 24, 2012
BRF have mercy on them, they must have learnt their lesson.
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by gbogboti: 12:31pm On May 24, 2012
No matter how aggrieved we fail, we must allow institutions to work.”
Journalism in NAIJA. NA WA
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by feelamong(m): 12:35pm On May 24, 2012
kay9:
Source: http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/41426-why-sacked-doctors-may-not-be-recalled-fashola
-
-

So that tomorrow when the doctors are called back (Cos they will definitely be called back) he will not be held liable for the deaths he has caused abi? bloody twats!!!
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by cowgurl: 12:36pm On May 24, 2012
True indeed! They must have learnt their lessons by now. He should re-appoint them back (i.e those who are still interested cos som of these doctors gat their own private hospitals) but with conditions of course.
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by seyigiggle: 12:37pm On May 24, 2012
correct the grammar and read on
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by SisiKill1: 12:38pm On May 24, 2012
Paentera: What's smart about people dying all over Lagos state? Negotiations should have continued. I know he wanted to spite the doctors but hey, his actions smack of some insensitivity.
When they were not on strike. . . weren't people still dying?

Using panadol to treat stroke. undecided
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by seyigiggle: 12:38pm On May 24, 2012
i suggest he should accept them, but as a fresh intake (demote them)

1 Like

Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by ziccoit: 12:43pm On May 24, 2012
gbogboti:No matter how aggrieved we fail, we must allow institutions to work.”
Journalism in NAIJA. NA WA

Typographical error na wa o oo.
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by ziccoit: 12:47pm On May 24, 2012
feelamong:

So that tomorrow when the doctors are called back (Cos they will definitely be called back) he will not be held liable for the deaths he has caused abi? bloody twats!!!

They would be called back and later go on strike unless the gov honour the agreement he reached with doctors twice in 3 years.

Nigeria law does recognize the right of workers to go on strike to press home their needs when all other weapons failed.
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by mygee33(m): 12:53pm On May 24, 2012
Whatever the LOGIc might be, its not worth the lives of His people (...sworn to defend and protect).
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by PrinceDudu(m): 12:56pm On May 24, 2012
spoken as a lawyer cum politician, but as a governor that is aware of the situation, i think he should talk to the ministry cos the number of doctors employed recently is just too low and because

cowgurl: True indeed! They must have learnt their lessons by now. He should re-appoint them back (i.e those who are still interested cos som of these doctors gat their own private hospitals) but with conditions of course.
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by mbhs139(m): 1:07pm On May 24, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Were people nit dying when the doctors went on strike? By the way, can't you people read between the lines? for ones we have someone who is ready to mkae our institutions work yet we wount appreciate that.
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by mbhs139(m): 1:09pm On May 24, 2012
kay9:
-
-

Let us allow our institutions to work
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by omosexy1: 1:12pm On May 24, 2012
The doctors have no right to embark on a strike action. I wonder why people are blaming Fashola for the actions of insensitive doctors. If the state health ministry has not honour any part of the agreed negotiations, they should take the ministry to court. The court should decide the case. You just don't wake up and because you are aggrieved with your employers, you can tell them to go to hell and embark on a strike action. If there is anybody to blame, I believe it is the state striking doctors, who have decided to abandon their obligations to save lives for selfish reasons.

3 Likes

Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by MrGlobe(m): 1:15pm On May 24, 2012
Nice one Fashola. I always support you on this decision. If peradventure, these doctors are called back, they will now know they are not indispensable. And for all the people shouting people are dying, people are dying, people still died when the doctors where still in service. Why cant these doctors strike for better equipments, infrastructure, advanced medical tools, improved facilities if they had the people in mind. Many of these sacked doctors are even more committed in their private clinics than govt hospitals. If they had gone on strike for issues that affected the people, then it would be justified, not going on strike and crying wolf because they want to earn more than the councilors when they could go into politics and earn like the councilor or even more like Mimiko and Ngige!
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by sartorius(m): 1:18pm On May 24, 2012
He should not recaLl them. If people are okay with the current state of healthcare then it is okay
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by omosexy1: 1:22pm On May 24, 2012
Mr. Globe:
Nice one Fashola. I always support you on this decision. If peradventure, these doctors are called back, they will now know they are not indispensable. And for all the people shouting people are dying, people are dying, people still died when the doctors where still in service. Why cant these doctors strike for better equipments, infrastructure, advanced medical tools, improved facilities if they had the people in mind. Many of these sacked doctors are even more committed in their private clinics than govt hospitals. If they had gone on strike for issues that affected the people, then it would be justified, not going on strike and crying wolf because they want to earn more than the councilors when they could go into politics and earn like the councilor or even more like Mimiko and Ngige!

