Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,636 members, 7,958,912 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 07:16 AM

TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! (7523 Views)

NERC Set To Release New Electricity Tariff / The New Electricity Tariffs From July 2015 / Buhari Rejects New CSO By DSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by Loskee(f): 12:03pm On May 25, 2012
Besides, we'll all want stable power supply yet we don't want to pay for it

bros, make we see a test-run of 24-hr power supply, then you will know whether or not Nigerians will do anything to pay for it. since i was born and now i am getting old, i have NEVER seen 24/7 power supply by NEPA
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by omodapson(m): 12:11pm On May 25, 2012
This is phucking crazy. Fixed charge will be jumping from N75.00 to N500.00! shocked
It is only God that can save us from the heartless, blood sucking politicians.
Even if light no blink for a whole month, i will be forced to cough out N500.00 for a service not rendered?
Nigerians must kick against this. It is simply enslavement.
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by omodapson(m): 12:22pm On May 25, 2012
mekaboy: [b]THESE PEOPLE HAVE COME AGAIN , " THE POOR WILL PAY LESS" HOW CAN THEY TELL WHO IS THE POOR AND RICH? ARE THEY GOING TO CONSIDER THE AREA THE PERSON IS LIVING OR COUNT THE NUMBER OF GADGETS ONE HAS TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE. SO SOMEONE WHO LIVES IN A DUPLEX IN A NICE AREA, WILL BE CONSIDERED RICH BECAUSE HE USES AIR CONDITION, THEN THE PERSON WHO LIVES IN A POOR AREA, AND YET HAS A HIGH VOLTAGE COMMERCIAL PRINTING MACHINE, WILL PAY LESS BECAUSE HE IS CONSIDERED POOR?

OK , SO THEY BELIEVE ITS THE POOR PEOPLE THAT WILL PROTEST ABI? WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THEY START TO CHARGE THOSE WHO HAVE FACTORIES AND BAKERIES MORE ? WONT THEY INCREASE THE PRICE OF THEIR PRODUCTS TO AFFECT REFLECT THE INCREASE IN TARIFFS ? THEN THE POOR WILL END UP PAYING ALOT TO BUY THESE PRODUCTS. IT WILL AFFECT EVERYBODY, SO THEY SHOULD FORGET THIS RICH AND POOR RUBBISH THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. LET EVERYONE PAY FOR WHAT THEY USE.

YOU KNOW HOW NIGERIANS ARE, THEY WILL GO AND GIVE BRIBE TO PHCN STAFF TO CLASSIFY THEM UNDER THE POOR WHILE THEY ARE RUNNING FACTORIES. AND THEN THOSE WHO ARE POOR WILL BE CHARGED AS RICH . grin grin grin

WE HAVE NOT SEEN AN IMPROVEMENT IN POWER AND THEY WANT US TO START PAYING MORE, THOSE INVOLVED IN THE SUBSIDY SCAM WE HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING. BESIDES THIS LOAN THE FEDERAL GOVT IS PLANNING TO GO FOR, WHAT WILL IT BE USED FOR ? CANT THEY INVEST THE MONEY INTO POWER AND LET NIGERIAN ENJOY STEADY ELECTRICITY FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR BEFORE THEY INCREASE THE TARIFF [/b]

My God go bless you. How do you classify between a rich man and a poor man? We have rich men living in poor areas and poor men living in rich areas. A poor bachelor for instance who is fortunate to live in a high brow area but struggles to make ends meet will be forced to pay as the rich people living in the area. Why not make it a flat rate for residential? If they want the rich to pay more, they can always design a special tax system for them. In that way, no one will be victimised unnecessarily.
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by vacanci: 12:27pm On May 25, 2012
[size=20pt]WHO ARE LIFE LINE CUSTOMERS[/size]
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by Bontee: 12:56pm On May 25, 2012
More tarrifs

Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by Aladinn(m): 12:59pm On May 25, 2012
deenee: I always tell people that the problem with our great country is the mindset and mentality of her citizens! We all agree that lack of stable power supply is a one of the major problems hindering the growth of the economy. Imagine how many SMEs have closed shop and many others battling with running cost tied to power supply. Before we start throwing temper tantrums, I would suggest a cursory look at the transaction documents for the privatization of PHCN. The tarrif quotes herein is still amongst the cheapest in the world and is based on a worst case scenario analysis which implies that once the human and capital infrastructure is on ground prices will eventually fall in line with market forces. Besides, we'll all want stable power supply yet we don't want to pay for it. Of course, the PHCN workers will frown at this because it will no longer be business as usual for them and it has been stated that prepaid meters will be installed so we only get to pay for what we use. I was in Nigeria recently and was surprised when I saw a saw a friend leaving his outdoor lights on in broad daylight yet he will complain when he is slammed with a huge bill. In the US, I pay on average twice of what is proposed in the new tarriff, bearing in mind that I live alone and spend not more than 6-7 hours at home daily. God bless Nigeria!
Your comparism is unjust. Is Nigeria on the same GDP level with America that should justify the high power bill? The $16 billion power project didnt give us light and you expect the people not to throw tantrums at another scheme intended to milk them dry? Is that the way American government lie to her citizens and not provide the basic ammenities for the people? Maybe you should relocate to Nigerian. Let's see if you wouldn't be part of those people throwing tantrums.

