Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,899 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood (9932 Views)

Full List Of 2015 African Movie Academy Awards (AMAA) Nominees / Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? / Movie Industry Vs Music Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by obong(m): 2:56pm On Apr 03, 2006
without better protection for copyrighted materials, nigerians wont invest time and money in these pictures. the government has a hand in this area as well
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by Reba(f): 4:23pm On Apr 03, 2006
South Africa has risen its flag very high in terms of movie industry.Two times in a row the SA movies nominated for an Oscar and this year we have just done it.and to say the truth our movies are far much beta compare to naija.
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by obong(m): 7:45pm On Apr 03, 2006
but how many peple bother to watch the south african movies, despite its accolades. ultimately the oscars are subjective. but people buying your movies in droves is likely a testiment to thier ability to connect with the audience
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by Reba(f): 9:39am On Apr 04, 2006
obong,you can'nt just admit the truth u have seen many post giving applause to our movies any way, we all have different ideas,did u c the latest for Leon Schuster (Mama Jack) its hilarious any way thats ur opinion and if somebody deserve credit s/he must given that credit. wink
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by Desola(f): 10:35am On Apr 04, 2006
Ynot, Nigeria goes by the british legal system and not America. We do not say your honour and we would wear wigs and gowns as they do in the UK.
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by smokie(m): 12:09pm On Apr 04, 2006
I'm South African and having viewed a couple of Nigeria movies(if I can call them that) my conclusion was that the industry despite the hype needed a lot of support from government if it was really to be successful.

In South Africa, people have been making movies forever but it's only in the last five years that the industry has really taken, and this was after several conferences and assistance from the private sector who recognised the economic potential of growing film industry.

On average about four/five South African movies are made every year as opposed to the thousands made in Nigeria. Movies are like a business, you write a business plan, you approach potential investors, draw up a budget and hopefully after a year you movie will be made. For instance Tsotsi took well over three years to make from scripting to it's final post production.

When people are not making movies they're kept busy with television, commercial and documentary productions which happen throughout the year.
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by obong(m): 2:35pm On Apr 04, 2006
obong,you can'nt just admit the truth u have seen many post giving applause to our movies any way, we all have different ideas,did u c the latest for Leon Schuster (Mama Jack) its hilarious any way thats your opinion and if somebody deserve credit s/he must given that credit.

reba, you can't see the difference between style over substance. lik pointed out, its the same with literature. how many people hhave read gordimer or J.M. despite them winning the nobel prize. yet ask any africa about the works of achebe and soyinka and they know them well. same goes for south africa movies. they are good in style, but frankly the world, outside of the few prizes it wins in the wes,t isnt paying attention to SA movies. tell me, since no bollywood movie has won and oscar, would you consider the south african film indutry superior to indias?

but either way, it's a difference of opinion. hopefuly some blacksin south africa will also start making movies as well
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by olalekanhs(m): 2:45pm On Apr 04, 2006
We still can't take the praise from movie like igodo (English movie),Hostages,agogo iwo thunderbold saworoide.Despite the lack of regulation and inadequate policies nigerian have movie have risen above the troubled water to make quality movies
it is the nigerian spirit to rise despite all ods
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by queen2006(f): 2:56pm On Apr 05, 2006
South African movies are coming up strong. Not to say Nigerian movies are not great either. I love Nigerian movies. We've featured Presley Chwenayagae on the cover of our magazine. He is the star in the Oscar winning movie TsoTsi.

check out www.africanvibes.com It's a great magazine for contemporary Africans.
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by HORAK(m): 4:13pm On Apr 05, 2006
WHEN YOU GO OUT TO MAKE A MOVIE YOU HAVE TO PLAN IT ALLOUT TO AVOID SCREW UPS.I MEAN I GET THIS CREEPS WHEN I WATCH SOME NOLLYWOOD STUFF.
EVER SEEN 'CARCASS", THERE WAS THIS APPALLING SCENE IN THAT WOODS WHERE A GUY GOT HIT ON HIS BALLS BY A FEMALE HE WAS ABOUT TO ASSAULT AND WATCH HIS MOVE WHEN HE IS ABOUT TO FALL IN PAIN-THIS GUY HELD HIS CROTCH LOOKED AT THE GROUND BEHIND HIM BEFORE CREASHING DOWN IN PAINS. WONDERFUL. AND YOU GUYS ARE OKAY WITH SUCH Z-CLASS ACTING. Hmmph.
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by themaster2: 3:58pm On Apr 16, 2006
TSOTSI winning the award for the best foreign film at the peak of "filmdom"-the oscars, YESTERDAY, nominated the year before, hey com'on guys what are we saying I have seen the movie- TSOSTI and its making [www.tsotsi.com]. It cost $[/b]5million to make. Which Nigerian film has ever come dat close? Maybe the biggest is [b]N[/b]5million. [plz note the currency signs!]