Well said. You cannot bite the finger that feeds you.
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by allycat: 1:31pm On May 24, 2012
Let me speak for myself. Fashola has done his worst , he took away his fish not my fishing net , so I can always fish somewhere else. Unfortunately, the truth is very bitter for people to swallow, presently in Nigeria the number of doctors especially experienced hands is rather low so there is always a greater demand for them it is just that for now Lagos is still the economic capital of Nigeria so a great number of people want to remain here (not just in medicine). When backs are pushed against the wall people will slowly start moving out to other states wether in Federal or state instituitions. And a time will come when the same Lagos that is doing shakara now will start offering doctors special incentives to work in It's hospitals.

2 Likes

Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by comechop(m): 1:37pm On May 24, 2012
kay9:
-
-

a smart politician you say? how foolish. whats so smart about this decision? refusing to negotiate when his people are dying every day? Its amazing what years of basically slavery and oppression can change one's thinking! For you to call this man smart - you have a long way to go.
idiots.
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by PeterKbaba: 1:41pm On May 24, 2012
omosexy1: The doctors have no right to embark on a strike action. I wonder why people are blaming Fashola for the actions of insensitive doctors. If the state health ministry has not honour any part of the agreed negotiations, they should take the ministry to court. The court should decide the case. You just don't wake up and because you are aggrieved with your employers, you can tell them to go to hell and embark on a strike action. If there is anybody to blame, I believe it is the state striking doctors, who have decided to abandon their obligations to save lives for selfish reasons.

May God Almighty in His infinite mercies... Bless You
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by MrGlobe(m): 1:42pm On May 24, 2012
comechop:

a smart politician you say? how foolish. whats so smart about this decision? refusing to negotiate when his people are dying every day? Its amazing what years of basically slavery and oppression can change one's thinking! For you to call this man smart - you have a long way to go.
idiots.
STFU!!!!! As if you care about the people dying every day and as if they were no deaths cause by these same silly doctors negligence when they were still in service.
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by sanusimuslim: 1:42pm On May 24, 2012
Fashola please recall them back to their various work if you are talking about law or no law we just deceiving our self. It was in this country that court gives order and some one say no and not happen to him and also it is this country that NJC wrote mr Gej to suspend justice Ayo Salami and he implement it with immediate effect and this NJC again wrote back to mr Gej to reinstate him he now refused. So forget about institution you are the alpha and omega of the lagos state. Recall them back it as happen and it as happened. People are suffering in lagos state
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by PeterKbaba: 1:45pm On May 24, 2012
allycat: Let me speak for myself. Fashola has done his worst , he took away his fish not my fishing net , so I can always fish somewhere else. Unfortunately, the truth is very bitter for people to swallow, presently in Nigeria the number of doctors especially experienced hands is rather low so there is always a greater demand for them it is just that for now Lagos is still the economic capital of Nigeria so a great number of people want to remain here (not just in medicine). When backs are pushed against the wall people will slowly start moving out to other states wether in Federal or state instituitions. And a time will come when the same Lagos that is doing shakara now will start offering doctors special incentives to work in It's hospitals.

Igbo racist... is your state anywere close to the lagos state's health facilities.. even when your population is as low as 6 million and collecting the highest allocation in nigeria.. Lagos alone as a population of 20 million.
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by PeterKbaba: 1:48pm On May 24, 2012
sanusi muslim: Fashola please recall them back to their various work if you are talking about law or no law we just deceiving our self. It was in this country that court gives order and some one say no and not happen to him and also it is this country that NJC wrote mr Gej to suspend justice Ayo Salami and he implement it with immediate effect and this NJC again wrote back to mr Gej to reinstate him he now refused. So forget about institution you are the alpha and omega of the lagos state. Recall them back it as happen and it as happened. People are suffering in lagos state

I dont agree with you, the fact the jonathan did something wrong, doesn't mean others should do the same. check out how the state government are in court with their employee's that they pay... tell me were that can happen apart from lagos. Democracy.
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by Nobody: 1:48pm On May 24, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

i wonder o!
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by mikolo80: 1:57pm On May 24, 2012
ANYONE WHO GOES ON STRIKE WITH NO ALTERNATIVE JOB IS AN IDIOT AND DESERVES TO BE FIRED
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by mikolo80: 1:58pm On May 24, 2012
ANYONE WHO GOES ON STRIKE WITH NO ALTERNATIVE JOB IS AN IDIOT AND DESERVES TO BE FIRED.STUPID MOTHERFUCKERS THAT DID NOT VOTE FOR GOOD LEADERS AND ARE NOW COMPLAINING
Re: Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola by allycat: 2:09pm On May 24, 2012
PeterKbaba:

Igbo racist... is your state anywere close to the lagos state's health facilities.. even when your population is as low as 6 million and collecting the highest allocation in nigeria.. Lagos alone as a population of 20 million.

Sorry I am not Igbo, so you are insulting Igbo people for nothing and making it so obvious you are a tribalist yourself.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Successfully Quit Nail Biting. / How To Consume Slimming Tea For The Best Results / Patients Starve As Food Stocks Dry Up At Zimbabwe Government Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.