1 Like

Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by Chidex2442(m): 1:15pm On May 25, 2012
instead of lukin 4 standby electricity in nigeria 2day pls luk for standby generator cos it cnt work out lolz....
Since mechano invested in nigeria we had dis electricity wahala fed. Govt jst depend on the tax this man pays.
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by Chidex2442(m): 1:23pm On May 25, 2012
if nigeria has standby electricity 2day who will buy the remainin generators we have in d shop? And many ppl live 4rm d importation of generators so who will pay dis ppl!
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by donguutti: 1:41pm On May 25, 2012
Bontee.thanks for the pics, i have been searching for those for a while, not even
the NERC has the boldness to put it on their website. i foresee mass beating of PHCN
staff as these insane bills come onstream,How will they determine consumption rate
or would they continue using the same Residential area system they have now,why would
a Residential 3&4 KWHRz(price) be higher than that of commercial or industrial

I am seriously considering turning my house to a factory, if this goes through, what is
it with the crazy fixed charge , those guys at NERC must have lost it,so we have gone from
having the lowest price to having the highest(in africa) without any increase in Generation
.BTW these tariffs to not tally with prices on the much touted MYTO document.
for most of us who dont understand the prices, just multiply ur current bill by 2 and then
put 22,000 per month fixed charge, then u will get ur new bill, for me that 32k per month
for 7 hours of power (1.00 am to 8.00am)vampire time

i better use the money to buy a GUN as the bill collection might turn ugly
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by SEGAD: 1:51pm On May 25, 2012
deenee: I always tell people that the problem with our great country is the mindset and mentality of her citizens! We all agree that lack of stable power supply is a one of the major problems hindering the growth of the economy. Imagine how many SMEs have closed shop and many others battling with running cost tied to power supply. Before we start throwing temper tantrums, I would suggest a cursory look at the transaction documents for the privatization of PHCN. The tarrif quotes herein is still amongst the cheapest in the world and is based on a worst case scenario analysis which implies that once the human and capital infrastructure is on ground prices will eventually fall in line with market forces. Besides, we'll all want stable power supply yet we don't want to pay for it. Of course, the PHCN workers will frown at this because it will no longer be business as usual for them and it has been stated that prepaid meters will be installed so we only get to pay for what we use. I was in Nigeria recently and was surprised when I saw a saw a friend leaving his outdoor lights on in broad daylight yet he will complain when he is slammed with a huge bill. In the US, I pay on average twice of what is proposed in the new tarriff, bearing in mind that I live alone and spend not more than 6-7 hours at home daily. God bless Nigeria!

Your comparism is totally wrong. Government should improve the electricity at lease by 50% and increase the tarrif in the same proportion, then increase the performance to 75% and also the tarrif. Not increase the tarrif before improvement, fuel subsidy issue is a good example. We don't have goverment in Nigeria but thieves and rogues
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by sureboykris(m): 2:21pm On May 25, 2012
Is our nation cursed or what?GEJ seems to ve forgotten"he had no shoes". We r still nursing d wounds caused by subsidy removal n he has come with another policy to impoverish us. For how long do we stand by n watch. NLC has been unusually quiet about this issue. Ve their palms been "greased"?how can U̶̲̥̅̊ ask me to pay more wen for 2weeks i ve not seen light. Y do these peep want to destroy this country.y can't they focus more on d distribution of d pre paid meters first.that way we will c that they r honest about their intention. Till then all i c now is SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM. WHY CAN'T THESE WICKED LEADERS JUS DIE AND LEAVE US