People flood the theaters to see SA movie, can the same be said of our "OWAMBE" movies?

But i tell you something, with the new crop of movie makers that Nigeria will raise in the coming years, south african movie industry is gonna have a good run for their money.

And by the way watch out for this name: [b]GBENGA SALU
[color=#990000][/color]!
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by themaster2: 4:56pm On Apr 16, 2006
Just one simple statement to the organisers of this so-called[b] The African Movie Academy Awards, [/b] {www.ama-awards.com}

If TSOTSI does not win the award for the best film in africa category. It is then that my claims will be further established that AMAA is nothing but a piece of yearly TV comedy cocktail show, designed to bring the stardom-headfilled Nigerian actors and actresses to come show off their cheap wardrobe contents.

And by the way, maybe you dont know, tsotsi is a $5million budget south african film that won the best foreign language category in the most prestigous movie spectacle-the oscars!

if it can win at the oscars, i bet it would be a thing of priviledge to your show, for you to have it win your awards or dont you think?

the only saving grace you have is to change the name from The African Movie Academy Awards (AMAA) to The Nigerian Movie Academy Awards (NMAA). So we can know it is a full-fledged "OWAMBE" party.

I will just cross my fingers till 26th april, and when what i suspect happens, i would proceed further to spreading this throughout the media! because you people cant continue to fool us, why why but why the same mistakes of our leaders!!!

And by the way, i'm NIGERIAN, not south african.Infact my name is GBENGA!

i dare you organisers to repond to this mail! I already suspect that you would chicken out and not respond. Anyway, i dont need your response.

-Gbenga
Lagos, Nigeria.
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by Seun(m): 9:32pm On Jan 28, 2007
What people are buying and watching is a better measure of succes than awards like the Oscars.
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by LoverBwoy(m): 10:41pm On Jan 28, 2007
what, you think a mass produced peugot 504 is better than a limited edition porsche 911? undecided
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by Seun(m): 8:27am On Jan 29, 2007
Mass produced cars have a much greater effect on our lives. They are able to reach the common man. Why develop a car that only a few people will ever drive? Why make a "good" (i.e. expensive) film that no one is watching?
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by dblock(m): 11:03am On Jan 29, 2007
Who created this thread cry cry cry cry ,Just another topic for complaining about Nigeria. Not that there is anything wrong in that, to move forward you've got to know your problems, but was this thread created so we could know what our problems are and where nollywood stands or to highlight how bad the industry is. Don't reply to my post (It may be contoversial or depicted as Idiotic, but I think it's the truth, remember don't reply to my post)
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by delvinmaya(m): 11:08pm On Feb 02, 2007
i would love and very much love to point out the fact that wherevere you go you hear about nollywood, i mean we really have to give it to these guys, out of nothing they have sprouted out a money spinning industry which the government is yet to tap, but still we dont have to compare them with south africans movie industry cos these guys have the resourcxes while their nigerian counterparts have to make do with outdated machineries, cry come on guys give them a break. And here is to another hollywood in Nigeria, NOLLYWOOD
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by Horus(m): 12:59pm On Dec 18, 2009
Nollywood has reached a stage where all these sitcome dramas should stop and project on ideas that are affecting nigerian socio-political problems of the society. The Nigerian Film industry can be a radical medium that could be effectively used to change the mentality of the general society if not most especially nigerian political leaders.
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by RSA(m): 4:09pm On Jul 16, 2010
Maybe those who are not familiar with the South African Film industry should check this site.

http://www.moviesite.co.za/
Re: South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood by Boyviid: 5:52pm On Feb 19
Nigeria film industry which is called "Nollywood" is now the second biggest film industry in the world right now... followed by Bollywood
"Nollywood" is now competing with the Hollywood and Bollywood movies in terms of film making..
The last south African movie was sarafina "freedom must come tomorrow" and "Mr bone"and the rest..
Since then I haven't watched any current south African movies.. I don't think their even making film..
Nigeria movie are now making quality movies..
Nollywood is the top best in Africa.. in my own suggestion.. I will like Nigeria Nollywood to allow our own Africa brothers and sisters to join our film industry.. together as Africa we will share our culture in different countries in the world 🌎

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is The "Contains Flash Photography" Warning Important In Some News Bulletin? / Movies With The Most Surprising/twisted Endings / African American Movies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.