1 Like

Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by femmy2010(m): 2:30pm On May 25, 2012
We are presently paying for what we are not using and yet the government still wants us to pay much more for what we are not using.
This is wickedness to its highest order.
Haba GEJ.
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by sureboykris(m): 2:33pm On May 25, 2012
deenee: I always tell people that the problem with our great country is the mindset and mentality of her citizens! We all agree that lack of stable power supply is a one of the major problems hindering the growth of the economy. Imagine how many SMEs have closed shop and many others battling with running cost tied to power supply. Before we start throwing temper tantrums, I would suggest a cursory look at the transaction documents for the privatization of PHCN. The tarrif quotes herein is still amongst the cheapest in the world and is based on a worst case scenario analysis which implies that once the human and capital infrastructure is on ground prices will eventually fall in line with market forces. Besides, we'll all want stable power supply yet we don't want to pay for it. Of course, the PHCN workers will frown at this because it will no longer be business as usual for them and it has been stated that prepaid meters will be installed so we only get to pay for what we use. I was in Nigeria recently and was surprised when I saw a saw a friend leaving his outdoor lights on in broad daylight yet he will complain when he is slammed with a huge bill. In the US, I pay on average twice of what is proposed in the new tarriff, bearing in mind that I live alone and spend not more than 6-7 hours at home daily. God bless Nigeria! Guy i think its better U̶̲̥̅̊ go back to d US. Nigerians r willing to pay. Let them jus provide pre paid meters, improve power n bill us. We will pay. y us common sense no longer available in this country. Mcheeew
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by Acelifted: 3:33pm On May 25, 2012
TUC, NLC, PDP....call it anything! They are bunch of sellouts and enemies of progress and of Nigerians.
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by ochiaha1(m): 3:49pm On May 25, 2012
Well-Spoken, Peter Esele !!! The government is putting the cart before the horse, once again angry

The ideal thing would have been for the government to supply everyone with pre-paid meter first, so that you know how much you pay for actual electricity consumed on a monthly basis, so that by the time the new tariff is implemented,you could calculate, based on per kilowatt hour, how much you electricity bill will increase.

I am making the above suggestion because of my own peculiar case. I am charged about N5,000 per month, by PHCN estimation, for electricity I do not actually consume, while a friend with a similar rate of electricity consumption as mine, but has a pre-paid meter actually pays about N1,500 per month sad

With the propsed increment, my electricity bill will likely go up to about N7,500 per month, while the friend with a pre-paid meter might just be paying N2,500 PER Month, this is nothing, but daylight robbery angry

I hope Labour stands its ground and insist that pre-paid meters should be installed for all electricity consumers first, before any increase per kilo-watt hour of electricity cost is implemented.
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by Bontee: 3:52pm On May 25, 2012
donguutti: Bontee.thanks for the pics, i have been searching for those for a while, not even
the NERC has the boldness to put it on their website. i foresee mass beating of PHCN
staff as these insane bills come onstream,How will they determine consumption rate
or would they continue using the same Residential area system they have now,why would
a Residential 3&4 KWHRz(price) be higher than that of commercial or industrial

I am seriously considering turning my house to a factory, if this goes through, what is
it with the crazy fixed charge , those guys at NERC must have lost it,so we have gone from
having the lowest price to having the highest(in africa) without any increase in Generation
.BTW these tariffs to not tally with prices on the much touted MYTO document.
for most of us who dont understand the prices, just multiply ur current bill by 2 and then
put 22,000 per month fixed charge, then u will get ur new bill, for me that 32k per month
for 7 hours of power (1.00 am to 8.00am)vampire time

i better use the money to buy a GUN as the bill collection might turn ugly

You are welcome my brother and actually those documents are there in the NERC site but hidden so you have to dig deep, i actually have the links to all the documents and if you need them just let me know and i will post it here. The calculations and assumptions they made in arriving at this prices are there too. I will keep on posting and i would have uploaded the main documents but there is a limit on file size here so that's why i am posting it one after the other. i will keep on posting more since i can see that some people are interested and lastly these prices are based on the myto but improved version christened myto_2. So the old prices do not apply anymore but what am posting here.
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by Bontee: 3:58pm On May 25, 2012
More Tariffs

Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by abacus(m): 4:20pm On May 25, 2012

shocked ... They are at it again..

In USA do you experience stable power supply? If yes, so don't blame the masses if we don't trust/support this government. You are not sensitive to our plight at all, GEJ increased fuel price, I fuel my gen, GEJ increase electricity tarrif, I don't stop fueling my gen.

Why can't this GEJ get it right for once?
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by mikeapollo: 5:06pm On May 25, 2012
I hope the ignorant Nigerians who go about deceiving themselves and other ignorant people that Nigeria is doing other countries a favour by supplying electricity to Niger Republic have now realised the fact that Niger Republic is actually doing us a favour by not damming the rivers on which we have our power-generating dams!

In other words, if Niger Republic decides to block and dam the river(s)(e.g. as a result of dispute/conflict/war),the water cannot flow into our country and Nigeria would be without electricity!.

We Nigerians should take time to learn and find out the true information/position of things before we go about bragging/boasting about Nigeria spoon-feeding/helping/doing favour to virtually every African nation that has some relationship with us......e.g. Niger, Ghana, S/Africa etc. I laugh whenever I hear some people say Nigeria supplies electricity to a country like Ghana!
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by donguutti: 5:18pm On May 25, 2012
thanks Bontee, i have found the files and currently analyzing then with some friends and
and it was underwhelming, imagine comparing price per kilowatt to price per minute for
phone calls, also on that table(myto for the layman doc) they tell us that the price per kwhr
when using petrol generators is N22, which is also the same price for MYTO, and if u add
the fixed charges, petrol generators become cheaper, why then should consumers use
PHCN.

Secondly in the whole documents they never explained the reasons for the fixed charges,
there was no load assumption as in myto1 and so we have no target for generation, so
they might just bill us like crazy wit no increase whatsoever.

they have so far not convinced me that they have any credible roadmap to achieving stable power
supply, the only option they have shown is- "WE WOULD INCREASE AND *HOPE* INVESTORS COME"

still looking through some of the files though , would update when im done.
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by brabus(m): 5:32pm On May 25, 2012
Loskee: Besides, we'll all want stable power supply yet we don't want to pay for it

bros, make we see a test-run of 24-hr power supply, then you will know whether or not Nigerians will do anything to pay for it. since i was born and now i am getting old, i have NEVER seen 24/7 power supply by NEPA

So what's the guarantee that we'll see uninterrupted power supply after the proposed tariff increase. Should increment be the first thing?

What about distribution? Abi na those illegal connections go supply 24/7 power supply
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by brabus(m): 5:51pm On May 25, 2012

Cheapest my foot. Come back and enjoy the cheapest tariff nah!

omodapson: This is phucking crazy. Fixed charge will be jumping from N75.00 to N500.00! shocked
It is only God that can save us from the heartless, blood sucking politicians.
Even if light no blink for a whole month, i will be forced to cough out N500.00 for a service not rendered?
Nigerians must kick against this. It is simply enslavement.

Save your money to buy GUN! Your people abroad are already supporting it.
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by Wadosky(m): 6:53am On May 26, 2012
Oga Jonathan really needs some money against 2015,he is so desperate but our God will fight for us.
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by becky4med: 2:34pm On Jun 06, 2012
ok...Just made payment at NEPA office some days ago and I need some clarification on the details below.

The last payment I made was on the 30th of March 2012.

Fixed Charge: 150.00
Tarriff Rate: 7.30
Tarriff Class: R2
Energy: 370.84
Energy Sum: 2707.14
Vat: 142.86
Total: 3000.00

I didn't have to credit my account again until yesterday as we rarely have light and we mostly survive on Generator despite the harsh weather condition until now (Thank God for the rain smiley).

The current payment made on the 4th of June 2012

Fixed Charge: 1,500.00
Tarriff Rate: 12.45
Energy: 109.01
Energy Sum: 1,357.14
Total 3,000.00

My question is this, If the increase in Fixed Charge is 500.00, and it's to take effect from the 1st of June, why was 1,500.00 deducted from my account as payment for 3 months Fixed Charge i.e. April = 500, May = 500, June = 500 and the reason for me not exhausting my credit was due to the unavailability of power?

What is going on?

angry angry
Re: TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! by becky4med: 2:34pm On Jun 06, 2012
ok...Just made payment at NEPA office some days ago and I need some clarification on the details below.

The last payment I made was on the 30th of March 2012.

Fixed Charge: 150.00
Tarriff Rate: 7.30
Energy: 370.84
Energy Sum: 2707.14
Total: 3000.00

I didn't have to credit my account again until yesterday as we rarely have light and we mostly survive on Generator despite the harsh weather condition until now (Thank God for the rain smiley).

The current payment made on the 4th of June 2012

Fixed Charge: 1,500.00
Tarriff Rate: 12.45
Energy: 109.01
Energy Sum: 1,357.14
Total 3,000.00

My question is this, If the increase in Fixed Charge is 500.00, and it's to take effect from the 1st of June, why was 1,500.00 deducted from my account as payment for 3 months Fixed Charge i.e. April = 500, May = 500, June = 500 and the reason for me not exhausting my credit was due to the unavailability of power?

What is going on?

angry angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

See How Ugandan Women Are Being Tortured, Raped & Humiliated Without Help In Mid / Take A Look At Federal Appointments Under Goodluck Jonathan / Why I Was Confident Buhari’ll Win – Sokoto Campaign DG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.